5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Wedding Present of All Time!
Published on July 18, 2000 by KC

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a mixer for the ages
I purchased this unit for the specific purpose of kneading dough. I used it no more frequently than once a week to make two loaves of bread and used it possibly once a month for cakes, cookies etc. The machine has lasted just a little over two years then it stripped one of more of it's gears and will cost ... dollars to repair.
I phoned the customer service people...
Published on November 16, 2000

5.0 out of 5 stars #1 Wedding Present of All Time!, July 18, 2000
This review is from: KitchenAid KSM90PSWH 300-Watt Ultra Power 4-1/2-Quart Stand Mixer, White (Kitchen)
When I got married a couple years ago, this was at the top of my giftlist. Sure it's a bit pricey but I have had countless hand mixersthat I paid up to $60 for that just can't cut it when it comes to mixing cookie dough, beating egg whites, incorporating enough air into a cake batter so it comes out light and fluffy, and I could go on and on. The KitchenAid Mixer is a real WORKHORSE -- I've met people who've had theirs for well over 20 years. Plus all those attachments you can buy for it make a useful appliance even more versatile. Like I said, [the price] may seem expensive, but it will be the last mixer you ever buy (unless you buy one for a new bride!). And I love all the different colors it comes in as well! Hubby calls it the "Tim Allen/Home Improvement" kitchen appliance with that powerful motor that just never seems to overheat or quit, even when creaming a pound of butter and 2 cups of sugar together! As Tim the Toolman would say: "Rrr-rrr!"

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this mixer, November 18, 2000
atmj (Rochester, NY USA) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
I have had my cobalt blue mixer for about 6 years now. I absolutely love it. I shopped around and I don't think there is a better mixer, unless you get into the bigger Kitchenaides. All the reviews on Cooks illustrated and the Cooking bibles that are out there recommend the Kitchenaide mixers. They just suggest picking the size and price you can afford.
I loved the fact I could get it in blue. Silly thing like color but I wanted to leave it on my counter and I like blue.
I bought mine on sale and I thought was pretty pricey then, but since I have opted to leave it on my counter, it gets alot of use, much more than one that would be stuffed in some cupboard that was tricky to use.
One thing that makes it such an attractive feature on the counter is its design. It has no fussy little buttons or features that would be hard to keep clean with frequent use. You have two levers one for speed and one to lock the bowl down. There is easy cleaning of its smooth lacquered metal surface.
I use my mixer at least 2 times a week. Usually for mashed potatoes and cookie dough. Occassionally, I have made bread in it and [supposedly] that is the real test of a mixer. It worked fine for me, but I'm really not a judge when it comes to bread.
This mixer works without the threat of wobbling off the counter. You can leave it at high speed without concerning yourself that it will self-destruct. I broke another brand big mixer about the same price as this one, by not holding it down while mixing chocolate chip cookie dough. I turned for a second and it rocketed off a counter and broke on the floor. Not just the bowl but the cheap plastic mixer housing. I think this Kitchaid mixer is a tank of a mixer and I would bet I'll be making cookies for my grandkids with it.
I feel this mixer is well designed because of its efficiency of mixing. It never has spots on the bottom it misses and if it is a dough it effectively gets all the ingredients involved. You have to do very little scraping down.
I have never used any of the other attachments out there, but I think it is really neat to have that option. I plan on trying some in the future. They have a pasta making one and a grinder one, I'm interested in.
I had to buy the pouring shield separate for my mixer, but it is is worth every penny....
I am also considering buying an extra bowl as mine are often in the dishwasher due to the often use.
If you are considering this mixer, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I manage before, July 13, 2000
David Wihowski (Milwaukee, WI USA) - See all my reviews
I have owned my Kitchenaid mixer for 15 years. How I got along before that, I don't know. Well, actually I do know. I didn't make bread (at least without a large amount of hand-kneading). I didn't whip cream. I made souffles, angelfood cake and meringue that were hardly ever light and airy. I only made single batches of cookies.
If you like to cook, cook for more than 3 people, or like to cook things that require kneading, beating or whipping this is THE mixer. I have done triple batches of cookies (they barely fit in the bowl). I have made VERY stiff bread doughs. I have creamed frozen butter for frosting. I have yet to overheat it or cause any problems with this mixer. Generally, if it fits in the bowl, this mixer can handle it.
It is speedy as well. Whipping egg whites, yolks, and cream almost always takes less than half the time that the recipe says it will take. Creaming butter and sugar for cookies takes seconds (unless the butter is frozen!).
I'm not particularly fond of the grinding or slicing attachments. I'd rather use my food processor. But for all the mixing tasks it is excellent. I have found only one fault with this mixer: if I do more than two batches of stiff bread dough I may have to wait for the mixer to cool after the second batch.
If you cook a lot, buy an extra bowl or two (especially the bowls with handles).
This is my 4th most important kitchen investment (right behind sink, stove and refrigerator).

