on September 29, 2008
Format: Video GameVerified Purchase
I waited for this game for months and now I have my hands on it.
Did I like it? Well, the title of this review should state it!
BEST KIRBY GAME BY FAR!

KSSU is everything Superstar on the SNES was but add in NICER graphics,
some new Boss Themes, "Revenge Of The King", "MetaKnightmare Ultra","True Arena", "Helper To Hero", NEW Bosses, 3 Touchscreen Mini Games, some nice cutscene movies on top of everything that's already there and you got yourself an EVEN more incredible Kirby game!

Seriously, I don't think I have anything bad to say about KSSU. It's just THAT good. Yeah, the games go by rather quick and it's not insanely difficult but trust me you will be kept entertained for hours on end trying to get that oh so perfect 100% rating on your game file! I know
I was.

Hats off to the pink ball! After the decent Squeak Squad & pretty original interesting Canvas Curse....he has a NICE Revamp comeback
game on the DS that he can truly be proud of. If you are a Kirby fan...
do yourself a favor, stop reading and BUY IT NOW!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on October 10, 2008
Format: Video Game
KSSU is a enhanced remake of the Super Nintendo game Kirby Super Star with similar graphics to the recent Kirby Squeak Squad. Super Star was a collection of short bite sized versions of the normal Kirby games and each game slightly tweaks the traditional Kirby gameplay. In the other Kirby games (except the original Kirby's Dream Land) Kirby can copy powers from most enemies but one hit will knock that power out of you. In most of these games it takes multiple hits to lose a power and powers have different effects depending if you are moving, jumping, charged up, etc. Also for the first time in a Kirby game there are full 3D cutscenes.
All of the main games and one of the minigames from the original are included in addition to a few new games. Here is a brief description of the games included.
Spring Breeze: This is made up of screens and bosses from the first Kirby game, Dream Land. There is also a two player mode, with player two as a helper.
Dyna Blade: An original adventure similar to SB in gameplay, but with a world map.
The Great Cave Offensive: There are 60 (somewhat) hidden items to collect. There are some fun Nintendo items to find like a Koopa shell, the Triforce, and Captain Falcon's helmet.
Gourmet Race: A race with King Dedede. You are trying to collect more food and get to the finish line before the King.
Revenge of Meta Knight: A timed game where you are trying to destroy Meta Knight's ship the Halberd. (You may recognize it from a board in Super Smash Bros. Brawl) Other crew members of the ship have increasingly concerned and amusing conversations as you progress.
Milky Way Wishes: You can't copy powers in this game, rather you have to find pedestals with powers on them. After collecting the powers you can freely switch at any time.
Arena: You fight all of the bosses.
The new games are:
Revenge of the King: Quasi-sequel to Spring Breeze. It is the same game with harder enemies and some level changes.
Meta Knightmare Ultra: Play the five main original games as Meta-Knight. MK can't copy powers, but has special moves that cost points that you get after defeating enemies.
Helper to Hero: Arena, but you play as a powered enemy instead of Kirby.
There are also a few mini-games: Samurai Kirby, Kirby Card Swipe, Kirby on the Draw, and Snack Tracks. (Samurai Kirby was in the SNES game, the others are new.) They really are nothing special, but they can be played with up to four players.
Together these games make up a great game collection, but all of them are very easy and quite short. If you liked the original KSS, you will like this game. A bit more of a challenge to the game would have been better, but I would easily recommend this to any DS owner.
on November 4, 2008
Format: Video Game
If you enjoyed the original super star, this game will not disappoint! It has six ace levels, including Dynablade and Spring Breeze, not to mention three sub games. The main concept is to suck up foes and copy abilities, then use these to fight other enemies, such as King Dedede and Sir Meta Knight. Another great feature is the ability to make friends which will fight along side you. Or you can connect with real friends. Having adventures in groups is better then exploring on your own!

I enjoyed the cute character design that is typical for Japanese anime games [those who have seen the anime 'Hoshi no Kirby'[known in the USA as Kirby!Right Back at Ya!] will recognize some of the characters] and the happy feeling this game gives you, with its bright colors and eye-catching designs!

One thing that bothers me is the easiness of the levels, and how quickly you can finish the game. Still, it's a great buy, especially for children under the age of 12. A must buy for Kirby fans!

