5.0 out of 5 stars fast, cheap, and no u3 junk - highly recommend
For the guy who posted above, there is no lanyard included with this flash drive.

I got this a couple days ago. Looking for something that could hold large files to let me switch from a laptop to desktop and back more easily (no more toting a whole external hard drive back and forth).

Other than cost (and this seems to be a good bargain), my other...
Published on September 8, 2006 by doug

Published on July 21, 2007 by John Bartelt

5.0 out of 5 stars fast, cheap, and no u3 junk - highly recommend, September 8, 2006
This review is from: Kingston Data Traveler 2 GB USB Drive (DTI/2GB) (Accessory)

Other than cost (and this seems to be a good bargain), my other issue when looking at flash drives is speed (also I didn't want any of that U3 crud). I transferred a 490 MB file to the flash drive in just about 3 minutes. That's more than fast enough for me.

The flash drive has turned out to be a silver lining too. After I found out I would not be able to install Linux on my desktop, I found that I can actually install various Linux distros to the flash drive and boot from it instead (search for pen drive linux), with plenty of space still to spare.

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad odds: 28 out of 40 work great; the other 12 do not work at all, July 21, 2007
To be fair, I did not purchase these particular items from Amazon, but rather through the university where I work, for my department. But they were all brand new Kingston Data Traveler 2GB in the original individual hard plastic packaging. I noticed that some of the other readers who purchased several of these items commented on the terrible failure rate, and thought I'd throw in more data. The 28 that do work are great, but the odds of getting a good one are absolutely unacceptable IMHO.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Cheap 2GB portable storage device, January 1, 2007
S. King (Ephrata, PA USA) - See all my reviews
I have about a half dozen "thumbdrives" (Lexar and SanDisk) the largest of which is a half gigabyte (512MB).

I found this device is slightly slower than some other of my thumbdrives, using large (10MB+) files in the tests. But, given the large storage capacity, the price is very compelling.

I highly recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value, November 9, 2006
What's to say about it. It works, great size, and one of the more competitively priced ones at the time. 2 gigs of storage for this price is about as good as it gets.

1.0 out of 5 stars BEWARE!! Reviews for Different DRIVES HERE!!, May 27, 2010
This huge set of customer reviews suprised me. Whomever at Amazon did this should be fired! All Kingston USB Flash reviews are lumped
together here and placed under the much larger 32GB drive ads. BEWARE. There are many complaints about 16GB and larger capacity Kingston
USB drives being VERY slow. Do not buy 32GB or larger Kingston. Your DVD burner is much faster!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Kingston, What happened to you?, October 4, 2009
Extremely unreliable. Kingston, What happened to you? I believe that manufacturers are having problems with the new 32GB thumb drives sizes. This is the 2nd one of this model that I had to return due to unreliability and flakiness. Luckily, Amazon has a decent return policy. This brand of drive mounted approx 15% of the time in my usage of two of these. Often inexplicably mounted as 'Read Only'. Sometimes mysteriously showed up as a 1TB or 2TB drive, crazily inaccurate. Multiple reformats never improved reliability. I am a computer tech, tested on many computers, confirmed its extremely flakiness under many conditions. I am not making any mistakes, this is expert observation. The average non tech user just wants to plug in a thumb drive and have it work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ultimate Portable HD, May 4, 2007
The Dave 3000 "td3k" (Arlington, TX United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
It is amazing how much the prices have fallen on these portable USB thumb drives. It is also amazing at how much some manufacturers are still charging for their models which have only a fraction of the drive space compared to the Data Traveler. I use an intel Mac Pro and when I plugged in this new device it was instantly recognized by OS X and the icon appeared on the desktop. The very first thing I tried was to copy a 550MB file to the device and it would not work. I canceled the copy operation and immediately went into Disk Utility and repartitioned the device to OS X Journaled. The device comes from the manufacturer formated in MS DOS 16 bit. Once I repartitioned to OS X Journaled, the file copied over beautifully with no problems. So, if you are a Mac user, be aware of this fix as you may have to implement it. The other thing to note is that it is a bit slow in copying files. You can copy to the device relatively fast, but when copying off the device to another hard drive, it seems to take quite a bit longer. It took over 11 minutes to copy a 550MB file from the device to another desktop Mac. That's pretty slow, but for the price and the size of the storage capacity, I am not complaining.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential!!, March 25, 2007
I've used these flash drives for over two years and can't imagine life without them. They've completely replaced floppy disks. Moving data between computers is a snap, and the extra capacity is great. I use it between Windows XP and Mac OS X without a hitch. No need to burn CD's unless you're archiving data. Great work-around when local networks don't work properly, too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works on mac OS X (10.4.8), February 1, 2007
Another review said it didn't work on OS X but it works fine. I copied 113 MBs of data in a couple of minutes. That doesn't match my SATA hard drive speeds but is more than adequate for making a copy of a large folder. Some reviewers had an issue with speed, so I'd like to comment. The Mac is very smart and mounts FAT formatted DOS drives just as if it were a Mac-formatted volume. Moreover, if you copy from a Mac folder to a DOS formatted disk, the Mac does not complain nor does it give any evidence the copy is from Mac to DOS; It just copies the folder with the standard progress dialog displayed. However, the copy from Mac folder to DOS-formatted device (which is how this flash drive is formatted out of the box) is VERY slow and possibly this is what some have experienced. The solution: start up the Mac Disk Utility program, plug in the flash drive, select the flash drive from the Disk Utility screen and now select the erase option and format the flash drive as Mac OS Extended. This takes about a second for a standard erase. Now copies will be very fast (by comparision) because it is copying from Mac OS Extended to Mac OS Extended.

Note: the reason for 4 stars instead of 5 is the case is all plastic, so I'm wondering how durable it will be.

Brian

5.0 out of 5 stars Drive Survived Drowning, March 9, 2007
rjt (New York, NY United States) - See all my reviews
I already loved this drive - small, easy, big enough for everything I needed, not too expensive. Then I washed it in the pocket of my jeans. Washed full cycle, dried on high. I plugged it in, assuming it would be junked. It lit right up and worked like a charm, with all contents intact. Way to go.