5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite purse!
Published on November 23, 2011 by Monica

2.0 out of 5 stars Cool idea, awkward design
I love the idea of having the two types of straps - shoulder and cross-body (adjustable). But in reality the multiple straps make this bag heavier and more awkward to carry. I wanted a medium sized bag for travel and this feels large and bulky. It also ends up looking like a strange melding of a messenger bag and a purse when you use the cross body strap. Returned it.
Published 5 months ago by Red5Leader

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite purse!, November 23, 2011
I did a lot of shopping around for "The Purse" and decided on the Kipling Defea after much research. The thing that sold me the most was its ability to convert to a cross body bag, which I absolutely love. When I'm at the groceries or mall, the last thing I want to do is have to carry a purse by hand or constantly have something slipping off my shoulder. The cross body strap lets me be perfectly hands free and unhindered. The defea has a main compartment, 2 smaller pockets (with 1 zippered compartment in the front), 1 large zippered compartment in the back. Inside, it was 3 pen/pencil slots, and even more compartments! It's seriously amazing. I am able to fit a large 48oz water bottle, my wallet, cellphone in one of the front compartments, chapstick in the zippered, along with pens, paperwork, whatever. The defea is on the larger side, but when it's not holding a lot of stuff it lies pretty flat and doesn't look bulky at all.

One of the best things about kipling is the nylon material it is made of. During a vacation, I had a pen explode inside. I simply took my things out, and used a wet napkin to wipe the ink off my bag. Easy as that! I haven't put it in the washer yet but I wouldn't hesitate to do that if the bag got too dirty. My mother in law loved my defea so much she decided to get one (or two) for herself. She ended up taking it to a wedding as her ONLY carry on, as it was able to fit a lot of stuff when the clothes were tightly rolled up.

Best bag ever. I'd like to buy more in different colors :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great purse, December 24, 2010
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Accessory)
This purse is everything I look for in a purse. It's roomy inside, and has lots of outside pockets. It has both long and short straps which make it so convenient. It is a little more than I usually spend on a purse, but I feel it is worth it. I'm one of those "everything but the kitchen sink" people, and this purse easily holds all the stuff I like to take with me. It, also, seems very sturdy,and I hope it will last a long time.

4.0 out of 5 stars love this bag, March 1, 2011
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Accessory)
I was hesitant about ordering a bag online but I am so happy with the purchase. I love the different compartments for cell phones, tissues and keys. My biggest complaint about most handbags is the lack of a zippered compartment on the back of the bag. This bag has one and is great to keep coupons in. Great bag!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for my travel plans, June 9, 2013
cseszter (New York, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Apparel)
Obviously everyone's taste is different, but I found that this bag was the only one that combined what I was looking for and some style. It is by no means an overly stylish bag, but it does not scream "tourist" or "machine washable" as some of the other travel bags on the market. I went to several stores to try and inspect many other bags from all the famous travel brands, and only became less and less disappointed every time.

Here's what convinced me about this bag:

* As mentioned before, the bag has a casual look but does not look cheap or made for travel. In fact, I may use it on dress down days for work.
* I am petite (5'2") and needed a bag that did not seem bigger than me. Some of the bags are roomy, but also appear bulky when I wear them.
* Since I am traveling with an infant, I needed a bag that could store a couple of bottles - it seems that the smaller size water bottles will fit in the side pockets, although the pockets were not originally designed for that.
* I needed a separate pocket to store my iPad mini in, and it fits perfectly in the back zippered pocket of this bag. I am sure this was unintentional, but worked out perfectly for me.
* I did NOT want credit card slots, but needed slots for pens. This bag has 3 pen slots and two slip pockets, one of which fits my iPhone.
* I did not want a flap pocket as magnetic closures tend to become more and more difficult to close when the bag is stuffed (which will be no doubt the case with any bag I use). I did want to have the convenience of front organizer pockets.
* Although not a deal breaker, the weight of the bag was a consideration. Already pushing a stroller and the bag being stuffed, the fact that it is relatively light was definitely an advantage. It is not the lightest one out there (LeSportsac bags are still lighter), but it is manageable.
* I should mention the waterproof and machine washable material, although most bags that are designed for travel offer that as well.

I purchased the "Latte" color, which is a nice warm color and will go very well with lighter and darker tan shoes/sandals. It will also match most summer colors, but will be a nice combination with black as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT bag, April 27, 2012
Agree with all the other rave reviews here, and I was also a little hesitant purchasing this before seeing it in person. But the size is great, style is fantastic - formal enough for office but can be used as a casual everyday bag/purse too. The black is a nice deep rich true black that pairs nicely with that little black dress as well as jeans. I too want another bag -but this time in red, I think. For fun! I love it. The seller was also fantastic -very prompt shipping (Altman luggage).

