4.0 out of 5 stars good product
I got this for my birthday and I would recommend it, even though it is plastic it is still a good product.

If you are looking over reviews and cant really find any good use for it other than the obvious, here is some good ones I found online.....

Published 20 months ago by tyler mistretta

2.0 out of 5 stars KA Classic Mandoline
Have many Kitchenaid products that work well, but this isn't up to standard. Didn't purchase the mandoline online; bought it at a big box store for around 40 bucks.

Published 14 months ago by Plain Jaine

4.0 out of 5 stars good product, April 4, 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)

1.Onion rings. How many times do you need thin slices of onion? Hamburgers, deli sandwiches, onion soup, batter-dipped onion rings, onions for salad. Onions are so much easier to slice using a mandolin.

2.Tomato slices. Whether you're using the tomatoes to top a burger or sandwich, toss into a salad, layer in lasagna, or top a margherita pizza, a mandoline will give you perfectly even slices.

3.Vegetable slices. Whether you want to thin slices of zucchini or eggplant for vegetable lasagna, slices of cucumber for vegetarian sandwiches, or slices of radish or red pepper for a salad, a mandoline is the best way to get them evenly thin.

4.Fruit slices. As with the veggies above, if you want thin slices of apples or pears for sandwiches or even just for something different in fruit salad, a mandoline is the way to go.

5.Carrot slices. I hate to slice carrots without a mandoline. Even though my knives are very sharp, it's tough to slice through the whole carrot and even tougher to get the slices even. A mandoline makes quick work of carrots whether you want to cut them into rounds, ovals, or long, thin slices.

6.Shred cabbage. Shredded cabbage is perfect for homemade sauerkraut or coleslaw. Shredded lettuce is essential for tacos.

7.Grated vegetables. Our mandoline has a grating blade, and we use it for grating carrots for carrot pancakes, cucumbers for tzatziki sauce, and zucchini for zucchini bake.

8.Potato chips. You need the thinnest slices of potato for chips, and a mandoline is perfect. You can use beets, sweet potatoes, even turnips in basically the same way.

9.Citrus garnish. If you need perfect slices of orange, lemon, or lime to put in a pitcher of water or on top of a cake, the mandoline is the best way to cut them. I had water with thin slices of cucumber in a spa this past spring, and that was divine, too.

10.Cheese. A mandoline isn't just for fruits and vegetables. You can use it to slice or grate any firm cheese. Incidentally, I've also used mine for chocolate.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it! Would highly recommend!, January 21, 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
I have purchased three mandolins prior to ordering this one. The others I found to be of much lesser quality and much less convenient. This one is wonderful the higher legs makes it much more convenient now I can use my mandolin over a bigger bowl or just over my cutting board without having to move it to make room under it for more to be cut. Another great feature of this is the holder itself. I have had many issues in the past with the holders not having long enough stakes to hold a whole potato or rutabega and this definitetly fits the bill. Although it can make slicing smaller items more difficult it works wonderful for larger items. My one complaint would be the guard. It works just as promised when used with the holder but when I am slicing something like a cucumber that does not work well with the holder I find I have to hold the guard back with one hand while slicing. The ability to adjust the thickness is something I have never been able to find on a mandolin and this one works great and turns easily. The option of sizes is also very good and not limited at all. The case for the spare blades is hard to open and close but this is good if you have children in the house like me. It is all dishwasher safe which is another plus as I do not like to wash such items by hand for fear of cutting myself. Overall I absolutely love this and would highly recommend to anyone that would like to have the convenience of a mandolin with many features. Kitchenaid holds true to their reputation of high quality with this item!

4.0 out of 5 stars Satisfied, August 23, 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
First, let me say that this Mandoline is easy to clean, what a major plus! Easy to use, does not require a degree to operate. Made out of a hard plastic that seems to be holding up well from use, I accidently drop my Mandoline and was afraid that I broke a piece off, but it was still intact. The dial makes it easy to adjust the blade to the thickness that you desire, what can one say, after all it is Kitchenaid. This product receives a thumbs up in our housewhole.

2.0 out of 5 stars KA Classic Mandoline, September 6, 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)

First, the Pros: It cuts beautifully uniform, thin slices and has thick and thin julienne blades as well as a coarse blade. The blades are easy to change out. Cleaning is easy if you place the mandoline in the top rack of your dishwasher. (More on this in the con section) The safety blade guard protects to the degree that you're always aware of it, but if you're not careful, rush, or are as klutzie as I am you can still get a nasty cut. I find the blade guard more of a nuisance than a safety feature, but then I'm rather impatient with gadgets that are supposed to make kitchen work easier and speed things up but don't.

