Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Deradoorian $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football STEM Toys & Games

on August 25, 2010
I really love this frig. I thought I'd hate the deli tray - almost all the frigs seem to have them - but it works out really well to hold containters of things (goat cheese, yogurt, etc) which I can see and pull out at a glance vs getting lost in the back on a rack.

The counter depth is great, but what distinguishes the Kitchenaid for me is the interior water dispenser. I don't like in-the-door water/ice dispensers because I think they're unattractive, and they take up so much room inside. Mostly I want water - ice I can get from below easily - and this saves so much room not needing to use my big brita. Am sold on counter depth now because I can see everything so much more easily - the frig is wider and not as deep and that's perfect.

The only reason I'm not giving it 5 (or 10) stars is because the stainless is high maintenance. Nothing seemed to clean it well so I researched it to death (and went through a number of stainless steel cleaners) and followed the recommendation of a lot of people to use Weisman spray cleaner with a microcloth. That works really really well - but I wish the metals Kitchenaid uses would require less maintenance. I'm aware now and in the habit of keeping my hands off the doors as much as possible - using just the handles - but if I had a bunch of kids in the house it'd drive me batty.

I'd buy this frig again in a heartbeat. Love it!
on May 25, 2011
I rarely expect products to be excellent anymore. My new criteria for excellence is when something is "OK". That is what this fridge is ...OK. Have had it for two years and is working fine. ergonomically however it is kinda dumb. THe water filter and controls are above the top shelf, and unfortunately cut into it quite a bit. If I place a gallon of milk on the top shelf it doesn't fit easily. If you move the shelf down then the lower shelves are too confined. I have manipulated the controls once since I purchased this, one you set the temp, why play with it? For this reason, I would have placed the control panel in the back..out of the way, and the filter as well. In an effort to be more convenient they have made it less so, but today that is par. It's OK.

Oh yeah...the bottom grill rattles
on November 28, 2012
My brand new fridge rusted on all three doors within 3 months!i called Kitchen aid They told me its cosmetic and wouldn't honor my warranty on a less than 3 month old fridge that nothing I did made it rust. Crazy!
on May 14, 2014
I've had this fridge for about 3 years. The defrost drip system is routed through the freezer and the drain freezes up often which causes water to leak out from the freezer and onto the floor.

The problem is a grommet that melts shut because it is located too close to a fridge motor. This is a known issue and KitchenAid has done nothing to fix it. No product recall or replacement of parts. it is up to me to purchase replacement parts to fix this poor design. For something that has been going on since I bought the fridge.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 23, 2013
I purchased one for myself and one for family based on looks and the expensive brand.

BOTH refrigerators broke down just after the one year warranty! KitchenAid's defect cost us $$$$ in out-of-pocket repairs. My fridge leaked water and ruined the cabinets because the cooler wasn't working properly. My family's KitchenAid compressor completely shut down.

They were purchased 10 months apart from two different major retailers. KitchenAid's warranty repair service sucks--labor not included even with their manufacturing defect. Waited several days for an appointment and then it's an "all day appointment", meaning you have to wait at home all day.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 22, 2013
The condenser coils are located under the refrigerator. They radiate heat generated by the compressor as it chills the refrigerant than is circulated to cool the food.

Unfortunately, the condenser coils are hidden behind a fixed metal grate with only three small access slots. This means it is impossible to clean dust and pet hair off of the coils.

The short term implication is that the coils become insulated by the dust and hair, do not radiate heat as well, and require the refrigerator to run longer for the same amount of cooling. This runs up my electric bill.

The long term implication is that eventually the coils fail to radiate sufficient heat and, on an earlier (another brand) refrigerator, the compressor overheated and failed. This required replacing a 6 year old refrigerator.

