1,103 of 1,121 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Search for the holy blender...
Published on July 31, 2006 by Band Dad

2.0 out of 5 stars Blender Carafe Leaks
Published on February 8, 2007 by Ethann

1,103 of 1,121 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Search for the holy blender..., July 31, 2006
I have been looking for a blender for a few weeks now. We have started making smoothies at home and burned up our old one. Our girls like the "Chocolate Elvis" recipe from the local smoothie place which contains peanutbutter, bananas, yogurt, ice, and milk. I guess this is really hard on blenders. I bought one at Target 2 weeks ago that had "700 watts peak power" on the box. It died in 2 days. The power spec on the bottom of the blender said 450 watts. I think that is false advertisement. I have seen this on 2 different blenders now.

I have been leery of buying any blender with the little plastic teeth couplers because of all the bad reviews here on Amazon. I also wanted to stay away from anything with only 450 watts.

I was in another store and saw this blender. It has a new design for where the blades couple with the motor. "Commercial quality couplers with 12 interlocking teeth....coated for quiet operation".

We have had it for a few days now and have made some pretty thick smoothies. So far, so good. No burning smell like the one that was immediately apparent with the Target blender. My youngest daughter complanied that her smoothie was "too smooth". I guess she got used to the chunks of ice that our past blenders have left.

Kitchenaid doesn't seem to advertise the actual power specs on their blenders. On the bottom of this one it says that it draws 6 amps. Which is about 720 watts or about 0.9 horsepower.

My only complaint so far is the soft start feature. The blade starts at a slower speed then quickly increases to the speed you chose. This process still throws everything up into the lid, which is what it should prevent. It works fine though as long as you have the lid on. It also works if you start with the slowest speed and work your way up.

Overall this blender seems to be well made and pretty well thought out. The cord storage on the bottom is a great feature. It has much bigger feet than the previous model. So far, I would highly recommend this blender for the person looking for a good blender in the under $200 range.

Added comments:
It is a year and about 300 smoothies later and we still have this blender. I would highly recommend it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars They Redesigned The Container (carafe)!!!, May 25, 2008
Bucherwurm "bucherwurm" (California United States) - See all my reviews
We bought this Kitchenaid blender over a year ago, and after several months the container started to leak. The leak was small, and we put up with it for awhile. We finally got tired of the mess, however, and called the factory. We were told that the container had been redesigned, and they would send us a new one immediately even though our warranty had expired. When we got the new one we could see that it had indeed been redesigned, and have used it for some time now, and NO LEAKS. A leak proof container plus the other great features of this blender now warrant a definite five stars.

3/24/12 update. Our blender is now five years old, is used every day, and has been problem free since they replaced the container in 2008.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great performer, February 6, 2010
Peter Dileanis (Sacramento, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Bought this blender after reading good reviews in Cooks Illustrated and have not been disappointed. Majority of use has been for making smoothie drinks and pureeing cooked vegetables for sauces and soups.

The machine is sturdy and attractive. The metal housing appears quite durable and the hefty weight of the base makes for good stability. The jar is large holding more than 7 cups although there is better circulation and mixing with around 5 cups or less. At first I was a bit put off by the plastic jar (seemed cheap) but have come to appreciate its light weight. After a few drops I think it's much more durable than glass and I don't cringe when my wife wacks the edge of the jar with metal spoons. 5 speeds with pulse and ice crush buttons- I would be perfectly happy with 3 speeds. Crushes ice uniformly from chunky to snow-cone fine. Purees are smooth with no lumps. The blender was purchased to replace a still working Waring classic which did not crush ice well at all. The blades do not come off the jar for everyday cleaning, but this has not been a problem - I just run it with some soapy water or put it in the dishwasher. I've waited about 7 months to submit a review in order to give it a good test. Everything still runs well and looks good and I still consider this blender a very good buy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Do Yourself a Favor and Buy this Fantasitc Blender, December 21, 2006
My husband and I make smoothies almost every single night (as in, 6-7 nights/week), so we're really hard on our blenders. We have been through 4 blenders in the last 3 years alone. We started with a cheap Oster blender, but quickly realized that it was pretty much useless for the thick smoothies we like to make. Next, I bought the Back to Basics Smoothie Elite, which was great for as long as it held up, but as it turned out, that was only 6 months. So, we upgraded to the Back to Basics Smoothie Professional, which was great until I dropped the glass jar into the sink and broke it, only to find that you couldn't buy a new one ANYWHERE so my $120 blender was now worthless.

