Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kingston Digital 16 GB USB 2.0 Hi-speedDatatraveler Flash Drive DTIG3/16GBZ, White and Blue
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 23, 2011
I bought this USB drive without any hesitation, because I've been using the older model for years and very happy with DataTraveler's design/quality/performance/durability. But I was wrong. The person who designed this 3rd generation Kingston DataTraveler is an idiot. Here are the reasons:

1. Thicker than the older model, which means when it is plugged into a USB port on my ThinkPad, the other adjacent USB port on top is unusable, unless the other USB device has a very thin connector.
2. Slippery cap. The design of the cap, slippery finishing and the elliptic curve make it very hard to hold.
3. The cap can't stay on the rear end of the drive. It means that sooner or later I will lose the cap and my 1-year old baby has a better chance to swallow it.
4. The lanyard hole on the rear end is way too small. Even the thinnest keychain ring has no way to go through it.
5. The drive doesn't have a light indicator during active data transfer.
6. The metal USB connector has some room to nudge around within the two pieces of plastic shells. Cheap crappy feeling. A tiny amount of liquid can penetrate into it.

My older model of a 4G has no any problem I listed above and is still working nicely. It even survived in washing machine once I forgot to take it out from my pants while doing laundry. Very impressive that the designer can make the latest generation of DataTraveler so bad!!!
1515 comments|166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 8, 2011
Bottom-Line: I couldn't ask for a better portable memory product than the "DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive."

It has become a habit for me to carry at least one USB memory stick in my laptop backpack along with my laptop, both personal and business. I used to use Lexar Media USB Jump-Drive's exclusively, but my memory requirement quickly out-paced their ability to introduce new larger capacity memory sticks. So last year I switched to the Kingston DataTraveler 4GB 2.0 Flash Drive I purchased at Buy.com for a reasonable price, plus it had a rebate offer.

But, when my Windows 7 64-bit desktop recent show signs of running out of the 4GB of Ram I had installed, instead of purchasing more SDRAM I decided to take advantage of the Operating System's (OS) Ready Boost Technology and purchased Kingston "DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 Generation 3 (G3) Flash Drive" for a fraction of the cost of (4) more sticks of SDRAM.

Then Along Came an Even Smaller Chip:

Computer technology seems to move at a pace designed to keep us, the end user, always wanting for the latest and greatest, whether we need it or not. Every once in a while thought, there comes a product that revolutionizes the way we compute and share information. Such was the case with the introduction of CD/RW technology, and so it is with the advent of USB flash memory devices.

For the uninitiated, USB flash memory devices are small ultra-portable devices capable of storing from 32MB to a now astounding 64.0GB of memory storage in a single, very portable device. All are designed to transfer data via an available USB port; Note: though most of the older flash drives are backwards compatible with versions 1.1, 1.2, USB, the new devices for the most part are not. Most flash drives are designed to be carried on a key chain. That should give you an indication of their size and portability.

The Drive

The "DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive" is remarkably small (about 3 inches long), high capacity yellow and white USB Flash Drive with a storage capacity of 8.0GB (about 7.68GB after formatting). On one end of the drive is a male USB connector. Close to it large circular green LED that blinks when the drive is sending or receiving information. A color coordinated plastic cap covers the USB port end of the drive, and a small flimsy lanyard can be attached at the end of the drive. The lanyard has a small ring at the end that can be attached to a key ring.

There are no drivers to install, and the drive is compatible with both Windows Vista and Windows 7, as well as Mac OS X.

What is ReadyBoost?

As I stated in the beginning of the review, I purchased the DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive in order to take advantage of Windows 7 Enterprise Edition's Ready Boost Technology. But what is ReadyBoost? It is a technology whereby you can increase the RAM capacity of the OS without having to install more SDRAM.

ReadyBoost--introduced with Windows Vista) is disk caching, pure and simple (remember Windows Swapfiles?; in other words nothing really new here), only instead of using a hard drive to cache data, Windows 7 can utilize removable storage such as USB flash drives, SD Media Cards, Compact Flash Cards, and the flash memory technology.

By utilizing a ReadyBoost-capable flash memory device for caching Windows 7 can service random disk reads with performance that is typically 80-100 times faster than random reads from traditional SATA hard drives. And that caching routine applies to all disk content, not just the page file, or system files like Dynamic Link Library's (DLL's).

When a ReadyBoost-compatible device is plugged in a computers' (or monitor) USB or media card reader, the Windows AutoPlay dialog box offers an additional option to use the flash drive to speed up the system; an additional ReadyBoost tab is added to the flash drive's properties menu dialog box wherein the amount of space to be used can be configured; denominations from 250 MB to 256 GB of flash memory can be assigned, and Windows 7 then creates a pagefile on the drive in that amount. Ready Boost also automatically compresses any data written to the pagefile with a 2:1 compression ratio, so that an 8GB cache could contain upwards of 16 GB of data.

Windows 7 can utilize up to (8) flash memory devices for a maximum of 256GB (512GB with compression) of additional memory. In order for Windows to use the device it must have at least 1ms or less access time; must be capable of 2.5MB/s access (read) speed, and; 1.75MB/s write access speed.

First Impressions:

I love this drive! Light and transparent, the DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive fits easily into my breast pocket or one of the numerous side and or interior pockets in my laptop case. But because the drive does not include a shirt pocket clip I cannot carry it that way, which is just as well. Unlike other drives I have had in the past the USB port cover fits snuggly on both ends; I have yet to lose one.

