4.0 out of 5 stars The way to really use it!!
OK ladies and Gents... I am going to break it down for all ya'll on the best way to use this stuff. It took me a while, but I think I have figured out the process. (Excuse the poor spelling... no spell check on this thing!)
Published on April 15, 2009 by A. Henry

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle If your here is more Nappy than Curly
Published on October 10, 2009 by T. N. Thornton

4.0 out of 5 stars The way to really use it!!, April 15, 2009
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
The thing is to pay attention to YOUR hair texture!! If when you wash your hair and it does not have that gorgeous "curl" and has more of a "wave", you need to ring out your hair after washing/ rinsing (towel drying creates frizz). Apply the Knot Today conditioner(they really do work well together), then section your hair into 4 quarters. Take about a dime sized amount of the KCCC and create two strand twists all over in all four sections. It's up to you to decide how many two strand twists. If you want a more defined and curled texture, make smaller. Less defined, make twists bigger. You can air dry or sit under a hood dryer. My tip here is not to make the dryer too hot. Less heat, less frizz! After your hair is dry, use your favorite oil sheen or light hair oil and un-twist if needed. I put a little oil on my finger tips when I un-twist. That way all of the locks get the same amount of oil without over doing it. Re-apply as needed here.
Now, If your hair is fine and you do get that "curl" when your hair is wet. Rinse, ring out, apply conditioner and section as stated before. Apply a dime size ammount and work KCCC through with a wide tooth comb. (regardless of your texture always use a wide tooth comb on wet hair! it stops breakage.) For finer hair types I reccomend air drying, but if you have to use a hair dryer, use a hand held one on a cool/warm setting with a diffuser on the end. This helps prevent frizz a lot!!
FOR ALL HAIR TYPES: Sleep with a satin/silk bonett at night to prevent unwanted kinks, dryness and damage caused by cotton pillow cases. In the morning, take a spray bottle and add a little KCCC Knot Today and warm water together and shake. Spray lightly to refreshen your look!
I have been natural for seven years, and products are going to work different on all of us because we are all different. Work with this one ya'll, we might actually have something great if we give it a chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Be realistic, June 20, 2010
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
Vendor is goughing the public. Price is double that of all retail sites, both online and brick and mortar stores. That said, when purchasing any hair product, our expectations must be realistic. And, you must know about your hair type. If you've have hair that shrinks when it dries, short of going back to chemical products or a weave, there isn't a product available that will prevent shrinkage. Andre Walker defines this hair type as 4
Type 4 is kinky, or very tightly curled, with a clearly visible curl pattern
Circumference: Crochet needle or even smaller
The hair is very wiry, very tightly coiled and very, very fragile
Type 4 hair can range from fine/thin to wiry/coarse with lots and lots of strands densely packed together
Type 4 hair has fewer cuticle layers than any other hair type, which means that it has less natural protection from the damage you inflict by combing, brushing, curling, blow-drying and straightening it
Type 4 hair is known to shrink up to 75% of the actual hair length

KC will work on type 4 hair, but it's a process and and drying time can be lengthy, but it can last at least a week or more. The key is to work KC throughy into the hair. This is best done in sections and using your fingers. During the application process hair needs to be wet. Keep a spray bottle handy. Wash hair(using Come Clean for heavy product build up), follow with Knot Today mosisturizer, finger combing through hair to smooth out tangels,I leave about 20 minutes, then rinse. Do not dry hair, add a small amount of Knot Today. Divide hair into four sections, apply KC to a section of the hair, finger comb and smooth hair until the hair is wavy and curls start to form. the amount of curl definition will be determined by the amount of KC used. Repeat for each section. When all sections are done, shake head to distribute hair evenly over head, mist hair if needed. Don't touch hair until dry. Toucing hair while wet will distort curl pattern. In the mornings, if needed mist hair, shake and go, otherwise just shake and go. No combing or brushing. A satin pillow case or sleep cap is a must. Sleeping on cotton dries our hair. With the exception of shampoo, I never mix KC with any other products. While I never refer to my hair as nappy(I say I have tight tiny curls), us type 4 ladies have to learn to be Happy with Nappy:)This process should work for all types. The maker of KC and most natural stylist using the product, recommend air drying.