Leah Clayton [daughter]
on January 9, 2009
Format: Video Game
When my 7 year old son says he has to have a new DS game, I can't help but think of the games that remain untouched and forgotten on his shelf. With this edition of Kirby, however, I have no worries. A Christmas present: he plays it everyday and then proceeds to tell me about every level or adventure Kirby encounters. The kid talks of nothing else. I come home from work and his first words to me are "You know what, Dad, in Kirby . . . "

I've never played the game, but in the heart and soul of my little guy, Kirby trumps Mario, Sonic, and Pokemon.
on November 25, 2009
Format: Video Game
Well, I bought this game at Wal-mart today because I didn't feel like waiting for it.
I have to say, at first, I was very pleased with it. I figured it was going to be pretty much the same as
the SNES version. Well, I was wrong. It far surpasses the SNES version. Every-time I thought it was the end, more
games kept popping up. I was able to perfect my file the same day I got it but, it was hard to do and this game has excellent re-play value. It would take any normal gamer at least a couple days to perfect. I'm not bragging, it's just that I had to play it non-stop until 2 in the morning... Not to mention I'm quite fast at these types of games. Anyway, I'd like to do a mini review on each of the different games. First, the ones from the SNES version.

Spring Breeze - This is the same as the SNES version pretty much. 3 levels and then a fight with King Dedede.

Dyna Blade - Again, the same as on the SNES. 4 different levels (2 secret item levels) and a fight with Dyna Blade.

The Great Cave Offensive - Another one from the SNES Version. One giant level with 60 hidden treasures to find.

Gourmet Race - From SNES, more like a mini-game where you race King Dedede in 3 races and try and get the most food.

Revenge of Metaknight - Another one from SNES, a timed adventure on an exploding ship. Metaknight waits at the end.

Milky Way Wishes - Last one from the SNES and perhaps my favorite. In this game, the enemies don't give you powers, instead, you need to find special ability trophies. Once you find them, anytime you want, you can have that power for unlimited use. Soar across 7 different planets, gather special abilities, and defeat Marx at the end.

Now, here are the new ones, special to the "Ultra" version.

Revenge of the King - This is like an extension of Spring Breeze. The levels are a bit more dark and mysterious.
The bosses are also harder and different looking.

Meta Knightmare Ultra - This is quite a long one. It's split up into 5 parts. Those five part are all from the SNES games shown above minus Gourmet Race. In this game, you play as Metaknight as have special abilities. In the touch screen, there is a sword shown with 4 special abilities. To use them, Metaknight needs to defeat enemies to store power in the sword. The sword's number goes up to 50 and each normal enemy gives about 2-3.

Special Abilities:

Knight Call - Calls up a "Swordy" partner to fight along side Mightknight until his HP reaches 0. Costs 2 points.
Meta Quick - Speeds Metaknight up for a short period of time. Costs 8 points.
Heal - Fully heals Metaknight and his partner (if one is present). Costs 10 points.
Mach Tornado - Defeats all enemies in the screen. Also does major damage to bosses. Costs 30 points.
------
The Arena - This one is part of the SNES version but because it's coupled with the new version, I'll put it here.
The Arena was one of my favorite things back in the SNES version. It's a game where you fight every boss in the game (19) in a row with a short break to heal or get a special ability (5 max tomatoes and 2 random ability options per boss). In the very beginning, before you fight your first boss, you have your choice of any ability in the game (with some exceptions like Blast Kirby and Mic Kirby). Marx is waiting for you if you can reach the end.

The True Arena - This is the new version. Compared to this, The normal Arena is easy. This one only features 10 bosses but they are much harder than the previous ones. These are the new bosses from the new Kirby. It's pretty much the same as the normal arena except for a few deadly differences... First, instead of Max tomatoes to heal you, you now have normal tomatoes (only heal about 1/6th of max health). To add to that, the special ability selection is now down to one per match (technically there is a second but it's always a "sleep" ability). I don't even want to talk about the last boss in this arena...

Helper to Hero - In this game, you play as a helper that you choose. If you haven't played Superstar yet, a helper is someone Kirby can summon to help him in battle. They resemble the normal enemies you face through-out the game. This one is quite fun actually. There are 13 bosses to face and you only have one ability to use.
Anytime you clear it with one of the twenty helpers, you get a pretty little coin attached to verify that you beat it with that helper.

