4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product BUT...lose the mesh.
I bought the KitchenStir Chef's Stir Pan after using a T-Fal Actifry for several months. The KitchenStir has many things to recommend it, it doesn't take up as much space, it's much cheaper, it has variable temperature and stirring controls, and it does a really outstanding job for medium to high temperature cooking.

Cleanup is very easy, and the unit seems...
Published on April 13, 2011 by Jules

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made
Published on September 29, 2011 by Davilyn Eversz

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product BUT...lose the mesh., April 13, 2011
Jules (Cypress, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: KitchenStirï¾TM KS1000 Chef's Stir Pan Automatic Hands-Free Multi-Cooker (Kitchen)

Cleanup is very easy, and the unit seems very sturdy. I have only one negative point to make, and it concerns the metal mesh filter that comes in the lid of the cooker.
You need to get rid of it before you use the lid.

When I opened my box, the metal mesh had bent and broken at the cut edges, leaving several sharp bits of loose metal. I removed the mesh, and thought nothing more of it, until the next time I used the lid, when one last shard fell out into the food I was cooking. It must have gotten caught in the plastic housing, and survived the initial rinse of the lid.

If I had been preparing soup instead of fried potatoes, I wouldn't have spotted it, and it might have been eaten. I hate to think what that would do.

That mesh cost the Chef's Stir Pan a fifth star, because in everything else, it is outstanding! I liked it so well I bought one for my mother. She'll be getting it for Christmas, AFTER I take out the mesh filter and repackage the machine.

So be careful, but enjoy this product.

Update: It's September 2013, and I'm still using both the high-temp and low-temp models. Neither one has had any flaking or peeling of the non-stick coating - (I do hand wash them though, and use only soft silicone utensils in them.) On both of the bases, I have had to apply a silicone grease to the center post a couple of times when they developed a nasty squeak, and that usually lasts for about a year or so before re-greasing is required. But that's about the only maintenance they have needed, and they get run through the wringer at my place.

5.0 out of 5 stars Toffee maker, December 2, 2010
Gerri Kidston (Woodridge, IL, US) - See all my reviews
I am so excited about this product. I have been making homemade toffee for years and at Christmas time I make over 100 batches for friends and family. The hardest part about making toffee is that it is time consuming and you have to stir it constantly. I was leary about ordering the kitchenstir because I had tried another product(stirChef) and because the toffee gets so hot it melted the stir arm. The kitchen stir has a temperature range of up to 400 degrees making it perfect. The first time I used it I was so excited. It works perfectly and lets me do other thing while it is cooking. I have been bragging about it ever since. If you make any type of hard candy you will love it. And the clean up is so easy. I would highly reccommend it to anyone. I have!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I was wrong (updated), February 15, 2011
nsv (The Everglades) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
When I got this, I made a space for it in the back of the pantry, since I'd only be using it for risotto and my spicy hot peanut brittle. Obviously I wanted to store it out of the way the rest of the time.

I was wrong.

My KitchenStir gets used at least every other night here. I put it away this morning after last night's soup, and took it out a few hours later for tonight's stir fry. I've pretty much reached the point where anything that requires stirring gets cooked in this. If I still had a gas stove, I'm not sure this would replace a wok, but for stir fry it's so much better than my flat-bottomed wok on the electric stove. And it's as easy to clean as a regular pot--the pot can be removed from the base and washed normally, and the stir arm lifts out, making it easy to clean.

It comes with one long handle. Remove one of the small handles and replace it with the long one to make it easier to lift with one hand.

My only regret is that I waited for months to get this. (Well, that and the fact that I've got to rearrange the pantry again to move this to the front.)

Update: I've tossed my air popcorn popper. Tonight's recipe: small splash of canola oil, set on high and stir on. Add enough popcorn to cover the bottom. When the popcorn is done popping (less than five minutes,) add salt, a little black pepper, a healthy dose of hot pepper, a little garlic powder. No butter needed. There's not much oil at all, but it's just enough for the spices to stick. I forgot how good simple popcorn could be.

