Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon David Ramirez $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day

KitchenAid KICA0WH 2 Quart Ice Cream Maker Stand Mixer Attachment
Size: Fits 5 to 6 quart MixersChange
Price:$63.99+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

1,208 of 1,229 people found the following review helpful
I own both the KitchenAid ice cream attachment and the Cuisinart Ice Cream Maker, two devices that work on the same principle of using a liquid filled freezer bowl and a machine-operated paddle to make homemade ice cream. I decided to compare the two using the same recipe for French vanilla ice cream (from the KitchenAid cookbook) to see which performed better.

The KitchenAid: The bowl has a greater capacity (about 5 cups of mix) than the Cuisinart ICE-20 Automatic 1-1/2-Quart Ice-Cream Maker, White. Although it also takes up more room in the freezer, I liked this aspect. After all, if I'm going to make homemade ice cream, I want enough to make the effort worthwhile. The KitchenAid attachment added more air, which created a slightly grainier, more commercial texture but faster flavor delivery. Perhaps because it froze more mix, the KitchenAid was also slower to finish, taking eight minutes longer than the Cuisinart. Removing the frozen cream was easy except from the complex shape of the dasher. Although both machines were noisy, the KitchenAid was by far the quietest. Because you have to pour the mix into the bowl while the paddle is running and because the thick walls of the freezer bowl make it difficult to access, I recommend resting the pouring shield on the edge of the bowl -- it doesn't fit completely, but it's good enough to minimize spillage. Also, if you expect to add nuts, chips, cookies, or other harder items near the end of the cycle, decrease the mix by the same amount. Five cups of batter plus a cup of nuts will overflow the bowl.

The Cuisinart: The ice cream was definitely denser and silkier, although in more limited quantity. The machine takes about 3 cups of mix, and, unlike the KitchenAid, some of it was wasted when it froze solid to the walls of the bowl. The KitchenAid, on the other hand, had little or no waste.

My husband preferred the ice cream from the KitchenAid attachment; he claimed that it tasted much better. I preferred the denser texture from the Cuisinart, although the ice cream was much more difficult to scoop after a day or so of ripening in the freezer. Both tasted much better than anything I can buy in the supermarket.

Despite my preference for the Cuisinart texture, I'm giving this attachment five stars because it still yields great tasting ice cream with minimal work. You do have to plan ahead, however: the bowl must be frozen for at least 15 hours, and the mix must be chilled a full day in advance. Since many ice cream recipes call for a cooked custard (with egg yolks), this means cooking a day or more before you want to make it. If you have the room in your freezer, you might want to store the bowl there. I recommend wrapping it in a plastic bag to keep ice crystals and freezer-taste out.

The decision to choose between this attachment and a special purpose machine depends in part on how many people you want to feed and whether you have the freezer space for a bowl that measures 7 " high x 12" wide x 9" deep (it's not symmetrical because of the outside pieces that allow attachment to the lift mixer). The Cuisinart bowl is only 5.5" tall, with a 7" diameter. Another point to consider is longevity. I expect a KitchenAid mixer motor to far outlive anything on a special purpose machine.

This makes a great gift for people who already own a KitchenAid since most of us are also attachment junkies. I highly recommend this ice cream bowl, although I strongly suggest some comparison shopping to make sure this is right for you.

-- Debbie Lee Wesselmann
2626 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
1,563 of 1,621 people found the following review helpful
VINE VOICEon January 3, 2006
I think my wife is trying to murder me with this KitchenAid Ice Cream Maker Attachment! She bought this for me for Christmas along with the Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream Recipe book knowing full well that I would become obsessed with trying all of the recipes. I'm on the third batch (Cherry Garcia, Coffee Chip, Chocolate Chocolate Chip) and I can already feel my heart slowing down. I can hardly make it to the mailbox without becoming winded. Luckily I realized her dastardly plot before having an ice cream overdose induced myocardial infarction. She almost got away with it as nobody would have suspected her. The paramedics would have just thought I was another fat pig who overdosed on ice cream.

