5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful work of art!
Just a few weeks before Christmas, I burned up our year old Sunbeam 275 watt stand mixer while making Divinity. It just couldn't handle the job.
Published on January 30, 2001 by M. Fuller

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it used to be
Published on July 24, 2002 by Mariakm

5.0 out of 5 stars A powerful work of art!, January 30, 2001
M. Fuller (Denham Springs, LA USA) - See all my reviews
So in a panic, I began my search for a mixer that wouldn't wimp out at the first sign of sticky, gooey candy recipes. I have always heard great things about Kitchen-Aid mixers, and after looking at the wattage on the smaller varieties, I decide the 6 quart Epicurean (450 Watts) was the one for me. It hasn't disappointed me yet! Cakes, frostings, candies, breads, cookies, meringues; you name it and it tackles it with ease.
It is very large and is simply beautiful to look at, so mine stays on my counter; ever beckoning me to try some new and exciting recipe :).
My only disappointment is the cost of another 6 quart bowl; around ... It would be nice to have an extra bowl on hand but at that price, I can live without it.
If you can, save up a few more dollars and get the Epicurean instead of the smaller Kitchen-Aid stand mixers. If you do any amount of baking/cooking, particularly during the holidays, you will be glad you chose this model.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you have to have the best..., January 16, 2001
I would say that, yes, 90% of the population doesn't really NEED this mixer. But in all honesty, how many things in your house do you really NEED? Aren't most of your purchases out of want and not necessity? If you can be honest enough to admit that, go all the way, be honest enough to admit that you LOVE having the best and since you want the best (hey - you deserve it anyway), save a few extra bucks before purchasing and buy the KitchenAid 6 Quart Epicurean mixer over the 4 1/2 or 5 qt model.
This is more than a mixer, it is a tool for artists. It makes your meringue in minutes, beats your batter beautifully, and stirs your sauce in seconds.
Double batches of dough are NO problem. Make some extra - freeze it. How many times have you WANTED to do that, but the time and effort of making separate batches doubles your time in the kitchen? Not a problem any more.
The only problem I found was that it didn't fit on my countertop! It is a heavy machine and so pretty that I didn't want to store it in a cupboard (not to mention my already limited cupboard space). It gave me an excuse to buy a new sideboard where I store it, so I couldn't really take a star away for that, now could I?
Treat yourself. You'll be glad you did. The extra power and capacity are well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kitchenaid high end stand mixer, December 21, 2000
Douglas K. Peterson (Terre Haute, IN United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenAid KT2651X Epicurean 475 Watt 6-Quart Stand Mixer, White (Kitchen)
These machines will do anything you want them to do. I bought the high end version because I am a relatively serious cook who regularly breaks appliances. I've whopped through food processors and immersion blenders with regularity so I figure the money is well spent. For the cook, get the mixer with the 6 quart bowl. Get an extra bowl - you'll be glad you did. As far as attachments, you must have them all. I have the can opener, the grater, the sausage maker, the pasta extruder, and the juicer. They're great, they're wonderfully engineered, and they work reliably. Just a note on Kitchenaid as a service organization - they're great. About 1/1000 machines goes out the door with some kind of defect. If you get one of those, call Kitchenaid, they'll FedEx a new machine to you overnight. They'll also pay for the shipping on the old one. So, any single women out there want to meet an eligible college professor, mid 30's, who really likes to cook?

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as it used to be, July 24, 2002
Mariakm (NJ United States) - See all my reviews
I was disappointed with my Kitchenaid the day I bought it. When I tried to knead 3 cups of wholewheat flour, the motor seemed to really struggle to do the job, I had to stop the mixer every few minutes in the fear that the motor would die out. While it did an okay job with whipping egg whites or cream and mixing batter, it was a real effort to get dough kneaded, the motor seemed to strain itself (even if I put in all purpose flour that was only half the maximum limit). Also, the dough clung to the dough hook and I had to stop the mixer every couple of minutes to push the dough back into the bowl. I returned the mixer thinking I had got a lemon, meaning to get another Kitchenaid and in the meantime I did some research (am I glad I did it!) and this is what I came up with :
Previously, Kitchenaid mixers were manufactured by Hobart and they came with a lifetime warranty. The quality of those mixers were unsurpassable, they are the mixers that our grandmothers and mothers used for decades and are still running. However, a few years ago, Hobart sold Kitchenaid to Whirlpool and the quality of the Kitchenaid mixer has gone downhill since then. It just isnt the workhorse that it used to be and it comes with only a one year warranty (I guess, with such poor quality, they just cant afford to supply a mixer with a lifetime warranty). If you buy a new Kitchenaid, dont expect it to last for 40+ years like your mother's Kitchenaid mixer or you will be disappointed for sure. The Kitchenaid mixer just isnt what it used to be (metal gears or not).
After my personal experience with a new Kitchenaid and after all that I read about it, I wont ever buy a new Kitchenaid mixer ever, instead, I am on the lookout for an older Kitchenaid manufactured by Hobart or a mixer by another brand (not that there are many alternatives).

