5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent processor for the money
Boy, am I glad I bought this processor. It is well designed and well made. You definitely get what you pay for.

The base unit is big (10" x 8" x 6" high) and heavy. But it is amazingly quiet. It has large rubber feet which prevent the unit from moving or vibrating on the counter. The motor has enough torque to mix or rip through anything dropped in it...
Published on March 4, 2006 by cjenkins

2.0 out of 5 stars Had for a year now - replacing!
Great quality product, but has a major design flaw also mentioned by previous reviewers. It is bothering me so much that I am going to get another make of processor.
Published on April 7, 2009 by NinaRina

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent processor for the money, March 4, 2006
This review is from: KitchenAid KFP740CR 9-Cup Food Processor with 4-Cup Mini Bowl, Chrome (Kitchen)

The work bowl is wider than the previous 9 cup model (7") which makes it very easy to work inside and remove the contents. Another nice touch is the bowl cover which fits over both the inside and outside rim of the work bowl to prevent spillage. The large food pusher is also a measuring cup. Many of the 12 cup accessories fit this processor, too.

The mini bowl accessory is useful because it easily drops into the large work bowl and then quickly chops small amounts of ingredients. The processor comes with the mini bowl & blade, dough blade, 2 mm slicing disk, 4 mm shredding disk and spatula. The booklet has 18 pages of well illustrated instructions (all English) and another 22 pages of recipes.

Final note: This item is securely packed in styrofoam. In addition, KitchenAid encloses the box inside a slightly larger shipping carton. This prevents the product and its box from being damaged during shipment from Amazon's warehouse - another nice touch.

2.0 out of 5 stars Had for a year now - replacing!, April 7, 2009
When the blade and bowl are assembled, the inside lip (under the blade cover) is not high enough. Therefore everything you process (even small amounts) is squeezed up and under the lip and under the blade threads by the centrifugal force.
This needs intensive cleaning as I have discovered - I use mine for many things but mainly meat for meatballs - and cleaning out the raw meat to prevent future contamination is a nightmare. I have to use a toothpick. If you leave it it will rot and be a safety concern, as it will mix in whatever you process next. As I don't wish to spend such time cleaning due to a design flaw, or worse, causing food poisoning to friends and family - I am going to order a new processor. This should be top spec - love how it runs, but is a liability.

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, huge time saver and fun to use, only paid $110.oo, March 19, 2006
Had mine for a week. Already made salsa twice, tabulee, apple crisp. Saves tons of time. Looks great on the counter so it's convenient to use. The 2 MM slicing disk is very thin. eg think fingernail thin. But the apple crisp tasted good that way actually. Parsly for tabulee works great if you shove/pack it in the food chute and put in the slicing blade. It chops it actually in just the right sizes. When I used the chopping/all purpose blade this didn't work without making it more of a green goo. The slicing blade is great for parsley. I used the allpurpose/choping blade for the tomatoes and onions and works great. The 4 cup work bowl is very convenient and the 9 cup bowl stays clean. minibowl can't use the slicing/shredding discs. This machine is quiet, quality, top notch at whatever it does. Read directions carefully. It's not a blender, eg. if very thin batter, only fill 1/3 to 1/2, if liquid only fill to line which is probably only a cup or less, if thicker batter, can fill 2/3 full, if solid foods, can be filled. This is probably the case for all brands. I love it and will use it weekly if not more often. I plan to order the 4 or 6 MM slicer disc from Kitchenaid. Got mine for $110 including tax at Bed Bath and beyond. They matched Amazon's $129 price when I printed it out and brought it in and then I used my 20% off coupon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent unit, great price, October 8, 2006
After reading Amazon reviews (and other online reviews) I selected this unit. I work in a small professional kitchen and needed a good quality processor without the upper price tag that a Cuisinart/Robot Coupe would have.
The first impression of the machine was good-very heavy base motor and the bowl and accessories had the same heavy/durable feel that most of the Cuisinarts/Robot Coupes have. Within the time I've had it, I have grated hard and soft cheeses, made fish mousses, chopped chocolate, ground nuts, and pureed vegetables (among other tasks). The motor is well up to the tasks at hand and doesn't appear to slow at all under load and gives every indication of being durable.
After a discount of $25 I paid $123 for this unit and it is well worth it. I believe that this unit would be a great addition to any kitchen without spending a lot of money.
It also is easy to clean; and looks nice sitting on the counter, if that's of any value to you.

Edited 3 years later (8/09):
3 years of hard use and still going strong. I should add that I clean the blade/attachments by hand to help keep them sharp; but I put the bowl/lid through the dish machine (not absolutely necessary, but I treat them as I do my knives-and you should never put a knife through a dish machine). Someone told me a year ago this is the unit Alton Brown uses and recommends on his Food Network Show Good Eats, if that is of any value to you as a recommendation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Chrome is Beautious!, March 10, 2006
Well, I went from a piece of junk Black and Decker, whose bowl broke the second week I received it, to this wonderful quiet piece of loveliness. I got it on sale at amazon, only paid $104 and no shipping. You can't beat that. I found that the 7 cup was too small for making big batches of hummus and babaghanoosh, and the 12 cup was just too big, so the 9 cup fell right smack in the middle. Just by picking this machine up you can tell it is good quality, it weighs 21 lbs.

