5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected. Solid construction.
I needed a reader to replace my built in reader to the PC. So I got this reader + the Plugable USB 3.0 card.

I've used the SD and CF slots, and they are very easy to access. The cards go in and come out without the awkward bumps or need to use strange hand contortions.

Published on June 26, 2012 by Wes

1.0 out of 5 stars worked for about 2 months....
average speeds nothing to write home about, but was working ...for about two months, then one day when i needed to upload images from my CF card... it never recognized the reader...
wrote tech support ... no answer for now... will update if i hear anything from them.

update 2/13
RMA department couldn't recognize when i bought the device so i sent them...
Published 24 months ago by Leon

5.0 out of 5 stars Works as expected. Solid construction., June 26, 2012
This review is from: Kingston USB 3.0 Memory Card Reader FCR-HS3 (Personal Computers)

I also capture some statistics, although I'm not sure how relevant this is to the reader itself since, the media you are accessing generally limits the transfer rate. I wish I had some type of media that actually exceeded the rate of transfer USB 3.0 provides to test the reader, but I don't have anything that fast right now.

Kingston's USB 3.0 Media Reader Computer Memory FCR-HS3
Plugable PCI Express to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 2-Port Expansion Card for Desktops (NEC/Renesas Chipset)

Windows 7 64bit
2.79 GB file transfer from local HD to memory card
I took the average reading from the last 15 seconds of data transfer

SECURE DIGITAL
Sandisk Ultra 64gb (rated 30 MB/s)
Write 12.6 MB/s
Read 40.2 MB/s

Transcend 32gb (rated ?)
Write 18.7 MB/s
Read 21.8 MB/s

Patriot LX Series 32gb (rated ?)
Write 11.0 MB/s
Read 22.3 MB/s

COMPACT FLASH
Lexar UDMA 7 CF 64gb (rated 400x)
Write 58.2 MB/s
Read 106.0 MB/s

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Card Reader, February 20, 2012
Ive been looking for a fast card reader to import all my DSLR RAW+Jpeg shots without taking forever. Even though this one seemed a bit more expensive, i can assure you, its worth it. Most important thing, speed, which is very fast, i got sustained speeds of 40+ MBps with a Sandisk ExtremePro 16 GB (theoretical max speed of 45MBps) . When the card is in use, the red kingston logo lights up. Also durability is a giant plus, you cannot tell from the photos, but the top shell is made from dark brushed metal, giving it a classy and cool look while hiding fingerprints, along with looking chiseled. The cord is 2.5 ft long so it suits my purposes well. Even if this wasnt USB 3.0 it would still be a great USB 2.0 card reader. 5 stars!

Pros:
Fast USB 3 speeds
cord is replacable
Brushed metal shell
lighted kingston logo
2 year warranty

Cons:
expensive

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!, November 16, 2011
Buy this reader - it is a dream compared to USB 2.0 readers, and its price make it the obvious choice compared to the other products in this arena.

I shoot with a 21mp Canon 5D Mark II, and the largest cards I have are 32 gig compact flash cards. In moving from USB 2.0 to Firewire 800 on my Mac, to USB 3.0 with this reader, it's a delight to see my 32 gig card downloaded in just over 7 minutes compared to what would have taken around 40 minutes with USB 2.0.

The reader supports other card types, but I do not have those and so cannot comment on its performance with them.

1.0 out of 5 stars worked for about 2 months...., February 9, 2013

update 2/13
RMA department couldn't recognize when i bought the device so i sent them the receipt. Then i was issued an RMA with no paid label and checked the shipping prices ( i always prefer to track what i send), so taking under consideration that Kingston did not send me a paid shipping label and i would actually need to go to the post office, waste my time while waiting for weeks for Kingston to decide if the reader can be fixed or should i get a new one... blah blah blah.. it was easier for me to search for a different card reader here on amazon. Sorry Kingston i used to love your products, i don't know if its a lemon or not but your warranty is not up to par with other vendors.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatically faster than my USB 2.0 SD reader, November 5, 2011
Despite the issues one reviewer had with performance, I'm seeing a 2x+ speedup over my USB 2.0 SHDC reader with the Kingston when using a very fast flash card.

