5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fabulous
I've been using this mixer for over one year now and have no complaints. I bake part time and use it almost every single day. Clean up is simple, the glass bowl is gorgeous. I like being able to see if any ingredients are not incorporated. I like to leave it on my counter for my guests to admire, its almost like a decoration. Everyone says how pretty it is...
Published on August 17, 2011 by J.Pants

2.0 out of 5 stars Gone are the days of quality
If you need all metal gears get this:
KitchenAid KP26M1PSL Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Silver

All I wanted was a kitchenaid like my mothers. One that is still alive after 20+ years.

I was given this one. Excited as I went off to the races mixing and beating and cooking.

And then it started in the first 6 months. The...
Published 24 months ago by Lauren B. Eggers

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fabulous, August 17, 2011

Definitely worth the price.

UPDATE 1/13/2012: The original silver paddle attachment has tarnished after a short time even though I hand washed it. I found this paddle on Amazon and it is far superior to the one Kitchen Aid provides. It scrapes the bowl so there is no more sticking a spatula in the mix while the mixer is on! It was so amazing, i ordered a second paddle. Best part, you can throw them in the dishwasher. As for the metal paddle from Kitchen Aid...I threw it away without regret!

Mixer still runs perfectly. I've probably used it no less than 300 times in the last two years.

Beater blade:
New Metro Design Beater Blade for 5-Quart KitchenAid Tilt-Head Mixers, white grey blades

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely to look at-- and it mixes!, April 14, 2013
I won't lie, this thing makes me smile when I walk into the kitchen. I bought the metal-bowl version (KSM150) to make cookies after my hand mixer started to smoke during a particularly intense doughing session. I've used it primarily for that and pizza crusts. Things that can be mixed with a handheld whisk, I opt for that instead.

Do you need a stand mixer? No, probably not, but it sure takes the grunt work out of stirring and kneading. It also mixes more consistently than I could by hand and classes up the counter.

If you're set on a stand mixer, should you buy this one? Maybe. It's not designed for huge amounts of heavy dough or constant use. It's built well, but it's not an industrial machine. It audibly strains with a double helping of cookie dough (around 25 oz of flour) and kneading wet, thick pizza dough. With that sort of load, there's no speed difference between setting 6 and 10, though of course you'd never knead that fast anyway.

KitchenAid has some mixers that are ostensibly a bit stronger. They're all lift-style: instead of tilting the head back, the head sits higher and you raise and lower the bowl. I prefer the tilt-head style. The paddles never get out of the way with the bowl-lift, getting the bowl to lock in place is a jerky movement, and it takes up a lot of vertical counter space. What you do get for the extra cost of the Pro series is a better dough hook, a metal gearbox, more power, and a slightly larger bowl. Even these higher-power mixers will fall short of alternatives from Bosch and Electrolux for serious breadmaking, however.

If you go the other direction with the cheaper Classic Plus, you lose 1/2 QT of bowl capacity, a handle on the bowl, the splash guard, and color choices besides white. Otherwise, it's functionally identical to this model and about the same power. This mixer also came with a recipe book in addition to the splash guard. I haven't used either. The guard is a fiddly thing, you spill less just tilting the mixer up and dumping your ingredients in. I do think the extra 1/2 quart and the handle are worth something though (especially for double recipes) and could justify opting for the Artisan.

This particular model has a glass bowl relative to the more popular metal style. The glass is a lot heavier and less durable, but it does have measuring units and a pouring spout. The translucency solves a problem that really isn't a problem. Likewise, for measuring, I have my metal bowl on top of a kitchen scale because doughs turn out more consistent if I go by ounces instead of volume. Different recipes may benefit more.

There's a lot of talk about Hobart units. Prior to about 1985, these mixers were made by Hobart, a supplier of industrial kitchen equipment. Later models are made by Whirlpool. There's some debate whether the new models are as good as the old ones, particularly in regard to the gearbox. My take is that if you can find an old Hobart (e.g., K4SS, K5-A, K5SS with a metal 'Hobart' placard) and it runs well, it's likely to keep running well no matter what you throw at it. But it won't be as clean and may not fit certain new bowls, paddles, or attachments.

