on June 12, 2011
After trying several toasters during the past years, I can say this toaster is really close to the perfection. you get 7 different levels for toasting and even at the maximum, it will not burn your toasts but the 3 beeps at the end was driving me crazy. So, I decided to open the toaster to disable that buzzer.

The "guilty" beep is called ATT-1205, it's a magnetic buzzer. It has 85dba output but I believe the real problem is the high frequency combined with the dba. That magnetic buzzer should be correct in a smoke alarm, it's a bit surprising it's inside a toaster. You can see the specs and picture here:
[...]

1. To open the toaster, you will need 2 different screwdrivers. One is standard but the second one is called "snake eyes". I had this in my computer kit but I guess you can find it on the net. Make sure you take a long and thin screwdriver otherwise it will not fit.

2. So here we go, unplug the toaster and then remove the 10 screws all on the bottom of the toaster.

3. Gently pull the cover. 4 connectors (2 if you have the 2 slices toaster) will forbid you to completely remove the cover. you just need to remove the 2 frontal connectors (1 if you of the 2 slices).

4. lift the chipset from the slot on the front of the toaster just to be able to see the "buzzer" called ATT-1205+ (if you have the 4 slices, it's on the front left). See my link above and it's on the back of the chipset, just pull it out, it's not very solid.

5. Put back the chipset in its slot and reconnect the connector(s). Put back just 1 screw and test your toaster. If everything is fine, put back the other screws and enjoy.

Note1: I'm used to open laptops. Ask to someone around if you don't feel comfortable.
Note2: Your warranty will be gone if you open it. Just choose between warranty and noise. :) and btw, the quality inside looks very good. I'm pretty sure this toaster will last very long.

Thanks.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 30, 2010
I exchanged this toaster after 4 days of ownership. I'm going to break it down in 3 brief statements.

- Appearance is very good. Nice exterior design, easy to use controls. Very smooth lowering and raising action of the food.

- Beeps once when you push "toast" and beeps 3 times when your toast is done. The beep has an ear piercing characteristic and is way too loud for me. Reminds me of a smoke detector going off. The best feature on my microwave is silent mode - I can turn off all beeping. I wish this toaster could do that.

- English muffins went in first and turned out nice! I used the regular toast cycle and I was pleased with my new toaster (provided I would be able to hack into it to eliminate or muffle the beeping). The true test was regular whole wheat sandwich bread on a regular toast cycle (not bagel). Disaster. One side of the toast was well done and the other side was rare. I did this test twice, once in each slot, and I got the same result. Unacceptable.
1414 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Verified Purchase
Buy this toaster. It is very good, it does what it was designed to do, with extreme ease - push button technology, what else do you want? Oh, regarding the loud beeping....come on people! This is not louder than a regular alarm clock. I prefer the loud beep, as I I sit about 150 feet from the toaster - reading the news on my MacPro - when the beep goes off I can hear hear it very clear and I just get up and go to the kitchen to fix my sandwich or buttered toast. Compared to the other options, this is the best choice - best bang for the buck!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on November 25, 2011
Verified Purchase
I always buy KitchenAid countertop appliances because they have been consistently great: stand mixer, food processor, 4-slot toaster, handheld mixer. But not this toaster. I had the big 4-slice model from 3 years ago but wanted to downsize (the older toaster was heavy, took up a lot of room). I read all the reviews and thought, wow, this will be better. It wasn't. Negatives:
--the housing is mostly plastic;
--the unit is very lightweight, even flimsy; feels like cost-cutting measures were taken;
--there is no way to check the toast without actually turning off the unit in order to activate the motorized slot lifts;)
--but, most of all, the motorized lifts quit working after one week.
Granted, this failure may just be this one unit. But with the other negatives, I have returned it and taken the big heavy toaster that has worked perfectly for three years out of storage. Actually, only one minor problem with the older KitchenAid toaster: the beeper on the right two slots quit beeping. I can live with that.
on October 13, 2011
Don't go for this good looking toaster if you mind loud noises! It has the most annoying beep when you first press the button and then three ear piercing beeps when finished. So much noise in the house when others are still asleep is just not worth the hassle even if its a KitchenAid model. What could the engineers have been thinking? I am returning this back to Macys after two weeks and will buy a normal toaster which does not shatter the peace of my mornings with these loud sounds.

