Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Amethyst Jewelry Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on December 1, 2007
The KitchenAid brand was created by Hobart who manufactured the equipment for years until selling out to Whirlpool in 1986. Like many of you, you are probably here because your folks had a KA mixer that lasted for 25 years and now its your turn. If you want the mixer your parents had, check out the Hobart N50 ... still made in Ohio I believe. Its expensive .. $1600 ...

.. but then so is replacing your KitchenAid every three years, if it lasts that long. Half the problem is that the manufacturing is not what it once was for KA, the other half is people not reading the manual properly ... either way a mixer in this day and age should be able to cope with heavy dough for more than four minutes on low speeds .....
0Comment22 of 27 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 14, 2008
First unit received was not complete. Replacement unit - no difference in actual speed for speeds 1 and 2 on speed dial - also locking lever travel was too short. Second item returned for credit. Same item from other stores also had some faults. Very disappointed with the quality of a reputed top-of-class machine.
on November 7, 2012
For All metal gears look here KitchenAid KP26M1PSL Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Silver

All I wanted was a kitchenaid like my mothers. One that is still alive after 20+ years.

I was given this one. Excited as I went off to the races mixing and beating and kneading.

And then it started in the first 6 months. The locking didnt lock well, the gears began to grind, and the top began popping up and down. Further research showed me that these new artisans are NOT the same and have PLASTIC (EDIT: NYLON) gears that wear down and begin having issues. Mine is only getting worse with time. I have always followed their recommendations as to max amounts, especially with bread kneading but alas my gears still began to break down.

KitchenAid customer service claimed to me this change was made for engineering purposes, however, I believe this is economic purposes.
If Nylon pieces break down maybe they're cheaper in the first place, or maybe the fact that some users will have to replace the entire mixer.
Everyone I know with an old KitchenAid mixer from 20+ years ago still has theirs in perfect condition AND kneaded bread with them. So you do the math.
Their customer service also claimed to me if I want all metal gear assembly to purchase a more expensive version.

Their exact response to me as follows:
"Thank you for visiting the KitchenAid web site! We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry. I apologize for any inconvenience.

In response to your concern regarding the construction of the Stand Mixer gearbox and gears, KitchenAid has made the decision to change to an all metal gearbox on most of the larger mixers, the Pro 600 6 QT, not because of problems with the plastic transmission cover, but because KitchenAid is always looking for ways to try new materials and update all of our appliances, and this change was an engineering decision.

I can assure you that both the plastic and the metal housings are extremely durable and should have a long life under normal use. The Artisan is produced with nylon and metal gearing."

I'm so dissapointed overall, especially considering these come with dough hooks(ie should be able to handle the wear/tear) AND I always followed manufacturer recommendations of use.

My advice? Spend the money the first time and go for the Pro 600 6 QT. I've heard other ones in the pro series at 450watts or higher are all metal gears also. A MUST have for kneading bread or fast mixing.
33 comments11 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2014
Pros: Great mixer for doing the job it is meant to do. Cons: paddle beater does not work well with my bowl. And most importantly the knob to change the speed broke into 2 parts. When I contacted KitchenAid to replace the knob, they wanted the entire top of the mixer and would charge over $200.00. The knob simply screws or slips on and it isn't necessary to exchange the entire top of the mixer. Needless to say, I did not get the part. The mixer is still perfectly usable without it. KitchenAid really needs to look at their policy of overcharging their customers. This knob couldn't possibly cost more than a few dollars to make or sell.
on December 26, 2012
Got the Artisan from another retailer for Christmas. Ran for 3 minutes on a quick bread recipe, turned it off to get an egg, and it will not turn back on! KA customer service is good - sending a new mixer, but now I'm skeptical of the quality!
on October 30, 2012
I have very high expectation for this product as it has very good review. but mine stopped work in about 45 days. I only used about 10 times at most for mixing doughs. Now I need to contact the support.
on January 7, 2013
In the beginning, my KA worked very well for large batches of cookies and mixing huge cakes. HOWEVER it only worked for large batches. Things like pancake batter, a single coffeecake, 2 egg whites, and whipped cream don't have enough volume to mix in the KA. You'll need a handmixer if you don't want to stir those things up by hand.

Another huge problem is that the thing broke. For the price of this KA, it should be reliable. Mine didn't even last a year, and I cannot find a repairman. Phone calls to KA yielded the information that I'd have to drive 3 hours over the mountains to get someone to look at it and see if it can be fixed. We can only use the mixer by constantly sliding the power level back and forth with one hand, while whacking the KA on the side with the other hand. My daughters are willing to do that, but I am not.
on December 29, 2013
I really expected more from this device than it delivers.

The motor is not strong, particularly when dealing with bread dough.

Finicky and difficult to clean, I have a collection of scrubbers, bottle brushes and pokers to make sure that residue is not present after use.

Attachments are good, but very, very expensive.

Would not buy again
on September 19, 2014
I purchased this in Sept 2011 and not used except for cookies and bread dough - which I never went above setting 2 for bread dough. Today I moved the mixer after doing bread dough kneading for 2 minutes and found 2 dime sized drops of oil on the counter. Trying to find my book and will see if I can contact Kitchen Aid to see if this indicates a motor problem.
I also have to admit I have to frequently scrape the bottom of the bowl as it has an indented area that the flour etc. never gets incorporated.
on December 28, 2015
I had a KitchenAid Heavy Duty Stand Mixer,K5SSWW, 325 Watts for about 10 years .It was great and it never let me down. Lately, I thought it was looking a little scruffy, and that the White color was a little boring, and that the bowl lift was cumbersome, Like many who wandered away from a faithful companion for the shiny and new, I wish I had never made the change.
The bowl lift was actually as easy to deal with as the Tilt-Head which does not clear the bowl enough to easily scrape the bowl; it smelled like it was on fire the first couple times I used it and the pouring shield does not fit the bowl well.
It is a very pretty, shiny machine and looks great on my shelf, but I wish I had my old machine back on the counter....

See 1 answered question