Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 30, 2012
I bought this to use with my desktop that I've built and rebuilt over the years. I thought this would be a good solution for putting a new SSD in my computer. I already had one SSD that came with it's own caddy and it works properly, but it has no pass through SATA port. That caddy just allows you to stabilize the SSD into the frame and you hook up the SSD's port to your mobo and power supply.

The Kingston however is much more protective of the SSD, or for that matter any 2.5" drive that you want to put into a 3.5"bay. The caddy totally closes around the 2.5" drive and when closing the lid the caddy pushes the 2.5" drive into the internal port and you hook up your SATA & power to the Kingston external port.

Problem is, the pass through port did not work with two different SSDs. A Samsung 830 and a Mushkin Chronos deluxe. I kept it past the return date figuring it was a simple enough piece of equipment and I wasn't ready to do the drive swapping. So I can't return it and it's worthless to me for what I planned to use it for. Fortunately it is fairly inexpensive.

It may work fine with a 2.5 HD, but I didn't test it. Guess I'll write Kingston and see what they have to say about it.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2009
I paired this up with a Transcend 2.5" SSD drive and it made it incredibly easy to upgrade my desktop with the latest technology. Highly recommended!
on September 26, 2010
I did a new hard drive installation on my imac and needed for my new 2.5 ssd to fit perfectly to the 3.5 inch slot.

This did the trick and fit perfectly. I didn't have to deal with dumb brackets.

Super easy to use and I will buy again.