5.0 out of 5 stars A Killer Little Speaker

1.0 out of 5 stars Sounds terrible at ANY volume over 50%
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:38 Mins
Published 21 months ago by JazJon

5.0 out of 5 stars A Killer Little Speaker, November 19, 2011
This review is from: Kinivo BTX110 Wireless Bluetooth Mini Portable Speaker for iPhone, iPad, Smartphones, Tablets & other Bluetooth Devices (Personal Computers)
Length:: 3:55 Mins

The Kinivo BTX 110 is a very small rechargeable bluetooth speaker. It is a great accessory for anyone who is looking for a small speaker to fit in a backpack or in an inconspicuous corner of their desk. The Kinivo combines convenience in a package that is about the size of a deck of cards. I have used the BTX 110 with an Ipad 2, iPod 3g, and an iPhone 4G and it it delivers sound and performance that is noticeably superior to the built in device speaker (even on the iPad 2).

Set-up-

You may want to see the video, but the set-up is rather easy. In fact, it is identical to every other Bluetooth device on the market. First hold the power "on" the BTX 110 for about 5 seconds (until the blue light flashes), Then go to your settings, locate "Bluetooth" and search for devices, once the BTX 110 is recognized (Which may take up to 30 seconds) enter the Pin ( 0000 ) (four 0's) and you will be ready to go.

Operation - It seems that there is some confusion on how to adjust the volume. The manufacturer states that the speaker begins each use at the 50% volume setting. What I do is I hold down the volume "+" until I reach the maximum sounds, and then I adjust the volume down on my iPod/iPad/iPhone.

Calling - The BTX 110 has a built in microphone for use with a phone. The fidelity/clarity is adequate but it is similar to using a bluetooth in a car

Other notes

- Sound quality is better than expected. Remember the speaker is can easily fit in the palm of your hand and weighs less than 6 ounces (roughly), so you will not get much bass response. However, it does sound better than the WOWee One Power Bass Portable Speaker for iPad, iPhone, MP3 Players, Laptops, Mobile Phones, and Personal Game Systems (Black)

- Single speaker/driver means that the BTX 110 is not capable of stereo.

- Manufacturer claims 6 hours of battery life, which seems a bit optimistic, but probably not by much

- Speaker fully charges within 2 hours using a USB or USB mini port (although you can no use a standard wall outlet)

- The volume and power buttons are a bit hidden - not too big of an issue, but it does take a bit of practice.

- While the main attraction is the Bluetooth compatibility - the speaker does come with a standard aux adapter that can plug into any headphone output.

Final Verdict - The controls are somewhat cumbersome (although not too bad), but the BTX 110 is a excellent option for anyone who is looking for a highly portable bluetooth speaker.

4 1/2 Stars

Please note - that I did receive a BTX 110 to evaluate for reviewing purposes

4.0 out of 5 stars Update: one issue -, May 18, 2012
Update: Sometimes, when in bluetooth mode, the volume will, after just a few seconds, fade down to nothing, with added noise in the process.
If I touch the contacts on the 3.5mm plug of the power cord with my fingers, it will correct itself! Briefly. The fade/noise will then happen again in just a few seconds.

This condition is a 'sometime thing'.

I recently managed to duplicate this behavior by plugging it in to charge, then connecting via bluetooth with the charger plugged in. The fade-out behavior began almost immediately.
I removed it from the charger; no help.
I turned it off, back on again, re-established the link withOUT the charger involved and - problem gone.

I have not, so far, seen any issues with the plug-in mode.

-------------------------------------------------------
[Prior review:]
First, for the folks who claim 'bad sound':
1st: please understand that bluetooth is a RADIO link; as such, it is subject to interference, as is any radio signal.
All sorts of things can interfere with a radio signal: Proximity to a power cord. Proximity to another bluetooth device. Electrical shielding between the unit and the transmitter. Who knows what else...
The modern world is full of electromagnetic radiation. Interference happens.

If you are wondering about the fidelity of the unit itself, please double-click the little mode switch, and plug it directly into your audio source. Better?
At a certain point, it WILL overload and distort, as will any speaker, but I found that I could get a pretty good volume, with decent clarity, from it this way, when bluetooth wasn't cutting it or I couldn't be bothered.

Also: (discovered by accident!) If the battery is low, it will begin to sound bad, a while before it loses volume and finally cuts out completely.
Before you mess with it at all, plug it into a USB charging source, and let it fully charge (- until the light shows blue). If it sounds bad, move it around, and away from electrical sources, and make sure that any other bluetooth devices are off.

Summary, Positive:
- Pretty good sound, considering the size. A large step up from the built-in iPhone speaker, for instance. (Though I found that to be surprisingly good!)
- The barely-mentioned functionality of the microphone is quite good! I used it as a speaker-phone for Skype. Worked fine. My system even cut the sound to the Microsoft media player I was listening to when it engaged! Perfect behavior. (PC, Win XP.)
For a cell phone, it should provide a pretty good speaker-phone for a small group meeting. Just be aware of where the tiny microphone hole is (under the OPEN label), and make sure that the unit is oriented properly with the mic toward the talking human.
- As implied above, it becomes even better when plugged in directly. With any headphones-only radio, for instance, it should work quite well in converting it to a 'beach-ready', or 'listen to the ball-game in the garden' device.

