Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: KitchenAid KHM5APWH 5-Speed Ultra Power Hand Mixer, White
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Eli Paperboy The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on March 28, 2008
Alright, i've had this hand mixer for two days now (did research for 3 weeks). I truly don't understand most of these poor reviews. I have already made a two layer cake with home made frosting using this product. I was able to basically kneed the frosting using the hand mixer with ease. I was probably using it for about 10 minutes and my arm felt fine during and after words. The product is very light weight, yet the motor is plenty efficient. Speed 5 is not very fast, but honestly, i probably wouldn't want it to go any faster. I hear some people having problems with speed 1 being the same as speed 5. Heres the thing, this product is smarter than a 1950's hand mixer. Instead of burning out the motor because your an idiot using speed 5 with cookie dough, it'll self protect and stay lower. The instruction manual clearly states which speed to use with which item you are baking. If you go above that, well then you should expect problems. Heres the difference between this, and my hand mixer from 1978. The 1978 hand mixer smells like burning rubber when on, the beaters are not turbo beaters, so they constantly clog (the turbo beaters are great). The 78 HM also is loud and the handle is extremely poorly placed. The kitchen aid hand mixer is much quieter (while not being silent of course), and the handle is specifically made to ease the stress on your arm and wrist.

Kitchenaid has gotten a few poor reviews on this product, but what you really have to realize, is how many thousands others have the product, use it weekly, and never have a problem. Kitchenaid is still the choice of pros, and 10, 15 years down the road, when you either have kids old enough to use one, or maybe you'll have grand kids, this little pup will still be beating away for you. I hope i was helpful to at least one person, in the long run, i think its the wiser choice.

other notes: If there is any confusion as to if the dough hooks and shake blender are included, yes they are. I havn't yet used them, but if you look them up, each are around 16-20 dollars a piece, and come free with this product. I've also heard the dough hooks are amazing. Baking bread will never be the same.
1616 comments|287 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 9, 2006
bought this for my wife.item comes with dough hooks, whisk, and beaters. we thought it would be great in motor home, but karen uses it for everything. yes, she has a large kitchen aid and huge cusinart, but still uses this mixer. i even made pizza dough with it and motor in mixer just gobbles away without a whimper. nice to hold, long cord, rebate: what else do you need? buy it.
0Comment|103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 30, 2006
i have owned this modle fr a few years and bake frequently. my only complaint with the mixer was the left beater would no longer stay in the mixer--the locking mechanism failed and i could not get that repaired. what a shame to spend $40 plus for a new mixer just because the beater won't stay in......
77 comments|51 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2008
But it's true!

My husband bought me the KitchenAid 5 speed hand mixer for Christmas five years ago. I had wanted and yearned for a KitchenAid stand mixer.

However, the handmixer was all we could afford.

Now? You couldn't GIVE me your stand mixer I love this hand mixer so much.

It beats with ease and speed everything from heavy whipping cream to thick cookie and bread dough. The beaters snap in and out with ease. The cord is long enough for great mobility. And the power on this thing! You can feel it adapting to give more "oomph" when the dough starts to get harder to mix.

