Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kingston Digital 16 GB Class 10 Flash Memory Card SD10G2/16GB
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Prior to the purchase of this item ("Kingston 16 GB Class-10 SDHC card"), I have bought several other Kingston memory cards, including the Kingston 16 GB Class 4 SDHC and Kingston 8 GB Class 4 microSDHC Card. They were all reasonably priced, and performed up to specifications. So I never had a problem with Kingston - until this time.

I benchmarked the Kingston SD10G2 card upon its arrival. The result I got was so appalling that I have to re-run the tests on two different computers to confirmed it: This so-called 'Class-10' card is actually much slower than any of the 'class-4' SDHC card I have ever tested before!

- When writing small files of 1MB each, the speed of this card is painfully slow at just 0.8MB/s
- When writing larger files of 5MB each, the speed increased to 4.9MB/s
(see the screen capture I uploaded to Customer Images section for details)
- Only when writing a huge file of 1GB size, the speed finally reached 10.7MB/s.

In contrast, the Transcend 16GB TS16GSDHC10 (which is also classified as 'class-10') delivered 9.9MB/s when writing 1MB files, and 12.8MB/s for 5MB files. In fact, even my previous Kingston 16GB class-4 card gave much better results of 3.7 and 8.0MB/s, respective.

In order for a SDHC card to be marketed as 'class-10', it must have a sequential read/write speed of at least 10 Mega Byte per second. This Kingston card barely meets the requirement under the most optimal test condition. However, when used in a digital camera (either point-and-shoot or SLR), this so-called 'class-10' card actually performs much wosre than a typical class-4 card.

As of this writing, you can buy other cards (such as the HP 16 GB Class 4 SDHC) for less but get better overall performance than this Kingston card. Also as a matter of principle, I refuse to support any company engaging in this kind of deceptive marketing techniques. This card is going back for a refund, and I will be leery of other Kingston products from now on.

[Update on Aug 8, 2011]
A Kingston representive contacted me concerning my problem with the write speed. However, I have already returned this Kingston card and purchased a PNY 16 GB Class 10 SDHC Card P-SDHC16G10-EF. The PNY card gave me a solid class-10 performance. See my Amazon review on it for details.
review image review image
2424 comments|300 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 8, 2011
I bought this card to upgrade my Pentax k-x from the 4 GB class 4 SD card I received when I purchased it. I definitely needed more storage for shooting in RAW but I was also looking for a good speed increase for burst mode, and I was hoping this card could satisfy both of my needs at a modest price. The size is definitely there but the speed is very disappointing. Using multiple disk testers I've only been able to push out ~5 megabytes/second maximum write speed but the average remains much lower, only around 3 megabytes/second. Read speeds usually hover around 7 megabytes/second. The box claims the card is capable of up to a 20 MB/s read and 15 MB/s write but my data comes no where near those numbers and I have no idea how they arrived at them. After reading the terrible reviews of the Kingston 16 GB Class 10 Secure Digital Flash Card SD10/16GB I was hoping that this second generation would have fixed those problems, now I'm just hoping it doesn't corrupt my data.

