Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon July 6, 2012
Size: 128 GB|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
There's a story behind this SSD.

Kingston wouldn't be proud of it, but the truth is that almost every manufacturer of SSD has had the same problem. You'll notice that most makers of SSDs started in the RAM market. Technically that's an easy market - all you need to do is buy up a big manufacturer's surplus RAM chips, put them on a RAM PCB, and hope you'll make a profit.

But SSDs are a different proposition. Yes, you get memory chips, and yes, you sell the completed circuits, but in addition to the chips is a controller and this requires software. In the hurry to get newer and better SSDs on the market, sometimes the controller software isn't as good as it could be.

That's what happened at the initial release of this SSD. However, Kingston had another crack at the software, and managed to make an SSD that was faster and more reliable. The trouble was that people who'd bought the SSD when it first appeared submitted poor reviews. When you looked at the reviews, you could be excused for thinking that the current product performed the same.

So when the SSD came, I copied my C: drive to it and used it to start the system. I didn't time anything, but it seemed just as fast as my Corsair GT drive. I ran tests on it, and found that the performance was right up there with the SanDisk and Corsair SSDs. So, Kingston got it right, but of course you'd never know from the earlier reviews.

All my remarks about other SSDs apply to this one. If you don't have an SSD, get one as soon as possible. Scan sites like Dealnews for the best price, Google "optimize SSD" to get the most capacity, and you'll have a much faster computer experience. I now have Widows 8 64-bit, with the full Microsoft Office 2010, Photoshop 6, Reason, and Skyrim in 40GB. Also in that 40GB is Corel Draw X6.

I'd imagine that a 120GB SSD (like this one) would fit most people's lifestyle. If you exceed that, you put the lesser-used applications on your hard drive, and obviously files don't need to be on the SSD. My photos and MP3s are on the hard drive, because you may take an extra half-a-second to retrieve them, but then you spend many minutes editing the photos or listening to the MP3s.

So I'll say it again. A Solid State Disk will probably be the most apparent upgrade to your computer. And now that Kingston is in the top tier, this drive will be a good bet.
VINE VOICEon July 29, 2012
Size: 128 GB|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
A while back, the only thing someone could really tell you on how to boost your computer would be to: "Put some RAM in it". While that was sort of the case, you never really saw a marginal boost in speed rather you would see less 'resource hogging', or freezing. What everyone really wanted was programs to open when we click on them, the moment we executed it, and for things to operate as close to our 'speed of thought'. Now we can ditch the 'RAM upgrade' and get to real advice. Get an SSD.

--Quick Thought--

Installed in 2009 Macbook and, after cloning the original Harddrive, operated much faster and had no freezing problems. Instantly took away past freezing and hang-ups all while keeping the same amount of RAM--2gb. Programs open up faster even with multiple ones running at the same time. This is a SATA III drive--which means that the data transfer rate (the communication of date from this to computer) is faster than the macbook is capable of handling. Since the Macbook is a SATA II port, it was 'dumb-downed' a bit and thus, I could not use it to its full potential. The latter is fine because the SSDNow V200 is one of the less expensive lines of Kingston SSDs, and has fit exactly what I had expected--turning an old macbook into a new one.

*Important step to do if you have OS X*
Since macs did not have native TRIM support, you will need to 'manually' adjust it when installing an SSD in an older system. To find the little program that does this, search on G-o-o-g-l-e: 'Enable TRIM on OS X'. Click the 'Enable Trim on MAC OS X 10.6.7' link. TRIM is needed for an SSD to keep it running smoothly for a longer period of time while resisting the dreaded degradation.

--Speed--

Did not expect much since the Macbook was from 2009, using an SATA II port, and this SSD being one of the slower ones. I was surprised that it felt as fast opening programs as does my Corsair Force GT on a SATA III port. The reason for this is because opening programs is almost universally the same on most SSDs. The difference you would notice in the different types of SSDs is when you were transferring data or reading/writing to the drive. For the latter, the SSDNow V200 will drastically underperform most of the top tier SSDs with comparable prices. I would say the performance decrease is greater than 50%.

Still much faster than any platter, traditional drive you could put in your computer.

--Installation--

Just plug and play. Did not have to adjust anything, and just cloned old hard drive to this one. Used a free-ware HD cloning program and encountered no problems with either step. I did have to format this drive to 'Mac OS Extended Journal' before actually installing anything on it. I was able to this because I first booted the MAC from an external HD before I cloned my old HD onto the new one.

I can report no freezing or any problems even after a few weeks of use.

