5.0 out of 5 stars Kissing Under the Mistletoe
What a great holiday read! I am now officially in the Christmas mood. I love holiday books whether they are Thanksgiving, Valentine's Day or even Halloween but Christmas is my favorite. Adair did not disappoint me in this Christmas read.

Published on October 17, 2012 by Vanessa

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Holiday Romance Novel
I was looking forward to getting Kissing Under the Mistletoe (A St. Helena Vineyard Novel) since tis the season and I like to read holiday romance novels around Christmas.

This appears to be a new series of novels taking place in St. Helena starring the members of the DeLuca family.

We quickly find out that a single mom, Regan Martin, and her...
Published 23 months ago by Obsidian Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Kissing Under the Mistletoe, October 17, 2012

Gabe De Luca is the oldest of 5 siblings and has been the head of the family since his parents died when he was twenty-four. He has spent most of his adult life taking care of his siblings and fixing their problems so when he meets Regan Martin he knows he needs to stay away from her.

Regan had the misfortune of falling in love with Gabe's brother in law and ever since then, Gabe has made her life miserable; preventing her from getting jobs, getting her fired, ect. When she finally lands her dream job in Napa Valley she thinks that her life is finally starting to go her way. Little does she know that she has moved into Gabe's hometown.

I really enjoyed this book. From the start we see the clash of Regan and Gabe as they strike sparks off one another. Gabe tries and fails to see her as the home wrecker of his sisters marriage. While Regan tries and fails to ignore Gabe . Regan was great. She is funny, clumsy and has a string of bad luck that is hilarious and sad all at the same time. I loved her interactions with Gabe while they are both fighting their attractions for each other and she is trying every way in the world to find and keep a job and a home for her and her daughter. Gabe, once you got to his reasons for making Regan's life a misery, is a wonderful sweet man that would do anything for his family and has a protective streak a mile wide. The situations that pop up are so funny. I found myself mentally yelling at the pages of the book taking up for Regan or yelling at her, depending on what she was doing.

The chemistry for this couple is sizzling. From the first chapter you can almost see the sparks fly when Gabe and Regan are in a scene together. And while it takes a while for them to consummate their relationship, when they do it was everything I was waiting for. I only wish we had more scenes with them together as a couple once they stopped fighting and were trying to make their relationship work.

I loved how half the towns played a part in this book and the Mrs. Claus's kept popping up. I want to read more of the De Luca family and all the friends that Regan made. What will happen with Abby? How come Frankie seems to be so angry with Trey? This book made me laugh and almost cry several times. I am very excited to read the rest of the series and I hope they come out soon!

book received from author for the purpose of an honest review
Reviewed by Megan

3.0 out of 5 stars Typical Holiday Romance Novel, November 26, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

We quickly find out that a single mom, Regan Martin, and her daughter Holly, move to St. Helena so that Regan can work as a wine marketer for an up and coming winery consisting of women.

Regan has been blackballed from the wine industry for six years after having an affair with her boss not realizing that he was married to the only female member of the DeLuca family, Abigail.

Regan knowing this is her last chance for her and her daughter hopes that she can start over again and never sees another DeLuca again. Unfortunately that is not meant to be and we quickly find Regan jobless again due to the machinations of Gabe DeLuca.

Gabe is the oldest son of the DeLuca family and the head after the death of his parents when he was 24. He and his four brothers are protective of the youngest of the DeLuca family, Abigail the youngest and only girl. We find out that after Abigail found out about her husband's infidelity he fled the country with millions of dollars and made it seem as if Abigail was part of his theft.

Gabe wants to do what he can to prevent Regan from humiliating and hurting his sister more but finds himself becoming more attracted to her. I ultimately didn't understand why the two characters were attracted to each other at all. Maybe it would have made more sense to have her fall for another brother since I really couldn't understand how Regan just overlooked what Gabe had done.

I totally loved the characters of Gabe's grandma and Joanna but some of the other characters were not as well drawn. For example, except for Gabe I didn't get a clear idea of the other brothers' and Abigail. To keep saying that so and so was like this all of the time started to drive me crazy. There was a lot of tell and not show with some of the characters.

