Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KitchenAid FVSP Fruit and Vegetable Strainer Parts for Food Grinder
Your Garage Amazon Fashion Best Books of the Month Learn more Discover it Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

Color: White|Change

on January 10, 2013
It was a strain getting fruit (apples and carrots) into this thing. You have to cut things into tiny pieces, and then jam them down in. For some idiotic reason, they've built it with a spring, so the auger is FORWARD from the chute until enough fruit/veggies pack the auger/strainer mechanism that it pushes back against the spring and comes into a reasonable position.

Further issues: The last fruit you put in doesn't really get worked efficiently because it's only being pushed through by the stuff behind it... And since that's the largest part of the auger cone, that means a LOT of what you put in isn't juiced.

Next: apples are turned into apple-sauce, not juice.

More: It takes an eternity to make one glass of "juice/sauce" with this.

The final strain: when you're done, you have a ton of parts to clean, including the strainer which has holes that are clearly too big, allowing tons of large pieces of fruit to get jammed in the grating.

I love kitchen aid, and the grinder is great, but this thing is NOT worth the time and investment.
on October 23, 2010
Had this for a little over 2 months and it's been more than helpful!! Cut down processing time of tomatoes to almost nothing. Just clean, core, give a squeeze to get out the extra juice and maybe chunk so they'll fit into the chute. Done!! Processed over 5 bushels of tomatoes. I've used it for apples, too. I just sliced those and sent them through, seeds and all. Wonderful applesauce. Clean up is pretty easy. A baby bottle brush works great to clean out the inside of the strainer, and make sure you get inside the auger...lots of food likes to get stuck in there. Worth every penny!!
on March 16, 2012
After years of manually trying to peel tomatoes and take out the seeds I finally bought this attachment for my Kitchen Aid...it's outstanding! I can process big bowls of fruit and be finished in no time.
review image review image
on August 11, 2007
I used this product for peaches and apricots. It separated the pulp from the skins quite nicely. I ended up using the pumpkin screen - I had also ordered the set of different size screens - as I had a significant amount of pulp leaking around the narrow end of the output area (apologies for my terminology) with the screen that comes with the machine. Still worked just great, and leakage stopped. I did reprocess the outflow and got a little more pulp - the reprocessed waste was completely dry. I processed 8 flats of peaches and 4 of apricots in an hour, including screen changes, and this was my first time using the machine. I was absolutely delighted. I'm looking forward to using the berry screen and also to making tomato sauce. Fabulous product!
on October 31, 2011
The first time I made spaghetti sauce was 5 years ago...I used a foodmill, stood in front of the stove stirring. I thought I would never do that again. However, this year, foreseeing the tons of tomatoes coming out of my garden (had 10 plants), I made sure I equipped myself with this vege/fruit strainer attachment and an automatic stirrer Ardente Gourmet Stirrer (Black 13.5"H x 9"W x 6"D). Well, making tomato sauce and spaghetti sauce was a breeze this time! I would think that these complete my must-haves for canning (I also got myself a pressure canner this year, whereas I only used the BWB canner prior).

I love my kitchen toys!
review image
on November 30, 2012
I have only used this for Romas (two bushels) so far. It is much better than the old fashioned hand crank food mill. I do not finish with sore hands and arms or the acid hands. It worked well enough though it does make the KitchenAid unstable. I do take the tomato waste that runs out the front end and run it through a second time.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 24, 2012
Having recently purchased the KitchenAid KP26M1PSL Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Silver for my fiance for Christmas, I ended up getting this attachment as one of her birthday presents in January because as good as a KitchenAid mixer is by itself you can only really mix/beat with it. To fully take advantage of it, like shred/chop/grind, make your own pasta/ice cream... you need accessories!

