Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 16, 2010
Other reviewers have commented that this is nothing but black contact paper. This is true - it IS black contact paper. When you first take it out of the package, you feel it and think that it feels NOTHING like a chalkboard and that there is NO WAY ON EARTH that it is going to take chalk well. Disappointment and resentment may well up inside you. But take heart! This stuff is actually fantastic, and takes chalk like a CHARM.

There are a couple of secrets to getting it to work just like a regular chalkboard. The first is quite intuitive: make sure you apply it carefully to a very smooth surface. I don't think a textured wall will work well. Alas, I have quite textured walls in my house, and I wanted to use it as wallpaper for a small section of my daughter's room. Well, I scrapped that idea and applied it to a large piece of masonite board (you know, the stuff that is often used for pegboard, but without the rows of holes). This masonite board (Hardboard Masonite Panel- 18x24x1/8 Inch) is VERY smooth on both sides (although the stuff you get at the hardware store is often very rough and fiberous on the other side). Proper application should also include taking the time to remove any bubbles that arise under the surface; the paper is slightly repositionable, or you can use the side of a credit card or ever-popular and-extraordinarily-useful-for-all-sorts-of-things scraper such as Nylon Pan Scrapers (Set of 2), to gently (GENTLY!) rub the bubbles out.

The second secret is less intuitive. When you first try to draw on the stuff with chalk, it will seem like it is not working at all. The chalk might barely show up, or it may not draw smoothly. More disappointment and resentment may flood you. HOWEVER, most chalkboards come with instructions that say to color (with chalk, obviously) all over the board and then erase it before the first time you try to use it "for real". Do this! Rub with the side of the chalk (evenly and lightly will do it) all over the board - and then erase it using a regular felt chalkboard eraser like the Alex Felt Chalk Board Eraser with Wooden Grip, DRY paper towel, or similar. For reasons I cannot explain, this makes chalkboards "take" the chalk much more smoothly. You may have to repeat this step one more time, but after this, I think you will find that the chalkboard paper does in fact work JUST LIKE a REAL CHALKBOARD!! Yay! (They call this step "curing" the chalkboard, and it is necessary for ALL chalkboards, if you really want to prep the surface well - go ahead, google "curing chalkboard" and see what you get!)

Your chalkboard paper should now work beautifully. Mine works with all sorts of colored chalks, such as Colored Chalk (16), or even Colored Drawing Chalk 24-Stick Pack, or similar. Even regular sidewalk chalk, like Melissa & Doug 10 Jumbo Triangular Chalk Sticks.

Or, if your chalkboard is for your child(ren), surprise him/her/them with I Can Draw People (Usborne Playtime),I Can Draw Animals (Kid Kits), or similar kits from Usborne, which include a nifty instruction book and jumbo colored chalks.

So, to sum up, for perfect results from your chalkboard contact paper:

1) Apply it carefully to a very smooth surface, being sure to get the bubbles out.
2) Cure it by coloring it all over with the side of a piece of chalk and then erasing it, two times, with a DRY eraser.

Now ENJOY! After this, I would be very surprised to hear that you were not completely satisfied with the product. (And I do NOT work for the company that sells it, either!) :-)

X*X*X*X* EDITED REVIEW JANUARY 23, 2012 X*X*X*X*X

Thank you everyone for your ever-so-kind comments about my review. I am so glad that you have found it helpful over the past year and I hope that the review continues to be of assistance in the future. As of now, our chalkboard is still "up and running" so to speak, and although it is a little the worse for the wear (doesn't erase quite as well as it once did, has some spots that are difficult to write on) it is still a source of amusement and joy to my now-six-year-old. It gets heavy use with a variety of chalks, and has occasionally been misused with crayons, but it has held up very well. I still highly recommend it, at least for the use to which I have put it - a child's chalkboard.

I am writing this revision also to let future readers know that I will not be following the comments on this review anymore as of now. I love knowing that my words have been helpful, and hope they continue to be so. Good luck with whatever chalkboard you decide to go with!