Ultimately, I thought that the novel had a great plot, but the execution was off in a variety of ways that prevented me from giving this a five star rating and ended up providing it with three stars. I hope the subsequent novels about this family improve, but I doubt I will buy any of them.

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok read but wasn't really a winner for me, October 15, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book had me scratching my head.

Regan Martin had the bad misfortune at the age of 19 to fall in love with a smooth talking man who was already married. She did not know this and was as much a victim of his perfidy as his wife. Except the wife has a large and loving family who will do anything to protect her. Since the cheating husband has taken a powder and disappeared to parts unknown, all the considerable ire of the vengeance seeking clan falls on the head of the hapless Regan.

The book picks up six years later. Regan, who happens to work in the same industry as the DeLuca family (the family of the wronged wife) has found herself blackballed and unable to find a job. Every time she gets an interview, the oldest DeLuca brother Gabe somehow manages to get to the prospective employer and poor Regan finds herself without prospects again.

However Regan finally gets a break. She gets a job at a small start-up winery in Napa valley and it includes a place to live. This couldn't have come at a better time because Regan is down to the fumes of her savings account and it is Christmas season. She has a young daughter (she was pregnant with married-cheater's child when he took off) who she wants to make this the best Christmas ever. Except, Gabe DeLuca has caught up with her again.

The reason this book has me scratching my head was because I was not sure what tone this author intended to take. On the one hand it sometimes plays out like a sexy comedy. Regan and Gabe spar and twinkle and flirt throughout. They sometimes seem like they are simply playing a fun game of sexy one-upmanship. There are also wacky hijinks involving a reindeer and three busybody old ladies.

Yet at other times, Regan is in the pits of despair. She has been prevented from holding a meaningful job for 6 years through the whims of one vengeful family. Through dialogue and exposition we learn that she and her daughter have lived in a succession of not-very-nice apartments, she has very little money left and is feeling incredibly demoralized. Having been unceremoniously tossed out this job (and home) which she thought was finally going to give her a measure of security, she ends up working as a hotel maid briefly. This is untenable to her because as the daughter of a Mexican illegal immigrant, Regan had been determined not to have the same menial jobs her mother had when she was growing up. And yet, here she was..a maid.

So yeah, there was a bit of cognitive dissonance there. At times the story was engaging and even funny. However, I simply could not resolve how Regan could be feeling any attraction to Gabe considering he had pretty much messed up her livelihood for six years.

To the author's credit, she doesn't make Gabe a total asshat. Once he realizes that his unrelenting campaign has impacted the life of a child (he did not know she had a daughter) he begins to question his actions and tries to make amends. The story does get better once he realizes this, but I had already been so soured on what I felt was such willfully unfair persecution that I couldn't really enjoy the romance between these two.

Another headscratcher is Regan herself. She was 19 when she had the affair and found out she was pregnant with her daughter, still a sophomore in college. And yet she is supposedly some whiz at Marketing at the ripe old age of 24. The job she gets is actually VP of Marketing. I was not convinced that she could have landed such a job considering that she had been denied job opportunities since the affair was discovered. I also kept getting knocked out of the story a bit whenever Regan mentioned her Mexican immigrant mother and her absentee French father because I would idly wonder where the heck the name 'Regan Martin' came from?

Not a bad book by any means. It was a quick read and I did not feel like I was slogging through it nor did I want to chuck it against the wall. But definitely not a winner for me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing with a Lot of Vulgar Language--Especially for a Holiday Romance Novel, December 17, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I did not like this book. I couldn't bring myself to finish it. The author's use of foul language both in dialogue and as part of the characters' thoughts from the beginning was really a major turnoff for me. I don't pick up a nice holiday-themed novel to read this type of stuff. (Well, in the book the word would not have been "stuff.") I couldn't get into this one at all. I didn't like the heroine or the hero from the start. Both were shallow and vindictive folks. If this is supposed to represent real life--well, no thank you. As hard as it is for good authors to get published, it's really disappointing to see something like this put out as a Christmas related story. The premise of the story was one I never bought into. The characterization and inter-relationships between the guy and the gal were hard to find believable. No 'willing suspension of disbelief' as to the motivations of either of them. I had fully expected to enjoy this book. I like wine and wineries. I love Christmas and love stories. Who doesn't love love? Unfortunately, after managing to choke my way through approximately half of this book, I simply had to give up. This one was making me feel more like Ebeneezer Scrooge than Buddy the Elf. Seriously, I hate to be so harsh, but I truly detested this novel.