The price of this SSD currently is pretty steep compared to what you can get with the same amount. Over the next few months and beyond you will see great fluctuation between SSD prices, so be careful to choose the best one for your money. Meaning, get the fastest, most reliable that fits the capabilities of your computer's port. The Kingston SSDNow has a SATA III port, but will not bottleneck the III '6 gbps' speed.

Kingston is a reputable memory manufacturer and this can be confirmed by my use of this product as it has had no errors since using it. However, when shopping for the SSD upgrade be sure to pick the best one that is in your price range.
on September 25, 2012
I got this SSD because of the sale price which was unbeatable. Now i am way beyond happy as my laptop is now running at least 4 times faster than before. Never mind that since i had to reinstall everything (which is no fun at all, but unavoidable with windows OS) i got rid of a nasty flash that used to freeze my laptop for half a minute or more, but now bootup time has decreased waaaaay down. It used to take 4 min for my laptop to be available for my use, which is incredibly annoying as it is a new custom laptop with a powerful CPU, lots of memory and a great GPU. With this SSD startup time has been cut down to about 45 seconds. Of course i can now install fewer programs on C, but everything runs real fast and my OS is available always. At any rate, you can always install all the stuff that doesn't fit on the second (slower) hard drive.

I had no idea just how much an SSD can unleash the real power of a laptop or i'd looked earlier for one of these drives. This is a great product from a trusted brand (which in my case helped me make up my mind, being new to SSD's) and works better than i expected. A 128 GB is just right for me and $75 for it is simply unbeatable.
on January 26, 2013
I use it in a dock (no cooling). It is visible in "my computer" for a while, but then becomes unrecognized (the dock doesn't do this with other drives). When this happens, it is too hot to hold firmly in my hand. I thought SSDs were supposed to give off less heat.
on October 20, 2012
I noticed the emergence of ultrabooks, light, thin and solid state drives inside them. My original netbook had 120gb of space and it was fairly quick for its purpose. When I replaced it with this Kingston 256gb solid state drive, as soon as turned it on. Boot up time was much quicker, transferring files a snap. I am writing about this product on my custom built netbook or my ultrabook.
on September 10, 2012
Really can't say much except this is a spectacular drive. I got mine for $154.00 which is amazing considering the price of SSD's not too long ago. Used Paragon Migrate SSD software to clone my old hard drive operating system to this drive. After clone it booted on first attempt and I'm up and running with no further effort. Easily quadrupled the throughput of my old 10,000 RPM primary drive. Windows boots in about 4-5 seconds.
on November 12, 2012
This is the first Kingston SSD purchased, after trying to work with two other drives manufactured by an inexpensive brand- named company. My son purchased that other brand SSD and it took him over two months to work the tweaks out but it still gives him occasional "issues", and he is a techie. This Kingston does not. It is a bit more expensive, thought all prices are dropping, and it is more than I will need for my modest uses, but it loaded up and runs like a charm. It's loaded Windows 7 and now W8 without a hitch. I was surprised that it did not come with a mount, but I did not need it in my new case. The boot time to full screen is under 15 seconds, something which I did not believe when I read it. Note that was with a clean install, but after a month of use, it is still that, however I am sure it will slow down, yet I've not seen it even with all my programs installed. I recommend it, in spades!
on October 11, 2012
I bought this drive after owning a problem-free 64GB Kingston SSD purchased two years ago. I am very pleased with the performance and ease of use of the older drive.

I need this new, larger drive in order to gain more drive space for a development PC that uses a quad core Intel processor and Windows 7. This drive fit within my budget. I have a standard HDD as my second drive and an external HDD for backups.

Installation was simple, performance is excellent as was the case with the older SSD. I have had no issues with this product since purchasing it last month and will probably buy a third one sometime down the road.
on October 24, 2012
My wife bought this drive from Amazon for Xmas last year. It failed after about 2 months, and re RMAed it to Kingston, and they replaced the drive. The second drive lasted for a little longer, and then it died, and I replaced it with another brand. I never bothered to RMA the kingston drive a second time. This SSD seems to have problems, and you will loose your data. I have used two other brands, and I have not run into similar issues. As a result, I recommend that people stay away from the Kingston SSD Now brand, and opt for something made by another manufacturer.
Size: 128 GB|Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
My son put this on my PC and it works fine. The drive was easy to install, fit well, and has no glitches or problems. It's a good idea to have a backup hard drive. All the photos, the recipes, videos on the computer than can be lost so quickly are worth investing in a backup hard drive. Once installed it's easy to use, no formatting or any special work, just plug and go.