X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*X*
4646 comments| 1,805 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 14, 2012
This is really a terrific product I purchased at Amazon. I used it on my extra chest freezer to keep an inventory. Now we don't have to dig through to see what we have and we don't have to tape a list to the top only to have to keep writing it over and over. I also put a piece inside my kitchen cabinet for notes/ grocery list. I absolutely love this product!http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KKMO90/ref=cm_cr_rev_prod_title
review image
55 comments| 96 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
So I tried putting this stuff over a mirror that I took out of a pretty frame that I painted white, then put it back into the frame.. no matter how much I cured it with the side of the chalk and then erased it, it would NOT hold chalk, it just slipped around.. Got really disappointed.. then I thought it might be the chalk (crayola) cause it was pretty smooth and not the really chalky stuff.. I even ripped the paper trying to cure it so much and getting frustrated. Then I took the rest of the roll and put the paper on my fridge door and inside some cabinets.. and it worked GREAT! I guess the mirror was TOO smooth a surface? Anyway, as far as the bubbles.. I spent like an HOUR trying to get the bubbles out of the one I put on the mirror, but the others ones were a lot easier after I developed a better technique.. I kind of just gently set the paper on the surface without sticking it down, and then used a credit card to make vertical downward motions sticking it down as i went. Then I just pulled up and restuck the ones with bad bubbles, and then worked on the little bubbles after. I didn't get all of them out but it was a much faster method with a better result. Here is the fridge![...]
on August 14, 2012
I wanted a chalkboard surface for my dresser that was easy to apply and worked well. This contact paper was just what I was looking for - the guidelines on the back were helpful for cutting the right size, and I was able to apply it without any bubbles. It did take about 10-15 minutes to get it perfect and to smooth it out. Then I prepped it with a coat of chalk and whipped it down and started writing. I haven't been disappointed yet. It does take a little pressure from the eraser to remove the chalk, but it does erase well. Overall, I would recommend this product and I'm planning on putting it on some more surfaces.
review image review image
on November 29, 2015
I bought 4 of these and put them up across a wall in our playroom. I decorated the top portion for my kids. It worked great in that the chalk wipes right off with a damp paper towel. The next morning, the "big reveal" turned into a HUGE disappointing letdown... literally. All four pieces lay in a CRUMPLED HEAP ON THE GROUND, all stuck together, unfixable, unusable, unsalvageable. In fact, when I tried to gently peel one away, it ripped instantly. I took so much time lining them up perfectly and then hearing them inch by inch to ensure there were no bubbles. It was sooth and perfect. Wasted an hour doing this. So so so disappointed.
on January 19, 2008
I was worried when I purchased this that I would end up with a flimsy piece of contact paper that would either resist chalk or soak it in too well, resulting in permanent lines. Neither worry came to pass... this paper is awesome! Much faster than painting, much cheaper than a traditional board, and easy to cut and place. I've been toying with several diff. shapes and I think my kids will enjoy this purchase for years to come!
22 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 20, 2012
I address some of the issues in my images I posted that include notes. I highly advise another set of hands to assist in applying the contact paper - especially on larger surfaces like a sandwich board. I haven't erased much, but did a test and I'm pleased. It's A LOT easier to erase with a damp towel on the contact paper than it is with the chalkboard paint. And I'm noticing the "ghosting" on the chalkboard paint isn't disappearing as well anymore. (This is unfortunate since I really like the gold picture frame - I might have to repaint it?) Bubbling might not be as much an issue if I had someone to help apply the contact paper on the larger surface (sandwich board). So far, I'm pleased. All the images I posted were either glass or plastic surfaces that the contact paper was applied on. And I agree that the price fluctuates. I originally bought the first one for $6.79 and I saw it jump to $9+. I'm waiting for the price to go down again.
review image review image review image
on October 7, 2007
This is the cheapest way to convert a wall into a blackboard. However, this is basically just a sticky sheet of vinyl, so you will feel the bumps on the wall as you write. Still, that's not too much of a problem, and the value is overall very good.
22 comments| 102 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2012
works just like chalkboard and you can customize the size to put it anywhere! we stuck 1 long sheet on our kitchen cabinet for grocery lists and we also cut out small labels to put on storage jars.
on September 10, 2015
I love, love, love this contact paper. I sticked it on one side of a drawer we have in our homeschool, it took me about 5min, no bubbles if you do it slowly (and you can stick/unstick it). I started at the top, sticked about 1 inch and tape it with blu-tape and rolled it down little by little, at the end, just "iron" it with the palm of your hands and that's it!
I use it with our chalk markets and it erases easily with a wet towel, I haven't tried with a regular chalk eraser yet.
review image review image review image review image