After all this, I decided to stop fooling around and buy a Kitchenaid. This blender has all the power you need (way more power than any of the first 3 blenders I bought; both the smoothie blenders came with a stir stick, but such a thing isn't even necessary when you have the power of this Kitchenaid), and is a steal at $99, since we've had it for a year now and it's still as good as new. The motor is unstoppable, the blade is fantastic, it cleans easily, the jar is polycarbonate (i.e. unbreakable if you drop it), and there is a removable plastic piece in the lid in case you do want to use a stir stick.

I love this blender, and when it dies (which I hope/believe will be years from now, given how reliable my other Kitchenaid appliances are) I will be replacing it with the exact same make and model. It's everything a blender should be!

2.0 out of 5 stars Blender Carafe Leaks, February 8, 2007
I was loving this blender until a couple weeks into owning it and making smoothies daily, I noticed that it was leaking from the bottom of the carafe below the blade. The longer I used it, the worse the leak got until it was virtually pouring out of the bottom of the blender everytime I used it. So I returned it to Amazon and got a replacement. Thinking it was a fluke, I began to use my replacement blender. It is now a couple weeks old and again it is beginning to leak from under the carafe. The motor and everything below the carafe is wonderful, but it appears that there is a design flaw with how the blade is secured to the bottom of the carafe. The nut slowly begins to loosen and with time begins to leak. I would not recommend taking a risk on this model. Looking at the higher priced professional Kitchen Aid model, it appears to have the same carafe and may have the same problem so you may want to try a different manufacturer or research it further before making a purchase.

UPDATE: My original purchase was in 2007, and I'm surprised that people are still buying them in 2013 and commenting to my original review that the same leaky carafe issue remains. Buyer beware. KitchenAid customer service seems to be telling untruths to customers that the carafe has been redesigned, when it hasn't. I have often wondered if it's their own staff that is writing all of these positive reviews about the blender, because it's clearly poorly designed, and still leaks. Some food for thought before considering this manufacturer.

1.0 out of 5 stars Blender Leaks- Stay away!, October 28, 2007
Eric Buss (Temecula, California , USA.) - See all my reviews
Love how the blender looks, but it's got a major, major design flaw. The problem is that after a few weeks of daily use making my smoothies, a leak developted at the base of the jar where the blade attaches. This leak got progressively worse to the point that within a month, my smoothie was completely dripping out the bottom and covering the motor housing. There is a cheap plastic nut that holds the blade to the jar, and this nut will not stay tight. Tried retihgtening it multiple times by hand, but kept coming loose. Finally, I tried tightening it down with a socket and the rubber gasket that creates the seal got twisted from the added pressure and broke- thus making the jar completely useless. There are other posts stating this problem-Strongly recommend you search for another blender. REALLY wanted this one to be a blender I would have for years, but, didn't last two months- VERY DISSAPOINTED. Shame on KitchenAid for not using a stainless steel nut with a fine thread that could be permanently tightend. Advice to KitenAid-get design engineers with some experience, and dont cut corners! I really wonder if KitchenAid even tested this blender before they brought it to market.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Blender, September 20, 2008
I have owned several blenders over the years, including a blender specifically made for smoothies. The motor in this device would smoke when too much ice was used. I returned it immediately because I did not think that was safe. I also previously owned a combination food processor/blender from Hamilton Beach that was pretty efficient. However, it was a huge hassle to switch between the two devices and I stopped using it all together. I have owned this blender for over a year and it is one of the best I have ever used.