That's pretty much it except for the mini-games. I was actually a little depressed that the old mini-games weren't in this version because I really liked those. Well, once again it surprised me... They actually are on the game, it just takes a while to unlock them. Here they are along with the new ones.

Megaton Punch - One of the two from SNES. In this simple, yet entertaining mini-game, two players stand on two blocks of some sort of platform (concrete probably) and are given three timing challenges. The first one is a red bar that goes up and down. Hit it at the very top and it turns white. Second is two bulls-eye-like targets spinning in a circle. Match them up perfectly and they turn white. And finally the third one is similar to a pendulum rocking back and forth in front of this small circle. Match it up and it'll turn white. Depending on how you did, a star-like planet will split by the accuracy of the challenges. Match them all up perfectly and crack the planet it two. This is actually quite hard to do and I've probably only done it like 10-15 times.

Samurai Kirby - The second of the two from SNES. This is basically a reflex game with three difficulty levels.
Kirby and another enemy are facing each other, being very still... As soon as you see the marks you need to press the A button as fast as you can. If you do it before the marks appear, you'll get an X, get two X's and you lose. There is a sign that starts counting up very fast. The fastest time on the hardest difficulty, I think was 8.
I got a 0 a couple of times before, but I'm pretty sure it was just luck.

Here are the new ones...

Kirby Card Swipe - In this one, there are a number of cards shown face down. They are flipped up and all players can see them. A few seconds after, in the top screen, a picture is shown. The first player to match up the correct card, wins the first round. Once someone wins 3 rounds they are the winner.

Kirby on the Draw - Targets pop up randomly and players are awarded points depending on what they shoot. If a player shoots a bomb target points are reduced. Players have 8 shots to start with, to reload, the player must tap the bottom of the touch screen where the arrows are located. Obviously, the one with the most points wins.

Snack Tracks - The last of the mini-games. In this one, the Kirbies are lined up with a conveyor belt to their mouths. The goal is to get as much food into Kirby's mouth as possible. The only thing the player must do it tap the worms, bombs, and worms in maximum tomatoes to get rid of them and to make sure Kirby doesn't eat them. Also, rocks are present in harder difficulties. The player must tap them twice to rid them of the conveyor belt.

I think that just about covers the game. Other that what's listed above, a few extras include the Theater with 35 of the video clips through-out the game as well as the Sound Test (also in SNES) that includes all of the past and present music and sound effects.

Overall, I would highly recommend this game to anyone with a DS, especially Kirby fans.
on November 11, 2008
Format: Video GameVerified Purchase
Knowing how much my 6 year old grandson liked Kirby, I purchased the latest Kirby Super Star Ultra for him. To say he loves it would be an understatement. My son tells me they have to restrict his playing time or this would consume most of his day.
on March 13, 2009
Format: Video Game
I don't play Kirby but my 8 yr old who has several Nintendo DS games ONLY plays Kirby since she got it for Xmas....Which is a bummer since I got her some other games and now she plays none of them. She said "But MOm, after Kirby, everything else seems BORING!"

So I guess that makes for a positive review.
on January 7, 2009
Format: Video GameVerified Purchase
I am a big fan of the SNES game that this is based upon, and it was certainly improved in this release.

I bought this for my female cousins who are 8 and 5 years old.

The single player is very excellent, however multiplayer leaves something to be desired. I chose this game because it supported download play (two people can play on two different consoles with only one copy of the game if they are in wireless range). However, in this mode, Player 2's screen just says "Look at Player 1's Screen". Player 2 can control the "Helper" character with Player 2's Nintendo DS, but looking over someone else's shoulder playing a game is not very fun. The game supports multiplayer when both players have a copy of the game, but I have not tried this feature.

Overall, however, I would certainly recommend this game for single-player. It is a very enjoyable Kirby game. There are many different levels, so it will take some time to complete the whole game.
on January 15, 2009
Format: Video Game
My 6 year old son got this for Christmas and it became his instant favorite! He quickly learned to play it and loves the Super Mario Brothers quality of the game. Tons of fun and good staying power for my DS fan!
on January 7, 2009
Format: Video GameVerified Purchase
I like this game very much and the grandson and I play it together and really have fun. He is 17 and I'm 72, see, fun.....

See 1 answered question