Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it DJ Shadow Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on September 22, 2011
This worked as easily as Kingston promised. I upgraded from 1066mhz to these 1600mhz chips. The money was well spent. I will be purchasing an additional 8GB of these. I highly recommend. No issues with my set up which is as follows:

Alienware m17x R3
2nd gen i7-2720 Quad Core
Windows 7 Home Premium

UPDATE:
------
I'm about 1 month in with 16GB of this RAM installed. I'm experiencing "freeze" problems at random which requires a forced shut down. I tested running this RAM with an HDD and a SSD and I get problems with both. Even after a clean Windows 7 install, I'm encountering the issues. I might have to return this unless I can figure out a solution. I lowered my 5 star rating to 3 for now.

UPDATE 2:
--------
It's been 3 months now. I found the answer to my freeze problem a while ago, but just remembered to post my findings here. The issue was the timing numbers in BIOS were wrong. If you need information on how to adjust these numbers in BIOS, do a quick search and you shouldn't have a problem. The numbers for my m17x R3 are set as follow:

9 Cas Latency (CL)
9 Ras to Cas Delay or Row to Column Delay (tRCD)
9 Row Precharge Delay or Ras Precharge Delay (trp or tRCP)
27 Row Active Delay or Ras Active to Precharge Delay or Time to Ready (tra, trd or tRAS)
1 Command Rate (CMD) Please note not all bios will have this setting
1.5 Voltage

This ram has served me well so far. I have a total of 16GBs (4 sticks) installed and love it. I have increased my rating from 3 stars to 4 stars. If this was true plug and play (not in my case), I would have given it a 5 star rating. I would recommend this product to others.
review image
66 comments|19 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2011
2011 Macbook Pro 15", 2.2 Ghz, 4 GB DDR3 1333 Mhz, 750 GB 5400 RPM pre install

I was very cautious about this and i did a lot of research and read a lot of forums before I decided to pull the trigger on this purchase. I read other Forums that talked about the cheaper chips that have the same specs as these. but the Forums stated those had Kernel panics. So i decided to spend the little extra and pick up these Kingstons. I've used Kingstons in all my PC's and haven't had an issue in the last 10 years. Kingston's website recommended these but it has you agree to disclaimer before it lets you view the chips.

Apple states the maximum speed for the this model of macbook pro is 1333 MHz but from what i read the intel sandy bridge processor can handle 1600 Mhz. I know the difference between 1333MHz and 1600 MHz is minimal but for the price difference i figured why not. I installed these babies this afternoon and so far everything seems good. At first glance the memory looks impressive with a huge heat sink and graphics.

About this mac it shows up as 8 GB at 1600 MHz. I'm about to run some tests but so far so good. can't wait to upgrade the HD next wish the SSD were cheaper I might be picking up the Momentas XT
on September 28, 2011
Like others, I've had a good experience with this upgrade so far. I have an early 2011 MBP 15" with a 2Ghz i7. The memory comes up as 1600Mhz instead of 1333Mhz but I can't tell a difference in everyday use, except I get about 45 minutes LESS time on the battery total. I have not noticed any extra heat though. The Intel 3000HD video system now reports 512MB instead of the previous 384MB.

When doing really intense work (mainly compiling in Xcode) I notice a slight improvement, but nothing to suggest that this is a "must-have" upgrade. If you want to call a 3 second improvement over 60 second period "must-have", then you're super sensitive to change because I wouldn't have noticed a difference if the software didn't report the time it took. ...and yes, I've compiled this software enough to know what 'normal' is.

If you can afford the 1600 memory over the 1333, go for it, if not, don't sweat it, you're not missing out on much at all. Skip this and get the 1333 if you're not a 'power user', or if you value battery life more than performance... You'll save $30 you can spend on a good book or two, a USB flash drive, or a new SD card.
on July 27, 2011
The one word says it all. It is working flawlessly and fast in my 2011 17" MacBook Pro which is more than I can say for the Corsair RAM that claims to work in this model. Kingston has done their homework and this is easily worth the extra money to know that you can install it and it works the first time.

I took advantage of the Amazon Prime next day shipping and was pleasantly surprised when my memory arrived before 12:00.
on January 4, 2012
Heard lots of review on this 1600MHz DDR2 SODIMM for macbook so I took the chance and tried it. It works !!! My MBP is reporting the full 1600Mhz !! Definitely speed up my system (boot up faster, and applications runs so much faster than the stock 4GB). I heard this kills the battery .. haven't noticed that yet. So far .. so good. I got this on the cheap (less than $70). Highly recommend this for anyone wishing to upgrade their MBP (latest version i5 or i7 version of course).
on March 14, 2012
I installed this RAM in my Acer Aspire 7750G-9411 Quad core i7 and it works great! Previously ordered corsair memory and was DOA (STAY AWAY FROM CORSAIR VALUE RAM! ITS GARBAGE! DOA FOR ONE STICK, BLUESCREENED COMPUTER W/IN 5 MINUTES!) and this memory costs more but has worked great. higher frequency then supported by my mobo, but haven't had any issues. going to order 8gb more to max my sys out at 16 gb!! Highly recommended.
77 comments|2 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 20, 2012
Hi

i grab those RAMs to replace my 2011 Macbook pro 4gig 1333 rams and its perform perfect, only one issue i notice that my macbook pro battery life reduced 1 hour from 6 hours down to 5 hours.
on January 9, 2012
I recently got an Alienware M17x R3 and ordered it with the minimum (4gigs) amount of RAM since it's obviously cheaper to buy more RAM from someone besides Dell.

