Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Brett Dennen Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Outdoor Recreation SnS

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 19, 2009
I've had several of the regular Klean Kanteen bottles which are great, but I always disliked the fact that the liquid didn't stay cold for long unless the tote was used, and the bottle would sweat quite a bit. I didn't like the tote because it smelled odd and made the bottle awkward to set down on tables. When I saw the insulated bottles I bought 2 of the 20 oz size, one with just the regular loop cap and one with the cafe cap. I have to disagree with what everyone has said about both caps. I love them both! I use the bottle with the loop cap the most, and it keeps my juice cold all day, 9+ hours at work, even without adding ice. The cafe cap doesn't leak for me, either out the opening or around the seal. Of course, it does state that the opening you drink from isn't supposed to be leak-proof, it says it right on the packaging. I don't upend my bottle, but if I did, I might get a few drips at the most. These are great as travel mugs for coffee, they even fit in my car's cup holders. I don't think most travel mugs are completely leak-proof anyway, especially if you can drink out of the cap. Keeps coffee hot for the whole day, just as stated. Would also be great for smoothies or soup. I plan to buy a couple of the 12 oz size for my lunch bag. Another excellent product from Klean Kanteen!

Update 10-8-13
I just wanted to say that these bottles are still going strong after daily use, almost 4 years later! We have had absolutely no problems with them, and my husband even puts them in the dishwasher despite the fact that you are not supposed to. I'm back to buy another one!
11 comment|222 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 13, 2010
As a student, I feel that I am always on the go and always craving coffee. This bottle is almost magical in its ability to preserve the temperature of your drink (hot or cold), and maintain the taste (no plasticy aftertaste). This is obviously because of the vacuum insulation, and stainless steel construction, respectively, along with supurb build quality.

I will now speak specifically about cold and hot liquids in the bottle, as well as a lid (something that is very important to a bottle.

Cold: This is what it seems to handle the best. Ice stays frozen for hours (seems like up to 10 or 12 hours sometimes), and ice water will stay pleasantly cold for nearly 20 hours. I put water with ice in the bottle around 3:00 one afternoon, and it was still quite cold the following morning around 10:00. Another advantage of keeping very cold water in this bottle versus a non-insulated klean kanteen is the fact that it does not sweat.

Hot: Coffee from my keurig coffee machine stays at a delectible temperature for up to 5 hours after brewing with this bottle. With a traditional coffee pot, or a french press (where the temperature is usually higher than a keurig's serving temperature) would last longer. I have not tested this personally.

Lid: This is the weakest part of the bottle by far. There are two things about the lid which bothers me quite a bit. Firstly, the lid is not supposed to be fully submerged in water when washing. Water "under pressure" can leak into the lid and have no hopes of getting out. Secondly, and partially due to the difficulty of cleaning caused by the first point, the lid seems to smell strongly of whatever you have been drinking. This is most evident with coffee. Otherwise, the lid keeps a tight seal when on the bottle, and leaves you feeling comfortable tossing the bottle in your bag with a computer and notebooks, etc.

Summary:

This bottle is great, and does as it advertises quite brilliantly. It handles hot and cold liquids well, and makes taking your drinks wherever you go easy and pain-free. Unfortunately, the lid made a nearly-perfect bottle not entirely perfect in the end.
33 comments|121 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2009
OK...it was a little hard to spend this much on a water bottle, but I am glad that I did. Water stays cold a long time & I am sure that a heated drink would stay warm just as long. No metal taste at all! Easy to clean. I'm glad that I spent a little more $$$ and purchased the insulated Klean Kanteen. UPDATE: After four YEARS of using this bottle I appreciate it even more. I live in Florida & this bottle keeps my water cold even AFTER it has sat in my HOT car for several hours!
11 comment|91 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 11, 2013
I contacted Klean Kanteen via email before purchasing to ask if they had improved the lid/seal problem. I eventually heard back from Ricardo at KK but not before I went ahead and purchased this. His reply :

"Hello Bill,
Our insulated kanteens feature a leak-proof cap as the standard option. It uses a food grade silicone gasket which is made to be removable for cleaning but can sometimes pop out after wear and tear resulting in leakage if unnoticed. We provide complimentary gaskets if requested. We do recommend changing them out every six months or so. Our café cap was designed as a convenient alternative to the leak proof cap and is not leak-proof. We are working on leak-proof option for our café cap, which should be released later this year, although no specific date has been established."

The second time I used this it leaked out, ruining a shirt. Instead of getting mad, I wrote back to Klean Kanteen with some suggestions that would improve the design and reliability. My response is as follows:

"Hi Rodrigo,

Thanks for the reply. I purchased this item before I got your reply and I have to tell you it has leaked 2x and messed up a good shirt with coffee. I am a bit miffed about this but instead of getting mad I will contend with some suggestions for this item. As an engineer, I naturally look at design strength and weakness. To note: removing the seal for cleaning and / or inspection just invites leakage issues. The fact that this needs to be replaced every 6 months indicates a bad design problem as well.