New or old, these KitchenAid mixers are dead-simple to repair. The motor brushes are replaceable without dismantling the unit ($10 or so and hidden beneath the black circular covers), the speed governor is mechanically adjustable, and the gearbox is straightforward and easily accessible. This means that they're intriguing on the used market. People receive them as gifts and put them in the local classifieds with minimal use or minor flaws you can fix. Typical transaction prices are $125-$175, and I've seen this mixer as low as $75. For new units, Kohls has them on sale quite often.

Here's the full list of KA mixers:

K45SS - Classic

* Tilt-head, 325W, 5QT glass handle, 3QT metal, pouring shield

KSM160APS - Architect
* Tilt-head, 325W, 5QT metal handle, 3QT metal, pouring shield

KSM500 - Pro 500
* Bowl-lift, 325W, 5QT metal handle, pouring shield, metal gears, soft-start/auto shutoff

RKG25H0X - Heavy Duty
* Bowl-lift, 450W, 5QT metal handle, pouring shield, spiral hook, metal gears, soft-start/auto shutoff

KV25G0X - Pro 5
* Bowl-life, 450W, 5QT metal handle, pouring shield, spiral hook, metal gears, soft-start/auto shutoff

KP26M1X - Pro 600
* Bowl-lift, 575W, 6QT metal handle, pouring shield, spiral hook, metal gears, soft-start/auto shutoff

KSM7586P - Pro Line
* Bowl-lift, 1.3HP, 7QT metal handle, pouring shield, spiral hook, metal gears, soft-start/auto-shutoff

If you'd rather have a more powerful bowl lift mixer, KitchenAid's refurbished store often has the Heavy Duty Series for as little as $175 (if you Google a coupon code). It's a doppelganger for the Pro 5 and includes the superior spiral dough hook. Whatever you buy, try to have it on (even with an empty bowl) for a few minutes at least once a week or two. The oil-leak problem occurs when the oil breaks down from disuse. If the mixer runs with any frequency, you'll never encounter it.

5.0 out of 5 stars KitchenAid Artisan Design Series - A Love Story, December 17, 2010
Heather (Central Florida) - See all my reviews
I bought this product as an upgrade to my KSM150. I know it's not technically an upgrade, as the motor, size, and function are identical, however, it sure feels like it. The glass bowl, paired with the deep blue and high gloss shine, makes it look more like art than an appliance. It was delivered about 36 hours ago, and I am looking for more ways to use it in my daily cooking. I love the marked measurements on the glass bowl (which is thick, sturdy, and not quite as heavy as Pyrex which is bonus). It seems to run quieter and mix more thoroughly than my old mixer (which was bought in 2007). I should mention my old mixer was just fine, ran great, and I never had one problem with it. I don't have any reason to believe this mixer will not last my holiday baking and general use. I did not need it, however, I had to have it, and now I regret waiting the few weeks I researched and waited to order. I checked all the brands out, as I feel this will be my last stand mixer purchase for quite a while, and even though there are a ton of options out there, some offering more options for less money, I have had great success with Kitchen Aid small appliances, and did not want to give up the option of a funky color to save a few bucks, or spend the same with for a design I don't personally like. Though I originally planned to upgrade to the 6qt lift style, I am glad I looked around and found this because I am absolutely in LOVE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes Baking A Blast!!!, November 27, 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid KSM155GBRI 5 Qt. Artisan Design Series with Glass Bowl - Raspberry Ice (Kitchen)
I love to bake and I have always wanted a KitchenAid. The color is so pretty and really lights up the kithchen. The power in this baby has made all my holiday baking super fund and easy. I would reccomend this product to anyone who does a lot of baking and cooking.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great product, March 21, 2012
This mixer is very well constructed and operates easily. Bought several accessories which hook up easily. Accessories are not cheep thought. Be warned, product is not light. Would recommend getting a hide away shelf to assist lifting from under counter.

2.0 out of 5 stars Gone are the days of quality, November 7, 2012
If you need all metal gears get this:
KitchenAid KP26M1PSL Professional 600 Series 6-Quart Stand Mixer, Silver

And then it started in the first 6 months. The locking didnt lock well, the gears began to grind, and the top began popping up and down. Further research showed me that these new artisans are NOT the same and have PLASTIC gears that wear down and begin having issues. Mine is only getting worse with time.
I'm so dissapointed overall, especially considering these come with dough hooks AND I always followed manufacturer recommendations of use.