5.0 out of 5 stars Best birthday gift, May 27, 2012
My friend knew I was going to Europe for two weeks and needed a cross body light weight bag. I had bought a coach cross body bag for my trip but it was too small for all my stuff. My friend ordered these great travel purses for my birthday and I picked the Kipling Defea coated ( white) as my gift. it was the best bag for my trip because it had compartments for the Euros, i phone, passport holder, jewelry, wallets, souvenirs, camera and now I use it as my everyday bag because it holds my i pad without being heavy. Thank you Leslie!

5.0 out of 5 stars soooooooooo great, January 10, 2011
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Accessory)
it is big enough room for me and my little one's stuff.
like extra clothing.

it is even goos for 1-2 day travel.

i love it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Kipling Defea Handbag is the best travelling companion!, February 23, 2012
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Accessory)
It took me a while to finally decide on which Kipling style bag to purchase as my travel companion. And I am so glad that I purchased the Defea Handbag. When I first opened the package, my initial thoughts on this bag was that it was cute - the style was what I was looking for - a little more edgy and trendy with the zippered pockets - but smaller than I expected. However looks can be deceiving. I just returned from a two-week excursion from Asia and this was the only handbag that I took with me and it was the only one that I ended up needing. The quality of the fabric is lightweight but very durable and easy to clean. It's nice that when the bag is not totally full, the fabric allows the bag to "shrink". And unlike leather bags, the weight of the bag doesn't make it heavier. It is very roomy for its "small" looking size. I was able to fit my wallet, cell phone, keys, cosmetic bag, Nook e-reader, guidebook, maps, camera and even when I was in a colder location, my scarf, gloves and a knitted hat along with a few small souvenirs. Both the short and longer straps were very comfortable. But my favorite features were the pockets. It made organization and finding items so much easier. The most useful and most convenient pocket was the external slot on the backside which safely held my passport and boarding pass. It was easy access and I didn't have to worry about hunting through the inside of my bag. Having other more expensive and couture brand leather handbags, I can totally see how this Kipling can easily replace all those other ones and make this as a daily commuter bag. I may have to get this style in another color! However I see that Kipling just came out with other styles and I am excited to check those out! I am now officially a Kipling believer!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Functional, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Apparel)
I got a lot of compliments from having this bag. Pretty much like every female I encountered was like "Where did you get that bag? What is that monkey? That's a Kipling monkey? What is a Kipling monkey?" I am doing this brand a lot of advertising!

I do actually own another Kipling bag. It is a smaller size and I got it actually for around the same price. I was a dork and I did a thorough online bag review search. That's right. I researched which bags had the highest reviews and then sorted by price and function. I took the highest ranking items and did a cost-value comparison. There are actual websites devoted to this, so I'm not the only one! Anyways, I went to some baggage specialty site and bought my first Kipling then. This was a couple years ago. I used it for my travels abroad because I wanted to get something with a bunch of pockets. You know, so I could hold my valuables safe but in the open. Bad guys would be fooled because I had so many decoy pockets. Anyways ---Since then, I feel like Kipling has improved even though they were awesome back then too!

This bag is about the price of other Kipling bags (around $78 at time of purchase). It is a bit more pricey, but it is still at a lower price point than the designer bags like Coach or L V. I think this bag is a good day bag because it has many compartments. If you pick the right color, it can go with many wardrobe items. It is a bag that could blend in with casual wear and a little more formal wear. (I took this to the streets of NYC and even to a 3 star Michelin restaurant! No one looked at me funny.) Nylon does feel thin though against the skin. I can see how some people may question whether or not nylon would be very durable if they are new to having a bag made of the fabric. My other bag (that I bought years ago) has still lasted. I just wanted a bigger bag to stuff more things into.

The inside fabric color now, at least for the white bag, which I bought matches the color of the outside. I liked that. My older Kipling bag had this green tint inside which I didn't like. But this bag seems to have improved to be more color coordinated inside and out. I found all the zippered pockets to be well placed and thought out. I could put small bills in the back. Keep some receipts in the front. Have a pouch left over for keys. Put my phone inside the main compartment. Slip in tissues into the fold in the main compartment. Bring some paper soap along with me also in the fold in the main compartment. Plus, stuff my sunglasses inside with much room to spare.

In short, I love this handbag! It is very functional. I would recommend this for someone who is traveling and needs to bring a lot with them to feel comfortable that she is not leaving something important behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars love this bag, June 5, 2013
This review is from: Kipling Defea (Apparel)
I got this bag for travel. I use it around town for errands when I have a lot of
paper work, etc., to keep track of. It subs as a kind of back pack, is light
weight, great color, and easy to find things in. The pockets are quite
useful. I love Kipling, but need to find a sale on them as they tend to be
kind of pricy,