5.0 out of 5 stars The GrandDaddy of Hand Blenders!
Published on June 25, 2004 by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Great blender but DO NOT USE WITH ICE OR FROZEN FRUIT!
Published on November 13, 2009 by Chilehead Craig

5.0 out of 5 stars The GrandDaddy of Hand Blenders!, June 25, 2004
Amazon Customer (Birmingham, AL USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
June 25, 2004: I have had a Braun handblender for many years (10 years?), and was pleased with its performance, until it finally lost its spunk last week. I bought this product yesterday as a replacement, and I must say I am very pleasantly surprised! This was a HUGE step up! I would even say that this is a professional quality gadget! (It is certainly styled to look the part!)

My favorite thing to make with my handblender is hummus - a mediterranean chick pea dip - and last night I made some the smooooothest hummus I ever made! This is in part because of the 9 speeds available on this model. I started out with lower speeds and then worked my way up to the top one. This is a large handblender, but it was comfortable and easy to use - lightweight even, and sure has a LOT of power. As with most of these products, it was a little difficult to clean the blades, but not a problem. (Really, the best way to clean it is to "blend" a cup of soapy water!)

There other models of this that come with attachments - that might be nice in the future, if I want to whip or chop using the attachments - but this basic model with the blender and the cup are all I need for most anything, and worth the price tag for the POWER you get from this brand! It's true what they say - KitchenAid ROCKS!

UPDATE: yikes! I was blending bread into breadcrumbs (not toasted, silly me) and it got doughy and really thick and blew the fuse. If anyone knows how to fix that, please comment. I stand by my earlier glowing review - this incident was my fault!

5.0 out of 5 stars Quite useful, seems well made, December 21, 2006
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
For those of you have have never had one, these immersion blenders are quite handy. They are easy to clean, and convenient to use. They also don't take up much space; I keep my KitchenAid unit on the counter, and store the beaker in the cupboard where I keep glasses, with the blender attachment inside. It's no fuss at all if you want to mix just a single drink. While a traditional blender is more versatile, if I had a choice of only one I'd go with the hand blender as being the most useful on a day to day basis.

This is the second immersion blender I have owned. I like this one quite a bit; it is powerful, but quiet. I'm not sure whether having 9 speeds is so important, I find I either use speed setting 1 or 9. Maybe they should make custom units that go all the way to 11. ;-)

One concern with a device like this is marrying a powerful motor to a removeable attachment. My first device (an Oster) chewed itself to bits, leaving metal shavings in my food (good thing I checked). The KitchenAid unit's attachment has a good positive lock design which makes this improbable. A safety interock would have been better. The metal shaft of the blending attachment is driven by a hard plastic socket with slim splines. This means in the unlikely event of anything ending up in your food, you'll have tiny bits of fractured plastic, not desirable of course, but preferable to long, razor sharp metal shavings. The socket looks like it could be replaced if necessary, but given the price most people would opt for replacing the entire unit over having it serviced.

One thing would be nice is if the guard around the actual blades was plastic instead of metal. Then it could be used directly inside nonstick saucepans for pureeing soup.

Conclusion: a safety interlock and plastic blender shield would improve this product, but overall it is well made, quiet and safe. Few things are made to last these days, but given how useful this device is, its a safe bet you will get your money's worth.

3.0 out of 5 stars Great blender but DO NOT USE WITH ICE OR FROZEN FRUIT!, November 13, 2009
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
This has been a great blender up until earlier this week. You can read all the great positive reviews here on Amazon to get a feel for the versatility of this blender. My purpose for writing this review is to warn others not to use this with ice or frozen fruits. I'd say that my blender is about a few years old and about a year ago I began making protein shakes for breakfast, sometimes using ice or frozen strawberries & bananas. I'd say I made 3-4 a week. The other day when cleaning out my sports bottle, I found one of the BLADES at the bottom. It broke clean off! (I uploaded a picture) I can't imagine the pain I would have been in if I actually drank that thing. If this hadn't happened, I'd just be as happy as a clam like everyone else with this thing. I recommend that if you get it, only use it for "soft" blending. NO ICE OR FROZEN FRUIT! If you treat it gently, I'm sure it will last you quite a bit longer than mine did. Maybe it was my fault for assuming that I could use it this way. I did look back in the manual and the only indication given that it can't handle this is where they give some recipes and then say "frozen xyz fruit, partially thawed" by one of the ingredients. Buyer beware!