I didn't buy the FVSP by itself, but rather I got it in a bundle with the KitchenAid FPPA Mixer Attachment Pack for Stand Mixers attachment pack. If you're looking to buy this attachment, look into the FPPA as it is an excellent value. The MSRP on the FFPA attachment pack retails for $179.99 but on Amazon.com, the current price is $113.75. With the bundle, you get:
- FGA KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers (MSRP $64.99, Amazon $40.49)
- FVSP KitchenAid FVSP Fruit and Vegetable Strainer Parts for Food Grinder (MSRP $64.99, Amazon $41.85)
- RVSA KitchenAid RVSA Slicer/Shredder Attachment for Stand Mixers (MSRP $64.99, Amazon $45.16)
If you add all that up, buying it separately at MSRP would make it come to $194.97 ($14.98 more expensive) and using Amazon's prices, it comes out to $127.50 ($52.49 savings!)

As for actual review of the product, FIRST AND FOREMOST DO NOT confuse this with the (FVSFGA) - Fruit & Vegetable Strainer & Grinder (MSRP $119.99, Amazon Price $99.99) KitchenAid FVSFGA Fruit/Vegetable Strainer and Food Grinder for Stand Mixers. They are essentially the same BUT the FVSP are the pieces that you attach to the FGA to strain your fruits & vegetables. If you do not have the FGA, then you CANNOT use the FVSP. You will need to buy the FVSFGA which is a combo pack of the grinder & strainer in one box. I think the KitchenAid model numbers have a terrible numbering/lettering scheme and this makes it so much more confusing...

Personally I've only used this attachment once as a test to make applesauce. Apples were 79 cents a pound at my local grocer, so I thought why not test it out. Making the applesauce was a cinch. I was actually surprised at how quickly this thing ran through the 4 apples that I bought. Quarter the apples, slightly cook them, dump them into the strainer and the juice comes out one end and the remains come out in the back. It is somewhat messy, but it does the job. I heard you can make your own tomato sauce, which I haven't done yet... but I love Italian food and that will be my next project.
on November 2, 2008
I live in Southern New Hampshire, surrounded by apple orchards. Every fall my family makes a project out of canning homemade applesauce. We buy "B-grade" apples at the orchards for very little money. The result is a product of stunning quality and flavor that simply cannot be purchased commercially at any price. It is also less expensive than commercial applesauce, so we have a win-win. We usually process 3-5 bushels of apples. If you aren't familiar with these quantities, it's a LOT of apples. The KitchenAid FVSP Fruit and Vegetable Strainer takes the labor and time out of what would otherwise be a rather tiresome job. We first core and roughly slice the apples (no need to remove skins) and cook them until they are soft in a about an inch of water. We then process the cooked apples through the strainer and voila, the skins pop out the side and applesauce drains out the bottom. It could not be easier. Note this strainer is an attachment to the KitchenAid food grinder. You must have the strainer, food grinder and a KitchenAid mixer in order to have a functional strainer appliance. This strainer is the only way to go when making large quantities of applesauce. I'm sure it will also find other uses in our kitchen, too.
on September 7, 2008
Have used only once so far. Prepared sweet potatos and apples. A dream for apples. Not so for sweet potatoes, had to pass through the sweet potatoes several times and clear the gunk twice to get just three potatoes to pass through. So this is not the end all be all for straining, however if you are an apple sauce fan... or other similar fruits...it's a dream. Lots of parts to assemble/dissemble and clean. Also instructions advise cooking foods before straining, so this is a multi-step process. Parts are sturdy, expect it to last a long time. Most certainly is far better than pushing foods through strainer by hand! Really need blender for some foods and this strainer for others to have complete coverage of baby food straining capabilities. Note: this item requires the food grinder to complete the parts needed to function.
on September 24, 2008
The Fruit and Vegetable strainer is really easy to attach to the food grinder accessory and very easy to clean. I was impressed with how effective it was and how it still left some of the pulp in the juice, just the way I wanted it. I put the "waste" through a second time and got an additional amount of juice from it. It's definitely a must-have for anyone who does canning. The only negative was that it forced me to do a lot of work at shoulder level or higher, so next time I am going to have to find a lower surface, cause it wore me out!