5.0 out of 5 stars How to have a relationship with a mixer, June 21, 2001
Buy a KitchenAid mixer. Bring it home. Mix up a cake. Hover over the gleaming, stainless steel bowl, watching the mixing paddle sweep through the batter, and meditate on cakes. Bake your cake. Eat it. Was there ever anything so tender? So moist? So delicious? Pat your KitchenAid lovingly as you replace the bowl and paddle after washing. This could be the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Seriously, though, I never realized the difference a high-quality piece of equipment can make to your cooking and baking until I bought this mixer. It does what I ask it to, never complains, never stalls out on me. It's well designed, it has the power I need, and the accessories I want.
If you're serious about your cooking, spend the money and buy a KitchenAid. You'll have it forever, and you'll always be glad you bought it.

5.0 out of 5 stars How can anyone live without one!!!!, December 24, 2001
Judy Wedekind (Dunedin, FL USA) - See all my reviews
After researching the various Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer models, I decided to buy the Epicurean in Colbalt Blue. I based my decision on the fact that the Epicurean had the 6 qt. stainless steel bowl, 475 watt motor, the inner parts of the mixer are made of metal not plastic and reviews written by current owners! I didn't see the need in buying the Professional model only to get 50 more watts of motor. Since purchasing the mixer, it has made my life easier in the kitchen. It whips up cream cheese spritzer cookies in seconds, imagine creaming butter and cream cheese with a hand mixer, NOT! I have thrown out my electric hand mixer. I thought the mixer might be too bulky in my small kitchen but actually fits right in to my decor. Clean up on the bowl, Flat Beater and Dough Hook are EASY!!! I can't rave enough about this mixer. It is a MUST HAVE in every kitchen!!! One suggestion I would make to all owners and would be owners, get yourself an extra 6 qt mixing bowl.

5.0 out of 5 stars tough machine, December 6, 2001
"soupermom12" (WNY United States) - See all my reviews
I had a Sunbeam Mixmaster & burned up the motor in just a few years. It took me a few weeks to research the available products & decide which mixer I should purchase. The most helpful comparison information I found was on Amazon.com and I decided to purchase this tough machine. It arrived on Monday. My husband had it out of the box and on the kitchen counter before I arrived home from work. It is a BIG machine! After reading the intial "how to use this mixer" information--and figuring out how to put the bowl on!--I made two batches of cookies today. The sugar cookies mixed up quickly, and while they were chilling I just needed to keep playing with my new toy, so I mixed up a double batch of my chocolate chip cookies. In just a few minutes they were ready to bake. It was incredibly quick & easy. Much easier than any other mixer I have used in the past. I am itching to try out the dough-hook next! You will be amazed with the power of this machine. I'm already glad I decided to spend the extra money to get this mixer.

5.0 out of 5 stars I always wanted one of these because they do it all, February 26, 2001
I like to bake bread, especially heavy rye and pumpernickel. I also like to bake cakes and cookies. I did without this device for a while, going to a mostly manual --meaning, no small appliance kitchen. I was fine EXCEPT for missing the KitchenAid.
Nothing makes meringue better, nor doughs nor cake batter. It is a chore to make a cake, especially if home making is not your first career. This device makes it easy.
The action of the paddles is close to hand beating. The variable speed motor goes from slow (for softening butter) to high speed (for whipping egg whites.) So you can do a delicate batter and fold things in at the low speed after having beaten a frothy meringue.
The large size (6 qt) is really best because you can do everything in it, including big loaves of bread. You do have to keep this behemoth on the counter, and a dust cover is recommended because it keeps the grease and dust off of it.
The color options are nice since you keep it out all the time. And keeping it out encourages you to use it. If I had to give up everything but one thing in the kitchen, I'd just keep the KitchenAid.

5.0 out of 5 stars big task - no sweat, December 19, 2000
NonoNanette (Painted Post, New York United States) - See all my reviews
The KitchenAid Epicurean 6-Quart Stand Mixer handles the heaviest batters in a snap. Imagine blending a pound of margarine, 8 0z. of cream cheese, 1/3 cup sour cream and 5 cups of flour in less than 1 minute. Never before!

5.0 out of 5 stars A real investment, December 13, 2000
My mixer is 22 years old and has needed a repair. There are not many products you can say that about. It is worth every penny. You can't make a double batch of chocolate chip cookies or marshmallow sauce without it.