4.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good
Good read finally one not all about the court process interesting and not to long!! A good read! Sad though all in the same
Published 7 months ago by Ky

3.0 out of 5 stars A Christian Marriage Goes Unhinged and Tragic!
Rick Pulley had a wonderful, devoted Christian wife who was a talented musician. Both were dedicated to the Christian ministry and to music. Patty Jo Riddick Pulley was the ideal wife. From appearances, Rick and Patty Jo had a desirable, ideal, Christian marriage. Although childless, having children was a source of friction between the pair.

Rick was at a dead...
Published on March 9, 2008 by Sylviastel

3.0 out of 5 stars A Christian Marriage Goes Unhinged and Tragic!, March 9, 2008
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)

Rick was at a dead end in the church ministry with a low paying job while his wife worked two or three jobs to support them. They were financially troubled by themselves much less if they had a child.

They lived in a very cloistered Christian community which suprised Patty Jo's family after Rick declared her disappeared. The women were subservient and obedient to their husbands. The small Christian community of Ringgold, Virginia had their own share of problems. They appeared backwards to Patty Jo's family.

Rick enjoyed the power that he felt he had in the community. His relationship with the young girl was quite bizarre as she described Rick becoming more like Jim Jones. Patty Jo encouraged her to leave which is something that she never had the chance to do. Despite her love for Rick, she was also being abused by him.

It was inevitable that he would kill her but nobody knows exactly how and why. The author does paint a portrait but not enough of the small tight-knit Christian community of Ringgold, Virginia.

He does detail Patty Jo's loving family that did not recognize the signs of domestic violence. Rick's past is somewhat vague. his mother is practically non-existence. I don't know much about the author's experience in Ringgold and the community or how factual about it's members.

Regardless, Rick killed his wife after abusing her for so many years. I don't blame the community but I blame Rick who is completely responsible for Patty Jo's cruel murder. I don't know much about Ringgold not even from reading this book and I'm wondering about the facts about the community itself. I don't recall the author speaking to it's citizens or members of their church.

When I read a true crime book, I expect it to be factual and I'm surprised by some of the comments about this case. A true crime author is expected to write and detail as much information and background about Patty Jo and Rick's life in Ringgold. I felt the book was just thrown together and not written adequately.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth it, March 26, 2008
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
I read a good deal of true crime books. This one is true bottom of the barrel. It is poorly edited and the author is chronologically challenged, making the book so hard to follow at times.
What a mish-mosh of events with no rhyme or reason. There are too many good books available to waste one's time with a book that requires the reader to reread due to unfounded time-jumping and blatant errors in editing.
It was funny that several people asked me if I was enjoying this book. Usually people are so used to seeing me with my nose in a book that I am not often asked this question. I felt terrible that I had to answer so many people in the negative but this book was not worth the paper it is printed on. I was stubborn about reading it to the end simply because I had begun the task, but I really should have spent the time elsewhere. (Perhaps walking on hot coals...) Waste neither time nor money on this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Supported by the Victims Family, May 25, 2008
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
I am the niece of Patty Jo Riddick Pulley and can tell you that this book is NOT supported by family and I. The book has false and misleading information in it, not to mention information that was taken directly from the MSS of the victim's niece. I do not know how this book has managed to get on the same Amazon page as Quiet Moment's, but it certainly is not welcomed there and if anyone can tell me how to have it removed, Please do so! My family and I do not wish to associate ourselves with Dale Hudson or anyone who is a fan of his.

Connie Smithson (Niece of Patty Jo Pulley and Author of Quiet Moment's)

1.0 out of 5 stars a disappoinment, February 26, 2008
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
I was personally involved in this case and this author contacted me when he was writing this book. I am disappointed that he could not get facts straight and added things to the story that just did not happen. I guess that sells more books. This book should have been under fiction as it is not a true representation of what really happened. It is sad when authors that call themselves TRUE crime authors take advantage of people who have already suffered from a loss to use it to further their books. He has just heaped hurt upon hurt by not telling the TRUE story. I do not recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Overall Good, March 5, 2014

2.0 out of 5 stars Move On, February 17, 2008
TundraVision (o/~ from the Land of Sky Blue Waters o/~) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
Quot libros, quam breve tempus is Latin for So many books, so little time.