This is so easy to use you may also find yourself overstocked with fresh quarts of the best ice cream you ever tasted. Follow the recipes in Ben and Jerry's book and carefully follow the directions that come with the churn and you'll make great ice cream every time. As the other reviewers have mentioned, it is essential to allow the ice cream to "ripen" before serving. This is not a requirement that is unique to this churn by the way. This is necessary with other churns as well. So be patient, plan ahead, get creative, and enjoy.
4747 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on July 21, 2012
Even though I followed the usage instructions to the letter (letting the Freeze Bowl thaw out completely before cleaning, clean by hand, not in the dishwasher) a small pinhole has appeared in the pivot point at the bottom of the bowl where the dasher fits. I noticed a small puddle of the blue coolant pooled at the bottom of the bowl after taking it out of the freezer And I've only used this thing about 6 to 8 times since I purchased it in 2007. Considering it's out of warranty now guess I'm stuck eating the $60+ dollars I paid for this thing. I certainly won't be buying another one..

8/28/2012. A few days after writing this review I posted what had happened on KitchenAid's FaceBook page and received an immediate reply asking me to forward my information to a customer service representative. The next day I received another reply from this representative stating that even though my Ice Cream Maker was out of warranty they would be sending me out a replacement. It arrived about 5 days later in the mail. Although I still feel the freeze bowl probably needs to be redesigned for better durability I really appreciate the fact KitchenAid cares about their customers and sent out the replacement at no cost to me.
1818 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 20, 2008
I love this attachment.

I've made sorbets out of fresh fruit that were wonderful. I keep a bottle of simple sugar syrup in the refrigerator and it makes whipping up a sorbet fairly quick and easy. Simple sugar syrup is just 1 part sugar and 1 part water heated to boiling, then cooled down. If you make a good quantity and store it in the fridge you have it ready to use anytime.

Cut up, or mash up, your fruit then puree it. I use a Kitchen Aid Hand Blender to do that KitchenAid KHB100ER Hand Blender, Empire Red. Then I sweeten up the puree'd fruit with the simple syrup. I just do it to taste. I make it a little sweeter than I want the sorbet to be, as it isn't as sweet after freezing.

For something like Raspberries it takes a lot of syrup, and for sweeter fruits, less. I do strain the seeds out of the raspberries, so it isn't as easy as other sorbets, but it is my favorite. I add a squeeze of lemon or lime to tart sorbets like lemon or raspberry (lime in raspberry is great). Use a fresh lemon or lime. Bottled lemon or lime juice will really add an obvious plastic taste to something as clean tasting as sorbet. I've even added a little liquor to the mix. I've read that it keeps the sorbet smoother, but haven't tested it out side by side, to find out the difference. I liked them either way.

I let the mix cool down in the fridge, then freeze it in the Ice Cream bowl. It needs a little finishing in the freezer to get firm scoops, but freezes a little more firm than Ice Cream, and is really ready to serve right out of the Ice Cream Freezer bowl.

I tried some cooked custard ice cream recipes and wasn't happy with them. The first one came out delicious, but it was too much work, got too many bowls and pans dirty during the making (I wash dishes by hand), and took too much time cooking and cooling.

Then I bought the Ben & Jerry's book Ben & Jerry's Homemade Ice Cream & Dessert Book and tried their base. Wow. That was exactly like the Ben & Jerry's from the store. It was so much easier too. The premium base is just two eggs, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 pint cream and 1 cup milk. It's delicious and very quick. (1 pint half and half, and a 1/2 pint cream is basically the same.)

If you are going to add something chunky at the end, like fruit, nuts, candy,... Get those ready first. Break up your candy or cookies if you need to, and put them and any nuts in the freezer. Cut up any fruit and put it in the refrigerator.

I put the whisk on the mixer. Beat the eggs on high, to light and fluffy, in about 2 or 3 minutes. Slowly add the sugar while it's still whisking. Add the flavorings that you want. Then add the cream and milk. Let it whisk on medium for just a minute or two and you are finished. If you whisk too long, or too fast after the cream is added, the fat starts to clump up and you will end up with sweetened butter. Then I put the mix/base in the fridge right in the mixer bowl and let it cool down. I don't even bother to cover it.

I have a remote thermometer that works in my oven or freezer. I drop the probe in the mix. The cable is made so you can close the oven or fridge on it without damaging it. Then I stick the thermometer on the fridge (it has a magnet). I can see at a glance just how cool it is. It does take longer to cool down than I thought it would. That's where the thermometer comes in handy. It keeps me from trying to freeze it too soon.

The thermometer even has a way to enter the temperature that you want, and it will beep when the mix gets to that temperature. I don't bother with that. I bought a cheap one and setting those features is too complex, so I just use it to read the temperature. This is the most popular one on Amazon that works like mine: Polder Original Cooking Timer and Thermometer. I wish I'd bought that instead of the off brand I bought from the hardware store. Mine won't even go up to candy cooking temperatures. (I think I'll order this one now).

