5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific all around frying pan
Published on July 5, 2009 by P. W. Moore

1.0 out of 5 stars frying pan or fryer
Very disappointed upon receiving this product. I thought I was getting a Calphalon frying pan similar to the one I have, but instead, I received a fryer. The rounded bottom of the pan is not conducive to frying but is more suited to stir frying. Then, I find out it's from Target. Bad decision on my part. Not worth the $62!
Published on November 22, 2008 by Rod Sailors

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific all around frying pan, July 5, 2009
P. W. Moore (Orange County CA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Kitchen Essentials® from Calphalon® Covered Hard-Anodized Nonstick Jumbo Frying Pan - 12"
I absolutely love this frying pan. 1) I can cook enough pot stickers (lid is essential) to feed my family of 4 in just two batches. 2) Making fried rice is so easy, because of the non-stick feature, again the large size is really convenient. 3) Even the always sticky Chinese Chow Fun is no problem for this non-stick pan. 4) Yes chinese dishes are no problem for this pan, and it is equally fantastic in saute'ing western style dishes. I make pancakes, scramble eggs, pork chops, steaks, saute fish, paella, chili and many other dishes using this pan.

So far, under almost daily usage, the non-stick surface is still looking very good, without any flaking and scratches. I use only wood and plastic spatulas. The large size and higher walls make it easy to toss and stir the food without spilleage, which makes cleanup much easier. BTW, my cook top is gas, and the pan distributes the heat very evenly over the entire surface.

I hope they keep making this pan, because I'm buying another when this one finally wears out. My pan is entirely made of metal, without any plastic on the handles, so I'm able to put it into the oven for baking as well.

Jan 17 2011 Update,

A year and a half later and the Pan is still in great condition. Non-stick material is still working fine. I'm giving it to my daughter, because she wanted it for making gyoza's. Time for me to buy a new one.

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPER stir-fry pan, April 2, 2009
Phred (Ventura, CA) - See all my reviews
Despite that Calphalon also offers a 12" stir-fry pan, this jumbo fry pan works really well for that purpose on an American stove because of its larger flat bottom which acts more like a skillet.

Conventional flat-bottom woks and stir-fry pans with typically very small flat bottoms (6" or less in diameter) don't heat as well and tend to encourage moisture to accumulate at the bottom of the pan resulting in a lot of steaming with even a modest amount of ingredients.

This pan differs from a deep fryer in having higher curved sides, which coupled with its relatively light weight, makes it good for tossing and sliding food around.

The glass lid (usually an expensive extra) is really nice for the times you have to steam your stir-fry veggies (or even cook rice) and you can easily gauge its progress without lifting the lid and losing heat/pressure.

This pan is similar (in size and shape) to the cheaper stir-fry pans common in the Asian stores (albeit a bit heavier) but with much higher quality in material and workmanship.

If you have a professional stove with a large burner ring, you don't need this pan for stir-frying ... you're better off with a real wok. OTOH, if you're like me and stuck with an electric burner or a limited gas flame that can't really heat and maintain the sides of most woks/stir-fry pans to sizzling temperatures, then this pan is for you.

4.0 out of 5 stars Calphalon is good stuff, November 28, 2010
This is a review of Calphalon pots & pans IN GENERAL. This specific item is a Christmas gift, so I don't have a review for it, specifically.

Generally speaking, I think Calphalon is good stuff. Almost all of my pots & pans are Calphalon hard-anodized non-stick aluminum. I recommend them to friends and family regularly. Compared to other high quality pots & pans, their prices are about average and much less expensive than many of the other brands out there. They are good for high heat cooking and clean up very easily. Generally speaking, that is.

I only have two complaints which prevent me from giving Calphalon pots & pans (especially this 12" frying pan) a 5 star review: 1) The handle of the lid is not very heat resistant; be sure to use a pot holder when removing the lid. 2) the non-stick coating doesn't seem very durable on SOME of their products. I have about 10 pieces of Calphalon and 3 of them are wearing pretty badly even though I use heat resistant silicone utensils exclusively.

Calphalon claims to have an excellent lifetime warranty, however I have not attempted to take advantage of that warranty on those pots & pans I have which have shown excessive wearing of the non-stick coating. If I do decide to attempt to secure replacement under Calphalon's warranty, I'll update this review appropraiately.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cook Crazy, August 6, 2010
Great frying pan! Threw out my old one! This one is really nice! Love it

4.0 out of 5 stars Newer kitchen, December 28, 2010
My kitchen appliances and utensils are 43 years old. Got a pan that's not to heavy, has a glass top, and is non-stick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product!, February 7, 2010
These pans are great non-stick pans w/ a silicon coated handle that allow for easy handling as well as the ability to put into the oven.

1.0 out of 5 stars frying pan or fryer, November 22, 2008