When copying from a fast Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I card, Windows reports about 18.9MB/second copying over a folder filled with JPEG and RAW files when using my old USB 2.0 reader. With the same card in the Kinsgston FCR-HS3, Windows reports 42.0 MB/s. It cuts the transfer time by more than half.

Note that you need a fast, premium SDHC card for this to be worthwhile. Using an Amazon Basics 16GB Class SHDC Class 10 card, the Kingston copied at at 21.2 MB/s, where the USB 2.0 adapter was nearly as fast at 18.6 MB/s. A PQI Class 6 SDHC card got a similar speedup, copying at 19.3 MB/s over USB 2.0, and 21.8 MB/s on the Kingston USB 3.0 adapter. Class 6/Class 10 cards just won't send data faster than a little over 20 MB/s.

So it's only worth replacing an existing reader if you have a very fast SDHC UHS-1 or SDXC card (or similarly fast card using one of other techs). That said, if you need a reader anyway, it's worth buying this even if you're using stock Class 6/10 cards, given that you'll probably use something faster in the future.

My only wish is that I wish there was a reader with just SD technologies. My DSLR doesn't use CF and I haven't owned a CF card in years, and the last time I needed MS was before my PSP died. It'd be nice to have a smaller SD-only model, though this one's quite compact as-is.

5.0 out of 5 stars Small, fast, and oh, by the way, FAST., March 30, 2012
This little card reader is an absolute gem for any photographers, or really anyone needing to use a lot of flash memory cards. With my old card reader, I was pulling around 15 MB/sec per card. With the same cards, this reader is just kissing 80 MB/sec. Now, this will require a decent card (I use SanDisk Extreme, but NOT ExtremePro, as I felt it was too expensive). With a good card though, this thing will blow your mind.

Bonus - this comes with a nice USB 3 cable that you can use for other devices, too!

A 5x speed savings? Yeah, that's worth 25 bucks!

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed reaction, February 25, 2012
mntony (Minnesota USA) - See all my reviews
For the most part, this device is okay, and it certainly seems to transfer data quickly. The trouble with the device is recognizing when a CF card has been installed. It shows up in Explorer right as though it should work like any other card reader. However, when a card is installed, it continues to appear as though it's empty. It's easy to "fix" by unplugging the USB cord from the device and reinserting it at which point the CF card is now recognized. So, I have to ding it for the inconvenience and for not really quite working right. But it's still usable and does run at USB3 speeds.

EDIT: I should have mentioned, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fast Card reader, October 18, 2011
I use mainly the CF card reader for my DSLR. It is amazing how much faster 8gb of pictures come off this card reader compared to my old Sandisk USB 2.0 reader. In less than half the time, Adobe bridge can pull the images off and save them to my hard drive. I am confident now, I am being slowed by the limitation of the my memory card/hard drive speed. The bottle neck is not my card reader. It was worth the upgrade.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent USB 3.0 card reader, August 24, 2012
This is a great card reader. Nice design & fast being USB 3.0 (and of course backward compatible with USB 2.0). The cord is not attached to the unit and is about 3.5 feet long.

The Kingston logo lights up in bright red and flashes when there's activity. CompactFlash cards slide in nicely (what I mainly use).

Another great card reader, especially if you want something even more compact and portable with a short built-in cord, is the "Uspeed USB 3.0 Superspeed Multi-in-1 Card Reader".

As usual, "Assembled in CHINA".

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Nice..Very fast, July 23, 2012
First thing I did was copy a SD card to my computer. I was amazed by how fast it copyed 281MBs. About a Second On a USB3 port.
Note if the "Kingston" on top flashes, the card isn't all the way in. Steady red indicates it is ready.
Very happy with this card reader. Top quality Kingston product. See photos above.