Update: I hoped that I could still use this card on a day-to-day basis and overlook the speed issue, but the slowness of it is noticeable and a reminder that I'm not getting what I paid for. Sending it back for a refund and going to spend a bit more on a much better card.
review image
on August 18, 2011
Using Flash Memory Tool 2.01, I compared this class 10 card to a Kingston 8gb/class 6 and see the write speed on the class 10 is almost twice as slow as the class 6! Also compared it to a Transcend 16 class 10 and found it to be 3 times slower. I won't be purchasing any Kingston products from now on.
on July 8, 2011
First time out with my new camera (Nikon D5100)at about 150 pictures I get a error message. Message said to replace card. All camera functions were frozen.
I inserted card in computer, it took several tries but it finally read card and was able to save pictures.
I purchased 2 cards.I would watch performance of card to determine if there is a problem with the operation of the cards in regards to card size and the relationship with the camera. I know the computer needs several attempts to read the card successfully.
Will return cards,can not take chance of losing pictures in the future.
on October 11, 2011
I use this in my Canon T1i, and it can't keep up with even still shots. I lose 1 out of about 5, because they didn't get recorded to the card for whatever reason. I assume, because it can't write fast enough. In any case, I don't trust this card anymore. I have used an 8GB Class 6 for a year and a half, and it has worked much better. For video, it stops recording after just a minute or two, because it can't keep up, and that isn't even at the highest resolution (I record at 720p). If you're not shooting HD video, or raw + jpg photos, it might work for you. YMMV, but it doesn't meet my needs with my Canon EOS T1i DSLR.
on August 10, 2011
Don't buy it, unless you really don't need a class 10 card. It's so slow you can't even use it for ReadyBoost on your PC, let alone use it for video or a fast camera. To label this a class 10 card is deceptive advertising.

Using Windows Command line winsat to run speed checks on this card I discovered a Read speed of 0.45MB/s and a Write speed of only 0.39MB/s. This is so far off the minimum required speeds for the class that there's no way this card can be legitimately called a class 10.
on September 22, 2011
While I have always trusted Kingston products, my experience with their SD HC 16 GB (10)card leaves me disappointed and frustrated. I purchased three of these cards for a trip to China to use with both my Panasonic Lumix camera and a Kodak Zi8 pocket camcorder. On my trip, two of these cards became corrupted and unusable and all photos and movies were lost. Using a proprietary program, I was able to recover data from one of the cards but not the other. Furthermore, the 10 speed rating is unreliable. The video camera would turn off after less than 10 seconds of shooting most probably because the card couldn't keep up with the data input.

I'm not one to complain about product performance, but when two of three cards go bad and valuable memories are forever lost, how can one be satisfied? Replacing a defective card(s) does little to resolve the loss pictures from a trip.

Bottom line... if you want reliability, consider another manufacturer for your SD-HC card needs.
44 comments|6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 2, 2011
I have not benchmarked these cards, but I have used them, right out of the packaging, in three cameras: an Olympus E-P1, Panasonic LX-3, and a new Panasonic G3. I'm very accustomed to all of these cameras, and in each case I have experienced write speeds which seem considerably slower than normal for a Class 10 card. At first I thought it was just my impatience getting the better of me, but when doing some shooting this past weekend they became positively frustrating.

I'm a bit relieved to see that other folks are having these same problems. They work, but they're certainly not up to spec in any meaningful sense of the term. I appreciate Kingston taking the time to respond to other negative reviews here, but it's clear that there's something screwy with their suppliers and/or their testing procedures. As it is, these cards are only useful to me as emergency spares, or in other devices, like my Kindle, where consistently fast speeds are not that important.
on June 18, 2012
16gb card failed in my wife's camera at the petting zoo (at the end of the day). Many cool pictures were lost and I lost points as I provide technical support (so any technology issues are my problem) :-) Other cards have worked fine in her Nikon so it doesn't seem to be the camera and now I see that plenty of other people are having issues. I've used Kingston Memory in computers often, but it seems they didn't do a good job with this batch of cards. I thought I was safe going with a company where I had name recognition, but apparently not.
It was a bummer because my sister was in town and we don't get to see her often, and the boy will not have another 1st trip to the petting zoo (though he will have more trips). I work in I.T., so I back up our photos as soon as we get home to our file server (which is backed up), but the pictures just never made it home.
on October 9, 2011
I have used this card twice and have errors twice when trying to transfer photos taken with my DSLR. This is the only memory card I have ever had problems with, and I have quite a few (even other Kingston brand ones) that have never given me any trouble whatsoever. Since 30 days have passed, I can't return it to Amazon so I have contacted Kingston and am waiting to hear back...

** update **
Kingston was very responsive and was ready to let me exchange it for the same product, but I have not had issues with it since so I have decided not to return it. Strange, but true.