5.0 out of 5 stars Second time's a charm for Kingston
There's a story behind this SSD.

Published on July 6, 2012 by David Field

2.0 out of 5 stars Runs hot.
I use it in a dock (no cooling). It is visible in "my computer" for a while, but then becomes unrecognized (the dock doesn't do this with other drives). When this happens, it is too hot to hold firmly in my hand. I thought SSDs were supposed to give off less heat.
Published 20 months ago by David Bell

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time's a charm for Kingston, July 6, 2012
David Field (Groveland, MA USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's a story behind this SSD.

Kingston wouldn't be proud of it, but the truth is that almost every manufacturer of SSD has had the same problem. You'll notice that most makers of SSDs started in the RAM market. Technically that's an easy market - all you need to do is buy up a big manufacturer's surplus RAM chips, put them on a RAM PCB, and hope you'll make a profit.

But SSDs are a different proposition. Yes, you get memory chips, and yes, you sell the completed circuits, but in addition to the chips is a controller and this requires software. In the hurry to get newer and better SSDs on the market, sometimes the controller software isn't as good as it could be.

That's what happened at the initial release of this SSD. However, Kingston had another crack at the software, and managed to make an SSD that was faster and more reliable. The trouble was that people who'd bought the SSD when it first appeared submitted poor reviews. When you looked at the reviews, you could be excused for thinking that the current product performed the same.

So when the SSD came, I copied my C: drive to it and used it to start the system. I didn't time anything, but it seemed just as fast as my Corsair GT drive. I ran tests on it, and found that the performance was right up there with the SanDisk and Corsair SSDs. So, Kingston got it right, but of course you'd never know from the earlier reviews.

All my remarks about other SSDs apply to this one. If you don't have an SSD, get one as soon as possible. Scan sites like Dealnews for the best price, Google "optimize SSD" to get the most capacity, and you'll have a much faster computer experience. I now have Widows 8 64-bit, with the full Microsoft Office 2010, Photoshop 6, Reason, and Skyrim in 40GB. Also in that 40GB is Corel Draw X6.

I'd imagine that a 120GB SSD (like this one) would fit most people's lifestyle. If you exceed that, you put the lesser-used applications on your hard drive, and obviously files don't need to be on the SSD. My photos and MP3s are on the hard drive, because you may take an extra half-a-second to retrieve them, but then you spend many minutes editing the photos or listening to the MP3s.

So I'll say it again. A Solid State Disk will probably be the most apparent upgrade to your computer. And now that Kingston is in the top tier, this drive will be a good bet.

4.0 out of 5 stars Transformed Old Macbook Into a Fastbook., July 29, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
A while back, the only thing someone could really tell you on how to boost your computer would be to: "Put some RAM in it". While that was sort of the case, you never really saw a marginal boost in speed rather you would see less 'resource hogging', or freezing. What everyone really wanted was programs to open when we click on them, the moment we executed it, and for things to operate as close to our 'speed of thought'. Now we can ditch the 'RAM upgrade' and get to real advice. Get an SSD.

--Quick Thought--

Installed in 2009 Macbook and, after cloning the original Harddrive, operated much faster and had no freezing problems. Instantly took away past freezing and hang-ups all while keeping the same amount of RAM--2gb. Programs open up faster even with multiple ones running at the same time. This is a SATA III drive--which means that the data transfer rate (the communication of date from this to computer) is faster than the macbook is capable of handling. Since the Macbook is a SATA II port, it was 'dumb-downed' a bit and thus, I could not use it to its full potential. The latter is fine because the SSDNow V200 is one of the less expensive lines of Kingston SSDs, and has fit exactly what I had expected--turning an old macbook into a new one.

*Important step to do if you have OS X*
Since macs did not have native TRIM support, you will need to 'manually' adjust it when installing an SSD in an older system. To find the little program that does this, search on G-o-o-g-l-e: 'Enable TRIM on OS X'. Click the 'Enable Trim on MAC OS X 10.6.7' link. TRIM is needed for an SSD to keep it running smoothly for a longer period of time while resisting the dreaded degradation.

--Speed--

Did not expect much since the Macbook was from 2009, using an SATA II port, and this SSD being one of the slower ones. I was surprised that it felt as fast opening programs as does my Corsair Force GT on a SATA III port. The reason for this is because opening programs is almost universally the same on most SSDs. The difference you would notice in the different types of SSDs is when you were transferring data or reading/writing to the drive. For the latter, the SSDNow V200 will drastically underperform most of the top tier SSDs with comparable prices. I would say the performance decrease is greater than 50%.

Still much faster than any platter, traditional drive you could put in your computer.

--Installation--

Just plug and play. Did not have to adjust anything, and just cloned old hard drive to this one. Used a free-ware HD cloning program and encountered no problems with either step. I did have to format this drive to 'Mac OS Extended Journal' before actually installing anything on it. I was able to this because I first booted the MAC from an external HD before I cloned my old HD onto the new one.

I can report no freezing or any problems even after a few weeks of use.

The price of this SSD currently is pretty steep compared to what you can get with the same amount. Over the next few months and beyond you will see great fluctuation between SSD prices, so be careful to choose the best one for your money. Meaning, get the fastest, most reliable that fits the capabilities of your computer's port. The Kingston SSDNow has a SATA III port, but will not bottleneck the III '6 gbps' speed.

Kingston is a reputable memory manufacturer and this can be confirmed by my use of this product as it has had no errors since using it. However, when shopping for the SSD upgrade be sure to pick the best one that is in your price range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable and easy to use, May 12, 2013
Very nice SSD! Was a breeze to install and has been extremely fast and no errors! Love SSD! Recommend buying a 2.5" adapter for desktop PC installation.

4.0 out of 5 stars The speed of data in a digital age, April 5, 2013
This was almost as cool as buying the computer I plugged it into. Faster than a rocket ship. I call it rocket drive and sing rocket man whenever I turn on my rocket computer. It rocks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, March 18, 2013
Windows starts in about 14 seconds, and Ubuntu in about 7 seconds.

Having the ssd has made my system incredible stable and fast, plus is very quite.

2.0 out of 5 stars Runs hot., January 26, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, January 12, 2013
Was no hassle trying to get an OS on it. Discovered nicely on motherboard ASUS Sabertooth 990FX 2.0 AM3+. A little small in capacity, but adequate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Product Very good., January 12, 2013
My laptop becomes too much faster, the item have a slim size and is fully working in my Samsung 510U

5.0 out of 5 stars Roomy back up, January 12, 2013
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My son put this on my PC and it works fine. The drive was easy to install, fit well, and has no glitches or problems. It's a good idea to have a backup hard drive. All the photos, the recipes, videos on the computer than can be lost so quickly are worth investing in a backup hard drive. Once installed it's easy to use, no formatting or any special work, just plug and go.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked for a while then died over days, January 2, 2013
James Connolly (Montreal, QC Canada) - See all my reviews
This drive was tried in a Macbook Pro 13" late 2009 model.
When first installed, it worked fine.
After a couple of weeks (at only half-full usage) it began to "slow down" and the beach ball from hell would appear for longer and longer periods of time.
Completely wiping the drive and re-installing the OS and copying everything back did not solve the problem.
Last night, the spinning pizza of death appeared and never left.
Upon reboot this morning, the Mac couldn't even recognize the drive (folder with flashing ? mark).
Swapping the drive into another computer had the same response - drive just wouldn't show up.
This is incredibly unusual since everything else I've ever bought from Kingston has been top-notch reliable.