4.0 out of 5 stars Macca Plays the Cocktail Lounge
Let's face it - these cover albums from veteran, heavily-moneyed legends of rock and pop are often pretty mundane, or at the very least inconsequential. In spite of this, Paul McCartney delivers quite well on "Kisses on the Bottom," with his iconic, velvety voice singing an eclectic, elaborate array of some of the best tunes ever written - as well as two extremely...
Published on February 7, 2012 by Rudy Palma

2.0 out of 5 stars Kisses On the Bottom
"Kisses On the Bottom" is a tribute to many of the songs Paul heard his father sing and play on the piano when he was a young boy. As for the title of the album, Paul got the idea from the song "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down and Write Myself a Letter". In that song, there is a part which says; "I'm gonna write words so sweet-gonna knock me off my feet. A lotta kisses on the...
Published on February 8, 2012 by piano man

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars I do not understand any of the negative criticisms or comparisons, March 6, 2012
LISTENING TO THIS ALBUM PUTS A SMILE ON MY FACE:

This review is a copy of a reply to a comment I made to another comment within another review. The comment I responded to was to someone criticising and questioning why McCartney would make such an album and used the "relatively" commercially UNsuccessful Ringo Starr album Sentimental Journey as a comparison.

I don't think one can make a fair comparison of any singer/musician performing covers of "oldies" unless the songs they've recorded are the same.

From my own personal opinion about this album I initially found myself asking why did Paul do this. I'm 57 years old and have followed all the Beatles closely from the very beginning of their American launch on the Ed Sullivan Show. Like many of you who are reading this I am and always will be a "Beatle Maniac". We all, or at least should, know that McCartney and Lennon wrote 90+ percent of the Beatles Music and if one examines the songs that Paul primarily wrote as opposed to the ones that John penned, and also examines all the four Beatles separate careers and public personas I think one would deduce that Paul was/is the most sentimental of the Beatles WITH RESPECT TO HIS SONGWRITING. I am in no way suggesting that he was "deeper" than Lennon, Harrison, or Ringo; quite the contrary in fact. I think every one of them were and are incredibly complex and sensitive people and musicians and the legacy of all of their music they've left for us is a testament to that. The vast percentage of Ballads and love type songs the Beatles recorded though were written by Paul.

What we have here I think is simply a 70 year old man who's had a most incredible life and, as with many of us as we age we reflect on much of our lives and certainly our childhood. McCartney has very naturally done that and he is in the enviable position of being able to record an album of songs that meant something to him personally from his childhood. Some people write memoirs, some sing and/or compose music and songs to express and expose their lives. I don't think he cares if this album is a commercial success or not. Nor do I think he's one bit concerned about the reviews it will get. Let's face it, this man simply loves music and he loves playing and singing. If he didn't, he would have quit decades ago. If anyone has seen him perform live over the past ten years then you've walked away realizing you've seen an artist who just loves what he does.

I don't think this album is about whether or not Paul sings these songs well or not. To me, it's something that gives me additional insight into why and how this man wrote beautiful songs such as Yesterday and Michelle to just note the very tip of the iceberg of Paul's incredible opus.

Musician's like Paul McCartney are incredibly rare, having had a successful career spanning literally FIFTY YEARS, and are a gift to all of us who, as fans, have watched his career and public life evolve and in many cases affect our own lives on very deep levels. I don't think this album, and certainly not Paul himself, should receive any negative criticism whatsoever and I think that those who do critique it are missing the point and more importantly the whole picture. If you're not interested in listening to this music you don't have to buy it and if you've bought it you don't have to listen to it. But please, before criticizing any recording this man puts out at this stage of his life, think long and hard about the bigger picture (i.e., what this man has given to us) and at the very least, don't try to compare him to ANY other singer; former Beatle or otherwise.

I think it's safe to say that whatever Paul chooses to do musically is, and has been for a very long time, a labor of love. It's not about money or commercial success to him; of that I am highly confident. Whether or not these are the "greatest" recordings of these individual songs or not is not the point. Indeed, I should think that Paul himself would tell you they're not. They're songs that he loves and clearly, he's shown us he loves to sing. I think that's really all there is to this and intensely critiquing this effort is just wrong.