1.0 out of 5 stars This is not a mixer for the ages, November 16, 2000
By A Customer
I phoned the customer service people at Kitchen Aid and they advised me that this machine will only handle six cups of flour, can only be used at speeds of "two" or lower and can knead for no more than four minutes at a time. That makes the unit virtually useless as a serious dough kneading device and makes it handy only for such light duty chores as beating egg whites and mixing cake batter.
Please be advised, this unit is no longer being manufactured by Hobart. They sold the manufacturing rights to Whirlpool and the quality has definitely deteriorated.
I am now considering the purchase of a Kenwood model KM-800 which has twice the power and is a much more rugged unit. I have read the Amazon reviews of the KM-800 and other that it's high price it gets rave reviews. Please, don't be fooled by low price. You get what you pay for.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine - Very Useful, June 30, 2001
By A Customer
This is one of the most versatile kitchen machines you will ever buy! If you are at all serious about cooking and baking this is the machine for you. We've had KitchenAid mixers in our family for over 50 years and most of them are still going strong. This is my second KitchenAid mixer in 17 years. We gave the first one away (it is still going strong!) and have had this one for almost 8 years. I make two or three batches of bread in it a week. I also have a bread machine, but I use the KitchenAid because it makes more bread per batch than a bread machine AND the bread is better (texture, crumb, etc.) out of the KitchenAid. It doesn't take much longer to make it in the KitchenAid versus a bread machine plus you get 2 loaves instead of 1 for the same amount of time spent.
Besides doing a great job with bread, it is a fantastic general mixer. It is powerful enough to cream butter and suger even if the butter is still refrigerator cold. It whips cream and egg whites to perfection. Use it to mash potatos and everyone will rave about how smooth and light they are. It does a great job with everything else I've made with it. I wouldn't want to bake without my KitchenAid mixer.
Do yourself a favor - get a second bowl, you'll be glad you did. Also, get the attachments like the slicer/shredder. They're great and well made, too. Thanks, KitchenAid for making such a great product. I would give this thing 10 stars if I could.

5.0 out of 5 stars The only mixer you will ever buy!, May 3, 2000
Buy this mixer and you will never need to buy another! I have burnt out 3 mixers but my Kitchen Aid never quits. It is so powerful my husband calls it my "cement mixer". If the price looks high, don't worry you will soon realize what a great investment you have made. If you havn't noticed there isn't a cook on TV that dosn't have one of these mixers.

5.0 out of 5 stars We finally broke down and got one. Why did we wait?, November 21, 2001
I needed (kneaded?) to replace my bread machine, but while I was researching reviews of various breadmakers, I came across the suggestion that a KitchenAid would crank out dough just as easily, but provide a lot more than a bread machine in versatility. This turned out to be true.
The first thing I made was a loaf of regular honey white bread. It took three minutes to knock out a great dough using the dough hook. The bowl and hook are not hard to clean. From there, the dough rose in a pottery bowl and was dumped into a loaf pan. While this is not quite as easy as the dump-and-go method in a bread machine, it is simple enough. (We don't use the bread machine overnight for the "wake-up-to-bread" method as the thumping on the counter wakes us up. If you like unattended breadmaking, the KitchenAid won't be as care-free.)
Then I made mashed potatoes. I peeled potatoes, microwaved the slices in water, then dumped them into the KitchenAid bowl with the paddle attachment. Added butter, milk, salt. They came out great.
There are a number of attachments that go right on the front. Since we like homemade bread from home-ground flour, we got the grain mill. We also make our own Italian sausage, and there is a grinder set with a slicer, and sausage-stuffer tubes. So all you need is this one device on the counter to do a lot of things for baking and cooking. There are a lot of attractive colors to choose from, but we got the white one as it goes with any kitchen. We just love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific!!, August 10, 2001
Mary K. Johnson (Apollo, PA United States) - See all my reviews
After burning up several of the lesser expensive mixers, I began my search. I began reading reviews on the Kitchen Aid product lines, liked what I saw, decided to take the plunge, and purchase a Kitchen Aid Mixer. (only exception is mine was white). I had purchased this mixer about 2 years ago, and it works great! It can stand up to the stiffest of doughs with no problem, such as cookie dough, and biroche, and extended mixing times, no laboring what so ever. I was amazed at the quality of their products. I have since upgraded to the 6 qt. epicurian mixer for the larger size, power, etc. especially since I do so much baking and cooking. They also offer a large line of accesories that can be purchased for the mixer(s), which makes this product even more versitile... Only downfall is make sure that once you find a place for the mixers, you leave it there. They are quite heavy, but it is worth it, especially since they are one of the few companies that still make their products from metal, and not plastic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Mixer a Real Man Can Grow to Love!, February 7, 2002
This is the one kitchen appliance I own that I look forward to using every time. If every kitchen appliance was built like this mixer, a toaster would weigh 48 pounds, and a refrigerator would weigh 3000 pounds. This thing is built like a tank!
I own a lot of shop tools that aren't built as heavily as this mixer!
But, "heavy" is useless if the motor's not powerful. This machine has plenty of power. I like to whip up mashed potatoes in it... it makes the best creamed potatoes ever, and it makes the whole process easier -- no more instant potatoes!
When I bought it, I thought I'd use it occasionally. I don't cook every day, but I still use this mixer at least once a week. That's way more than I use any other countertop appliance I've got, and it comes from the fact that the thing simply does what it's supposed to do and it does it very well.
Cleanup is easy too. Just a bowl and a beater... the same as if you'd used a whisk.
Plus... and here's the macho part... when you hit that power lever it's like shifting your mixer into gear! The beaters began to swirl... rounding the first turn and heading into the second at breakneck speed! Whew! Too much excitement for this ol' country boy!
Back to reality... Get one! You'll be glad you did!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Most Used Kitchen Appliance., January 17, 2001
Well after the Fridge and Oven, anyway. The 4 1/2 quart stand mixer is perfect for mixing and kneeding enough dough for two small loaves of bread at the same time. The specifications state that the capacity is 8 cups of flour, and that is the absolute limit. I try to keep most of my two loaf recipes to 7 cups of flour, and I have no problems. The 4 1/2 cup models are a tip-up design, which I find more convenient than the crank up mechanism on the 5 and 6 quart models. This model has 300 watts, which is plenty for bread kneeding. Avoid the less expensive 250 watt model.