5.0 out of 5 stars From Popcorn to Risotto, to Stir Fry! My extra help in the Kitchen!, December 19, 2010
This product is the next "must have" in the kitchen! It's like having an extra set of hands in the kitchen! I use my stir pan at least 4-5 times a week. Even more during the holidays when I am doing lots of extra baking and nut roasting. This makes a GREAT nut roaster without having to "hand crank" like other nut roasters. But it does so much more! Because of the automated stirring, this also makes GREAT popcorn...you know, the old fashioned kind that our parents used to make over the stove! The difference is, with this, you don't have to do the "shaking" of the pot when it starts to pop! If you know what Risotto is, I would buy this for that purpose alone! Risotto is an Italian rice that requires constant stirring to release and "draw out" the starch, giving it a creamy texture. In finer restaurants, Risotto is made to order and it usually takes 30-40 minutes. With this little machine, I can make fresh Risotto any time my family wants it because I don't have to take the time to stand over the stove stirring for 30-40 minutes! I also regularly make stir fry in my stir cooker. There are so many stir fry recipes out there! One of our favorites is Cashew Chicken. It is so simple to make in this product! I use it for SO MANY things: scrambled eggs, oatmeal, saute'ing veggies, Caramel corn, Kettle corn! No more burned or charred food because I didn't get back to the stove soon enough to stir it! This pan does the labor for me so I can do other things in the kitchen!

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have!, February 8, 2012
OUT OF BOX EXPERIENCE
The device was well packaged by the manufacturer to protect against damage, and the unpacking process was a pretty straightforward. The included recipe booklet and alternate handle are welcome additions.

CRAFTSMANSHIP, FIT & FINISH and MATERIALS
The stir pan is surprisingly light given its overall size. Not so light as to feel cheap or 'disposable', but light enough that most anybody could stow or lift it to counter height without issue. Materials are mostly well chosen, with plenty of real metal, and glass. Some of the plastics are overly glossy and feel a bit on the cheap side, and the labeling of knobs and switches is on a metallic sticker that seems a bit low-rent. That being said I don't think durability of the device will suffer as a result. Mechanical switches, knobs and levers give the stir-pan a decidedly old school "solid state" feel. The overall aesthetic is no-nosense, function over form. Not the prettiest appliance, it reminds me of laboratory equipment or a piece of commercial/industrial gadgetry. I must admit that is oddly charming in it's own way.

USING THE DEVICE
I was able to put the stir-pan to use immediately without referring to any instructions (not advising you do the same, just pointing out that assembly and usage are fairly self-explanatory). It made wonderfully simple work of a beef stir fry. I picked up some pre-sliced raw stir-fry ready beef from the supermarket, along with a bag of asian medley type frozen vegetables, and some stir fry sauce. Dinner was done so quickly, and with so little effort it was amazing. Literally as easy as switching it on, dumping in the ingredients, and then letting it do its thing.

I have not needed to add oil to anything I've cooked so far. I love it more than my microwave. Seriously. After the detachable pan has cooled sufficiently, you can put it straight in the fridge to store leftovers, and then warm them back up to perfection by reattaching the pan to the cooking base and letting it do its thing again.

CAPACITY
Capacity is ample when cooking for 2-3 adults, beyond that I think you may need to explore more capacious options.

CLEANUP
The removable non-stick pan, stirrer, and glass lid clean up easily in the sink or dishwasher, and drips and spills wipe cleanly from the metal surfaces. It hasn't shown itself to be an especially "messy" device, but I would be sure to keep the area around the controls wiped down so that crud doesn't accumulate around the switches and knobs.

IT'S FOR YOU IF...
- You want mealtime convenience without having to resort to the microwave or take-out
- You are cooking for yourself, a couple or small family
- You want to incorporate healthier cooking techniques into your lifestyle

THINK TWICE IF...
- You are primarily cooking for a larger family or group

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Customer Service, December 7, 2011
I just received this item couple days ago. I haven't had a chance to use it yet. When I received it, I noticed there was a little gap between the lid and the pan. I called Kitchen Stir. They just asked me couple questions in order to understand about the gap. Then, they told me they will send a replacement immediately without giving me a hard time. I feel that they do really stand behind their product. Unlike other places, they would give you a hard time before correcting the problem.

