5.0 out of 5 stars Does Everything a Dessert Chef Would Need.
Published on January 4, 2005 by mirasreviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Cookie dough killed it
I have a small kitchen and did not want to get the big KitchenAid stand mixer. Given thier reputation, I thought I would try this as an alternative.

It worked great - for a while. In about a year, I have basically killed it where it takes FOREVER to do anything heavy. Lots of speed, not so much torque.

My cookies started to get worse and worse, until...
Published on December 10, 2005 by T. Boland

5.0 out of 5 stars Does Everything a Dessert Chef Would Need., January 4, 2005
This review is from: KitchenAid KHM9PWH 9-Speed Professional Hand Mixer, White (Kitchen)
For a decade, I've been using KitchenAid hand mixers to mix heavy dough, light batters, whip cream, make meringue, and mash potatoes. They are perfect for making cakes, cookies, fillings, pastries, and most baked goods. I've had 2 KitchenAid hand mixers, including this 9-speed, and both have run smoothly and powerfully enough for the stickiest cookie dough. The 9-speed weighs about 2 pounds, which feels heavy after 5 minutes of constant use, but never so much that it really bothered me. Unless you are making bread dough, mixing large quantities, or have a weak arm or arthritis, there is probably no need for a stand mixer. KitchenAid hand mixers will get the job done.

The KHM9PWH has 9 mixing speeds. The first three speeds are slow, or stirring, speeds. Speeds 4-6 could be called medium. 7-9 are fast to superfast. To run the mixer, you first flip on the power switch on the side. Then press "Run" with your thumb while holding the mixer. Two arrow buttons provide easy "speed up" and "slow down" control. The current speed is displayed digitally right above your thumb. The mixer gently comes to a halt, even from high speeds, when you press "Stop", just below the speed buttons. When running, the righthand (looking from above) beater spins normally, while the left beater makes a slight circular motion while spinning. If you're wondering about the difference between the 9-speed, 7-speed, and 5-speed models, using my previous, somewhat subjective, definitions: The 5-speed mixer has 1 slow speed, 3 medium speeds, and 1 fast speed. The 7-speed model has 2 slow speeds, 3 medium speeds, and 2 fast speeds. I find the additional slow speeds on the 9-speed mixer useful.

The mixer's surface is smooth for easy cleaning. All but the eject button are covered. The cord is also smooth and round so wipes off easily. The KHM9PWH comes with a single whisk attachment, which goes in the hole for the righthand beater. I've never found the whisk advantageous in whipping cream or meringue, but it might be beneficial in breaking up clumps in sauces. The whisk attachment is longer and wider than the beaters. It protrudes 7 inches when inserted in the mixer, instead of the beaters' 6 inches. The instruction book for the KHM9PWH is short but easy to understand, well-illustrated and contains 20 recipes, including suggestions for flavored whipped creams. The same instructions are provided in Spanish, but not the recipes.

I've been very pleased with my KitchenAid hand mixers, but they don't last as long as larger KitchenAid appliances. I've had the 9-speed for three years. Before that, I had a 7-speed model for 7 years. The motor never slowed down a bit. But I had to replace that mixer, because one of the beaters would no longer lock in place. I've always found that KitchenAid motors live up to their reputation, but other little things can go wrong.

5.0 out of 5 stars Many out there, but none can compare!, February 7, 2001
Over the years, I have purchased several hand mixers and none can compare to this model by Kitchen Aid. This mixer is as close as one can get to professional equipment. Unlike most hand mixers, it has nine (digital) speed settings and and can easily handle heavy duty mixing needs. Other advantages are that it is lightweight, quiet, and very easy to clean. This mixer costs a little more than other products in it's category, but it is worth every penny. I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the money, July 11, 2003
This is a great mixer, and definitely a step up from even other KitchenAid mixers. My previous model was KitchenAid's 5 Speed model, and while it lasted me a long and faithful time, it was a bit down on power, and the speed transitions between the different settings were not smooth. This 9-speed is almost as powerful as the new and popular immersion blenders (or boat-motors, as Emeril would say), but the smooth electronic transitioning between 9 different speeds gives the user a great deal of control which will prevent you from over-beating stuff.KitchenAid's patented beaters remain the best around in terms of maximum air incorporation into eggs or batter that you are working on. The electronic speed control is a flat and integrated switch, the whole surface of the mixer with the exception of the ejection nob is now one smooth unit that makes it extremely easy to clean. The mixer is not super light, but not annoyingly heavy, either, so you won't tire out on those longer 8-10 minute mixing steps that some cakes require