On November 8, 1975 I saw the legendary pianist Arthur Rubinstein perform two concertos with the Los Angeles Philharmonic Orchestra under the baton of Zubin Mehta. Afterward, he played six or seven solo encores. Not only is it unheard of to attend a concert and hear TWO piano concertos in one evening by the same pianist but at the time this took place Maestro Rubinstein was EIGHTY-EIGHT YEARS OLD. As is the case with any concert, classical or otherwise, there will be all kinds of people in the audience. Some of those people will be familiar with the music being performed, others will not, and a few will know it so well and have such well-trained ears, that they'll be able to pick out every missed or dropped note or mistake. Now Rubinstein dropped some notes here and there but I don't think anybody cared. That this man, who had been playing piano for people for seventy-five years or so was not criticized for his dropped notes or mistakes, nor should he have been. What Rubinstein gave to the world of music and to those who followed his career and life was nothing short of a blessing. To criticize him for doing something that less than 0.25% of the world population could come close to doing would simply be wrong.

Although McCartney's not a classical musician, I think the analogy is still a fair one to make. Paul's given us too much for too long; he has nothing to prove. The man is seventy years old and I think that at this point nothing even remotely negative should be said about what he records. Negative words and thoughts about his music or singing are best kept as thoughts. They ad nothing of value to anyone to be written in public reviews. There are very few entertainers in this world who by virtue of their tremendously great careers, simply shouldn't be criticized negatively; unless of course they turn out to be serial killers or something. IMHO Paul McCartney falls into that category. Don't like the music, don't buy or listen to it but regardless, before you consider yourself worthy of criticizing Paul's artistic output at this stage of his career and life I suggest you first compare your own life to his before you knock him.

I'm listening to the album right now and each and every song puts a smile on my face. I can tell, he had the time of his life producing this and the musicians accompanying him are superb!

2.0 out of 5 stars Bleh., December 24, 2012
This review is from: Kisses On The Bottom (MP3 Music)
I was excited for a new album from Paul -- didn't realize that "Kisses on the Bottom" was THAT "Kisses on the Bottom." So as sad as I am that he is getting old, he is making himself seem SOO much older by wheeling out these old-timey hits from back when he was a baby -- way before my time. So while I can appreciate an old Louis Armstrong album and have cds with Fred Astaire singing some of his danceable tunes, I just don't want or need it from Sir Paul. I'll stick with the old-timey hits from back when I was a baby -- LOL, that would be the Beatles. ;) Love Paul, love old music; I just don't love this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
I wonder how much pre-rock and roll music Paul McCartney listened to in his mums polar as a little kid, radio tuned to the beeb. Certainly before Buddy Holly and Elvis were known in the colonies, never mind England, this was the pop music people listened to.

You could even tell in the 1960's. Even when the fabs were going all Helter Skelter with long hair and LSD and politics and Apples, Paul was writing songs like "Honey Pie" and "When I'm Sixty Four." Dancehall ditties that had nothing to do with rock--UNTIL THE BEATLES MADE IT SO! AND SO IT HAS BEEN SINCE. The Walrus was also listening to Stockhausen and Biero at the same time, and if this does not prove how all-encompassing the fabs were, nothing does. You can even hear the Beatles on demo tapes of Sgt. Pepper, jamming old little pre-rock tunes between takes of rock revolution. All music was at their command.

So does it surprise me that McCartney has recorded this album. No. Only that it took him so long. He probably had this in his head his whole life, working with the Beatles, Wings, Firemen. or just fooling with a ukalalie on the Beatles Anthology tapes. It is all music to be owned by the master.