I've put my base/mix in the freezer also, and had it freeze up a little before I got to it. It still came out perfect. The little bit of ice that formed was completely broken up during the freezing process.

I have the freezer room to keep the bowl in there. That's best if you have the space.

They warn you not to put the mix or base in until you have it already running. I don't think that is necessary at all. It's very difficult to get the mix in while it's running anyway, even using something with a pouring spout.

I put the attachment on the mixer. Get the mix out of the fridge or freezer. Give it a few stirs with my spatula. Get the freezer bowl out of the freezer. Drop the dasher in it. Pour my mix in, and put it on the mixer. Then I start it up.

It only takes about 10-15 seconds to get the mix in the bowl and the bowl on the mixer. If any ice forms, it must get broken up completely in the freezing process as I never find a single crystal in the silky smooth ice cream or sorbet I make with it. Be sure to lock the head down. When the mix/base firms up, the dasher can get pushed around a little and it won't engage as well with the attachment. If I lock the head down, I never have that problem.

In about 20-25 minutes when it looks done, put in any chunky stuff like fruit chunks, candy, cookies,... and let it run for another minute or so. If you are going to put your chunks in while it is still running, be sure to keep the head locked down. It is less likely to jam up the dasher if it can't jump around.

Sometimes it is too full to easily get them in, and sometimes the chunks are too big and jam up the dasher. I've mixed my chunks in after I transfer it to my freezer container. It isn't hard at all to get them incorporated and they are less likely to get mushed up or broken up more. Make sure your chunks are very cold, or in the case of candy, nuts, or cookies: frozen is best. That will keep them from warming up the ice cream. Fruit chunks will hold together better if very cold, so they won't get mushed up by the dasher or while you are mixing them in by hand. Candy and cookies are less likely to break up more while mixing them in if they are frozen.

I like coffee and or mocha flavored ice cream. To make coffee ice cream, I add two tablespoons of instant coffee to the eggs after I mix in the sugar. The kind I use doesn't dissolve. It does mix in more during the freezing. If you want it to be mocha, just add 4 teaspoons of cocoa. At the end, before I stop the dasher, I'll add another tablespoon of instant coffee. I let that mix in a little longer - 3 minutes or so. This portion isn't supposed to dissolve. The little flecks of coffee crystals, add a little crunch of intense coffee flavor when you bite them. I love it that way.

When I take the bowl off the mixer. (I don't wait for the clicking sound. I just take it out when it looks firm enough for me.) I pull the dasher out and scrape off the major portion by just scraping each side and pushing the big chunks out of the center. I put the dasher on a plate. It is hard to get the dasher cleaned off. That's my main complaint. But, darn it all, that just means, I have to lick all the extra ice cream or sorbet off the dasher.

I scoop the ice cream or sorbet out of the freezer bowl and into my container with the spatula. I can lift the bowl and do it that way, but it is awkward. I've found I can get most of it out of the bowl with just 4 or 5 scoops. Then I run my spatula around the sides and bottom and then pick up the bowl and transfer the remaining portion. I stir it after I've transfered it into the container. It does try to crystallize a little around the sides because I use a slower method to get it out of the bowl. Any crystals that formed are not hard enough to stick around, and just a couple of stirs with my spatula and they are broken up and incorporated.

I like the soft serve consistency of the Ice Cream, but only if it's going to be eaten immediately. It really needs to be finished off in the freezer if you are going to dish it up nicely and serve it to guests. It's too soft when it comes right out of the freezer bowl to not melt a little while you dish it up into room temperature bowls.

You can also freeze your bowls. I like to serve sorbet in martini glasses. If I freeze the glasses first, while I'm scooping out the sorbet, the glasses get frosty. If you scoop it into room temperature glasses, it will melt a little and you will have a little pool of melted sorbet in the bottom. Sorbet in frosty martini glasses - it's a little gay isn't it? - well if you haven't guessed that I'm gay yet, I'm sure that gave it away hahaha. It is really gorgeous served that way. Seems to make it taste better when it looks so good.

The last thing is really essential. Buy some pants with an elastic waistband.

I did find some people have had the problem of ordering this when they have an older or European model Stand Mixer. It is not designed to fit either. There is a warning on the Kitchen Aid site. It's right next to the attachment on their store page. I think Amazon should put it front and center on this page also.