UPDATE: I emailed customer service and they offered to replace it even though its out of warranty. Nice! I will give them credit for standing behind their product when they technically didn't have to. Just FYI for all those thinking about purchasing this, read the representatives response below and keep it in mind when you are thinking of ways you will use this. I was anticipating the response about the fruit, but that still doesn't explain why their Mocha Frappé recipe calls for 1 - 1 1/2 cups of ice.

Rep's response: "For future reference, we do not recommend any ice be processed with the immersion blender. Although it is not expressly stated in the manual, the two smoothie recipes included recommend to use only thawed, canned, or fresh fruit, not frozen."

1.0 out of 5 stars What a shame!!, November 22, 2010
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
I have just used my KitcheAid hand blender for the second time to blend some soup having purchased it a couple of weeks ago. Whilst eating it, I realized there were some odd pieces floating in it! I picked them out thinking that, somehow, they were from a can of tomatoes I'd used. I looked at the pieces more closely and determined that they looked like pieces of plastic. Afterwards, whilst I was cleaning the hand blender, I noticed that there was a plastic disc above the cutting blades, which had pieces missing from it! When I examined the blender more closely, each time I pushed the plastic disc up, it just kept falling down on the blade area each time. I'm pretty disappointed with this product. No way should this have happened. What if someone had used it to blend a meal for a young child or baby and not noticed that pieces had broken off the disc - one or two of them were quite large and could easily cause a child to choke. The first time I used it, I thought it did a great job of blending but after this experience I can't give the product a rating as it is clearly badly designed. I am returning it for a full refund.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cumbersome in the kitchen., January 29, 2006
M. Rumph (Isle of Palms, SC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
Pros: This stick blender is mighty and powerful.

It's stainless steel base and shaft make it easy to clean; and it doesn't stain like the white plastic ones.

Cons: For normal kitchen use I found it awkward and heavy.

Nearly 17" tall (with the switch at the tallest point) and weighing nearly 2 pounds, it is cumbersome. Considering that most countertops are 36" tall, it is 53" high when operating. That's shoulder height or higher on most woman.

The power switch requires continual pressure to operate it, which adds more stress to the already too high, heavy device. It's more comfortable if you put your mixing bowl (or included plastic container) down in the sink. This lowers the device considerably and makes it much easier to operate.

If you plan to keep it on your counterop (as I do) be prepared for it to fall over often, as it is very top heavy. I screwed a metal cup holder into the underside of my cabinet to "hang" its cord and keep it from crashing into every other appliance I have there. If it had come with a stand or wall-mounted holder, I would have rated it a 4. If you plan to keep it in a drawer, you will have no problem.

Overall, it's a nice gadget, and certainly easier than cleaning a blender.

Mahlon Rumph, SC

5.0 out of 5 stars The Handblender to End all Handblenders, August 15, 2004
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
You really can't go wrong with KitchenAid. Form and Function must be their mantra. I use this for sorbet, soups and other instances where a food processor is inconvenient. In fact, I've put my black and decker blender into storage - with the handblender who needs it. You have the very convenient control of the angle. Gone are the days of stick a knife in the blender to get everything blended.