Negative:
- The so-called user manual that comes with it is a joke! I have NEVER seen ANYTHING printed in smaller type!
What the HELL are these guys thinking???
I could only read it by means of my handy iPhone magnifier app... ;)
C'mon guys - get a grip! How much would it cost to print one that could be SEEN by a normal, slightly old, human???
[If you are unlucky enough to be old enough to not be able to read the microscopic type, but lucky enough to read this, just skip the squinting, and go directly to the web site documentation: [...] If that URL changes for some reason, I found it via the Kinivo site, under 'support'.]
- The physical interface: The device has a wavy silver metallic band that wraps around. The user is instructed to 'press' the band at certain points.
This is clearly a case of the visual design urge superseding common sense!
When I saw this device, and this instruction, I assumed that, given that it was a metallic band, it must be some sort of electronic sensor, which would detect my finger's touch via a change in capacitance, or something similar.
Indeed, I thought the thing was defective for a while, since it simply refused to turn on when I held my finger on the switch area...
To the design folks: you have to align expectations with reality! This is a BAD DESIGN!!!
Users: just be aware that you have to PRESS, HEAVILY, on the appointed spot to fire the functionality.
Again to the design folks: this is bad in two major ways. As already described, it is anti-intuitive. In addition, even once one figures it out, the press is WAY too heavy! If you do nothing else, reduce the spring pressure by at least two-thirds!
- As stated by earlier posters, changing the volume by holding down the switch is hardly optimal. The single-press vs. the hold-down will give troublesome results in a number of situations. This interface needs to be re-worked!

Overall, once you get used to the ugly UI, it's a pretty good little unit, for certain uses. Now that I know its quirks, I'm happy with my purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect, but still good., January 14, 2012
I needed something for my early morning job, and for the price this Bluetooth speaker is great. It paired easily to my iPhone, pumps out decent volume, is very compact, and seems pretty solid. The one thing that does bother me, that would otherwise give this speaker 5 stars are the volume/next track buttons. To go to the next track you simply push the button, to change the volume, you must hold the button to get to the desired volume. I simply want these functions to be opposite. When raising or lowering volume there is a delay before you get to the level you want, so finding the sweet spot can be tricky.
Other than the volume issue, for the price this a nice little Bluetooth speaker.

1.0 out of 5 stars Sounds terrible at ANY volume over 50%, January 30, 2013
JazJon (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Length:: 0:38 Mins

Ok, so I thought this little thing would be at least halfway decent for occasional vacations or at the park but I guess not. It sounds completely terrible at ANY volume over 50%. It's very distorted and unpleasant to listen to. I'd rather use the built in speaker of my iPhone than this thing. I got a warranty replacement, but the new 2nd speaker sounds just as bad! (FAIL) I've connected my iPhone 5 to many other friends speakers and they sound great. This is the first bluetooth speaker I was really disappointed with as soon as I heard 5 seconds of playback. The video here is of the second unit. I'll post a link to the youtube video of the original speaker. (see comments since you can't most URL's in the main review) I rarely write bad reviews, but avoid this speaker! I just ordered the Jabra SoleMate instead. (a bit bigger and more money, but quality should be outstanding)

2.0 out of 5 stars Sound quality is lacking! Some cool features!, November 10, 2011
I ordered this item through amazon because it was free when you buy $60 worth of hdmi cables from Bluerigger and I needed the HDMI cables anyway. The cool things about this is that it plays wirelessly over bluetooth. You can even play/ pause and change tracks. That part works rather well. The sound that is produced is not very loud and get distorted very easily. I own a Altec Lansing iM237 which is a wired mini speaker and that sound blows this thing away. The Altec Lansing is built much better in my opinion. I believe it sells for a lot less money as well. So needless to say I will still be using my Altec but since this was free I will probably give it away. It may work out nicely for somebody to use on there desk that can't play music very loud.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great purchase, no regrets!, June 20, 2012
I absolutely love this speaker!

Battery life: Great. Out of the box with no initial charging, it lasted me a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Still working on the first charge.

Sound quality: For what you're paying for, and holding in your palm, it is fantastic. It has a considerable amount of bass because of the cavity between the speaker and the base of the unit. I wanted to use this specifically for attaching to my motorcycle, but in hindsight I think that was sort of an unrealistic goal with this size speaker. Wind noise was too much.
But this speaker is PERFECT for just hanging with friends, bringing on a hike, or numerous other occasions that I have yet to discover!

Ease of use: This here is why I didn't give it a full five stars. The functionality of the buttons could have been thought out a little better. Volume up/down and skip track forward/back are combined onto the same buttons. This would not have been a problem, except that they programmed it so you have to *hold* the button for a few seconds to change volume, and *click* the button to skip tracks. If it were simply switched, it would make much more sense and become a considerably more useful function.
However, you can simply do all of this from your bluetooth enabled device, making not a terrible loss.

Overall: Great product! The bluetooth functionality eliminates cords and has great range, the speaker is loud and quality, the speaker is compact, the price is fair and it's on prime!
You won't regret the purchase.

5.0 out of 5 stars much for so little, April 30, 2012
This little gadget really kicks and does it all easy, works as described in advertisement arrived on time Recommended and satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!!, February 13, 2012
This is a surprisingly wonderful little speaker. Volume is excellent and sound quality is outstanding for a product of this size. Easy to setup and operate. I wish there was a way to turn it on and off remotely.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can only hook up one speaker. I bought two. Any ideas?, January 30, 2012
I hooked up both ( bought 2)) and my Ipad2 BT connected them but they must be on the same frequency because it made them not work. I would have thought they would have been on different waves. I can only use one at a time. Hoping to put one both upstairs and downstairs. If someone has any ideas please let me know, if not, I guess I now have one I cannot use.

Thanks....bob

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect little speaker, January 27, 2012
I bought this speaker for its portability, but the sound quality is great. It connects with my iPhone very quickly and set up was easy. Obviously, the price was great, too. I would have given it 5 stars, however when you first turn it on and start the music, it is very loud. I wish it was easier to turn the volume down, but I am getting used to it. The button that functions to turn down the volume also changes to replay the current track...A little annoying, but being so tiny I don't know how else they would have managed to include all the features.