The flaws with this product can be corrected two ways:

1. During manufacturing, lengthen the stainless steel at the lip and roll press it back to create a flat or wider rounded top lip to contact the silicone. Flat would be the preference and could be more easily done during manufacturing and it would be easier to make it precise. Then use a thicker longer lasting round silicone O-ring seal for durability and to provide a complete seal. The semi sharp lip will cut into the silicone in due time as is and removing for cleaning just damages the seal.
2. Ditch the current stainless/plastic combo lid. The flat silicone seal and the stainless insert is a bad and unsanitary design out of the gate. With such a thin stainless lip and a flat seal, any variance in precision with the seal or the lip will guarantee a leak as I have already experienced. Go to complete stainless top or at least have the inside of the cap completely stainless and have the plastic thermal-molded to the outside of the new stainless cap. Sort of half and half looking on the outside. Use a good thick flat silicone seal inside the cap.

If KK wants to remain a dominate contender in this product market, then incorporate the best of both suggestions and you will have a long lasting winner and eliminate negative reviews of this product. I ask you to pass this on to Michelle and Jeff in hope that they will take this as corrective criticism. I'd love to recommend this product with the enthusiasm I have for other KK products but unfortunately, I can't. I've got a cheap 24oz Stanley ( China made too ) that has never leaked on me with all the abuse I can throw at it. "

To all who wish to purchase this, I would wait to see if they improve the design. The standard leakproof lid is NOT leak proof. It is also unsanitary after time because you must remove the stainless insert and seal to clean it. That compromises the thin seal.
If you have to have something right now you can try the 24oz Stanley version. It does not leak, at least with me it has not and I'm very rough on equipment. Klean Kanteen has a good product line. This item has potential and will be a top runner if they improve the design to keep it from leaking with the standard lid and the cafe cap. I don't have the cafe cap. I hope this helps Amazon shoppers.
44 comments|123 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 16, 2013
After having read the glowing reviews on these, and being a customer with 9 regular Klean Kanteens, I decided to get the insulated kanteens (in fact I purchased 4). I was a little worried because there were some reviews that noted that the insulated kanteens leak, but there seemed to be so many others that reported that they didn't have this problem, so I decided to take the plunge and purchase these. BOY, am I upset that I did. It appears that if you put hot liquids into the kanteens, they leak like crazy. They only work with cold liquids. With each insulated kanteen averaging about 30 dollars each, I just threw away $120. I bought 4 because my husband and I like to bring coffee and tea to work. For the first 2 weeks, they were fine and did not leak. But then after a while, they leaked like crazy. I had to wrap each bottle with a paper towel and then but the bottle into a ziploc baggie in order for it not to ruin on work bag. All 4 have leaked. By the time we get to work, the paper towels are soaked with coffee and tea. I complained to Klean Kanteen bc I was just so upset after having spent 120 on these bottles. They asked whether the rubber ring around the lid is still in place -- yes, they were for my lids. Then, in a follow up email, they stated that it is unlikely that the bottles would leak if the gasket (rubber ring) is still in place -- UM, ok. Thanks for telling me that I'm not experiencing the problem that I am actually experiencing with your product. They then want you to spend your own money to send the bottles back to them so that they can "evaluate" the problem. Totally a waste of time and money. Customer service on this was also useless. Save your money on the insulated ones unless you are going to use it only for cold liquids.
on May 18, 2014
I bought this to use at work, school, outdoors, traveling etc. I was under the impression that they made a sports cap for the thermo wide mouth models. I was wrong. I ended up not using for a while because of the lack of a sports cap. I recently tried using the Sigg sports cap and it fits perfect, no leaks, and in my opinion better than their sports cap 3.0. Now this is my favorite goto bottle for everything. I uploaded an image under the customer photos for reference.
review image
on September 22, 2010
It keeps things cold all day long, but the lid system needs to be improved.

If you carry a full bottle of iced coffee to work as I do, you have to use the loop cap to transport it then switch to the cafe cap. There should be one leak proof cafe cap for this. Since it's insulated, I imagine people aren't necessarily drinking water from it and would rather not drink their hot/cold beverage from the side of the bottle. You shouldn't have to buy an additional cap.

The loop cap sweats a lot when there's something cold in it. Beware when putting it in your bag.

The cafe cap leaks and spills on your face when you get to the end of the bottle and tilt it too high.
on March 26, 2012
My original kleen kanteen (now lost in a forest) was great. The seal was perfect and I had no complaints. I have bought two since and they both have the same defect. The rubber gasket becomes dislodged when opening hot liquids (presumably what this is made for?) and it is very difficult to get it back in. The reason I own two is because one gasket popped out on a hike and I didn't notice. Thanks to poor design a stained backpack was the result. I won't be making the same mistake a fourth time. No more Kleen kanteens for me unless they fix this.
on December 15, 2012
It leaked the entire contents of hot water in my briefcase getting water into my ipod and cell phone :(

It was purchased over a year ago and never put into the dishwasher. The seal must be bad. I'm disappointed.
on August 26, 2011
I was attracted by the simplicity of this container and its well-made appearance. I also liked that the drinking surface is protected, so it could be thrown in a bag without concern about hygiene.

Unfortunately, this bottle does not stand up to hot beverages. I put hot tea in the container and closed the cap. When I opened the bottle an hour later, the rubber "O" ring that seals in liquid fell out of the cap. I did not have time to try to replace the "O" ring and am not sure I could have done that. And of course the small translucent plastic ring was easy to lose, and I lost it. Without the "O" ring securely fitted in the cap, this Kleen Kanteen bottle leaks with abandon.... even if you carry a partially filled bottle and hold it upright the bottle will leak.

When I returned the bottle to the store where I purchased it, the cashier told me she had had exactly the same negative experience.

If you only plan to use this product with cold liquids it might hold up fine, but with hot liquids it seems useless.