I love it and when (IF!) it ever dies, I'll be a KitchenAid hand mixer purchaser again.
on February 20, 2010
This unit was not purchased at Amazon for reason I will explain.
72 Watts: yes this unit only has 72 Watts, and, because of that, it is the quietist, smallest and lightest unit I have come across. Even the $6 Rival 5-speed unit from W-Mart is noisier, larger and heavier than this unit, and, its slowest speed will splatter your walls (125 Watt motor). The HPM5A was designed to fit in the niche between hand stirring and folding, and, a Kitchenaid stand mixer which, in my case, is a Sunbeam Mixmaster. In regard to filling the niche, I would give the mixer 5-stars.
Speed Differences: the difference between the 3-Speed, 5-Speed and 7-Speed, as far as I can tell, is low range. The 7-Speed offers a true low range. The 5-Speed offers a low speed that will eliminate spattering in most situations. Remember, your hand is controlled by your brain, and, can do a far better job at stirring and folding than any low geared machine. In addition, the 3-Speed and 5-Speed have mechanical vs. digital controls. In my experience the speed of a mixer can be adjusted far faster with mechanical rather than digital controls. All the units share the same motor and body.
Whipping: as far as I can tell the high speed of the 3-speed, 5-speed, and 7-speed units are the same. The high speed is adequate for my usage - but I am a vegan and do not cook with dairy or eggs. Those of you that do may find these machines less adequate in whipping than a higher power machine (but then there is the noise, weight and size).
The accessories: the weakness of the unit (all speeds) is the quality of the accessories, and, for this reason I do not recommend an Amazon purchase. It is for this reason I gave the HPM5AP a 4-Star rating. I tried a number of units before I found a unit which had a Blending Rod with would rotate without wobble, and, wire Turbo Blades with acceptable wobble. I didn't care about the Dough Blades. In my opinion, because of the narrow footprint of many glasses, a Blending Rod with minimal wobble is a necessity. I hope Kitchenaid takes note of the accessory problem. China does not wear ear-plugs when it comes to commerce and money. As a comment, I do like the gauge of the wire Turbo Blades. The thinner the blade, the better at cutting and frothing. The thicker the blade, the heavier duty and the better for mixing dough.
on September 26, 2009
Excellent hand mixer! At first, I was torn between getting the 5-speed, 7-speed, or the 9-speed. I was afraid that the 5-speed would not be as powerful as the latter two. However, I ended up going with the 5-speed as a trial and because it was much cheaper! Needless to say, the 5-speed has done the job! I hardly ever go up to the top 2 speeds anyway and my baking and cooking has become much faster and more efficient with this hand mixer! There are 3 different types of attachments: the regular whisk-like ones as pictured, a cork-screw looking attachment for mixing thicker ingredients such as dough, and a stick attachment for smoothies. All attachments work great and are very easy to clean. I would highly recommend this item! The Kitchenaid brand is reliable and it compliments other Kitchenaid items in my kitchen!
on December 28, 2012
Both beaters fell out after a few months of use.Whatever held them in place broke. Won't stay in! Cost more to repair than to just buy a new one! I just had to throw it out!
on December 25, 2010
In less than two weeks the "eject" button jammed in permanent eject mode so that the beaters will not stay in place. Up until then, it worked fine for light tasks such as beating egg whites, although I agree that the higher speeds were not particularly impressive.
on August 1, 2007
I purchased the Kitchen-Aid hand mixer based on a great experience with an earlier model purchased many years ago, but this one was an extreme disappointment. Instead of a sturdy mixer with lots of horsepower, I ended up with a light-weight plastic casing and thin beaters. My test for a hand mixer is the standard - chocolate chip cookie dough... and this mixer in no way held up. An email to the company asking why they had "downsized" a much less robust appliance gave a less than satisfactory response. There must be a more hardy hand mixer out there, so keep looking.
on February 7, 2014
My beloved 14 year old, 6-speed KitchenAid hand mixer finally mixed itself to death. My old mixer was digital, so I looked at the 7 and 9 speed KitchenAid hand mixers, but was distressed to see that some may be made in China. I hesitated buying this mixer, because it wasn't digital but, this one is MADE IN THE USA, which is very important to me. I decided to give it a try. Besides the slide speed control, the only difference between my old mixer and this one are the beaters; the new beaters are longer and a bit larger. The mixer still has a .6 amp motor, the same as the old mixer. My old mixer was powerful enough to mix cookie dough, so I'm assuming this one is too. Since I have a KitchenAid stand mixer, and a Zojurishi bread machine, this hand mixer won't be seeing much in the way of stiff dough. In comparison, this hand mixer incorporates ingredients much faster than the old mixer. It whips cream much faster. I made mashed potatoes the other night, and the potatoes were actually airy and fluffy, which has never happened before. I'm giving credit to the new design of the beaters. The most surprising is, that I like the sliding speed control more than the digital touch control. I can very gradually slide the control toward maximum, which actually gives me infinite speed control. Many times I'd wished my old 6 speed hand mixer had a speed that was 1/2 way between speeds; with this mixer, I have that type of control. If you want true control over the speed of your mixer, this is the mixer for you. BTW, the beaters from my 14 year old KitchenAid hand mixer, fit this mixer, so I have a spare set of beaters!