I am furious at KitchenAid for selling such a design.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 6, 2013
I bought my frige in Aug of 2010. Today, May 6, 2013, the compressor died and the repair man quoted me $1200 to order and install a new one! Compressors should not crap out after less than 3 years. Too many of these units DIDN'T make their third birthdays!!
on February 15, 2011
KitchenAid refrigerators are usually 50% more expensive than, say Kenmore. You would expect higher quality. But unfortunately I got the exact opposite. Mine broken down in less than 3 years. Two repair attempts cost over $500. Got a new compressor. My mom has a very old Hitachi ref, 10 years old still runs like new. I would never buy any KitchenAid products from now on.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 24, 2014
I don't usually ever write a review for anything, however I feel quite compelled to write a review for a similar refrigerator that I purchased 2.5 years ago. I would write the review under the actual model number I purchased, however they conveniently don't sell that model any more. They do, however, sell the parts to fix this hunk of junk......and they don't come cheap nor does the labor!!!!!

So where to begin....When we first purchased this item I think it came with a 1 year warranty. We had the repair man come out 2x during this year. He was unable to fix the problems...... the french doors swing open wildly and the temperature regulation sucks (many things in back of the the fridge and in the crisper drawers freeze and this ruins my fresh produce!!!). He tells me there is nothing to fix and this is how the refrigerator is made......What???????

Fast forward to 2.5 years of ownership for this gem. I call a repairman because the freezer is leaking water all over my kitchen floor (luckily we have tile and not hardwoods as a lot of kitchens do). He is going to have to order 2 parts to fix this problem. I am still unsure how much this is going to cost but when I looked up the parts for this model they are quite pricey as is the labor to fix them. My guess is that is will be about $300 for repair by the time this is all over and done with! RIDICULOUS!!!!!! I am sorry but when you pay TOP dollar for an appliance like this you should not be having to do expensive repair frequently. PLEASE notice that most of the positive reviews are from owners who have had their fridge for 3 months or less.

If you do choose to get a kitchenaid make sure you get the longest warranty they offer because you will need it (and I don't ever recommend a warranty- what new appliance should need a warranty.....it should not be breaking so soon after you buy it).

The foot plate for this refrigerator SUCKS and comes off all the time. It is a cheap piece of plastic junk and when it comes off it does not fit back correctly so you have to just jimmy it in there and hope someone doesn't kick it off on accident. I have a toddler and it is a fun game for her to pull it off so I have to keep the foot plate on the top of the fridge until she is out of this phase. This looks great as you can imagine...I have a $2500 fridge that looks like a hunk of junk! This is not just my model, my brother has a fancier model and his does the same thing.

I do not really recommend the french doors. Sure they look great and that is what all the upscale kitchens have but the doors do not shut well. There is an alarm that will sound if they are open but what happens when a guest is the last person in the fridge and you leave for the day??? Well the temperature inside is 126 degrees because it has been open all day and the light inside has been acting like an oven!!!!

The water flow from the water dispenser is painfully SLOW!!!!!! Its probably why so many people complain of things freezing because you have to sit there with the door open for 2 minutes to get 32oz of water!!!! My water pressure in the rest of the house is good so I don't by "your water pressure is bad" excuse

I could go on but you get the idea.......My advice, but the simplest fridge you can find, the more upgrades and "features", the more chance you will be calling a repair man in the near future!!!!!!

The only thing I like is it is easy to take apart to clean.
on January 5, 2014
We have had nothing but problems with this fridge. We have run the self-cleaning cycle three times in the 18 months we have had it and all three times the thermo fuse blew and it cost $200 to repair! Eah time I tried reducing the lenght of time of the cleaning hoping it would not blow but it still did! We have now ordered the part and will fix it ourselves when it burns out the next time we clean the oven!
Now we have a problem with ice bullding up on the freezer floor, and water then leaks out. From my research it seems it is a common problem where the defrost drain gets plugged.
On top of that, it dents easily. We have several dents on the top edge of the freezer drawer that are quite unseemly.
Beyond thi, it is not well-configured inside - I can not fit as much i it as my previous, smaller fridge.

See 1 answered question