Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on January 8, 2011
This is a truly great toaster. So far I have toasted store-bought and home made breads (both white and wheat, and yes there is a difference), English muffins, and toaster waffles. I never really thought the "count-down" bar would be of interest to me but I really appreciate it now that I have it - my toast and eggs are always done and hot at the same time. The extra "lift" on the handle is also great for getting to those smaller items (i.e. English muffins) without burning your fingers. If this holds up like the old Toast Master I had, then this will have been a great purchase.

BTW, the only reason I didn't give five stars is because I think it's over-priced; I know that probably 25% of the price is for branding.

UPDATE: We've had this toaster a year now and it's starting to "fade" a bit. It has begun to toast unevenly side-to-side and even up and down. That wouldn't be a HUGE deal after a year, but I paid a LOT of money for this toaster and would have expected it to perform better, and over a longer period of time. I think I will spend considerably less next time and just figure on replacing more frequently; I could have bought three toasters for the price of this one!
11 comment| 77 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 5, 2011
I bought this toaster because I though buying an expensive toaster would actually produce good toast! What a joke! The first toaster I bought was a Black & Decker model for about $40. It was so terrible at making toast I returned it instantly and got this KitchenAid model.

First of all, the design is nice. It's solid and looks good. It 'works' nicely. However it does NOT toast toast evenly. It ALWAYS toasts one side more than the other no matter what slot you put it into. The different setting do make a noticeable change in toasting, but still, the uneven cooking is present. The other annoying thing about this toaster is it beeps 3 times when the toast pops up. Why 3 times? It's so loud and high pitched it actually hurts your ears! You can't disable it, or even muffle it. I returned the thing and got another to make sure I didn't get a lemon. Same thing exactly. So I returned that one too.

Hey KitchenAid and all other toaster makers. If you can't make a toaster that ACTUALLY toasts CORRECTLY, then maybe you shouldn't be making toasters! OR, is it you fail to have any quality control on these items that are being pumped out of China? Toast doesn't take rocket science to make. a $15 toaster should make great toast. A $70 toaster should make PERFECT toast! I'm tired of buying junk products that these companies put out. My old GE toaster that was 30 years old and I think it only cost about $20, but it made PERFECT toast and it looked nice. Simple but nice. Thank goodness Amazon allows reviews so people can tell the truth about these issues.
55 comments| 74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 6, 2011
This toaster has a 1-7 dial, so it's easy to dial in the right darkness after one or two tries. It's been very consistent, and the defrost, reheat, bagel buttons definitely make a difference for their respective functions. The display also has several tick marks along the bottom, which disappear one by one allowing you to see how much longer you have until it's finished. My only tiny tiny complaint is that when the timer finishes, it beeps 3 times before popping up. As someone who's never far from the kitchen when the toaster is on, it's a little annoying to hear that every time. I imagine others might like that feature though. I've always just purchased cheap toasters in the past, but am really happy I finally bought one that is sturdy feeling, works consistently, and looks nice too.
on February 17, 2012
After spending a month finding a good coffeemaker that didn't have all sorts of bells and whistles, what a surprise to
get a toaster that emits 3 loud, shrill tones that signals the toast is done. Not sure what designers find so important
with all that noise. At least give the option of shutting it off. I really can't comment much of the quality of the
toasting as it was promptly returned.
on February 7, 2013
I wanted to love this toaster. It matched my KitchenAid stand mixer and I love red. It has all the controls I wanted and it looks great on the counter top. After using for a week, the spring for the elevator mechanism fell off so the lever wouldn't raise back up on its own. We could see the spring inside but there was no way to attach it back without tearing it apart and obviously it was still under warranty. KitchenAid customer service was great and a new toaster arrived in two days. We now have the second toaster and all appears to be going fine. It just seems that the insides of the toaster are rather flimsy for the price that's charged but time will tell if that makes a difference in its lifespan.

I do love the ability to select different toast options and cancel and the digital display that counts down the remaining time on the cycle is very handy. It's a good looking addition to a countertop and easy to use. If I hadn't already sent one back I'd be very happy. Now I'm just a little wary.
on February 14, 2013
A Christmas present to ourselves - this toaster has now been used enough to have made its mark. It is stylish; if the look fits your kitchen decor, you will not be disappointed. The red color is tasteful, but not too-bright, or overbearing. The toaster has a solid look and feel - nothing flimsy here.

Most importantly, it works as you would hope. Lots of control via rotary knob for the level of toasting AND push button settings for: defrost, bagel, reheat & cancel. AND all works as labeled. This is a good toaster and a good value, and lets face it, part of the appeal is for its looks. The only negative (and it may be trifling); the slots are plenty wide for bagels, but not quite long enough for rye bread - which is only a bit longer than standard. A star off is harsh, but 4¾ if I could!
on July 28, 2013
We love our new toaster! We have a red KitchenAid mixer and wanted the toaster to match. We have had the toaster for three months now and have no complaints. The first time we used it we put the setting on 5 thinking that was medium, but that was too dark. Now we toast everything on 2. If you want the toast to pop up before it is does it on its own you just hit cancel. We went with the two slot, so it would take up less room on the counter and we didn't use all four slots on our old cheap one. I would think the KitchenAid four slice would be just as good quality. Also it is pretty easy to clean and looks great.
on June 11, 2011
My Dad almost paid over twice this price for the EXACT same item via a mail-order catalog. And the shipping would have been an ADDITIONAL $16.95! In his lifelong search for the perfect toaster (and one that didn't toast unevenly, or launch the toast or kidnap the toast, never to release it) he has now come to the end of his journey. This is by far the best toaster he has owned. Not many people rave about their toaster. But I guess not many own THIS toaster.
on October 13, 2012
I wouldn't normally bother to review a device whose only job is to make toast. However, before buying this toaster, I noticed many reviews complaining about the three loud beeps when the toast is done. The one I just got in October, 2012 only sounds one short beep. I can hear it in the dining room, but I would not characterize it as overly loud. It's a very useful feature and actually, in my opinion, a selling point for the toaster.

Other than that, it seems to be solidly built and so far, I like it better than any other toaster I've owned. I haven't tried Defrost, but Reheat works great - another selling feature.
on November 14, 2011
First new Toaster in about 15 years. Very Impressed with this toaster. English muffins come out just perfect. Am very pleased we bought this brand. Highly recommend this.

Have to take this whole review back! Takes WAY too long to toast anything, and after the first batch, each one gets hotter, so is hard not to burn your toast! Wish now I hadn't bought it! First times I used it, it was so nice! Then it got slower and slower, as the toast got darker and darker! Now, if I want to do more than two slices - I use my oven broiler! Faster and doesn't burn the toast!