There are 4 DIMM slots but only two are easily accessible via the bottom panel (the other two are under the keyboard), so I decided just to order 8gigs (4gigs x 2) to replace the 4gigs in there (2gigs x 2).

Replacement was a snap - just needed a small screwdriver.

Booted up to 8gigs and was ready to start installing games! I'll probably order another set to bump it up to 16gigs total later after watching some youtube videos regarding the keyboard removal.

No-brainer - need fast RAM? Buy this!
on November 6, 2012
Just upgraded my ram in my HP G6 laptop, was easy to install and booted right up. Wow what a difference with this Kingston Hyper-X 1600 8 gb's of ram. First time for me with kingston and certainly won't be my last. If your interested it took my windows experience index on memory from 4.8 to 7.3
Would recommend for sure and buy again as needed.
on April 13, 2012
I have a late 2011 15" MacBook Pro. It has an i7 quad core 2.2 GHz processor, AMD Radeon HD 6750M with 1024 MB dedicated VRAM, and a 500GB 7200 RPM stock hard drive. I initially had 4 GB of whatever stock RAM came with my laptop. Everything ran pretty smoothly but I found that when I was working with pictures or multitasking a lot things would start to slow down. I didn't upgrade my memory initially because apple wanted $200 for the upgrade which is just robbery. So I did a little searching and found this RAM module. Other than being 8 GB it had the advantage of running at 1600 MHz (as opposed to the 1333 MHz I had before). I know there isn't a a big difference between the two speeds but I read some good reviews and the price difference wasn't that much so I decided to go with this one. I have also had good experience with Kingston products so I wasn't worried.

Installation was a breeze and took only a short amount of time. When I launched my computer back up everything was perfect. My system had registered the RAM and was showing it as 8 GB running at 1600 MHz. I was stunned at how quickly everything was launching. I would hit the Microsoft Word icon at the bottom of my screen and in under a second of clicking the program was up and running. I decided to use it a while before writing a review. It's been about a month now. Things have slowed down a little and aren't quite as snappy as when I first upgraded. Overall though, everything is running smoothly and works much better than it was before when I am multitasking. It's really incredible how much of an upgrade $70 can be in a computer that cost over $2000. And it's not because technology has gotten better or something, this ram was available for probably the same price when my laptop first came out. It works very well and doesn't have any problems. There is also one other advantage that I did not consider before I bought the RAM. Apple has it set up so that when the computer is running on integrated graphics, part of the computers RAM is dedicated to create a virtual VRAM for the integrated graphics processor. When I only had 4 GB's of RAM the computer dedicated 384 MB of virtual VRAM to the integrated processor. Now that I have 8 GB's of RAM the computer automatically dedicates 512 MB of virtual VRAM to the integrated processor. I have noticed that graphics run just a little more smoothly when I am using the integrated graphics processor so this is a nice upgrade. The computer (MacBooks at least) does this on it's own and there is nothing you need to change to get this to work, just install the new RAM.

I don't really know what the extra speed is doing but others claim that they have noticed a difference. In any case I also haven't noticed any decrease in battery life that other people have noted. For people with similar systems that are thinking of upgrading their ram I would highly recommend this one and think it's a great product. It can really make your old laptop shine and feel like new.

Update (9/12) - This is regarding voiding the warranty on Apple products:
One of the concerns I had when buying this product was weather it voided the warranty. I know many other people wonder the same thing so it seems a good idea to post my experience with this. Just to be clear, changing the RAM definitely voids your warranty. If anything in your computer goes wrong, Apple has the right to refuse to fix your computer on the grounds that you changed your own RAM. That being said, most Apple employes won't make a fuss about it. If you know you can install it yourself without causing damage to your computer, you should be fine. Just make sure you know what you are doing. iFixit.com has some great step by step tutorials on how to change different components in Apple computers (as well as other mobile devices and gaming consols). I'm sure there is something similar for PC's. If not you should be able to find something to help you out with your model. If you know what you are doing and make the change without causing harm to your computer, you will be fine. My CD drive had a problem and so I took it in. The guy ran tests on my whole system (which is mandatory and they do it anytime they fix anything). Everything came up clean, but it notified him that the computer was using non-apple ram. I told him i upgraded it myself and he told me that was not a problem at all. He replaced my CD drive and sent me on my way. The next time I had a problem, it was with my SD card reader. I had a feeling they were going to have to change the whole motherboard, and since that includes moving the ram, I thought it would be best if I switched it back to the old one before I took it. I switched it back, and they did have to change my motherboard. I'm pretty sure if I had left my RAM in there it wouldn't have been a problem, but I was just a little paranoid. The guy next to me was getting a motherboard and hard drive replacement and he told the guy straight up that he put his own ram in there, and the Apple worker didn't care in his case either. Next time I will be less paranoid and just leave the RAM in there. So long story short, just be aware that changing the ram can void the warranty, but most probably any Apple employee who is not in a terrible mood will disregard it and fix your computer while it is still covered. I cannot comment about warranties from other manufacturers. So if you are looking to upgrade your computer, whether it's under warranty (Apple) or not, I would highly recommend this ram.