5.0 out of 5 stars Best Golf Rangefinder on the Market
Published on April 9, 2009 by LarryMcJ

1.0 out of 5 stars Awesome when it works....not worth the money since it only works part of the time
I bought this because I play a lot of golf and was trying to avoid paying for a range finder subscription service. This thing was great when I first used it. All of my buddies liked using it as well. After about 6 months I had to replace the battery and now the darn thing only works part of the time. I haven't dropped it, haven't gotten it wet, haven't damaged it. I...
Published on January 8, 2011 by Yager

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Golf Rangefinder on the Market, April 9, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
I spent a lot of time researching both the Leupold GX-1 and the Bushnell V2 but all I could find, even in a large city, was the V2 to actually put my hands on. Thus, I had to take a chance and purchase the GX-1 online, but I am SO GLAD I did. If all you want is the short version of this...then go purchase the GX-1 as it's MILES ahead of the V2 in "every" aspect. If you want a few particulars...read on.

In addition to a product "being" right, I want it to "look" right and "feel" right. The GX-1 does these in spades. Just holding it, you know you're holding quality, and not something made of inferior plastic that will likely not look the same in six months of normal, let alone rugged, use. The GX-1 has a very rugged, rubberized feel that simply feels good in your hands.

Reticles. We're all different and we all prefer to view things differently through a rangefinder. The V2 has only one reticle (a small circle), while the GX-1 has seven different reticles from which to choose. I found I was comfortable with the default reticle setting, but for those who are not, there are six other available reticles. As opposed to the V2, the reticles on the GX-1 are very fine in detail...more professionally displayed would be a way to describe them. While the reticle on the V2s that I looked at seemed to have thicker lines and were more distracting, with some jagged edges in some cases. I noticed the same thing about the yardage numbers...they were larger and more defined in the GX-1.

6X magnification (GX-1) vs. 5x with the V2. I think it's just enough of a noticeable enhancement to be worthy of mentioning. I don't see much of a difference in viewing a flag or small target, but there's a big difference when shooting the front/back edges of a fairway bunker that give the GX-1 a big edge here with 17% more magnification.

Speed of acquiring the target. Here's where the GX-1 one absolutely blows away every Bushnell rangefinder on the market. The GX-1 is almost instantaneous, where the V2 won't display the range for what seems like a couple of seconds. That may not sound like much...but it seems like an eternity when you just want to shoot the flag and get on with your shot. The Callaway/Nikon rangefinders are also fast...but they are still no match in the other categories for the GX-1.

If you're a hunter, you know that Leupold has been around for a lot longer than Bushnell, making what hunters think are some the best and affordable optics available. The fact is that Bushnell is a very large company with obviously a large marketing budget, so you're going to see more of them and their products, especially in the retail stores. But that doesn't make them the best...only the biggest with the deepest pockets.

Technical support. I called both companies with a list of pre-sale questions and the person with whom I spoke at Bushnell might easily have been outsourced, though I doubt he was. He simply was not technically conversant in his own products. Contrarily, the person with whom I spoke at Leupold had all the answers, and made me feel comfortable he was an expert in the Leupold products.

If you want a high quality rangefinder that is better in all aspects than its competition, you simply can't do better than the Leupold GX-1 (tournament legal) or the GX-2 (compensates for slope, temperature, and also tells you what club to hit...after you train it).

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product - Best range finder, August 16, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
I did research between multiple range finders and different 3rd party reviews and ratings. This was consistently one of the best according to the reviews and ratings. I love this range finder. My friend has a buschnell and that takes around 30 seconds to get the reading back. This product takes a second to get a reading back which helps out with pace of play. Can't say enough about this product. This is the best range finder out there for its price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, July 8, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
A lazer range finder works on all courses which is why I chose it over a GPS locater. That said this unit is perfect. Crystal clear and accurate it's lowered my strokes bigtime. Some may find it difficult to hold without shaking but propping it on the cart or even a club to gain the steady hand will quickly resolve that issue. It's a rugged little unit which attaches perfectly to my bag and has taken all kinds of gentle abuse.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth every penny, October 2, 2009
PJR (Near Memphis, TN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
I've played five rounds with this rangefinder, and it DOES make a difference. My guess is that it was worth two strokes right out of the box. On good days when the ball is going where I want it to go, I'm sure it is worth even more. My handicap is 10.3 right now.

I bought my wife a SkyCaddie for Christmas. It's nice and does everything you would expect it to. The advantage to this scope is that you don't pay an annual fee, and you can shoot at virtually ANYTHING and get an accurate reading. The maximum distance I've been able to read is 574 yards. That's more than enough, I can't reliably hit the ball at any target that's more than 200 yards away anyway. But in that 100-180 range, this little gizmo can make you deadly!

