Back to Business Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon St Lucia Bose SoundTouch 130 Amazon Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Valentine's Day Cards Create an Amazon Wedding Registry Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now Sale

on December 4, 2012
Biggest problems with this is the resistance touch screen. Very hard to get exactly the right pressures for clicking. That means on a web page where everything is clickable, it messes up when you try to scroll the page and thinks you double clicked.
I solved it by buying a cable and cheap keyboard/case $8.00 to use the arrow keys on the keyboard when I need to scroll and can't use the screen.
Also doesn't have the Google play store. Most apps can be gotten elsewhere, Amazon or slideme.
I have tested connecting to USB flash drives, usb hub, usb keyboard and all work OK. Have tried the hdmi video output, and it does work, but rather clunky and difficult to make the switch to local screen vs hdmi output. Both won't stay on at the same time, so you have to guess on the local screen where to touch/click while looking at the big hdmi output screen.
It has youtube, gmail, email, facebook apps and more. Can find more online and the download install seems to work fine.
I added a Nook and Kindle app as well as another generic book reader app and they work fine. The Internet connection is easy and although a little slow, it is OK for most things.
I haven't crashed it yet after several months of use. Both my son and I have one. He uses it as a book reader and likes that. I use it for portable access to the internet and my activities there.
I bought mine at a major discount store that was offering it for $40 after rebate. Heck of a deal. If I had to pay $100 or more, I might look for one that had a camera included.
I added a 32 gb micro SD card--works fine. The sound is not very high, but with earphones it is fine. The battery lasts 2-3 hours in full brightness and wifi on.
It is not terribly bright screen, but for indoors it is fine.
Youtube works OK, maybe just a slight bit slow, but mostly fine.
Have no trouble connecting wifi at public places.
22 comments16 of 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2012
This was my first tablet purchase and I'm very pleased with it. I didn't realize that the Google app store doesn't support it, however the Amazon android app store does. I use primarily as an e-reader and download books from my local library. It works well for that purpose.
on January 26, 2013
Don't expect $500 performance from a $50 tablet. But it works fine, for many tasks.
The included App store is called "Slide Me," and it has lots of good stuff, although not as many as the official Google Play store. I installed the Amazon Kindle app, and the Nook app, so I can read all my Kindle & Nook books. Works fine for this. That's mostly what I've been using this tablet for, works great, allows me to just have one unit for both my Nook and my Kindle books. Has Google Android 4.0, so I can run both at the same time, switch back & forth, if I want.
Pandora installed fine, works fine. The YouTube app works great, and this tablet has Adobe Flash 11, which even an iPad does not.
It comes with a stylus, which I've used some, but it works ok with my fingertip. Not as responsive to touch as my Galaxy tablet, but the Samsung costs about 4x as much! The Klu is very light, but that means the battery is not very big, so if you have the WiFi on all the time, it will need charging often. I generally download some books, then have the WiFi off while reading.
on July 23, 2013
My first tablet purchase and I'm very pleased with it. Amazon android app-store offers all the apps you need . I use it as an e-reader, download books from my local library for free, check all my e-mail social network sites. It is very handy, especially during business travel - no more laptop!!
on February 10, 2014
cheap is right keep in mind you get what you pay for im going to donate mine to underprivliged may they can figure it out
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2012
Just started using this "tablet" today.
Runs a non-Google Play marketplace with very limited apps.
After searching for a work around and got Google Play down loaded, it still didn't work.
Spend a few dollars more and get a real tablet, not this cheap crappy thing.
Mine is going back first thing tomorrow.
on December 25, 2012
What a waste of time and money.... I bought two for kid's gifts and both have a crappy touchscreen, lots of dropout Wi-Fi, and dismal performance for anything. I gotta find the receipts to take them back or just drill a hole in them and send directly back to Curtis...
on January 29, 2013
There's no comparison between the Curtis Klu and the Kindle Fire. To be fair, I did have the Kindle Fire first and was used to how it operates.

Pros:
Cheap.

Cons:
- Difficult to use the touch screen. You have to use the right amount of pressure.
- Difficult to figure out how to download apps. I suggest checking other people's comments to find the best way to get apps.
- Difficult to use the web on it.
- Cannot charge by USB. (Per supervisor and it doesn't work on mine.)

Customer Service depends on the rep that you get:

ISSUE: Called to find out how to download apps.
- The rep was friendly and got me started on the basic app downloads.

ISSUE: Won't charge via USB. (Wall charger broke so couldn't use that.)
- The first rep was a nightmare. He sounded rude and talked very abruptly and harsh. He demanded my contact info and told me he couldn't tell me anything w/o the date of purchase. Really? Can't tell purchasers what the warranty is w/o it. Thank goodness that I had to call back with the exact purchase date in order to find out if it's covered under warranty so that I hopefully have a chance to talk to someone else!
- Next call, I got a polite guy who asks for info instead of demanding it. However, he couldn't help me. He said the charger wasn't available until 2/05 and I had to call back then. No option to pre-order it. I asked for a supervisor, was told they were all busy, so I told him I'd hold. The supervisor pretty much said the same thing:

SUMMARY: User Guide for LT7052 states: "USB is for transferring data but also for charging." But, apparently the guide could have a typo. Or, it could mean the the cord can be used for charging - it just won't charge the Klu. So, I could buy a new wall adapter for $15 or send the whole unit back for $7. But, how am I supposed to know if the problem is w/ the Klu or if it's a USB charger issue? Since it worked while we had the wall adapter and until the battery ran down, I will try a charger. But of course, I must call back in Feb. I could not find the correct charger anywhere online. I asked the supervisor if I could use the charger for the LT7033 on the LT7052. He said if it fits, then yes. So, will probably get from eBay.
- The good thing about customer service is that you get a person right away and no automated system (except for the initial greeting).

I highly recommend that you stay away from the Klu. I have had much better service with Amazon and I love the Kindle Fire. (They have a charger issue also but at least they replace theirs.) Or, try other name-brand tablets like the Nook. Klu is not worth it - even at a great sale.
11 comment1 of 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse