Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Gifts for Mom to look and feel great Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

Color: Chrome|Change
Price:$59.99+ $15.99 shipping

on December 3, 2001
*** update 2014 ***

We have now had this chopper for over 12 years. Apart from some minor hazing on the bowl, it is still as useful as ever.

-----------------------------

I have had a few full-size food processors in the past -- both expensive and cheap models -- and the main complaints I had with them were: bulkiness, noise, and cleanup time. Over time, I realized that I was doing fewer and fewer things with the processor, and then finally, it got put away for good.

But lately, I found that I was chopping the same ingredients, in almost the same amounts, again and again.

So, on a whim, really, I decided to give the Kitchenaid 3-cup chopper a try. I own a number of Kitchenaid large appliances, and have always been satisfied. This food chopper is no exception, as it exceeds my expectations for handling my chopping drudgery. Be it onions, garlic, emulsifying dressing, making bread crumbs, chopping nuts, whatever.

This unit takes a very small amount of counter space, has a great look, stores its cord in the base, and its bowl and cover are dishwasher-safe.

This appliance is a nice time-saver, and that, in my opinion, makes it a great item.
22 comments|558 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2004
When I starting searching for a mini-chopper I was surprised by the huge rating difference between the Cuisinart DLC2 and the KitchenAid KFC3100, so I bought both and did a side-by-side comparison. The only explanation I can give for the ratings difference is that Cuisinart buyers must have higher expectations. For most operations they have nearly identical performance and for some operations the Cuisinart is the clear winner.

Onions: Many Cuisinart reviewers panned its performance here, claiming it made onion purée, but most KitchenAid reviewers praised its onion chopping ability. I found almost no difference between the two. Maybe its an issue with the instructions - for chopped onions you must use a few short pulses. A few more pulses and you get minced onion - more than this and both give you onion puree. I wouldn't say either is great at chopping onions, but both are equally mediocre.

I also tested chopping nuts, and making breadcrumbs with similar results. Both performed about the same for a course chop, although the Cuisinart produced a more even chop on the nuts, but its when you want a really fine chop that the Cuisinart starts to shine. The first reason for this is the grind feature found only on the Cuisinart. This spins the blade in the opposite direction which allows the flat, back-side of the blade to impact the food. More importantly, it redistributes the food, so if you've got a couple of chunks that refuse to be chopped, a short pulse in the opposite direction helps it drop into the blade. For perfect, fine breadcrumbs I alternate between the normal chop mode for a few seconds, and grind for one second.

The other reason the Cuisinart gives a better fine chop is that it does a much better job of cycling the food through the blade. This is a real key when you're working with softer foods like spreads, pâtés or purees. When I made a cream cheese spread in both choppers the Cuisinart did a far quicker and better job of pulling the ingredients down the center and into the blade. The KitchenAid kept larger chunks bobbing on top. If you're making dips, spreads or baby food, the Cuisinart is the hands-down winner.

On the practical side, both choppers were equally easy to clean. Both have small holes in the lid for pouring in liquids on the fly, but only The KitchenAid has a slot for dry or thick ingredients - if that's important to you. Overall, I found the Cuisinart easier to use for several reasons. First, the Cuisinart blade drops on easily, while the KitchenAid blade is keyed and I found myself turning it several times before it dropped in. Second, the KitchenAid lid must be removed first before you can lift off the bowl, but on the Cuisinart, the bowl and lid can be detached as an assembly. Finally, the Cuisinart blade has a "handle" that extends to the top of the bowl like a popsicle stick allowing you to remove the blade without getting your fingers in the food.

After all my testing, I really can't understand the large ratings difference between these two. Neither is perfect - you'll never get a perfect, even, course chop with things like onions or chocolate, but they do come in handy. For many uses either one will give you pretty much the same results. Because of its advantage with softer foods and its ease of use, I recommend the Cuisinart.
3232 comments|1,432 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 18, 2002
I've never really liked food processors. They are bulky, confusing to assemble, and a pain to clean. I also enjoy the feeling of cutting up my own vegetables the old fashioned way with a knife and board. But after throwing a dinner party where I spent HOURS chopping vegetables, I decided enough is enough and picked up this little buddy.
It works best as a chopper for things like onions, shallots, garlic, or nuts. I've also used it to make fine ground bread crumbs that would have taken forever using a mortar and pestle. Given how small it is, I always leave it on the counter so I can use it whenever I want. The best thing is that clean up has never been a problem. No scrubbing, picking food out of a funky blade, or any other real chores. The blades are as sharp as knife though, so treat that with caution in the sink.
My only real complaint with this chopper is that it is slightly awkard to put together. I always want to take the container, put the blade in, put the food in, put the top on, and put that on the chopper base. Doesn't work that way (but then no chopper or food processor probably does), though I wish it did. Instead, the container goes on the base, then the blade goes in, then the food, and finally the top.
The only other caveat is that you need to quarter or roughly cube your food to be processed. If you don't, then it can often end up stuck above the blade. This limitation is not particular to Kitchenaid's product but choppers in general. The small basin doesn't allow you to drop in big food items like a food processor can handle. Still, it saves you plenty of time.
11 comment|116 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 21, 2003
I love almost everything about this chopper. It's reasonably priced, a nice size, and it does a good job with the chopping (my first experiment, chicken salad, was a success). It's easy to clean, the cord stores in the base, there's a slot in the top to add ingredients while mixing, and the little paddle is handy for scraping out the food from the bowl (it's a tight fit for one of those regular size rubber kitchen paddles). Another good feature: the chop button won't function unless the lid is locked in place.
The one thing I don't love: the noise. I expected some noise with a chopper, of course, but this thing is so loud and *shrill* that it's almost embarrassing to use. It sounds sort of like a dentist's drill, times ten.
So, we have four stars for this product. It does its job, it just makes a lot of noise doing so.
11 comment|181 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2004
I owned one of the less expensive models by another manufacturer until someone borrowed it and never returned it. I love the convenience of having a food chopper handy for those time consuming chopping/mincing chores, consequently, I decided to replace it with the more expensive KitchenAid model. Having owned a less expensive model I can honestly say that the KitchenAid is worth the extra money.