5.0 out of 5 stars A rather amazing product if used correctly and depending on hair needs/type, February 12, 2010
Mir (North Miami Beach, FL USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
Not everyone is gonna love Kinky Curly Curling Custard. Not everyone is gonna be clearly aware of how best to apply Kinky Curly CC. I will say that as a gal with very dry, very curly, 3b type, highly porous biracial hair, this is one of those choose to have in my hair arsenal. (We know that weather changes will affect what products we use, and we learn what our hairs like best). I get beautiful curls, root wave/curl and lift, and volume. It gives a more relaxed curl definition (ie increased length) than some other excellent curl enhancers/stylers, like Curl Junkie's CURLS IN A BOTTLE (which I also use and love).

If you have curly to kinky hair (anywhere from 2b through 4a), I think you can find a way to make this work for you. It's essentially a curl defining viscous styling product. The consistency is..."snotty", but the scent is lovely and fresh. Some describe it as a "snickerdoodles" smell. I call it "vanilla cake batter."

It's also expensive, so if you choose to invest in it (and Whole Foods carries it and Knot Today), do it right. I strongly recommend you go to YouTube and to NaturallyCurly and CurlTalk websites and Curlmart to watch videos, read reviews, and read threads on how to properly use. It will help IMMENSELY. Buy the 8oz first, not the 16, so if you hate it or can't get up to speed on the usage learning curve, you don't feel so bad. :)

Now, what I recommend for defined, soft, shiny, less frizz-prone curls: Buy the system. The Come Clean hair cleanser/shampoo, the Knot Today detangler/leave-in, and the Curling Custard. If you choose to forego the shampoo, do not forego the Knot Today. I find that Knot Today is the base where the custard thrives.

Some use a combing/raking method for applying the CC. Some use the scrunching. Both will work. Scrunching works for the less tight curl hair types. Raking for tighter/kinkier hair. I use a combo (I brush/rake it through with fingers and a Denham brush on very wet hair, then use the SuperSoak method to make my hair clump more, then add some more in a scrunching method.) The Knot Today melts away tangles and moisturizes/softens. The Curling Custard gives curl definition and hold. Many gals use gel too, after the CC to give more hold.

Essentially, the combo of Knot Today and Curling Custard is a great duo for assorted curl/kink types, but the technique does need t be learned/mastered. Do homework. Watch the videos, read the reviews with tips. It's got tons of great natural ingredients, smells fabulous, works beautifully, and gets rave reviews from a wide variety of "curlyheads" at curly hair forums.

This product will increase drying time for most users, know that. You may need to diffuse hair or plop or something to speed up drying time. I pixie-curl with a diffuser and get excellent results, though more frizz in the canopy than if I air-dry.

I also recommend you buy elsewhere. This seller has outrageous price and shipping charges. A 16 ouncer shouldn't be more than about 30 bucks. Whole Foods carries this, as does AveYou and CurlMart and the official site sells it, too. Don't get ripped off.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a miracle If your here is more Nappy than Curly, October 10, 2009
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
I have the typical non-racial mixed black girl hair; Nappy and kind of rough. My co-worker exclaimed how wonderful this product this is for natural hair, and I my hair would be so curly. I went to whole foods and purchased knot today and Curling Custard together, went and applied hair products as described on the bottles. And trust me when I tell you that I looked a hot mess!

My hair was matted, still wet, and crunchy! i was so embarrassed! I had to attend a family function with a hat on. Its not for my more nappy headed sistas. I try to salvage this expensive custard by using with my curler set but it made my hair crunchy and so flaky.

I do not recommend this product unless you have hair that curls when its wet and it looks good.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, but DON'T believe the hype, June 5, 2009
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
I'll start off by agreeing with a lot of people by saying that it defines the curls PERFECTLY, but it also causes ALLLOTT of shrinkage. When pressed out (straightened) my hair is past my shoulders and down my back. When i applied the Knot Today and Kinky Curly it shrunk ALL the way up to my Jaw Line!!