But, like I stated at the outset, I bought this drive specially to use with ReadyBoost, so out of the package I slipped it into one of the front USB 2.0 ports on my desktop computer. The DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive easily met the ReadyBoost requirements and the resulting AutoPlay dialog box allowed me the set the drive up with the technology. I utilize 4GB of the available 8GB.

Windows 7 took less than a minute to create the cache file, afterwards the DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive became just another drive letter the 3.55GB of available space to read and write from! A quick look at Task Manager did not detect any increase in physical memory and that is to be expected.

Be advised, that if you have a preponderance of mapped drives already on your computer, as I do, Windows XP may not assign your removable media the next open drive letter; this happen to me. If you insert the DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive and get the message that new hardware has been found and is now available for use, but the device is not assigned a drive letter, you must go to Control Panel /Administrative Tools/ Computer Manager/ Disk Manager, to manually assign the drive letter.

I have created several Windows "Briefcases" (I love Windows briefcases) on the remaining space of DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive into which I have "synced" all of my most important files from my work desktop. These are the same files I have available on my desktop via Windows "off-line files and folders." I routinely transfers files from my desktop computer to my workstation computer at home via the DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive and some other flash drives I keep stashed away. And because the memory in the device is none-volatile, once removed from the USB port, your files follow you wherever you go. Nothing could be simpler; nothing could be easier; nothing could be more advanced!

Conclusion

I couldn't ask for a better portable memory product than the "DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive." Small, affordable, lightweight, versatile, and extremely utilitarian, the "DataTranveler 8GB 2.0 G3 Flash Drive" is my new my new best friend. If you need a small, versatile, hi-speed, large capacity USB Flash Drive, look no further than this Flash Drive by Kingston Technology.
2323 comments|140 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 11, 2011
Before I order this. Some reviewer said it is very slow, 5 MB/s write speed.
However, I test it by my own.It turns out to be a fast enough USD flash drive. It can reach 10 MB/s writing speed on my laptop.
on May 14, 2011
I use these to back up items on my computer. It has enough storage to put like files on but not too large to make finding files difficult. I use it to back up photos for example and can put all from a particular time period or event together.
on February 25, 2011
These are fantastic flash drives, but watch out for counterfeit ones; they are packaged and look just like real ones, but don't work as well.

Sometimes even the vendors don't know they are selling counterfeit stuff. (...or at least they swear that they didn't know, and it came straight from Kingston...) :-/

Google "Kinsgston flash verifier" once you get them, enter the info from the package, and you'll get an email whether they are fake or not.

The real ones are excellent!
on April 6, 2011
so far this has been a good thumbdrive as I expected. It's cutely retro looking. The only reason I'm rating it down a star is because I wish either the cap was attached or was retractable- I find the only way to break these things is if the usb-part gets bent from when you lose your cap ;)
i looked around, this was the cheapest 8gig when including shipping,
on August 17, 2011
I purchased two of these 8gb flash drives to use for flashing the firmware on my electronic devices and moving files easier across different computers in my home. The flash drives came in a pretty easy to open package that anyone could open with their hands unlike some of the clam shell packages that require knives or scissors to open. The USB flash drive itself is made out of plastic and has a very narrow key ring area that requires a separate key ring for each one of these that you own, this is because since the key ring area on the flash drive is so narrow the key ring wont let you add/remove any other items when you have this flash drive in the key ring. This is a little bit troublesome for some owners and could cause the key ring area of the flash drive to break in the future since it is made out of plastic after all and its very narrow. It would be nice if it came in different colors for people that own more then one so that they could be more easily distinguished from each other. Overall, these are the pros, cons, and my conclusion for this product:

Pros
-----------
- Cheap, I purchased two for $8 each.
- Average Transfer Speed
- Easy to use (plug and play)
- Easy to open packaging
- Brand is known for reliable budget memory (Kingston)

Cons
-----------
- Only comes in one color
- Narrow keyring area, I can see it breaking very easily in the future.
- Made out of plastic (not very durable)
- It did not come with a neck strap.
- No extra caps in case you lose the original cap.

Conclusion
-----------
For $8 each it was a good buy. If you want something high performance and dont mind spending more money then I suggest getting a Corsair Flash Voyager 8 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive CMFUSB2.0-8GB or OCZ 8GB Rally 2 USB 2.0 Dual Channel Flash Memory Drive (OCZUSBR2DC-8GB) when they have deals on those flash drives, for the price however I just couldnt pass up this Kingston USB 2.0 Flash drive at $8 for 8gb.
on March 2, 2011
Copies data much faster than my old Flash drive. Easy to install.
got it for Good price.I would Recommend this product.
VINE VOICEon January 10, 2011
I've been using this Kingston flash drive for almost 3 months on pretty much a daily basis. It works great on Mac's and PC's and is instantly recognized. I've never had a failure with a Kingston flash drive; I recommend them highly.
on April 6, 2012
I bought 3 of these when on sale and the price was very good. They do hold the correct amount of storage however that is all I can say good about them. All 3 drives are very slow. 4M/s write and 16m/s read with h2testw. I tested an older 8G Kingston G2 drive and it got 11.5 write and 20 read in the same USB port as the G3 models. I would say it's a bad stick except all 3 are slow so a bad batch? I will not be buying any more of these and cannot recommend them.