4.0 out of 5 stars Shred away
This is a great shredder. Absolutly the best out there. It is a lousy slicer. Take the bad with the good I guess.

My wife and I shred lots of cheese because pre-shredded cheese has chemicals added that change the taste and chemical properties of the cheese. This attachment works wonderfully for cheese.

A note on disassembly. Some people have...
Published on September 23, 2004 by Joel Schopp

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Shredder, poor slicer
Customer Video Review     Length:: 9:35 Mins
Published on February 15, 2012 by Benjamin E. Hornecker

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Shredder, poor slicer, February 15, 2012
This review is from: KitchenAid RVSA Slicer/Shredder Attachment for Stand Mixers (Kitchen)
Length:: 9:35 Mins

I purchased this with the intention of just using the shredder for cheese; I make a lot of home made pizza and I finally broke my food processor. I am not going to use the slicer but I thought it would be fun to try it out and let you see what it does right out of the box. This video has been edited; I did quite a bit more slicing of vegetables but had to cut it down to make the 10 minute time limit. The only thing that the slicer did right was slice carrots. Everything else was not sliced properly--a lot more shredding than slicing with several of the veggies. The apple came out pretty good and we made some great apple chips from those. I didn't try using the shredders on the vegetables for making hash browns, but I imagine it would have done a decent job.
Things you didn't see on there were onions and cabbage. The slicer did a decent job on the cabbage (also the cabbage removed the orange staining on the housing caused by the carrots) but there were a few large chunks that got stuck between the slicer and the housing. Other than that, it was practically perfect for coleslaw. The onion sliced fairly decent as well, except for a few big chunks. The harder the food was (carrots, apples, radishes, etc.) the better it sliced. The blades of the slicer do not appear to be very sharp which may have a lot to do with the poor slicing performance. I never cared for any kind of food slicer, I feel that its faster overall to just cut by hand with a really sharp knife. Now as far as the cheese shredding, the product does a fairly good job, but I am going to use the fine grater though in the future. I was not too impressed with the coarse grater (it did not grate the cheese into individual pieces but rather larger pieces that looked similar to picket fencing) but the fine grater did a pretty good job and did it quickly. The whole thing is very easy to clean and is dish-washer safe which I am happy about. The cones are fairly difficult to get out but it does get easier with time and if you wrap a towel around your hand and stick it into the cone and twist while applying pressure outwards toward the cone, it will break free easily. I gave this a 3 star because I think the slicer deserves a 1 star and the graters deserve a 4 star. I would only have given the grater a 5 if the coarse one did a better job.

1.0 out of 5 stars What a deception! Kitchen-Hell, July 27, 2006
Nota Bene:
I have tried to contact Kitchen-Aid for over a month, wrote 4 EM via the KitchenAid customer support Website, and beside their promise to answer within 3 business day, I have yet to hear from them.
I'm truly disappointed with their customer support and the RSVA.
Kitchen-Hell: "for the way it's made"

Well,
What a deception!
Probably the worst shredder I ever used.

I purchase this product in the idea that KitchenAid was a good brand (by experience), but I must admit that I have the feeling that I paid $50 for a very, very poor shredder, which should be sold $15 maximum. A $7 Walmart hand shredder makes a better job.

I have the feeling that KitchenAid just ripped me off.

I'm a mechanical engineer and I love to cook, and I'm normally the type to buy one excellent knife instead of 2 poor ones, but this time, I was fooled.
So , let's review the product:

First of all, the cones are not stainless steel, but regular steel, badly chromed.
It means that, one day or another, they will rust.

How can you tell? Use a magnet, if it is not sticking, it's a 18/10 stainless steel. (18% Chrome + 10% Nickel, a TRUE Stainless Steel)
Try with your kitchenaid mixing bowl, and you'll see.
It also means that if you ever try to sharpen the slicing blades, you'll take off the chrome and it WILL rust very quickly.

I'm sorry, but a brand like Kitchenaid should AT LEAST, provides Stainless Steel cones. Especially at 50 bucks a piece. (and I suppose that's why it is stated HOUSEHOLD USE ONLY), not allowed to use regular steel in a restaurant)

The blades are either dull, unevenly sharpened, or not at all(sides). It mashes or puree very well, but the cuts are uneven and messy. I just wanted a slicer, not a musher.
The sharpening on (my) slicing cones is visibly uneven. one side slices, the other not.

The gap between the cones and the body is too big, food goes in, get pushed in by the dull cones to end up in a mess.

The cones rotate unevenly, off balance, which adds to the previous mess.