--------------

Fits only US 110 volt models, does not fit European models.

Convert any Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer into an ice cream maker! Offers the largest single bowl capacity in the industry. This attachment makes frozen desserts and soft-serve consistency ice cream in 20-30 minutes. The dasher rotates inside the freeze bowl to spread, scrape, and mix the batter.

If you have a model produced before 1989 please call the Kitchen Aid Customer Satisfaction Center at 1-800-541-6390 with the model and serial number from your stand mixer for further assistance.
Features:

* 2-quart capacity
* Fits Tilt-Head or Bowl-Lift Stand Mixers
* Includes: Freeze bowl, Dasher, Drive assembly, and Adapter ring

--------------

I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 19, 2004
My friend bought this and told me about it. I have made 4 batches so far and all have tasted great. Granted it does not make the ice cream hard in the half hour but to a soft serve consistency. I usually put it in the freezer for a half hour before serving. I only cool the ingredients for an hour- but I also do not use the recipe that requires cooking. I use 2 cups heavy cream, 2 cups half and half and 1 cup whole milk with 3/4 cup sugar and 3 tsp vanilla with a half cup of cocoa. As far as having to freeze the container for 15 hours I just keep it in the freezer so it is always ready so I don't have to plan ahead. Both my friend and I are very pleased. The icecream does not get ice crystals like a previous cheap maker I had.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 2010
Unlike some of the other 1-star reviewers, I managed to make some rather amazing ice cream with this product. The problem is, after just over 2 years with only a handful of uses (less than 10, probably closer to 6) I noticed that the inside of the bowl was leaking blue fluid. For an $80 product, especially from KitchenAid, that's just unacceptable quality. The included warranty is only 1 year, so I'm out of luck.
5050 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 31, 2011
I've bought two of these freezers before, and they've both cracked in the same place. I took very good care of them, following the cleaning & storage instructions, but there's a seam that is not well formed and broke on both. I do not recommend this product, even though I love my kitchen aid. I'm going to try one of the stand-alone ice cream makers that does not have the same seams on the side to see if that one works better.
on October 5, 2004
I loved this product, it is so much easier than messing with the bulky old fashioned ice cream maker. It's important that if you want hard ice cream, you allow it to ripen. The instructions state that you must transfer the ice cream from the freezer bowl to a freezer safe container before you put it in the freezer to ripen. It was so easy to use too!
on October 28, 2010
I'd never made my own ice cream before buying this attachment and now I regret the years of fantastic ice cream I could've had! It's SO good and so ridiculously easy! Not exactly slimming, but is a life without great ice cream worth living? No!

Here are a few tips I've found useful:
1. Assembly is easy once you know how. However, because the attachment is designed to fit many different models, how it fits your particular unit is a little tricky the first time. Take the time to figure out which pieces go where on your mixer before showtime.

2. Put the bowl in your freezer on the coldest setting at least a day ahead of time. The liquid inside needs to freeze super hard or it just doesn't work right. Trust me on this.

3. Use a recipe that calls for no more than 3 cups of liquid (roughly 1.5 quarts). The first recipe in the manual called for 5 and when I added strawberries to the mix, it overflowed the bowl my first time.

4. The directions say to pour the batter in with the paddle turning to keep it from freezing to the sides. I've done that and it's messy because the arm is in the way. I've also poured the batter in with the paddle off and the arm lifted. That's easier, less messy, and I've had no problems. Just don't dawdle. [Edit: I take that back for any recipe that includes peanut butter. That froze immediately and I couldn't get the paddles to turn at all. What a mess. Keep the paddles moving for that.]

5. After the ice cream is done, scrape out the bowl with a good stiff rubber spatula. The last bits will freeze hard to the sides and you'll want to get every bit out without damaging the bowl.

6. It's easier for me to fold in the mixings myself once the ice cream is out, rather than to pour it into the bowl while it's running. I've found that the mixings make the paddle "freeze" in place, stopping the process.

7. DON'T rinse the bowl out right away. Let it come to room temperature first. You know how ice crackles when you put it in water? You don't want your bowl to do that, do you?
on August 23, 2005
If you like homemade ice cream, this attachment is GREAT!! It is so fast and eliminates the need for ice or salt. And, you can control the fat, calories, etc. Just keep it in your freezer all the time and you can make ice cream on the spot! The only drawback is that it makes only 2 quarts -- make sure you read the directions and only use 46 oz of batter (and not 2 quarts) as it will expand when it freezes!