Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Gifts for Her Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Entertainment Collectibles Shop Now DOTD

Format: Board bookChange

on August 14, 2001
It was a dark and stormy night. The wind blew, whoo, whooo. The rain hit against the roof and windows, splat, splat. But inside, Mama Bear is putting her cub to bed. "Ready now, Sam?" "Oh no," said Sam "I'm waiting." So mother begins all their nighttime rituals. First, they read a book together. She tucks Sam in, head to toe, with his red blanket and arranges his stuffed animal friends. Then they share a glass of milk. And still Sam tells her, "I'm waiting" What could Mrs Bear have forgotten. She thinks and goes back over her bedtime chores and then remembers. "Kiss goodnight, Sam." And she kisses him once, twice and then twice more..... Amy Hest has written a lovely bedtime story that's cozy and comforting and just perfect for pre-schoolers. Her simple, gentle, quiet text is beautifully illustrated by Anita Jeram's soft expressive earthtoned artwork. Kiss Good Night is a charming bedtime story that's sure to become a new favorite in your house and may help your little ones fall asleep with its easy familiar rituals.
on November 3, 2007
You can almost hear the wind howl outside the little white house but inside it's warm & cozy. Sam can't get to sleep and his mother has to figure out what she's forgotten in the bedtime routine. My toddler loves the kissing part (he gets kisses at the same time) but the story is a bit complicated for him yet (he gets bored with the longer sentences). But he will happily point out Sam and looks forward to the ending (usually flips the pages to the parts he likes). This is a great series for a childs library and I've bought them for my children & nieces as well. Would make a nice baby gift or 1st birthday present. I would recommend anything by this illustrator as well - you really get the feel of the weather, the warmth of the house, the smells of his mother's baking and the taste of the warm milk.
VINE VOICEon November 4, 2007
The wind is howling and the rain is slamming down, but Mama Bear is getting Sam all cozy and warm and tucked into bed. The story is sweet, but the illustrations, in my opinion, make this book better than your average good-night story. The warmth and coziness jump off the pages, making the reader almost envious of Sam and his comfy, soft bed. My daughter (4 months old) is still too young to understand this book (I'm sure she's too young to even understand what's going on when I read to her!) but she will stare, mesmerized, at every page. This has been a really fun book for us!
on January 28, 2002
This is probably my favorite bedtime book in the world. My daughter got it for her second birthday and it has withstood being read at least twice a day since then. The illustrations are stunning, the simple rythym of the story is appealing to both the reader and the child. When she's ready to settle down in my lap she brings it over and starts reciting the lines, "Book, blanket, friends, milk..." over and over. It's one of the few books we both know by heart that I don't want to throw out the window, and has even surpassed Goodnight Moon on our list of keepers. I gave it to all children we know under the age of four for Christmas, and they (and their parents) all loved it, too.
on October 22, 2001
I ordered this book in the first place based on its description. It was said to be about a bear who had a specific routine for bedtime and it could be no other way. It reminded me so much of my son that I had to have it. Well, I wasn't disappointed. My four year old and I thoroughly enjoy this book. We both laugh through the whole book while we read it. The illistration is beautiful and the story is so sweet. I would highly recommend this book for a carefree, fun story at bedtime.
on May 26, 2008
Kiss Good Night (Sam Books)

As my grandson started wanting to be read to before bedtime. I found this book. He fell in love with Sam and has picked up the phrase" I'm waiting" when he wants a good night kiss. Also, Now all teddy bears are named Sam. I've told him he has to have his mommy take him to Sam's House now that he's started asking to go visit Sam & grandma is old and forgotten the way. He loves the book. He wants to play with sam.
on August 20, 2002
My daughter and have read a good amount of books as we both LOVE to read....this one has become our bedtime story every night....the illustrations are adorable and so is the story. My 5 year old has already memorized every word and we re-enact Sam's bedtime every evening...if you are only getting one book for your kid ----- this is the one...we love it...
on May 5, 2011
I agree with everyone's rave reviews about the illustrations in this book. It is lovely! The little house just glows and makes you feel cozy just looking at it! Five stars for illustrations, no question.

I had to deduct a star, though, for the text. I find it stilted and awkward in places -- like it could use another round of editing. I love the sound effects "splat!" of the rain and "woooo" of the wind. I love the kisses. I struggle with some of the longer bedtime routine paragraphs. I am inclined to rephrase them, but don't want to confuse my daughter when she grows old enough to read the words herself. For instance, I always trip over this one: "Afterward, Mrs. Bear pulled one side of the blanket way up high under Sam's chin, and the blanket was red." And this one: Mrs. Bear poured milk in two glasses and they both drank milk and it was warm sliding down. Afterward, Mrs. Bear yawned." I want to make the first excerpt two distinct sentences, simplify the second considerably, and eliminate both "afterwards" entirely.

I know this is nit-picky, and it shouldn't stop you from buying the book! The story is delightful and sweet. Some pages, the text flows beautifully. Hest makes nice use of repetition, which is fitting in a bedtime ritual story. I just wish I could hack at a few of these paragraphs and pare them down! Despite that, "Kiss Goodnight" is a bedtime favorite in our household!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2004
This is a wonderful book for bedtime! I read it to my daughter every night. The illustrations are excellent and the story is sweet.
on August 24, 2005
I know it's hard to believe a 9 month old can prefer one book over another, but that's just what's happened here! I bought this book a few months ago since I loved the illustrations (I'm an artist). I've been reading it off and on since. Well, last week while unsuccessfully trying to read her a story, my daughter spied "Kiss Good Night" on the table and reached over grabbed it, and promptly started turning the pages. She settled right down after that. Now, every time it's story time, she picks up this book and hands it to me! A clear winner! I'm relieved to discover there are more Sam books out there, we'll be buying those as well!