The first thing I did in it was shred cheese. My boyfriend who was in the other room was like you are using it, I can't even hear it. The motor is so strong and fast, it is very quiet and acts like it can stand up to any test you put it through. I can't wait to grate hard parmesean cheese for pesto in it, and the key hummus. My old food processor made chunky hummus, and not on purpose. I highly recommend it! Very easy to clean, and the four cup that comes with it, is great for small chopping jobs!

****Update 2010. The handle on my bowl came apart, and as a result, I wasn't able to use the food processor because apparently you need the handle for the unit to work. So, I had to purchase another bowl, which cost me $40. They didn't have a black replacement bowl, so now my chrome/black and now white/chrome, which I don't like as much. I had originally thrown out my lid until I read that I would have to pay and additional $40 for that replacement too because it isn't a set! I quickly retrieved it from the garbage. I received my new bowl recently, and I guess time will tell if this one lasts as well. I will not put it in the dishwasher again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine at an affordable price, March 8, 2007
I couldn't believe the price when i bought my food processor. I got it in a few days with free shipping, and I used it the following day for a dinner party. I works wonders, and it can do almost anything quickly at a touch of a button. Very easy to use, perfect size, and comes with all the parts that you need to whip up dough for tarts, shredding and slicing vegetables, making dips, etc..

If you're someone who doesn't cook to often for more than 6 people, don't spend your money on the bigger 12 cup. The 9 cup works just as great and the perfect size. You will really love this, and you will rely on it for preparing the most difficult task done by hand.

5.0 out of 5 stars It did the trick, March 11, 2006
Carla (Louisiana, USA) - See all my reviews
We've had a Braun variable speed processor for 7 years and didn't think that we could do without a variable speed processor. We were wrong. The Kitchenaid base is heavy and stable while still conserving counter space. The 4-cup mini bowl is perfect for so many jobs, like sauces and dressings, that just don't need the large bowl. The motor is rather quiet in comparison to other processors we've used. The chrome is clean looking and complimentary to our decor. Clean up is easy in that we've used the mini bowl and the design kept the large bowl perfectly clean. We've orderd the blade box but have not received it yet. We've added Kitchenaid to our list of brands that we trust.

4.0 out of 5 stars I hate to cook, but..., September 9, 2007
V. Orcutt (Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
this food processor definitely makes it less tedious for me.

Stir fry, for example - chopping vegies and meat by hand would take 20 minutes or more. The other day I chopped up a ton of meat and vegies in literally seconds. Others have stated that it's quiet, and it is...although the day I chopped chicken gizzards "en masse" to freeze up for my dogs' dinners, it did manage to whirl itself completely around on my countertop...but perhaps that was because I was so entranced by the whole chopping process I dropped too many gizzards into the feeder tube and may have overloaded the large bowl.

I did find that the 2mm slicing disc that comes with the machine cuts the veggies so thin that they nearly disappeared when I stir fried them, so I bought a 6mm slicing disc, and it sliced vegies and chicken tenders into pieces that cooked well and didn't disappear. So I would say that the 2mm disc is probably best for vegies that are meant to be eaten raw, say in potato salad or something.

The clear plastic bowls and cover look delicate, but they're really quite hefty, all things considered. No problems locking or unlocking them.

The only thing I would change on this machine would be to make the part in the middle of the large bowl (that goes over the turning stem) a little taller so when the large bowl is removed from the base, it's not necessary to hold the chopping blade from the underside to prevent stuff from falling through the hole.

The parts and pieces are easy to clean, and, like someone else said, caution is needed because the blades are very sharp.

No complicated controls to figure out...On, Off, Pulse. That's it.

Because it's larger and heavier than, say, a toaster, it has a permanent home on my counter, and I bought a cloth cover to protect it.

Haven't gotten around to using the dough blade or julienne blade yet, but I imagine I'll be just as happy with their performances as I am with the chopping and regular slicing blades.

Gave my old Osterizer blender to my stepdaughter, and I'm not sorry...hee hee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent food processor, powerful and quiet., December 7, 2006
I've had this food processor for about 6 months, I bought it based on the good reviews here.

It has lived up to it's excellent reviews. It's very powerful and surprisingly quiet. I particularly appreciate the fact that it's dishwasher safe. I've had it on the bottom rack of the dishwasher at the highest heat settings and it comes out sparkling clean with not a hint of wear or damage.

I've had far more expensive food processors in the past that didn't perform anywhere near as well as the Kitchenaid.

5.0 out of 5 stars My new best friend, January 11, 2007
Iptacita (Austin, Texas) - See all my reviews
I researched quite a bit before I made the plunge to buy this. Its wonderful and exceeded all expectations. Its strong, very quiet, easy to clean, easy to use and it looks nice on the counter. I was surprised that the chrome base is really chrome painted plastic, so that disappointed me a bit, but its really nice anyway. It's still the best food processor I've ever used and am happy to have it.

Rate and Discover Movies