Kisses From The Bottom has Paul working with Tommy Lapuma, who was a staff producer way back in the 1960s at A&M, working with, for instance, the Sandpipers, and later, Barbra Streisand and Diane Kroll. He and McCartney here take standards like "It's Only A Paper Moon," and "My Valentine," and treat them with bass, brushed drums, and piano. You can walk down Bleaker St. in New York and hear standards getting the same treatment. They even do "The Story Of Love,"--that pop from way back in '67 when Paul and John and George Martin were trying to find that 80,000 kilocycle highnote to end the "A Day In The Life." .He probably heard the song at a friend's flat between Hendrix and John Cage and loved it

McCartney and Lapuma are smart to give this track, and all the others, the stripped down treatment that they do on Kisses from The Bottom. Paul was always asking George Martin to give him clean sounds, and the result was making all music rock, and rock able to hold all other music. His voice here is outstanding, as Paul stays in that wonderful low register he does so well, singing to the classy instrumentation with the intimacy of a lover's speech, His voice here is totally unaffected. Why would the master need to do anything else.

This is no black bow tie and tails affair. No digital ticket crossover coffee house puddle. This is a man who can make any music he wants making the kind of music he wants.

I am sure right now, Paul is planning a rock album, more electronic projects--maybe getting his fire hat ready-and has fingers in a million more of Admiral Halsey's butter pies. But for now, there is this, and if you are surprised by Kisses At The Bottom, think of Paul's history more, and you won't be. You'll love it, yeah, yeah, yeah, YEAHHHHHHHH!

1.0 out of 5 stars I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday., February 8, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
Like millions of others for generations, I have LOVED The Beatles and Paul McCartney. Not only for his unmatched contributions to music, but his compassion toward animals. However, I am disappointed that he would release something like this. It has been some time since he was able to sing his ballads as they were written, even though I think he can still rock. Just check out his performance at the White House for Pres. Obama. Amazing. For a guy who has been the most influential composer since possibly Beethoven, why wind down a career on this note? It kills me to ever say anything bad about him (though I admit, I didn't like the note on the Amazon website saying "Nearly all Beatles songs were co-credited to Lennon-McCartney, but McCartney was solely responsible for many of their best songs."). I know their song credit arrangement and I have also watched about every single interview by them both and they admit that while they often wrote individually, they still influenced each other. Hey Jude is a prime example, Paul's song, but John made valuable comments. Regardless, that wasn't the point. Really, did Amazon need to say that?

I decided to repost this after some folks felt emboldened behind their computers to pile on and attack my comments versus providing real feedback. One guy hooked onto my comment about Amazon's (not Paul's) statement about Paul being solely responsible for many of The Beatles best songs (hope he reads this correctly when he attacks next time). Read up a bit and you will see I LOVE all of Paul's past work. I compare him to Beethoven for goodness sake.

My disappointment with the album is that Paul's aging voice, to ME, is not suited for these songs. That is it, no hidden agenda for John, George, Ringo or Denny. Some songs are not suited for some singers. That isn't a new revelation. I have seen him in concert several times and will jump at the opportunity to see him again, even if in support of this album (cause I know he will put on a good show and sing some of his great songs). As with anyone with his kind of wonderful voice, with age his range and options change. Any singer will tell you that. Singers like Clapton are well suited for singing as they age because the songs they sing fit their voice even better with time. That is just the nature of a voice.

Ok, I will now step back and remember how much I love and admire his 50 years of amazing music. This will be the only McCartney album I won't own and that makes me sad. For those who buy it and enjoy it, save your attacks and listen to the album. I am glad you like it. I am sure I will get attacked once again, but I tried to explain things a bit further. If you do have complaints send them to idontcare@trash.com.

I do have to give him credit for one thing on this album...that is a brilliant title.

5.0 out of 5 stars Slow-dancing with Sir Paul *sigh*, February 11, 2012
Ridergirl (Beverly Hills, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
These are the songs that Paul was meant to sing and I'm so glad he's still around to sing them. His voice has mellowed with age and, although he might not be able to belt the high ones like he used to, the notes he does hit are round, full and as lovely as you could wish for. My favorites songs on the album are the two he wrote himself. His songwriting skills are, and have always been, right up there with all of the greats. Congratulations, Paul, on a thoroughly enjoyable and beautifully crafted CD. Big kiss on your bottom!

And special kudos to Diana Krall for her lovely, understated vocals and rhythm arrangements, Eric Clapton for the signature guitar solo on 'Get Yourself Another Fool' and Stevie Wonder for wrapping it all up so nicely on 'Only Our Hearts'.