2.0 out of 5 stars Poorly made, September 29, 2011
Davilyn Eversz (Landers, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I bought this from their website. I found that the indicated temperatures were off. The first time I used it the stirrer scraped off the teflon on the bottom of the pot. This COULD BE a wonderful product but I suspect in an effort to keep the purchase price down they compromised quality. If they used the same Teflon that Breville has on their wok, and a silicone scraper - this could be a gift from heaven. And if people are wondering if I was using something in the pot that caught under the stirrer - no - I was pasteurizing milk. Just milk in the pan, nothing more.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Busy Cook's "Right Hand", October 1, 2011
There is nothing as handy as an appliance that doesn't need constant monitoring and cooks in a flash. If you can chop food, you can use this appliance! Although the Teflon prevents the food from browning (or maybe not, if you turn the "stir feature" off), it's nice to drop everything in and walk away--well, not out of the kitchen but to do other things--return in a handful of minutes and it's done.

It's the ideal cooker for a man, or woman for that matter, who only knows how to chop vegetables and cube meat. I'm even thinking of it for my college nieces and nephew. The included recipe book offers examples as a guide to assembly and cooking times. One warning: garlic burns in a flash, so have a care for when you add it. The more I use the Kitchen-Sir the more I wonder how I lived without it!

As an aside, you might want to consider the "Pasta Boat" for the side dishes, like rice and pasta. That's another cooker that works unattended, only in the microwave. Fill it with cold water, add the pasta or rice, turn on the power, and walk away. It even has a draining lid. It's fast, easy to use and clean. You can have the whole meal cooked in two "dishes."

One more comment, have everything prepped before you even start the KitchenStir, because things happen fast! The whole cooking process can be completed in minutes.

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece...of...crap!! NOT worth it's cost..., December 1, 2011
I don't know why there are so many good reviews for this product because, in my opinion, it is an overpriced hunk of plastic/metal junk. You would expect for a hundred dollars to receive something of decent quality, but no. The silver label on the front is exactly that, a label. It is made out of some type of thin metal that curls when this thing heats up and the adhesive isn't strong enough to keep it attached. How about ditching the label idea and permanently placing the selections on the body of this?? The label on mine was originally glued on crooked so it looks extremely cheap. The stir arm is made out of hard plastic, so it scratches the bottom of the pan...and no I didn't put anything in to get trapped under it and cause the scratching...the plastic on the arm is just too hard...it should have been coated in silicone. The arm also isn't even long enough to reach the perimeter of the pan. And the size is WAY too small to make anything for a family...the description lacks the size of the pan, the box claims to be 3.25 qt...but I find that to be a stretch...I can fit 8 cups of liquid in it comfortably, and since a cup is equal to .25 quarts, that would make this only 2 quarts...TINY!! Yeah, yeah...this pan heats up quickly, but it's temperature selector is WAY off. This thing is either HOT, or simply warm. And when it is hot, it is EXTREMELY hot...so hot that you can smell the plastic housing melting...yes, it has a lot of plastic on the bottom part of the pan, where it gets extremely hot. Here is the most retarded thing about the pan...inside the pan, on both sides, there is a raised line that goes from the top to the bottom...these raised lines make manual stirring impossible as you have to scrape the side, scrape the sides of the raised area, then continue onto the other side. Pans are meant to be smooth on the inside so you can scrape in one motion, not scrape half of the pan at a time because there is a bump preventing you from going all the way around. This is really hard to describe, so I will post a picture to try and show you what I am talking about. I don't know what I am more mad at...the makers of this thing, the seller for charging almost $100, or my husband for paying that plus the insane shipping charge. On top of that, I have to pay to send the POS back.

1.0 out of 5 stars No luck with this product, September 1, 2012
Philippe Cand "Philippe" (Scottsdale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
I tried a few times to use this product and I must conclude that it just make a mess.
I do not like it and I want to return it, it is a food waster.
Example, cut potatoes in small dice size and put them in auto mode in this device.
You may get mushy burned on a side potatoes and with lot of fumes. This is ridiculous.

Rate and Discover Movies