I don't need a jolting beep to tell me when I have started my toaster and three more to tell me my toast is done. It would be much better if they had a button to tune these sounds off. Until then, you should tune out this KitchenAid toaster.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 18, 2011
Having moved into a new apartment with updated appliances- I decided to put the Convection/Toaster Oven away and reclaim some counter space by using a regular toaster. I never thought buying a toaster would be complicated- but many toasters on the store shelves feel like they were made by a toy company and not an appliance manufacturer. I wanted a balance of solid construction, useful features, and most of all- evenly toasted bread for a fair price. I have a friend that owns a Breville- and it's definitely a solidly built unit- the dang thing is so heavy you could put your back out moving it to clean your counters! HA! Also, I just really feel it's price is more about marketing snob appeal, and not completely justified. I discovered this newer model KitchenAid, and while I could not find many professional reviews, I felt it had a comparible feature set to the Breville, a solid feel without being complete tank, all at a still higher, but more reasonable price. It's attractively designed, with a bit of a retro look- although a few friends that while they like it's looks- asked if it recieved FM/AM stations too.

All that aside, it does a pretty good and consistent job on toast, bagels, etc. Like some reviewers have said, it does tend to toast a bit more on the bread side facing the center. In my experience it's not too dramatic, and easily managed by dialing the setting one lower than it was. It also seems to have improved the more I've used it. The auto-lowering/raising works well and is whisper quiet. The display is easy to read, and the countdown bar a nice touch. The tones are a tad loud like some have said, but far from driving me crazy. Besides, anything that helps wake me up in the morning is NOT a bad thing. I need all the help I can get! I think the "keep warm" setting is a nice touch, but it only does so for about a minute- a bit short in my view. The "defrost" setting worked well, having defrosted some thick italian bread, and then toasting it evenly without drying the bread out.

Making the plunge on this toaster was made easy by the fact that I also got it for a fantastic price- many retailers will match prices online, and in my case, I was also able to use a 20% off coupon as well. I couldn't beat the features at that price- and so far, I'm very happy with the choice I made.
Verified Purchase
I consider good toast one of life's simple, but deeply satisfying, joys. Whether a chewy bagel spread with cream cheese or a slice of whole wheat topped with mayo, sliced tomatoes, and lemon-pepper, I am often happier eating good toast in my own kitchen than the overhyped but mediocre concoctions of mainstream suburban eateries (and even some supposedly amazing high-end restaurants that disappoint).

After several years of limping along with an old and cheaply made toaster picked up in a thrift store (an appliance which seemed to be losing the ability to properly time the end of the toasting cycle between "barely warm" and "burned"), I began shopping seriously for a proper toaster to prepare one of my favorite daily staples.

When I was a kid, my parents had what I think was a Sunbeam toaster with a single long slot. It was designed to sit along the back edge of a kitchen counter or table, with its controls on the long edge. But what I remembered most about the toaster, and didn't realize the rarity of until I had my own home, was how technologically advanced it was for the early 1970s. Namely, it dispensed with the push-to-drop-the-toast lever for a single pushbutton in the center of a degree-of-toasting control knob. Press the button, and the toast quietly lowered into the toasting chamber, and elegantly rose without an annoying "clunk" when the toast was done.

I waited many years for some small-appliance manufacturer to rediscover and revive this cool toaster feature, and was delighted to find an Australian maker, Breville, which had done so, in coordination with an electronic count-down display that visually indicates how much of the toasting cycle remains. I almost bought the Breville, but decided against it at the last minute due to what I felt was its boxy styling.