The length of the blades is smaller than the size of the spout. (the cutting length should be a least the size of the spout, not smaller )
In short: everything that goes is those corners is miserably mashed

So, as a result, in my opinion: buy something else.
Add $20 and buy yourself something decent. Plus, the attachment is so bulky that a food processor will not take much space.
My grade on a 10 scale: 3
Probably the worst shredder I ever used.
And if you ever decide to buy one , please contact me , for $25, you'll have an almost brand new one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Shred away, September 23, 2004
Joel Schopp (Austin, TXStates) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

A note on disassembly. Some people have difficulty getting the cone off the plug (if you own one you know what I'm talking about). The very easy way to remedy this is to remove the cone from the plug before removing the plug from the machine. If you follow this one rule you will have very easy setup and take down.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Food Processor Is Easier, January 9, 2004
I just love Kitchen Aid. I own the stand mixer with every attachment that it comes with, the blender, and I'm about to purchase the food processor to replace my old one that is not a kitchen aid.
This particular attachment has not been very useful for me. I tried to shred and slice onions, and celery but neither of them worked. Carrots on the other hand come out great, but how many carrots can you eat?
I have found that using my food processor works much better I end up chopping every thing, but I can deal with that. The only other thing I could think of to use this for is cheese. However, once it's all shredded the cheese begins to dry out, even if it's in tupper ware. So you have to use the cheese up in about a week.
If you are debating on which accessories to buy here is my advice. I like the Vegetable Strainer best, then the Food Grinder, Rotor Slicer/Shredder, and finally the Pasta Maker Plates. As a side note I use my stand mixer about 2 - 3 times a week, and I only used my accessories once in a blue moon. Save your money and kitchen storage space and use a food processor instead.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the hassle, November 11, 2002
By A Customer
Tried a couple of times to use this attachment and each time ended up slicing and shredding by hand. The construction allows the shredded or sliced food to jam between the outter casing and the drum creating a huge mess and a lot of frustration. I own a few KitchenAid attachments and love them. But this one is staying in the box.

1.0 out of 5 stars a great disappointment, February 22, 2005
The slicer will slice when the material is VERY firm (frozen vegetables) or hard cheeses, firm cucumbers and zuccinis, howver, do not even try to make cole slaw. The blades are DULL. A call to Kitchen Aid service dept. was unsatisfactory inthat they told me the cones wre designed to NOT be sharp and only designed to cut very firm fruit and vegetables.

That's not exactly what it said on the box. I had to buy a food processor to slice/dice softer vegetables and it was not a Kitchen Aid.

1.0 out of 5 stars What the heck did you do Kitchenaid?, June 24, 2012
I have had this accessory set for my Kitchenaid mixer since 1975. It works exactly as it should and still does. I use it especially for softer cheeses that my processor struggles with and for items that are too large for the food processor such as large vegetables and fruits that I want to slice whole.

Since I've had it so long and used it so much, the plastic housing has a crack so I decided to purchase a brand new one.

The new one isn't even worth using. Instead of nice shredded cheese I get a jammed up mess. My fruits are turned to mush! The metal is a different type. My old set of almost 40 years still looks like new compared to this new set. The metal is inferior and the blades are just not sharp.

I returned the new set thinking it was defective, but when I tried new set number 2 it was exactly the same. I guess that's the way Kitchenaid makes them now.

I wouldn't even give this piece of junk to anybody. It is destined for the trash bin. I will keep the new housing to replace mine that is cracked but will continue to use my old discs which still perform perfectly.

Shame on Kitchenaid!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Shredder does a lousy job, February 27, 2009
This review isn't far off from the others: the shredder shreds, but very poorly. I was excited to use it on some vegetables, since I like to make vegetable dumplings a lot (that's why I bought it). I never got past the first vegetable: a bottle-gourd squash. It's about the size of an eggplant with the firmness of a mealy apple. I didn't take the speed above 2, since it felt like I was already putting a strain on the motor, so I never had problems with stuff flying out.

Here's the fatal flaw: the gap between the the cone and the housing is too big, so giant flat chunks just go around until they either squeeze out the space between the front of the cone and the housing (the outer rim you see in the pictures) or get stuck there. I took the cone out and checked it a few times, re-assembling the whole attachment, because I thought perhaps I didn't get it in all the way, but the gap is normal.

It's hard to believe that people have reported the same problem since 2002 on this website and it hasn't been re-engineered. It's getting returned until they come out with a new one.

ADDENDUM: I had to edit this right after I returned to the kitchen!!
Before I began, I washed all the parts before I used them and set the three spare cones aside to dry while I used the shredder. They were standing on end, just as in the picture, for maybe an hour. After grating the vegetable and writing the review, I went back to box it up for return. When I picked up the three cones to dry them totally off, two had already left a rusted puddle of water. The reviews of the metal content are true.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four and a half stars, July 22, 2003
This attachment saves time, elbow grease, and quite possibly your knuckles! It makes quick work of chopping nuts or shredding cheese, carrots, etc. Clean up could not be easier - simply disassemble the attachment's 3 pieces and pop them in the dishwasher. I do recommend keeping a pair of pliers handy because after use, the steel shredder cup is difficult to detach from the center shaft. Although this attachment is awkward to store due to its shape, its benefits far outweigh this minor drawback. I recommend this as an essential additional purchase for anyone who owns a KitchenAid stand mixer.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful addition to your kitchen aid mixer, November 18, 2000
By A Customer
I love using this. I use it for cheese all the time. I find that it is just as easy to clean up as the standard manual graters but is a lot less work and takes less time to use. I also don't seem to get cheese all over the place as I do with the manual ones. I've used it for Onions and carrots, too, and just love it!

Rate and Discover Movies