Kitchen Aid Pro Line 6 quart stand mixer I just purchased a Kitchen Aid Pro Line 6 quart stand mixer from a major retailer's website. I was a little hesitant after reading the numerous complaints about the plastic gearbox housing, and also by the fact that Kitchen Aid seems to have removed the Pro Line 6-qt mixer from its website.

I checked the serial number on my box (it begins with WW12) and called the Kitchen Aid support line, but the very nice woman I spoke to was unable to tell me the date of manufacture. Does anyone else have an idea if the gearbox would be metal based on the serial number? I really don't want to take the top off to check if I don't have to. Thanks!
asked by Bundtlust on April 15, 2008
Sort: Most Helpful first | Newest first | Oldest first
Showing 1-10 of 19 answers
A
Folks, Let me put everyones mind at ease about this metal or plastic transmission housing issue in the pro 600 mixers. First, let me start by telling you that I have 3 kitchenaid mixers, a 275 watt, a 300 watt, and I have a pro 600 comming monday. All of these mixers I bought for less than $100.00 each because they needed to be repaired, the first one I repaired in about 5 min at no cost, the second one was tougher, It took about twenty minutes to fix that one at a whopping $6.00 plus shipping, It's a black 300 watt that's only two years old and looks like new, it's running strong. My point is, these kitchenaids are so easy to fix that anyone, can repair any problem, from 250 watt up to the 575 watt mixers in about 20 min., if you only take one 10 min. coffee break. Now, let me get to the point, If you have a pro 600 with a plastic transmission cover, dont frett, were going to fix it. Get online and go to: buy-it-nowstore.com and purchase the metal transmission housing from them for $12.99 + shipping. When I recieve my pro 600 monday, I will take it apart and write a step by step procedure to replace the plastic housing with the metal housing, then I will write it here on this descussion page for anyone to follow. I will not be responsable for any damage to your mixer, or injury you may incur to yourself. You may follow my instruction, at your own risk. If you feel like it is within your mechanical ability to complete the task, go for it, if your not sure if you can do it, take your mixer to a repair shop and let them install your new metal housing. "Problem solved". I will be back here next week to write the procedure, It's very simple.
Gary Thorstenson answered on March 10, 2011
Comment | 26 of 27 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Hello, Due to lack of interest from readers I decided not to write a procedure, but I will tell you how to check out the wifes mixer. First remove the chrome band,you will find 4 screws on the mixer head, simply remove the screws and lift the cover streight up, carefull not to chip the paint, set it aside, 2nd. remove the 4 screws in the black trans housing and lift it streight up, turn it over and remove the worm gear, check it for wear if it looks good regrease it and set it aside, then check the other gears in the transmission, if they look good simply regrease them and put everything back together. if you need to buy any parts, go to sears and give them your modle number and they can get your parts.

Gary
Gary Thorstenson answered on April 3, 2011
Comments (3) | 17 of 17 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Don't buy this is you plan on making bread. I am a trained chef who bought one of these out of cooking school. It's fine for cakes and other light duty whipping and mixing. I assure you that if you make bread it will eventually fail in the gearbox....i'm on my third mixer from these guys and it just failed after three years (mixers one and two were the same mixer, failed in warranty)....now I'm out of warranty and trying to decide whether I want to spend $170 to repair this dog again, or just go to the Bosch mixer that is built to handle doughs without failure.
Mark W. Furlong answered on June 20, 2010
Comment | 9 of 10 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
I owned the KA Ultra power for nearly 10 years and wanted to upgrade to the larger and stronger one so I just bought my pro 600 right before X-mas 2010, and was so ecstatic to try it out. To my GREAT disappointment, on the first batch of my yeast dough it overheated, smelled like burning electronics, and then started to smoke. I called the Kitchenaid customer service and explained what happened, and they were nice about replacing it with a new one. Again, I tried to make a yeast dough for my bread, about 12 cups of flour and running in the two lowest gears for about 3-5 minutes, it started to smell and smoke again. I called the company again and they are going to replace it again since its still brand new and under warranty. But I'm quite disappointed and I'm assuming its the common problem with this model and I don't expect much more from the new replacement. The rep told me that after the fourth replacement if it does the same thing they will refund my money back. We'll see. Kitchenaid is just not what they used to be.
Daniel Lee answered on January 19, 2011
Comment | 4 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Veggiechiliqueen, please read the posts at http://www.amazon.com/anybody-models-shipped-gearboxs-plastic/forum/Fx1UONYPEXDDH0B/TxORR918EEI18Q/1/ref=cm_cd_ef_tft_tp?%5Fencoding=UTF8&asin=B0006LKLTS for you question. My mixer's serial number begins with WW05 and the packing box printed 'Direct Drive - All-Steel Gear Transmission'.

I got my mixer 4 hours ago. I started the mixer but noticed some rattling noise - like some gears hiting the casting. I called KitchenAid. The representative was very nice and told me the Pro 600 Series mixer is a bit noiser than other mixer. She assured me that if the noise of the mixer is getting louder, she will ship a new one for me.

Have you gotten your rebate form? http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/00/00/01/52/29/63/152296350._V10117256_.pdf
Paul Yip answered on April 15, 2008
Comment | 1 of 1 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Looking forward to your tutorial, my wife's low duty professional 6 is making intermittent gear sounds on every revolution.
spirit answered on March 21, 2011

A
I have the same problem with my mixer and just called kitchen aid to see if they will fix a known problem. They will not fix it. It is outside the warranty and they haven't issued a recall on it. They also said that outside of the 1 year warranty they will do nothing except to refer you to a repair person outside their company. The employee I got "Ashley" said that "there is no problem, they sell thousands of these mixers and the number of complaints about this would be minimal for them not to have heard of a problem." When I told her all I did was type it in google and I got tons of sites talking about the same issue she asked me where I was seeing it and what sites, of course she was getting curt at that point. Bottom line is they will not fix it and they don't intend to. I've been looking around and am seeing that my previous thoughts that these mixers were the best is incorrect when it comes to any stiff dough, which is what I was making when this happened, bread dough for rolls. I will be buying parts to correct the problem but will not be purchasing another kitchenaid in the furture just for the fact that when they have a problem with their product they don't stand behind it. When I spend this much money on something I need it to work properly and last. One last note, I asked to make a formal complaint and they were unable to even direct me to someone to take the complaint. All she could do was "log" the complaint so when I called in again the person I speak to will know I complained. Lot of good this will do them. When I asked for someone else she acted like she didn't know what I meant and I went round and round until I gave up.
Stacey answered on January 23, 2012
Comment (1) | 3 of 4 found this helpful. Do you?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
forget Sears, get part for 2-3x less on Amazon..
spirit answered on April 4, 2011

A
I read somewhere that the ser number 14 and above have the metal transmission housing and the 13 and below have the plastic housing. This information came from a KA rep in answer to a customer inquirie about this issue.
Gary Thorstenson answered on March 10, 2011
Comment (1) | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse

A
Thanks your a life saver.. worm gear follower was chewed up.. must not be hardened gears. The grease is liquifying so that probably doesnt help matters either. Only a few hours usage, though with stiff batter.
Any recommendations on grease? I'm inclined to want to use automotive wheel bearing grease.
spirit answered on April 4, 2011
Comment | Do you find this helpful?  Yes No | Report abuse
‹ Previous   1   2   Next ›