Soon thereafter, I was browsing the site of a big-box electronics retailer, known for its big yellow tag logo, and discovered that KitchenAid had a toaster with similar features and superior styling. Being a long-time fan of the KitchenAid brand, but deterred by their existing commodity-grade toaster products, I immediately headed over to Amazon where I found the same model in stock. (Please be aware that there's a similar-looking model with the electronic display but a normal up/down toaster handle rather than the motorized up/down control of this model.) I ordered immediately and received it only days later. What I found:

Pros: Attractive styling; wide slots; accurate centering of toast; reliable operation; ultra-cool auto-lower and auto-lift feature; controls for defrost, bagel (toasts just one side), warm (holds toast in toasting chamber for additional minute without over-toasting it), and reheat; digital toasting "shade" control ("1-7") and remaining-length-of-toast-cycle progress bar on display; loud triple-beep alert when toast is done; a one-year warranty with a KitchenAid customer service number you can call for possible repair/replacement issues

Cons: No way to disable beeping or control its loudness (a no-brainer feature, and electronically trivial to add); stainless steel portion of appliance casing is (like all stainless steel) easy to smudge and hard to clean; unevenness of toasting side to side (the sides of bread in each slot facing the center of the toaster get a bit darker than the sides of bread facing the outer edges of the toaster, even when bagel button is not engaged--I may have to call KitchenAid about this)

One more thing that's not necessarily a pro or a con--just something to be aware of: The existence of a clear transparent ring around each of the four small buttons on the display (like "Defrost") might give some buyers (like me) the impression that they light up when pressed. In reality, only the main button really has a meaningful glow around its perimeter, a pleasing blue color that appears whenever toasting is actually occurring. There is a little "spillover" of this light, behind the control panel, to the rings around the other buttons, but the "engaged" status of the other buttons is actually indicated by an appropriate word on the digital display.

Overall, I would consider this the ultimate toaster if the "cons" listed above were fixed. As it is, I'll say it's pretty good and step up from the ancient piece-of-crud toaster I was using before.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 2, 2012
I have owned many toasters. Most of them have been cheap, under $30.00. None of them toasted bread evenly and most of them broke or wore out quickly in one way or another. The best of the bunch I owned was a manual KitchenAid toaster that still works after seven years although it too requires you to turn the bread and toast it twice to get even toasting. I saw this KitchenAid KMT223 toaster at Fry's. It looked sleek and modern sitting there beside a dozen other lever-actuated models. None of those models seemed as well built as the KMT223 and their lever-actions seemed flimsy and well, cheap. I decided to take a chance and pay $70 for this model. And boy am I happy. It's been about a month and I can tell you that this toaster works better than any of the other toasters I have owned. True, as others have noted, it too toasts a little more on the side facing the middle than the other side. And the single beep when starting and ending the toasting cycle is a little louder than it needs to be. But every other thing about this toaster is top notch. I have even used the bagel setting to lightly toast the inside of hamburger buns while leaving the top sides cool and soft. The button operated lowering of the bread is silent and smooth. Truely a thing of beauty and wonder.
on October 10, 2013
KitchenAid has a great warranty. It was used because I ordered the first 2-slice, non-automatic toaster from Amazon and when it toasted very unevenly, called KitchenAid. That was MY mistake. I should have returned the toaster to Amazon and have been done with KitchenAid toasters.

Instead, I returned the toaster to KitchenAid, who sent me a new toaster at no charge. This happened two more times and after the fourth bad toaster, KitchenAid offered to send me this automatic toaster at no charge. I was told that the first 20 times I used the toaster, the bread would be toasted unevenly. This was true. The top of the toast burned while the bottom half was much too light.

This continued for two months and I finally called KitchenAid to complain. I will not get my sixth toaster, which includes four non-automatic, bread-lowering models and the second KMT 223CU toaster. Maybe it will toast evenly but I doubt it. KitchenAid should have stuck to making good stand mixers.
on December 30, 2010
Verified Purchase
Got this yesterday, toasted bread today. As previous reviewers say the toaster does not toast evenly. The bread in either slot toasts too much on the side facing the center and not enough on the side facing away from the center. On setting 3 or 4 the bread is burned at the top on the side facing in and barely done on the side facing out. Also toasts too much at the top of the bread and not enough toward the bottom. The bagel setting was not used. Needless to say, it's going back. The self lowering and raising are kind of cool features, and the style is good. The electronic beeps to signal toast starting and ending are loud, but probably necessary since the toaster doesn't make any other noises when the toasting cycle is done. May have to go to Walmart or Target to get a cheap toaster that actually does the important part of the job it's supposed to do though!

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations