Facility Spring Cleaning Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Jayhawks Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th

Color: Onyx Black|Change

on October 15, 2012
I had been looking at immersion blenders for a while, checking prices, reading reviews. I had also had been looking at food processors, because mine hit the wall (figuratively. Literally, it hit the floor) and I rely on it heavily. I decided to get this little beauty because I am easily coerced into buying things based on brand recognition. I had no idea that I was going to kill two birds with one blender (not really "birds." More like one soup, one salsa). It works great. The carrying case makes me feel important when I take it out, and I have the urge to say something like, "step back. I'll handle this."
We have a smoothie blender for smoothies, so I haven't tried it for that, but I've done soups, salad dressings, sauces, chutneys and salsas and it works like a dream. Clean up is easy, it feels sturdy, and it gets the job done.
The cord is slightly annoying, it completely gets in the way of me pretending it's a magic wand, but it isn't, it's a kitchen tool, so I'll just suffer that one out in relative silence.
1818 comments|414 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2012
I bought this a couple months ago and have used it for a number of things, including chopping nuts for fudge. I even used it to chop frozen nuts and it performed quite well.

It has worked great in everything I have used it for; cauliflower mash, fudge, whipped cream, mayonnaise, gravy, liver pate etc.

I have arthritis and my hands are fairly weak but this unit gives me no trouble at all, it's comfortable to hold and operate. The cord is a little stiff but not so bad that it interferes with use. It cleans up easily as well.

The different blade make it a very flexible unit, I have made whipped cream with one blade and then mixed fresh liver and tomato paste with another and both came out great without lumps or unmixed parts.

There is only one problem I have had and that is with the chopping unit, it has a part inside the stem of the blade unit that got stuck up in the center when we first used it and it never came back down, since this worked as a sort of shock absorber the chopper container, lid and blade ground against each other when we used it and caused the plastic to be ground away in places.

But I called KA and they were happy to send me replacements at their cost. I believe since this is a new unit for them there are a few kinks to be worked out but KA is aware of that and will replace my entire unit free of charge and restart my warranty from the date I receive the new unit, can't argue with that.
0Comment|107 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 5, 2013
I had to replace our KitchenAid immersion blender because it burned out while mixing some Almond Butter. This new set seems to be a much cheaper design compared to KitchenAid's their last generation. The wand locks on to the motor in a partial turn instead of a snap on lock like the last design which seems destined to crack one day. The variable speed is a 5 step turn knob instead of continuously variable knob. One real annoyance is that it is more difficult to grip this knob. It's a flat, low profile disk and very smooth finish making it tough to grip while cooking/mixing if you need to change the speed. The switch also feels very cheap and not solid like to tall, round knob from their last design which worked great.

What is new is the 2 additional choices on the mix blades. However, I tried using the batter mix blade head but it did not do a very good job on simple corn bread batter. I needed to move it all around the batter and didn't pull in the dry mix to the wet very well. It was a lot of lifting and re-plunging to get the dry mixed included.

The other annoyance is that the chopper lid/top no longer locks in to the motor housing. It just sits on top which make it easy to lift off the chopper while working. The whole design of this new set seems like a step backwards from the last set I owned from Kitchenaid.

I realize that here are some trade offs in manufacturing to make a product come in a price point / offering more features to outsell the competition. The trade off in this new set seem to be to offer more immersion head choices (that don't seem to work well) while compromising the quality of the overall product. What I'd prefer is a good, well made immersion blender with a good wisk and chopper.
55 comments|163 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 4, 2012
I purchased this after reading the reviews, which -- like most reviews -- are mixed. Maybe some people received defective blenders, maybe some people don't like to read directions and don't umderstand how to use the blender properly, but I have to agree with the majority of reviewers: this is a well made, well designed, multipurpose tool.

I use it daily to make smoothies, incorporating partly frozen bananas, and it does a much better job than the noisy, hard to clean Cuisinart stand blender I had been using. That blender always left chunks of banana in the drink, no matter what I tried. And the rest of the "smoothie" was nothing like the creamy result I get with the KitchenAid (that said, I had to experiment to find the best and easiest way to add and process the ingredients, which was to add the semi-frozen banana pieces on top of the other ingredients).