You can get a reliable reading on the bank of a lake, the lip of a bunker, and if you can see it and hold steady, the front edge of a green. It does a very good job of isolating the pin, too. The course I'm playing has very firm greens right now, so knowing the distance to the pin isn't as critical. Being able to reliably play to the front edge of a green and rolling up to the cup is where I picked up my strokes. The SkyCaddie's estimates for the front edge and carries over water do NOT appear to be as accurate as they could be, in my experience.

In a typical round, I'll use it about 20 times. It neatly clips onto my bag and is easy to access and put away. It is a little bit bigger than I expected, but comfortably fits into the palm of your hand. I like it better when I'm walking because when you're riding you have to carry it with you from the cart sometimes, and I don't like setting it on the ground or cramming it into my pocket when I'm hitting.

One more thing, I don't see any need to get a scope with "slope detection" or whatever they call it. They're not always legal anyway, and I'm not sure I trust the calculations involved in telling you what club to hit for an uphill or downhill shot. Save your money and judge the hills and the wind on your own.

***UPDATE*** August 26, 2010

Still very satisfied with this product. Still using the original battery. When walking I use it about 20 times per round. When riding I probably use it 10-12 times. The carts have GPS where I play and they're accurate enough to judge distance to bunkers and landing zones. Handicap: 10.1 Regularly playing a course rated 72.6, slope 138.

***FINAL UPDATE*** April 5th, 2011

Still satisfied, handicap has fallen another stroke to 9.1, but that's about as good as it will ever be. I no longer even look at the GPS on the cart because the scope is more accurate. Still using the original battery. It gets 15-20 "clicks" per round, and I think I've played 100 rounds since I bought it.

The only negative I can think of about this scope is that Boo Weekley endorses it! So don't let that deter you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazed with the Pin Seeker ranging, September 4, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
Why get a range finder instead of a GPS? I bought the range finder to help me with distances I hit my clubs. The driving ranges around me are not marked very well and grass tees are always being moved. I use the range finder at the driving range before the match to adjust my yardages. This helps because I am not that consistant on how far I hit the ball yet. On the windy days on the range you can start to get a feel for how much the wind holds up or pushes each club. I hit the ball high and this can be quite and education. Another advantage I have found is know the real range to the pins. I have seen courses where the pin color indicates a front location. When you get to the green pin is in the middle. On most greens this is not an issue. On a new course we used the GPS numbers and hit to the front of the green. The green was long and started very narrow. We all ended up at least one club short of the pin.

On the course I was able to get ranges on flags that I had not counted on. I have been able to range to the flag with only being able to see the top flag portion over the horizon. I have also been able to range to the yardage poles in the fairway. It is fast and easy to use and I have been amazed with the items I have been able to range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Solid, December 1, 2009
ReviewGuy (Dana Point, CA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
Everything you could hope for. This Rangefinder does it all- extremely accurate readings that are virtually instantaneous, good magnification, a lot of custom settings if you prefer, etc. Its small size is great for almost any compartment- either on your golf bag or on a pull cart/golf cart, even your pocket. I've gotten great readings on tons of targets, not just flags, which is great. Easily reads small objects, traps, stakes, fences, bushes, trees, etc. Overall could not be happier with this purchase and feel the price is a good value given the competition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Notable supplement to GPS devices, September 14, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
Regardless of which GPS golf device one might have purchased, this rangefinder provides valuable distance clarifications on any course one plays. Initially I was convinced that this would be an unnecessary additional device since my GPS technology was designed to address all my needs. After purchasing this rangefinder and using it on several different courses, I realized that often times the exact yardage quoted by a GPS are off by as much as 10 yards. For the price, this is a great addition to one's golfing accessories.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!!!, September 17, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
One of the best purchases I have made for the golf game. Easy to use, fast target acquisition, and definitely speeds up play. Several buddies already want one. I think this is the best "legal" model out there. Great buy from Amazon. Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Range Finder on the Market, January 4, 2010
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
I spent two months researching range finders, both on the internet and in golf pro shops. After having hands-on with several models from Bushnell and Nikon, I decided upon the Leupold GX I. It is simple and easy to use. It is small and fits well in your hand. It is quick and very accurate. The 6X magnification is great -- allows you to really see detail of greens, bunkers and hazards with accurate measurements to any point you pick. I'm a 6 handicap and I am very happy with this purchase. Leupold is the best! If you love the game and want simple, accurate distances you should be using a range finder -- and the Leupold GX I is the best I've seen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, June 11, 2009
This review is from: Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder (Misc.)
Have used most other Rangefinders and GPS based devices. I found this one to be accurate, lightweight and easy to hold. It performes as advertised.

Leupold - Digital Golf Rangefinder