Bottom line: if you are interested in curl definition and don't mind a TON of shrinkage, go for it. But if you want your curls to "hang" you will be disappointed...

5.0 out of 5 stars KCCC does work for 4a hair!!!, August 12, 2010
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
I love this product and use the entire KC range on my natural hair! My hair is 4a and this product helps to define my curls and coils beautifully. I've noticed that some of the reviewers are saying that this product does not work for their 4-something hair. The real problem is that some people don't know their hair type. 4a hair has S shaped strands with small but with a defined curls/coils pattern and 4b hair generally has Z-shaped strands with no defined curl or coil pattern.

Remember that this product is not a chemical curl enhancer or a relaxer therefore it cannot give 4b hair a curl pattern when it doesn't already have one. My suggestion to all those unsure of their natural hair type is to wash all products/oils/gels out of your hair with a clairying shampoo then condition, rinse and air dry. If you do not have defined curls or coils and your hair looks like a lovely soft fluffy cloud then you have gorgeous 4b hair. If you have 4b hair don't bother buying this product for Wash-N-Gos. Instead use it for twist-outs or braids-outs for similar results.

I believe that regular WNGs are unhealthy for 4 hair anyway - the reason being the tangling that comes from 4a/b hair's super shrinkage which obviously leads to breakage. From my experience, I think that all hair in the 4 range should be kept stretched and moist with ends protected at all times to keep tangling and breakage at a minimum. I retain 6" of growth a year following this rule so give it a try.

One more thing, I would not buy KCCC from Amazon at this super inflated price -look around for much better deal!:(

4.0 out of 5 stars It works!, July 16, 2008
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
My usual style is an afro and I felt the need for just a different look but not straight!! After reading many, many blogs and posts I decided to try Kinky Curly Curling Custard. I believe my hair is 4B....pretty tight, but this product really defines the "curl" pattern...day after day after day. It lasts quite a while. On other posts, many said a little goes a long way...that's the truth. My "little" was a little too much, so I even lessened the amount I used the second time. Still a good result using less product. I would recommend this product to anyone looking for a change from a regular afro look to a more "curly" look.

5.0 out of 5 stars Naturals... have no fear!, April 1, 2008
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
This is the best product for kinky-coily hair - PERIOD! It defines and elongates curl, eliminates frizz and maintains style for DAYS! I just ordered 2 more jars and I always have 1 jar in my stash! You will not be disappointed with this product. It does everything it says it does. Best results when you combine with the Knot Today, but favorable (very good) results are achieved without it!

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY!, April 8, 2008
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
The Kinky Curly product line is awesome! It does exactly what it says. The Come Clean shampoo lathers up well and smells great. My hair was clean and not stripped. The Knot Today conditioner is a great leave in conditioner! My hair is very thick. It detangled my hair with no problems. The Curling Custard is worth every penny! It goes a long way too. My hair is curly, soft, and has a nice sheen. I usually have to two-strand twist my hair for the wave pattern to keep, but with the custard I just section of my hair a pull the custard down to my ends. It waves and curls up instantly! If the weather is too cool to air dry, I use a soft bonnet dryer to dry my hair. The hair spritz has a nice hold; my hair is still soft afterward. I would recommend this product line to anyone who has natural kinky curly hair!

3.0 out of 5 stars Kinky Curly Curling Custard isn't for people with type 4 hair, April 1, 2009
This review is from: Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz (Health and Beauty)
I bought the product because I have really frizzy, kinky type 4 hair. I have a mixture of type 4 a and b. I tried it and it did create more curl but it was very dense and kinky curls. It didn't give the type of curls you see on the website. It does leave your hair pretty dry and causes more shrinkage. Also, it's a process in application if you do have very very very kinky hair like I do. You have to have soaking wet hair and if it's not it has no effect at all. If you like the texture and look of you hair right now and you want a extra curl to it- I would recommend it. However, if you thought it would transform your hair in any way- this isn't your product. It doesn't do miracles you can't have a type 4 hair go to a type 3. It want give you loose curls if you didn't have it already.

Kinky Curly Curling Custard 16 oz