The speed control is perfect and the blender is precise enough that you can partially blend items easily. Clean up is a snap and the lower half separates from the motor half. Like my KitchenAid mixer, I get the feeling that I'm going to have this tool for life.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worked well, broke quickly -- twice, September 25, 2010
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
I've bought two of these. Both wore out fast despite light use. The same part failed both times - the plastic socket that connects the blade to the motor. The plastic used isn't strong enough; the socket gets stripped so that the motor spins without turning the blade. Maybe it deserved two stars instead of one, because until it breaks, it's good -- easy to clean and effective. If KitchenAid had cared enough to answer my e-mail about it, I'd have bumped it up a notch.

3.0 out of 5 stars Diff between this & the 300 model w/attachments Turn it off & let it cool down when it gets HOT or you will be buying a new one!, May 22, 2010
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
I have had this for about a month now, I had read the reviews where people have had the fuse blow when whirring up thick items before I purchased this but I reasoned that I wouldn't have that problem being forewarned.
So When I was blending up a pot of black bean soup which was only a bit thick, I was surprised when the blender was getting VERY hot in my hand! I let it cool down & didn't use it any more that day & since then it has worked fine. But was concerned that what I didn't deem as "THICK" would cause such a close call.

So be forewarned, this works great but has to be monitored as you use it (by how HOT the handle is getting) as to whether or not it is approaching it's limits before blowing the fuse & becoming a relic!
So BE CAREFUL!!
BTW before I bought this I was toying with buying the $69.00 "300" model of this with the attachments & I called kitchen-aide to see if the "300" in the model number signified more power, higher watts etc.........
They said that the difference was only in the additional attachments, the blender itself was EXACTLY the same. I think the additional $40.00 for the few attachments is waaaaayyyy over priced, so IF you were wonderingthe difference between the 2 models here is the info you need to see which one YOU would prefer, for me it was to go with this one.
Good Luck & happy whirring!

5.0 out of 5 stars POWERFUL !!!, June 16, 2005
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
Like the previous reviewer, I owned a Braun for over 20 yrs. The Braun still works beautifully but I thought I'd like one stronger. I love the KitchenAid quality so I picked KitchenAid. I bought the cobalt blue for $20 including the rebate, so it's a steal. When it arrived, I made some salsa. Thinking it would chop like my Braun, I turned it to speed 9. 5 seconds later, everything was liquidfied. Including the onions! Learned my lesson. Don't make salsa on speed 9. Other than my own fault for underestimating this tool, it's GREAT!! Especially for making smoothie and whipping cream. (I bought the whisk attachement) A definite must tool in the kitchen. I just wish Amazon had the black one on sale when I purchased the blue.

One thing I'd like to add is, KitchenAid customer service is excellent. They didn't make me pay for shipping a defective stand mixer back to them. In addition, since they were out of the model I had, they upgraded my 5 qt mixer to a 6 qt professional. That was a 150$ upgrade. I just called them on a stand blender I bought, and they were willing to send out a replacing immediately before retreiving the other one, once again, shipping label would be included. However, after toying with the blender, turned out it was my fault. The stand blender was perfectly fine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet, March 21, 2007
This review is from: KitchenAid KHB100OB Hand Blender, Onyx Black (Kitchen)
The last time I used a "stick blender" was back in the 80s when the Braun version first hit the consumer market and the infomercials started pitching that "Venturri Ring" garbage on TV. I almost never used my Braun as it was essentially worthless for most tasks, but I've seen so many people recommend similar looking gadgets recently I couldn't resist nabbing this one when it was on sale for $29.

Suffice to say, this thing has a lot more power than the models of 20 years ago, and it's built like a tank to boot. I haven't had a reason to turn it up past 5 on the speed dial so far, as even that is just way too much power for most tasks.

My one gripe is that there's no way to lock the power button down while in use. I understand that this is probably for safety reasons, but it takes quite a bit of force to trip the switch, and my wrist starts getting tired pretty quickly. I can't imagine what anyone with tendonitis or arthritis would go through trying to use this thing. I also have no clue why they bothered throwing in the cheap little plastic cup thing. Anyone who's in the market for an immersion blender probably already has some kind of vessel to do their blending in, but there it is.