First, it is an attractive addition to any kitchen. It has a generous 3-cup bowl which comes in handy when chopping an entire onion or several items at once. The unit has a pulse button allowing the user to easily control the chopping process. This little jewel has lots of 'gittyup". No need to chop in increments. It can handle nearly everything you could throw at it with relative ease and in short order.

Whoever designed the unit had easy cleanup in mind. The interior is a completely smooth suface with no hidden crevices to trap food. Simply remove and rinse the blade, then rinse the bowl for a few seconds under tap water. I subsequently wipe it dry with a paper towel or dish towel then put the entire unit back together - all in under a minute.

The first thing I used it for after it arrived was preparing an omelette the next morning. I added onion and several types of peppers to the bowl and had them perfectly chopped and blended in a few seconds. Before the omelette was finished cooking, I had the blade and chopper bowl cleaned and reinstalled. How easy can it get? When you consider that many of your cooking chores will require chopping ingredients, in some form or fashion, it makes sense to invest wisely in a good food chopper. In my opinion, this one is the best on the market.
on July 6, 2003
This little chopper is fantastic. And QUIET. I make more noise whacking away on my cutting board. It's easy to clean too! There are a couple of inconveniences about it for left-handed folks. The bowl can only be attached one way, and it's not a natural turning motion for lefties. And adding ingredients means opening the bowl cover or trying to pour liquids in a little, tiny opening. But hey, you're not trying to make a pie crust (try that in your big processor, it's great!) but chop some onions and peppers for an omlette. I used it this morning to beat the eggs, chop the veggies, and grate the cheese. Only 1 bowl to clean up. I HIGHLY recommend this to everyone.
On another note: I purchased this through a Gold Box offer. I had trouble with the Gold Box and the price would not show correctly. Amazon was FANTASTIC about getting me my credit and making sure I was happy.
Thanks so much for a great product at a great price.
on July 9, 2004
I cannot believe how powerful this little machine is! Up until now I've been using a cheap food processor ($10 or less at the dollar store) figuring that I don't use it often enough to spend a lot. Then I end up spending just as much time cutting the food into small enough pieces to be processed that I might as well not have one!
I decided it was worth the extra money to get a nicer one when my baby started on solid foods. I figured I'd spend less on a $40 processor in the long run than on jarred baby food for the next 6-8 months.
I cannot believe how much better this machine is! When I first used it, I filled it about 1/4 full because I didn't want to break anything. The machine laughed at me. In a matter of seconds, it processes even a bowl full of large chunks like there's nothing to it! I told my husband to throw his home-made salsa in to puree (he usually uses the blender) and he was hesitant. When he saw how fast it liquified he admitted it was more powerful than our cheap blender! It also pulls the food in the top down to be blended, which our blender doesn't do so well - usually we have to open it and stir a bunch of times.
It cleans up SO easy (no nooks and crannys), and I love the cord storage on the bottom (too many visable cords is a pet peeve of mine).
The only drawback I have is that even at the 3-cup size, it's too large to grind small seeds (i.e. flaxseed). I still have to use the coffee grinder for that.
on October 22, 2001
I currently have the Kitchenaid 11 cup food processor and it is excellent. However, it is a lot to clean when you are cooking for yourself. Recently, I purchased the chopper to do small batches of onions etc. This chopper is really excellent. It chops great and is easy to clean in the dishwaser. It is also very quiet. I would never think of giving it up.
on March 26, 2004
I had the Cuisinart DLC Miniprep first, and was not happy with it. I wanted a small food processor primarily to chop up an onion and some garlic cloves, and with the Cuisinart, I pretty much ended up doing almost all of the chopping before I put the food in the processor, otherwise large sections wouldn't get cut.
After reading the reviews here about how the Kitchenaid has the reverse sprial action which pulls down the food, I thought I'd try that one, and it's true!! The Kitchenaid KFC3100 is a superior product! Now I can just cut the onion into quarters and throw in whole garlic cloves and it cuts them all up perfectly. If your not sure which of the two products to buy, get the Kitchenaid KFC3100!
11 comment|85 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2006
I am so pleased with this chopper. It doesn't pulverize foods, it actually chops them. It totally speeds up chopping onions and you can make delicous salsas and chutneys in it. It also does great in the dishwasher. I use it so much I got one for my parents and now they're hooked too. My dad (Texan) makes this delicous salsa (it's so much cheaper, healthier and more delicous than store-bought)...just use the chopper to mince the jalapenos then chop the onions before adding remaining ingredients:

1 (15 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
1/3 large sweet onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 fresh jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1 lime, juice only
salt and pepper to taste

However, if you are looking to make an investment, I kind of wish I'd gotten the 9 or 12-cup Kitchenaid Food Processor ($150-$200) b/c it comes with a 4-cup sized mini bowl that can do all the same stuff this 3-cup one does.