5.0 out of 5 stars This picky person is very satisfied with this mixer!, August 6, 2002
By A Customer
The only con I have found so far with this mixer is that it feels a tad heavy (might give an elderly person or a child some trouble). I can put up with the heaviness, though, because I love everything else about the mixer. I really like the digital control feature for adjusting the speed up or down or off. On the first speed you can so slowly begin mixing ingredients that you will never again have a splattering mess all over everything (unless you up the speed too fast, but you do have total control over that). It means a lot to me to have that extra slow speed! (Just a note -- until I got used to using the digital speed control, I inadvertently touched "off" without realizing it. I thought the mixer had quit working, but when I figured out what I had done wrong I did not have that problem again.) The included whisk is handy, and you can order another set of beaters from KitchenAid if you like the idea of having another set clean and ready to go if needed (say, if you were mixing a cake with raw eggs and then wanted to mix a frosting or whipped cream). The beaters and whisk are stainless steel so will not chip and rust like chrome might. This mixer is also quiet as can be. Attractive, easy to clean, and fun to use, this is a wonderful product that I am happy to recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth the extra $, December 27, 2001
Mary L McGough (Afton, MN United States) - See all my reviews
If you are considering a hand-mixer for your kitchen, this mixer really is the one. It is so powerful, yet so light and takes up little space. Really, I was able to do 3 batches of cookie dough at once with this mixer and it didn't bog down. You could really replace the stand mixer on your wish list with this 9-speed mixer and a couple of good mixing bowls that don't slip. Getting replacement or extra accessories is really easy - you can get them from Kitchen-Aid or a reseller. I got an immersion blender attachment, so I was able to stretch my mixer's use even more. So spend the extra money on this guy instead of getting a less expensive hand mixer AND a stand mixer AND an immersion blender.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cookie dough killed it, December 10, 2005
T. Boland (Southern California) - See all my reviews

My cookies started to get worse and worse, until I realized what was happening. I made the same cookies in a different kitchen with someone else's hand mixer that I had not killed yet and noticed the difference and remebered that this mixer *used* to feel like that when it was new.

Bottom line? I just ordered the KitchenAid stand mixer. I should have done this last year and saved the price of this mixer.

Please don't read this as a completely negative review. I may have chosen the wrong tool for the wrong job. It's not all this hand mixer's fault.

It's still great on light batters and whipping cream.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much more useful than I anticipated, April 30, 2006
Since I am one of those people that has every kitchen gadget known to mankind I wasn't certain this would get much use in my kitchen. I was wrong. With this mixer and its balloon whisk attachment, which is included, I am able to do anything that I previously used a non-powered whisk to perform.

There is an optional attachment to turn this into an immersion blender, for those that don't already have one.

I expected this mixer to be heavy, like all the other kitchen aid appliances. It is much lighter than I expected, which is a good thing. My arm did not tire using this mixer as much as it would with a regular balloon whisk.

Having the power buttons integrated into the face of the machine makes this appliance much easier to clean than the older machines with the buttons. No little crevices for "crud" to accumulate.

America's test kitchen rated the Kitchen Aid mixer (7 speed) very highly which is why I purchased this one. This is a highly recommend item, in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome mixer!, February 5, 2004
My 35 year old Sunbeam stand mixer needed to be replaced. I thought about getting a stand KitchenAid Artisan, but those are rather expensive, and I would need to get a hand mixer in addition to that. So I thought I'd try this 9 speed hand mixer and see if I still needed to get the big Artisan. This one works great, and does everything I need it to. This turns out to be the only mixer I need! I have used it for cakes, beating eggs, mashed potatoes, and much more. And the price is GREAT--I checked around a lot, and this is by far the best price I found.

5.0 out of 5 stars You Can't beat KitchenAid!, September 1, 2006
This is my third KitchenAid hand mixer. My first was a three speed, my second a five speed and now I have the nine speed. Each one has had more power than the last. This is light weight and has an easy to use digital speed control that is not in your way when you are using the mixer. I always wanted the KitchenAid stand mixer, but when my children were home, I couldn't afford it and now that I can afford it, the hand mixers from KitchenAid have made me realize its just not necessary to have the big one that takes up a lot of counter space. The nine speed is wonderful. The lower two speeds are for stirring. My other two mixers didn't have that capability. I was surprised how much power this mixer has. If you don't have the room or don't want to spend the money to buy a big stand mixer, buy this one. It's a great little mixer with a lot of power.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality for the Kitchenaid name, September 22, 2008
My mom has had two Kitchenaid stand mixers, one that's lasted for about 10 years with no problems (which she handed down to me) and another that she's had for about 5 years with no problems. Since the stand mixers were of such high quality, I thought a hand mixer would be a great purchase. Wrong. Within the first month I had it, the whisk attachment broke. The whisk itself came loose from the metal rod at the bottom while I was making some frosting, and I guess the rod was spinning loose for a while in the little hole where it's attached, because when it finally came apart and I grabbed the two pieces, I got severe burns on two of my fingers.

Kitchenaid never sent a replacement, even though I followed all the procedures and submitted my information twice. Now, two years later, my mixer won't turn on at all. I used this mixer maybe once a month, if that, so I'd say I got around 20 uses out of it - which is complete garbage for a product that retails at $90. I had a cheap $20 Hamilton Beach mixer from Wal-Mart that lasted for 6 years before this. I'm so angry I will never buy another KitchenAid product again. KitchenAid, you need to get your act together.

Rate and Discover Movies