I haven't stopped listening to this CD since I bought it. Dreamy...just dreamy...

4.0 out of 5 stars "Well, Ringo did one!", February 8, 2012
Quiverbow (Kent, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
Everyone knew there was a new McCartney album on the way (his first studio release for 4˝ years), but none realised it would be issued so soon after being announced, and it certainly wasn't envisaged to be a collection of personal favourites, two newly written songs and a re-recording of a 33 year old album track. It's available in two versions; the usual jewel case, and a deluxe pack with two extra songs, expanded sleeve notes, three postcards and access to an exclusive live show. An easy listening offering of songs he heard, and was influenced by, during his formative years (and he has chosen many that might not be familiar), the booklet explains how he and John tried to copy these songs. I'm surprised McCartney hasn't done anything like this until now; and another first is that he just sings on this. Then again, maybe he's been planning such a project and only just got round to doing something about it. Joined by Eric Clapton, Stevie Wonder, and Diane Krall and her band, who play with the lightest of touches on their instruments.

I'M GONNA SIT RIGHT DOWN AND WRITE MYSELF A LETTER. A piano and double bass led jazz tune, this is whispered in fine style in a way you might imagine someone suddenly joining in with the house band. A potential single?
HOME (WHERE THE SHADOWS FALL). Maybe the most obscure song included, this is nicely sung in a late-night fireside way.
IT'S ONLY A PAPER MOON. An occasional voice straining to reach the right notes doesn't seem to spoil the shortest track that has an effective violin and whistling middle eight. It certainly grows on you.
MORE I CANNOT WISH YOU Annoying. Not in a bad way but you just wish it would start instead of sounding like a three minute introduction to something more substantial. But that's the tune itself, not the way it's presented. For my money, the poorest thing included.
THE GLORY OF LOVE. Rather intimate this, but then so are all the other songs, one to be sung to your new wife, or a very old one. One thing this CD has going for it is that you can actually hear every word sung, something many are guilty of in their failing.
WE THREE (MY ECHO, MY SHADOW AND ME). Delivered in a way only McCartney could get away with, don't be surprised to hear this on Radio 2. Whilst the whole CD is good, this is one I particularly like.
AC-CENT-TCHU-ATE THE POSITIVE. A weirdly titled clever tune on antonyms, this is a bit of a toe-tapper that will have you singing the title to yourself. My own favourite.
MY VALENTINE. The first of two new original compositions, this is an acoustic and piano track that could actually become a favourite of club supper acts. It sounds plodding at first but it does grow on you. With just the guitar player from the band remaining, you can imagine the spurned lover slumped over the piano, a dying rose and whisky glass on the top, bemoaning his luck to an empty floor. This could be a single, though he needs to be quick about it. Expect cover versions.
ALWAYS. I didn't recognise this from the introduction, but when the main body began I was singing along, as will you if you remember it. Once more, the music doesn't swamp the singing.
MY VERY GOOD FRIEND THE MILKMAN. More whistling bookends a song about a lovelorn soul tempting his girlfriend to marry him through a variety of others. It's rather cute.
BYE BYE BLACKBIRD. The second Beatle to record this (after Ringo in 1970), this is taken at a slower pace but doesn't suffer from that, even though you think it might peter out at some point.
GET YOURSELF ANOTHER FOOL. Whilst much of what precedes and follows this track is taken in a laid-back style, this has a far stronger vocal and is another of my favourites. The longest track, the use of the guitar compliments this well.
THE INCH WORM. All of those of a certain age will remember this from listening to Junior Choice on the radio. Possibly the biggest surprise on a surprising collection, no doubt it's the Danny Kaye version he remembers and not the one by the cast of Grange Hill. With backing vocalists doing the adding up, it's one of only two songs not to have a full ending.
ONLY OUR HEARTS. The other new self penned song; it sits well with the rest of this collection. Sounding as if it was written for Nancy, it's one that might well be covered by other artists.
BABY'S REQUEST. Fitting in well, this is taken at a more leisurely pace than the version on 'Back to the Egg' with a good trombone middle. There's an elongated instrumental fading ending.
MY ONE AND ONLY LOVE. Another nice tune to be sung at the end of the day when the candles are burning.

