Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on July 19, 2013
This cookbook is supposed to be diabetes friendly (it says so on the cover). I am not a diabetic, however, I follow a low carb lifestyle, and I frequently use diabetic cookbooks because they are low in sugar (and therefore carbs as well). Imagine my surprise when I read the recipes, and over and over the ingredients are fat free. Fat free cream cheese, reduced fat cheddar, fat free sour cream, fat free milk, reduced fat chocolate chip cookies!... reduced fat biscuit mix. The problem with these ingredients is this: WHEN THE MANUFACTURER TAKES OUT THE FAT, THEY HAVE TO ADD SUGAR TO MAKE THE TASTE PALATABLE.

Skim milk has much more sugar in it than 1%, 1% has more than 2%, and 2% has more sugar than whole milk. Heavy cream has the least amount of sugar in it. This cookbook is full of sugar. Low fat is not low sugar. The recipes also call for corn syrup, white sugar, brown sugar, honey. A recipe for blueberry banana yogurt parfaits has 64 grams of carbs for 1 serving, including 45 grams of Sugar...that's rediculously high for a diabetic meal with only 1/4c granola, 1c blueberries and 1/2 c banana yoghurt. The food may taste good, but the ingredients aren't the best thing for you.
77 comments114 of 123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 24, 2013
I bought this book for a few reasons. First, I remember watching Mr Food fondly on TV. Second, sometimes we need recipes that are good, filling and fast. Third, I try to eat healthy and diabetic recipes are healthy. I watch my sugar and will not become diabetic; so I made some changes to my diet that significantly reduced my numbers and I was taken off triglyceride medication! As a result of reading this book I signed up for the Mr Food newsletters on line. There is a diabetic newsletter too and I've used a few of those recipes; like Lemon Garlic Hummus, which was really tasty! These recipes are simple, use every day ingredients and are easy to prepare.
on April 9, 2013
I'm diabetic and have had quite a few so called diabetic-friendly cookbooks but none as superior as this one. What's great is that the ingredients are listed in an easy-to-read area; likewise the directions and the many photos are outstanding. Haven't decided what to try first but everything looks delicious..definitely a winner in my book...to all diabetics out there, the saying "try it, you'll like it" applies. P.S. I did make one dessert & it was very good...thinking of making the chicken pot pie next.
on May 6, 2013
This is a great book. The recipes I have tried so far have been excellent. I like that there are a variety of choices per category.
on March 22, 2014
I was looking for something with less sugar not Splenda and the like. They are not healthy substitutes. I also did not want low fat stuff. New studies show that lower fat items will include more sugar to make it taste good. I will be able to use some of the recipes and put in real milk and real butter and possibly use less sugar. I'll have to experiment.
As someone who has a diabetic grandmother that I have been preparing meals for over the past 7 years it was great to find a book that not only caters to that need but gives you options that are quick, fun and delicious. HELLO TASTE, GOODBYE GUILT is one of those books that is sure to have you not only excited about the kitchen but looking forward to the meals you are going to be able to cook.

I had the opportunity of interviewing Mr. Food himself recently and one of the things he said that really struck me about the book is that there really is something for everyone. The book does give you the choices for those who have to be aware of what they eat, but it also gives something for individuals whether they are diabetic or not.

From appetizers, breakfast and lunch items as well as desserts, you will be hard-press to not find something that you can enjoy and want to share with your family and friends. Not only are the recipes great but the way they are presented is something that is pleasing to the eye as well.

Eating healthy has to be a priority for all of us, but that doesn't mean we have to sacrifice taste along the way. In the book MR. FOOD TEST KITCHEN'S HELLO TASTE, GOODBYE GUILT we see what happens when we are open to life's answers.
on March 23, 2014
this was a disappointment. I am recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes so I am looking for ways to increase my healthy diet needs. this will not work for me. there are recipes in this book that ask for margarine which I will not use. and artificial sugar which I also will not use. if he had included information about how to substitute natural ingredients for those things it would have been helpful. margarine isn't even a real food, according to things that I have read about nutrition.. so I don't know what I will do with this book, but it will not find a place in my bookcase.
0Comment15 of 18 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2013
This is a very tasty healthy collection of recipes that have something everyone in the family loves. I have made several to the delight of my family.
on December 28, 2013
My husband has taken over a lot of the cooking in our household. He loves this cookbook. Likes trying new things. There is only the two of us but this cookbook is still perfect. Would highly recommend it. I also purchase quite a few things from QVC. The price on Amazon was much better. Would highly recommend this cookbook.
on May 5, 2014
So after learning to eat right and losing 100 lbs, I've finally accepted the fact that I simply cannot eat the way I used to - mac cheese loaded with fatty cheeses and canned milk, etc. So Mr. Food has developed recipes that still tickle my tastebuds but for alot less calories and fat. I still can't eat all I would like to eat of these dishes (moderation please), but I can enjoy them 1/2 cup at a time and not feel guilty! He also inlcudes many very healthy recipes - guilt free dishes with grilled chicken, fresh veggies, delicious spices to kick up the flavor. Honestly, when you learn to eat foods like this you will find them to be extremely pleasing to the palate and favorable to the waistline as well. Enjoy!