I also tried out the chopper attachment to chop a dozen garlic cloves (not enough for our medium and large size food processors), and to my surprise it did a great job, chopping them evenly and slowly enough so I could easily control the size of the chunks (something harder to do with a food processor).

This would be a good wedding gift, or a good purchase for anyone who doesn't have a full range of kitchen gadgetry. We do, but I still think I'll be going to this first for many small-scale kitchen chores.

NINE MONTHS LATER: I've been using this blender every day now for the past nine months, and appreciate it more each time I use it. It does a great job, is quiet and very easy to clean compared to table-top blenders, and stores easily in a drawer so it doesn't take up counter space. I have no use for any of the attachments except, occasionally, the chopper, since the standard blade works well for most uses. The markings on the blender that show where to line it up when reassembling after cleaning are too faint for some users, apparently, as are the speed markings. It seems to be a case of cosmetic design getting in the way of practical use (of course, most products sell because of their looks, and you only find out later if they work well), but once you know what to look for it shouldn't be a problem.
0Comment|114 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2011
I recently received this as a gift and it is amazing! I haven't used an immersion blender much in my cooking life but given that this one has so many uses and utensils, I will be able to use it for many purposes. I have already used the chopper and immersion blender attachments for various tasks. They worked perfectly. I also love that it has a tool box to hold all of the components. I don't have to worry about parts getting lost or forgotten in the cupboard. I highly recommend this small appliance.
33 comments|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 15, 2014
The chopper, the main reason I bought this product, worked one time. I contacted KitchenAid immediately and offered to send it back. They said that it wasn't necessary and that they would send a replacement. Three months and two more calls later, I was told that the chopper is still on backorder and it will be six more weeks. I requested a refund and asked for a return authorization so that I could purchase something that I can use and was quoted the 30 day return policy. This will be the last KitchenAid product I purchase. I am amused that they call their customer service department their customer satisfaction department. They should be ashamed.
on April 16, 2012
I am so disappointed with the quality of this hand blender. My husband bought this last month and I've used it only a handful of times (made soup, hummus, and salsa).

I hand-washed everything after each use and even though the things I blended were all soft, the collar right above the blade is cracked in 3 places!

I'm not sure what caused the cracking but this is getting returned immediately.
review image review image
99 comments|119 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 26, 2013
I ordered this item last August and after 3 weeks of very light use, the collar of one attachment cracked in 4 places like the other persons who gave it 1 star. I had read the reviews but since there were so many 5 stars, I ordered it anyway. But I've been unlucky and I'm kind of glad it happened because I returned this item and ask for refund and bought instead a Cuisinart hanf blender for $40 and a Cuisinart hand mixer for $60. I spent the same amount of money and I got 2 small appliances which work perfectly. It is the first time I use a hand mixer and it's so good. It does a better job than the Kitchenaid immersion blender.
on January 13, 2012
We opted for the more expensive Kitchen Aid blender with attachments and containers - so far it very adequately replaces my 45 year old blender, and newer little food processor, so I can get rid of at least two space-takers. We were very pleased with the cream of broccoli soup and very smoot home-canned tomato/vegetable soup. The winner is smooth and frothy hot cocoa, instead of just an okay hot drink with sediment in the bottom.

The food processor easily chopped a head of red cabbage for Swedish winter salad - I'm very pleased!
on September 11, 2013
This hand blender was a huge disappointment! I expected it to work better than my old inexpensive Braun blender, but no! If you want to make simple smoothies with soft fruit and yogurt it should do fine, but for the price I would certainly expect more. I tried blending a pozole that had some whole pieces of cilantro, which completely clogged up the blade. It appears that the holes at the bottom of the stick trapped the herbs and caused them to wind around the blade. This is just plain a poor design. While I will admit I loved the "suitcase" that came with all of the blade attachments, I had hoped that the hand blender itself would actually work. I returned the Kitchen Aid hand blender and purchased a Breville BSB510XL Control Grip Immersion Blender, which I love! It has none of the design problems of the Kitchen Aid blender.