The KitchenAid blender is large, quick, and efficient. It makes short work of blending ice, no matter the amount of ingredients placed in the polycarbonate jar. The jar alone is enough to make me want to get another one. It is light, easy to clean, and the handle and contoured pouring lip makes it a breeze to get your ingredients out of it.

I have had no problems with this machine and feel completely comfortable recommending it to other people. The warranty and great customer service offered through KitchenAid covers any and all problems for the first year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it - Love it - Love it UPDATE, September 12, 2006
azgal (Phoenix, AZ) - See all my reviews
After going through 2 Waring PBB blenders - one motor died and blades on both pitchers broke soone after purchase - and many hours of research both online and in store I went out and bought the ksb560 today (would have bought it here but I had a 20% off coupon for store). I was reluctant to buy a "plastic" pitcher but this one is light but sturdy and dishwasher safe, although I would not put in dishwasher but just rinse out after each use. The pitcher has small pinholes on the bottom so when it is turned upside down it drains any excess water left over from washing and does not effect the pitcher otherwise i.e. does not leak contents when upright. On top of that it has a soft grip handle to make holding it easier and is easy to place on and remove from base. A glass or stainless pitcher is also available. The blender base is made of durable metal and not cheap plastic like other models. The clutch on this particular model has been redesigned and better than the other similar KitchenAid 5 speed. I visited KitchenAid's online forum and learned the company actually listens to its customer's complaints about the clutch breaking off so easily. Now for the best part, its quiet!! It blends perfectly and in spite of what others have said about the slight hesitation or what KA calls "soft start" when you first turn it on I really did not notice. The ice crush feature works great, I used it this morning on my frozen strawberries and everything was crushed, no small lingering lumps. I have not used it on ice yet but the manual says you can crush ice without the use of water or liquid which may be a plus for some but ice crushing is not my main use. I use this 2x/day for protein shakes one for me and one for spouse. One more BIG plus and kudos to KitchenAid is that they will replace it if the blender fails within the 1st year and they will arrange for replacement sent to you free of charge.

UPDATE: As much as I love this blender I have had problems with the clutch coming loose. Instead of purchasing just the jar (at $60 a pop) I decided to just get a new one for a few dollars more. This time I got it in black. After a couple of months the clutch part that makes the contents spin came loose. Kitchenaid sent me a new one but this one lasted just under a year. TOO bad because I really liked this blender. I think I am going to switch to Cuisinart for a longer lasting experience. I can't be replacing the jar every few months.

3.0 out of 5 stars Customer Sevice Isn't, June 13, 2008
3.0 out of 5 stars No stars for customer service, June 13, 2008
By E. Burian-Mohr "cornerstoregoddess" (Los Angeles, CA USA) - See all my reviews
I bought a KitchenAid blender because I wanted something that would last a good long time. It roared like a chainsaw when I used it and always smelled like something was burning. It lasted 346 days. Then the light panel would start to flash like something out of a sci-fi movie, and it would do nothing. No blending, no pureeing, no nothing.

I contacted KitchenAid customer service, supplying the model and serial number, and asked if it was covered by their warranty. They responded within three days, expressing concern at my problem and asking for a copy of the receipt. I scanned it and e-mailed it back to them immediately. And I heard nothing.

After a week of nothing, I emailed again, restating everything and asking if it was repairable or if I should put it out on the curb.

No response.

I waited a week and emailed again. No response.

I waited another week and e-mailed a final time, restating the problem, pointing out that they had not responded, and letting them know that, if I heard nothing, I would write a review about the non-responsiveness of their customer service.

Heard nothing. The blender's on the curb. I bought an Oster to replace it. So far so good.

And KitchenAid customer service? Worthless, in my experience.

1.0 out of 5 stars Broke the first time I used it, March 30, 2007
I received this blender last night and it broke this morning when my husband was making a smoothie--the first time we used it! The plastic "cog" on the bottom of the pitcher that fits into the base shredded when we turned on the blender.

KitchenAid 5-Speed Blenders with Polycarbonate Jars, White
$129.99 $112.40
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.