This is bound to be a decent seller and maybe, given the contents, there will be those that wouldn't normally buy his product delving in because they like this style of music. I was pleased he didn't go down the big band route, but use backing that respects the deliberate understated vocals. If pretenders such as Rod Stewart, Robbie Williams, Michael Buble and others can release CDs of `standards', why not the biggest name of them all? It might be the songs or it might be the way in which they're presented, but McCartney shows he still has the capability to deliver. There may be those who dismiss this as self-indulgent, and maybe that's what it is; Ringo made his `for his mum', so maybe Macca wanted to do this for himself and his wife, and there's nothing wrong with that. A very nice CD.

2.0 out of 5 stars Valiant effort, but it doesn't work, February 11, 2012
Chris McKenzie (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
Let's get some things straight first. I am a huge fan of Paul McCartney's. He is one of the most talented living musicians, and he has written and performed songs which will last through lifetimes. However, just because I think he's wonderful doesn't mean that he never makes a mistake. This album, KISSES ON THE BOTTOM, is a sad mistake.

Why? Two important reasons. The first is that his voice is just not up to it. He sings in a high register that makes his vocals sound weak, and exposes the aging that all singers experience after many years. Not all of the songs are affected by this; "Ac-Cent-Tu-Ate The Positive" and "My Valentine" find him lower in his range, and stronger. The remainder, however, sound feeble in comparison. It's sad to hear the man who belted out "Long Tall Sally" and who crooned "Yesterday" reduced to this.

Second, the backing is anemic. I don't know if all of Ms. Krall's work sounds like this, but it completely lacks energy. It's as if the musicians are playing in their sleep. You can sing slow songs and still have energy. These arrangements, however, are dull and soporific.

I won't say the album has no pleasures. As I mentioned above, "My Valentine" is gorgeous, well sung and with a beautiful piano backing. It could fit in well on one of Paul's original records. "My Very Good Friend The Milkman" is amusing and whimsical, but as someone pointed out, Clapton's version has a lot more excitement. Although I liked the opening "I'm Gonna Sit Right Down And Write Myself A Letter", I could actually imagine a much better version performed by Paul and his band with guitars and drums, not unlike his two rock oldies albums. Paul's strength does not lie in this genre. At least, not on the evidence here.

(For those who own the deluxe edition, just compare the strength of Paul's original take on his own "Baby's Request" from Wings' BACK TO THE EGG as compared to this new remake. The 1979 version has more energy and a better vocal.)

Finally, before protestors claims that I don't like it because I'm not a jazz fan, let me counter by saying that I own TAKE FIVE, KIND OF BLUE, GIANT STEPS and A LOVE SUPREME, among others. Those are classic jazz albums. This is not.

Please, Paul, go back to your strengths. Give us another rock/pop album, or more from the Fireman.

1.0 out of 5 stars I am still a Beatle fan, but do not like this cd, June 12, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
I have always loved the Beatles, and have like their individual works, but this collection is slow, and nasaly--awful. I didn't even make it through the whole cd--sorry Paul.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring, November 20, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
I guess McCartney did rock better. The songs were great but I didn't like his renditions. I'd like my money back.

2.0 out of 5 stars what?, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Kisses on the Bottom (Audio CD)
Let me start by saying I am probably a bigger fan of McCartney and the Beatles then most of you.
So, Sir Paul has gone down that nasty road of trying to be a Crooner! Sorry Paul, this just does not work for you. I mean come on, who took the roll out of rock and changed the face of music forever? Most of us who were weened on the Beatles also grew up with great bands like Zeppelin,Floyd,The Stones,The Who, etc etc--. Point is that this new CD is the music that my parents listened to and I an 53! If you insist on still putting out music then maybe you should get back to your creative juices from the Abbey Road days! Or how bout Paul, listen to an Ian Hunter album! That guy is 72 and still can rock and write great songs.

‹ Previous | 1 2 350 | Next ›

Kisses on the Bottom
Kisses on the Bottom by Paul McCartney (Audio CD - 2012)