So if you want to spend a hefty amount for something that will begin it's downward spiral in a year, get this. My advice? Spend the money the first time and go for the pro series with bowl lifts rated at 450watts or higher, supposedly these are ALL METAL gear construction. A must have for kneading bread or fast mixing.

4.0 out of 5 stars I'm an early adopter of KA Stand mixers., November 29, 2012
I had my first Kitchenaid Stand mixer in 1985- resplendent with it's glass bowl and fine form; I felt like a pro. I was a young mother and it was a gift from my MIL. I LOVED that mixer. I owned it for over 20 years before bequeathing it to a dear friend (still in great working shape). Then I bought a lavender colored Artisan about 4 years ago - stainless steel bowl and white coated fixtures. I LOVED that mixer too! Then we moved from Maui to NYC and that sucker was too big to ship. Once again, she found her way to a new baker, chef, cook friend... then I made a brief foray into the world of the rising bowl mixer - the one where the mixer part doesn't lift up and out of the way. That one I did NOT love. Not one bit. It was loud and the 'feature' that made it a professional model was lame to me. So I returned it and ordered this electric blue model. So far:

Pros:
Love the color and that it has a glass bowl
It is not very loud
Did I mention the glass bowl?

Cons:
The reason for my 4* instead of 5*s - The utensils feel cheap. They are not the white coated utensils but rather a cheap looking, lighter weight version. Don't find that very cool - particularly with regards to the dough hook, (which, admittedly, I haven't used yet). It is a very expensive purchase so I would have hoped for something a bit more 'high end'

I'll make sure to update this review in a few weeks, but so far:

One pumpkin pie - Awesome
One Lemon Cake - Awesome
One Rum Cake - Awesome

One crushed potatoes and garlic - Awesome

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Awesome!, August 12, 2011
This is my first Kitchen Aid mixer of my own, and how beautiful!

For one, the candy apple looks lovely on my counter top. The nice glossy coating gives a nice shine to it.

I have been using Kitchen Aid mixers my whole life as my mother has always had one, and I have to say that this design is quite elegant. The new attachments are very light weight and the big glass bowl is a fun aspect. It does add a little something to be able to watch the contents mix from the outside.

A wonderful addition to my kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars In love with this appliance!!!, October 18, 2011
After yearning for one of these for the past 2 years, my husband suprised me with this one yesterday! He even knew I wanted the one with the glass bowl. I have been reading reviews, and specs and everything related to this mixer, but could never justify spending so much...but recently I have taken on baking and I was getting frustrated with my hand mixer and the long periods of time I was taking to get everything mixed and ready to go. I think my husband picked up on the frustration and finally caved in. I carefully read all the manuals before I used this and used the dime trick: (details for this can be found at the following user review) [...]. I wanted to make sure the mixer head was aligned and that the attachments weren't striking the bowl before engaging in any baking activity. Everything was good to go, so I started with a batch of peanut butter cookies. It was effortless creaming the shortening, sugar and peanut butter. When the flour went in there was no bogging or slowing this beast down...it was awesome! This mixer is hands down the gold standard of baking. When it comes to looks this thing is a beauty! So shiny and blue and retro. If you have been waiting to get one of these like I was don't hesitate...for all the money you spend its value will be in the ease of baking and time that you save in the kitchen. Highly recommend!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, August 11, 2012
My handsome hubby surprised me with this for Valentine's Day and I could not be more pleased. I really wanted a KitchenAid for a loooong time but the price tag always put me off. Well one lonely night during deployment I found this online and couldn't believe it; a HOT PINK KitchenAid. It was like it was made for me! Anyway, I was still too sensible (read, cheap) to get it for myself but he wanted me to have it. I am very grateful. As far as I can tell it is pretty standard as far as performance goes. I have friends with KitchenAids and there is no difference in mixing times between mine and theirs. The extra money you pay with this model is all for the color. Worth every penny if you ask me. It makes me smile every time I look at it. I was worried about it throwing off the "decor" of my kitchen because mine sits on the counter but I got a cover in black and now it sits there and blends nicely. Plus when I take the cover off people always say "oooohh." Lol, it's the small things :) I did have a problem when I first got it. There were a few spots about the size of a fingertip that were unairbrushed. So they were still silver but I called KitchenAid and they had the old one picked up and the new one arrived at my doorstep in about 3 business days total. Easy and friendly. No complaints!