1.0 out of 5 stars the story started out well but..., February 11, 2014
This review is from: Kissing Under the Mistletoe (A St. Helena Vineyard Novel) (Kindle Edition)
The book had unnecessary crudeness. Did the author think the book needed that to make it? I stopped reading and had it removed from my kindle

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Emotional, Delightful & Fun, December 16, 2012
Being the holidays, I wanted to read something romantic centered around the season. In Kissing Under the Mistletoe, I got that and so much more. With a story that is not only delightful and fun, but also highly emotional, I practically used up a box of tissues while getting to know Regan and Gabe in a story set in romantic wine country!

What can I say about Regan Martin? From the start, I found her to be awesome! She's a single mom to almost 6-year old Holly. They recently moved to St. Helena for a fresh start, a dream job for her, and an excellent school for her daughter. Most of all, she wants to give Holly the most perfect Christmas ever! Did I mention that Regan seems to be a little cursed with unfortunate events, too? Ahh, yes! This story had so many laugh-out-loud moments that all the stuff that happens to Regan had me both laughing and crying at the same time! Really, it was like a one step forward, two steps back kind of thing for her. I felt every emotion and sympathized with Regan every step of the way. In fact, I found a lot of the mishaps and sequence of events to be witty and humorous and written so seamlessly!

When you first meet Gabe DeLuca, you will think he is a big, relentless jerk. He is a thorn at Regan's side, because, unintentional or not, he makes life miserable for her. Oh, he has his reasons, but you will quickly find out that Gabe and the DeLuca family jumped to conclusions too quickly when it comes to Regan. His heart and mind begin to change as he and Regan spend more time together. The chemistry between them is pretty intense.

"See, Vixen," he whispered, watching the pulse at the base of her neck skyrocket. "When you refer to stuff, I can only imagine you're talking about how whenever we're together we can't seem to keep our hands off each other. And when we do touch it's so damn combustive it's hard to breathe." --Gabe

Marina Adair, I found your writing to be so clever and refreshing! When I say clever, I'm specifically thinking of all the "Randolph" business...so hilarious! I'm so glad I took a chance on this story! There is no doubt that I will be waiting for and wanting what comes next from you.

Full of small hometown traditions, family, friendships, mischief and Christmas miracles, Kissing Under the Mistletoe is a romantic comedy that can be enjoyed anytime of the year.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good read, December 11, 2012
Not as predictable as other romances I've read. Quite enjoyable. I would love to read more of her books in the future.

2.0 out of 5 stars Kissing Under the Mistletoe, November 30, 2012
I like to buy a Christmas book each year and this one probably has a good story, but I'm having trouble getting into it due to language that makes me very uncomfortable - guess I'm a prude.

2.0 out of 5 stars Just a jerk, May 15, 2014
Maliana (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
I've read a bunch of reviews that criticize the vulgar language, but very few who mention that the hero (Gabe) has spent six years ruining the career of a young woman who unwittingly had an affair with his brother-in-law. The heroine was 19 when she dated her 30 year old boss, who was an embezzler and thief. Did no one in the DeLuca family consider that dude might have lied to her too? Or considered that she might have a pretty solid case for sexual harassment against their vineyard. Or for, you know stalking against the hero? In the early scene when she is trying to find a job in town and Gabe keeps scuttling her I kept wanting ONE of the vineyard people to stand up to him and say that he was abusing his influence and they didn't care to do business with someone like him. Gabe starts to have second thoughts when he realizes she lives in, horror of horrors, a 1 bedroom apartment. Did it never occur to him that he was messing with her livelihood? It just drives me crazy when an author punishes women for misunderstandings and rewards men when the regret their own terrible behavior.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the time, March 2, 2014
Mrs. Mac (Pennsylvania, USA) - See all my reviews
Title sounded cute to me, so I bought it. I soon found out that buying this book was a big mistake. It's trite with every sexual cliche there is. There's very little story, characters who drop in and drop out arbitrarily--very hard to follow. It's only saving grace is that it's short. Looking for something to read? Buy something else. I wish I could get my money back.