I read a lot of True Crime books. There's just something so comforting and symetric about a justice system of Crime and Punishment (Signet Classics) that works*, even when one's own life doesn't quite appear to be either (just or working.)

But I only read the first chapter of this one. The writing style is just so bad - plodding, archane, that I'm movin' on. You can buy my copy from MarketPlace sellers - see that link up there ^

/TundraVision, Amazon Reviewer
* well, Usually works. Sometimes it takes time:The Innocent Man: Murder and Injustice in a Small Town and sometimes it appears not to work at all: Incident at Oglala - The Leonard Peltier Story, Prison Writings: My Life Is My Sun Dance, The Dreams of Ada

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth your time, May 30, 2010
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
Sorry to say, this book was not anything like "Dance of Death" by Dale Hudson, which I found very interesting and couldn't put down easily. I struggled with this book. It was very challenging as it skipped chronologically and was difficult to follow. I found myself going back to try to figure out if he had made a mistake in dates, etc. It just left me questioning where he was going. He also seemed to go on and on about description of an area and though I love history about a place, he just dragged it out. The author would then repeat the same info later in the book. All in all, this book was just poorly written. I can't believe someone actually edited this book! By the time I got half way through the book, I was thinking "If they'll print this book then ANYONE can call themselves an author!" I was also disturbed that Christians were portrayed in this book in a bad light - no, can't help the facts that this Rick Pulley deceived and manipulated but this book seemed to bash the Christians and their world. Not every pastor or youth director is messed up like Rick Pulley! By the end of this book, it was offensive as it seemed to make a farce out of preachers, pastors and Christian living. I am and have been Assembly of God church member for years. We are NOT all weird nor spouse killers nor manipulators nor controllers. The WORLD is full of them - and most of them are NOT in the church! When they are, they are just an example of a bad apple in a bunch, but oh, how quickly the reviewers are to pick on the church or the pastors or the youth leaders are all classed as bad, isn't it?
It seems as though the author was stretching to fill in to make a book that was somewhat "based" on facts but it is pretty unbelievable at times - especially with the monologue. There should have been a lot more exposure in the book about the abuse that Rick put Patty Jo through. I'm going to read "Quiet Moments" by Patty Jo's niece and find out what REALLY happened!

5.0 out of 5 stars Domestic Violence is never ok, February 27, 2008
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
The author did a great job of taking you behind closed doors of domestic violence. Domestic violence has become a hot topic in the past several years. This book will pull on your heart strings and make you wonder why someone as talented and gifted as Patty Jo Riddick Pulley was murdered for the reasons portrayed in the book. I recommend this as an excellent true crime book.

1.0 out of 5 stars A BIG DISAPOINTMENT, March 19, 2008
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
I WAS EXTREMLY DISAPOINTED IN THIS BOOK. IT LOOKED LIKE IT WOULD BE WONDERFUL. THE ENTIRE FIRST HALF OF THE BOOK WAS SO BORING THAT I FOUND MY MIND WONDERING TO OTHER THINGS. THE AUTHOR WENT ON AND ON ABOUT STUFF THAT REALLY DID NOT MATTER. HE WAS VERY REDUNDANT, OFTEN REPEATING THE SAME THINGS OVER AND OVER. IT GOT A LITTLE BETTER IN THE END, BUT NOT MUCH. I COULD NOT BELEIVE THE AUTHOR DID NOT INCLUSE WHAT RICK'S SENTENCE WAS. OR MAYBE I MISSED THAT WHEN MY MIND WAS WONDERING. I HAVE READ ONE OTHER BOOK BY THIS AUTHOR AND IT WAS OK. I MAY AVOID THIS AUTHOR FROM NOW ON.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Book .... A few typos, January 5, 2009
This review is from: Kiss and Kill (Mass Market Paperback)
I would just like to comment to you Connie. I believe Dales's book painted a more accurate picture of the Ringold church than your book. I knew the people from that church on a personal level and they were beautiful and wonderful people. I also knew Patty Jo and Rick.

I completely understand that you would view the church the way you did because of your experience. However, I think you may owe them an apology. I also can see where Dale may owe you an apology. Everyone in this situation suffered a great loss. Patty Jo herself would not enjoy this banter.

Kiss and Kill
Kiss and Kill by Dale Hudson (Mass Market Paperback - February 1, 2008)
$6.99 $6.29