The veggie holder/handle is a good size, grips the veggie well, and protects you against cutting yourself, however, you can only cut the veggie part way, large portions are left over to cut by hand. To speed things along and not recommended, an unsafe practice but an evil I engaged in was that I generally didn't use the holder and just made sure not to cut the veggie too far to the nub. With large veggies the holder is not that much of a problem, but with small veggies like radishes the holder is useless. You wind up having to do most of it by hand.

The Cons: It takes up a lot of cabinet space even when folded, plus there's the blade storage container. This isn't a deal breaker, BUT except for the steel blades the rest of the mandoline is plastic. It's a very sturdy, thick plastic but plastic nonetheless, and therein lies the problem--it warps. The cleaning instructions say it is dishwasher safe. Not. It takes up half the top rack of my large capacity dishwasher.

Wash it by hand, hmmm, wish I had! The many hollows and crevices on the underside of the mandoline are tricky to clean. Don't see the need or purpose of all the crevices; seems like poor design, but then I'm not an engineer. I used the mandoline frequently so it went into the dishwasher frequently until one day I could no longer fit the top of the board onto the mandoline base. I tried the other blades with no success. The plastic is too stiff and brittle to try pulling apart. The mandoline is ruined. Don't wash it in the dishwasher; the hot water will warp the plastic out of shape.
However, it was a good slicing and cutting tool while it lasted.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first mandolin, October 6, 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
I have never used a mandolin before and wasn't sure if I really needed another toy in my kitchen. But, I have used it at least 6 times in the month that I have had it. It saves a lot of time when I slice eggplant and zukes for casseroles, and I even used it to do sweet corn last week. Folds up nice and flat to take up less space and cleans up easily. Makes nice fries too!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good sharp slicer, May 2, 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
The size is very large it slices well but I found the handle that holds the veggie difficult to keep on the track.

5.0 out of 5 stars Be a Pro!, February 11, 2013
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
Awesome product. Makes me chop veggies and fruit like a pro. Quick, easy, simple assembly and cleaning. Light weight. No complaints!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars PERFECT, November 17, 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
This is the slicer I have wanted for years ADJUSTABLE. And easy to use. SO MUCH EASIER TO MAKE SWEET POTATO FRIES.

1.0 out of 5 stars Might be better for veggies but definitely not sweet potatoes..., January 28, 2014
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
I received this item from my husband for Christmas and as soon as we opened it he said "whoa, this is a LOT of plastic" I noticed the same but figured it would be okay for the few instances I was planning to use it.
So tonight we both get this bright idea that we would have sweet potato fries with dinner. After 30 minutes of cursing, yelling and chopping the potatoes down to near french fry size [defeating the purpose of even using a mandoline] to try to get them to go through this thing, I'm left with the huge mess that I could have avoided by just using my Wusthof chef's knife and 3 minutes of my time. By the 3rd potato I was completely out of patience and I was trying to glide it through when the clear plastic blade guard flew across the room. At this point I'd had enough of this plastic monstrosity and couldn't look at it any longer, so I threw it outside into the snow.
As an accomplished home chef, I have many Kitchenaid products and love love LOVE those and this one is the first to let me down. My old cheap mandoline can cut circles around this thing and I'm thankful that I didn't throw it away.
Moral of the story: should have listened to the husband.

3.0 out of 5 stars It's fine, but I can't get away from imagining I could have done better., July 7, 2013
Greg M. (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red (Kitchen)
On the surface, this is a fine mandoline. It slices nicely -- contrary to some other reviewers I haven't had a problem with blade sharpness. It has all the right adjustments -- width of cut and two different julienne options. It's a pretty large machine but breaks down reasonably well. It cleans, OK. It's make of a durable plastic and I haven't had any issues with durability or even looks despite hauling it in and out of the counters every time I use it.

But I find it hard to believe there's not better out there. For one thing, the little guard was all but useless to me. It's near impossible to grip the food sufficiently with the little tines. For another, while I said it breaks down reasonably well, I think it could be designed to do better. While it was sharp, I fantasize that there are sharper ones out there.

This isn't a *bad* product by any means. I'm not going to replace it, though I might be tempted if I needed it a lot more often. But it's just not as satisfying as I thought it would be and I think there must be better out there.

KitchenAid Classic Mandoline Slicer, Red