Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Kirkland Signature Omeprazole Delayed Release, Acid Reducer Tablets 20 mg, 42 Count
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on March 23, 2014
Omeprazole is the generic version of Prilosec, made by AstraZeneca. The molecule is almost identical to that of Nexium, a newer drug marketed by the company. Nexium works no better than Prilosec, or for that matter, generic omeprazol. (I was a science writer for drug companies for over 30 years and was familiar with the scrambling that occurs when a cash cow is about to die. In its heyday Prilosec brought in over $1 billion in profits to AstraZeneca.)

A number of reliable websites describe the drama that took place in the early 2000s. According to one article:

"Los Angeles October, 18, 2004 -- Consumers of the heartburn medication Nexium® today filed a lawsuit against the drug's distributor, AstraZeneca (NYSE: AZN). The suit alleges that the pharmaceutical company sought to preserve their market share and profits as the patent on their blockbuster drug, Prilosec®, was set to expire, by initiating a massive and misleading advertising and promotional campaign to deceive consumers into purchasing Nexium, a nearly identical new drug."

When a company has a blockbuster drug going off patent, its lawyers, marketing staff and researchers get to work. First the legal department looks for ways to delay the introduction of the generic product, in this case omeprazole. This strategy worked for AstraZeneca for 2-3 years. Then, their pharmacologists attempt to alter the drug molecule just enough to justify a new patent. AstraZeneca came up with "esomeprazole," the generic name for their new drug Nexium.

When Prilosec molecule had been tweaked and transformed to Nexium, R&D ran clinical trials to prove that Nexium had greater efficacy. They conducted four double-blind studies comparing the two drugs. The results of two trials showed no difference in efficacy. The other two showed a slight difference. So AstraZeneca hid the two unfavorable studies in a drawer and exploited the other two. Their drug reps visited doctors all over the country to persuade them of Nexium's superiority. (Most doctors listen to reps. It's less time-consuming than doing their own research.)

The result was that thousands of doctors began to prescribe Nexium at a cost of about $5 per pill, instead of Prilosec, now only 60 cents per pill (40 cents for generic omeprazole).

If Nexium is prescribed for you, tell your doctor you prefer omeprazole. If necessary, print one of the many website reports describing the duplicity of AstraZeneca.
on August 20, 2012
Bottom line, these have been intermittently ineffective.

These are the exact same tablets as found in Rite-Aid and other pharmacies' store brand. They are manufactured by Dexcel Pharma Technologies. They come in store branded packaging, but regardless of the store, inside is white box with either one blister pack of 14 pills or two 7-pill packs. Whether buying from Costco, online, or another pharmacy, these are what you get.

Several times I have gotten an entire blister pack from this manufacturer that simply doesn't work. I'll take the pills at the same time every day and heartburn gets worse and worse each day, about the same as if I don't take the pills at all. I then switch to a new pack and everything is fine again. If I go back to finish that old pack, the problems return. So I believe the manufacturing process is creating batches of pills that simply don't work, and it's the luck of the draw whether you get ones that work or not.

In the case of this purchase, I've found the same problem again, one of the three packs doesn't work.

However I have bought Kirkland-branded omeprazole from Costco that comes in white bottles containing 14 capsules. These work fantastic, I took them exclusively for six months when I had easy access to a Costco and had no problems. I was hoping that is what I would get with this online purchase, but sadly it wasn't to be.

I'm just one person so it's hardly scientific, but I wouldn't recommend these as I can't count on them to be effective. I wish I had a way to test the potency of these to prove I'm right!
55 comments|37 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 17, 2012
I was paying way more than the price of this product for the same amount and dosage through my doctor at the pharmacy. I decided to give this a go and see if it worked. I have just gone through my first 42 day supply, and except for two times, I have had no acid reflux. I have a hiatal hernia and need daily medication to keep the acid at bay. So far, this product has worked for me.
on June 7, 2013
My pulmonologist prescribed Prilosec to help reduce my asthma symptoms. I have had an acidy stomach and mild gastric reflux since childhood, in addition to the mild asthma. Apparently it is possible to regurgitate stomach acid into your lungs causing inflammation and damage. I was looking for a more cost effective solution to the brand Prilosec. I found this generic form of the brand at my local Costco. I have been taking 1 pill per day under my doctor's orders for years (6 years). I am very happy that they can be ordered from Amazon for a great price, convenience and possible free delivery.

I highly recommed Kirkland omeprazone, it works well for me!
on July 6, 2013
I must take 20mg omeprazole every day for serious reflux issues. Sometimes off brands did not work as well. This Kirkland is excellent in quality and price. Will definitely keep purchasing this product.
on September 13, 2009
I ordered this for my boyfriend, who suffers from frequent bouts of heartburn. He's taken Prilosec on and off for a long time. When I saw this on Amazon he said he'd give it a try as the price is more reasonable and the free shipping from Bella Skin Care was an added plus.

After taking the product he said it worked just as well as Prilosec.
on January 28, 2012
I have severe heartburn and if I don't take a pill every day, it surely comes back. Kirkland's Omeprazole works wonders, but I'm guessing all brands of Omeprazole work the same way. Even so, this is a good product and it's fairly priced
on June 3, 2013
Costco requires its vendors to comply with very high standards if they want to sell under Costco's "store brand" Kirkland label, and it shows in the many, many Kirkland-labeled products I've purchased over the years, from clothes to batteries to OTC medicine. Buying this product thru Amazon with Prime not only nets me a great product at a good price, but it spares me the drive to my local Costco. Win-win!
on October 22, 2014
Omeprazole works great for my heartburn, and this is obviously omeprazole, at a good price. However, the packaging is just silly. I'm sure SOME of it is not the manufacturer's fault - there's probably some Federal regulation about how many pills can be in a box or bottle. I am guessing this is the case because I've never seen a package of this stuff with over 14 pills in it.

So this box is a fortress containing 3 more individual boxes, each with a sleeve containing 14 pills in individual blister pack cells.

I spent 10 minutes unwrapping and popping them all out into a handy little bottle. Why can't it just come that way?

Anyway - no matter. Good stuff, good price, dumb package.
on September 9, 2011
This has eliminated my horrible heartburn completely. I take 2 a day, every day. Have for years. I love this stuff.