Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Candlebox Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback SnS

on June 30, 2006
This is an great anthology with a nice variety of pieces by some excellent women authors. I found it to be thought provoking, moving, and fun to read. I think many ( most, all) women over 40 would like this book. It is not a "self help" book in the style of articles you see in women's magazines although the title sounds like it might be. It is however very helpful to hear the articulate voices of intellegent women who are facing many the same issues. I liked being introduced to new writers that I had not read before and will now look for other things they have written. Many of the writers are from western states and liked that as I am too. If you are an intelligent woman over 40 years old who likes good writing. I would say- buy this book
on January 9, 2010
I bought this book years ago for myself and Mother's Day gifts for the women in my family over 40. I've read it from cover to cover and refer back to it. I recently picked it up again and told a few more horse friends about it because of the story by Claire Davis, A Measure of Grace, about her return to jumping at the age of 51.

I'm surprised to see it still for sale.

Each essay is unique, but they all share the common element of honesty--the kind of honesty that might exist between two really good friends. So, in that way, reading this book is like sitting down with an old friend.

One reason I like to refer back to it is because, as I age, (I'm in my forties now) my experiences change. The authors encompass all ages over 40, so their stories are varied depending on where they're at in their stage of life. Right now, I'm going through the sad/happy transition of my children leaving the house. So, I'm rereading the essays, like an Apartment of Her Own, about letting go.

Though the book is a few years old now, the essays are timeless. I highly recommend it to thoughtful readers.
on August 31, 2006
This compilation of stories is not as good as suggested. There are a few gems hidden within but for the most part, these tales mean far more to the authors than they did to this reader.