5.0 out of 5 stars Finally found a good one
Published 11 months ago by Bugehoobies

1.0 out of 5 stars Can not recommend!
So disappointed in this product. It leaked slightly at first, and after a year of occasional use for items like smoothies (not as leaky as, say, coffee), it leaks copiously - to the point that it is not usable, even half full. I was hoping I had purchased a container that would get us through years of use!
Published 5 months ago by Fin

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally found a good one, April 1, 2014
Bugehoobies (St. Louis, MO USA) - See all my reviews
So I tend to be very picky with the things that I buy. I don't have much junk in my life, so the things that I do have must have a purpose and they must serve it well. This bottle fits the bill. First, it's sturdy, really sturdy. Because it's stainless and double-walled, it's very strong. Second, the bottle is insulated, which works really well. I really only put water in this, but when I put really cold drinks in here the bottle never sweats, which is a huge plus. Also many of the other insulated bottles out there have weird, contoured bodies. This is just a cylinder. I have yet to find a cup holder that it does not fit in. I have never had any weird tastes from the bottle (this would likely be indicative of an issue with the water put into it anyway), it's never leaked on me, never sweats, nothing. I carry it with me everywhere I go so it's used every day. I absolutely love it, and my "bottle hunt," if you will, is over. 5-stars for a great product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works like it is supposed to, June 18, 2014
I have the brushed stainless 12oz./355ml. insulated bottle.

I am not a "save the planet" sort of guy . . . so the hype about REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE was not the reason I looked at the Klean Kanteen. I do believe this company DOES care about that stuff and I respect them (and you if you are so inclined) for it. I was drawn by the design of the bottle itself, the stainless steel on the bottom of the Loop Cap, and the overall quality of the bottle. The company also seemed very honest in their product descriptions (temperature retention, etc.) and literature. I do not mind paying a little more for a quality product.

The Loop Cap is sturdy and easy to carry. No sharp edges on the cap or bottle. As a matter of fact, I was a bit worried that the bottle might slip/bounce out of my backpack as I ride my bike to work. Happily, the 12 oz bottle is short enough that it rides pretty deep in the side pocket that seems designed for such things. NOTE: the insulated bottles are a bit too narrow to safety ride in a typical water bottle wire holder on a bicycle.

The wide mouth of the bottle really helps with cleaning the inside. It also makes it possible to use large ice cubes in the bottle. The rim is narrow, but not sharp and is comfortable when drinking or eating right from the bottle. I have not had any leaks or difficulty getting the cap on or off. No issues with flavor transfer; garlic-laden soup one day, Gatorade the next.

The container performs at least as well as advertised whether using hot or cold contents. After an hour long commute in the morning, the oat groats or wheat berries I prepared the night before are still quite warm and ready to eat. I even put a whole raw egg, the shell, in with my groats one evening and enjoyed a perfectly hard boiled egg and warm groats the next morning!

I would recommend this to a friend. As a matter of fact, I ordered a 20oz size as well. What the heck, I guess I also enjoy helping to save the planet!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, June 10, 2013
I love the Klean Kanteen brand. I have another one of these that isn't insulated, and I definitely prefer this one because of the option of using it for hot or cold beverages. I specifically bought this for bringing water to work because I don't trust the water fountain/faucets in my office building and I resent having to buy bottled water. Not only is this great for cold drinks because it keeps the beverage cold, but I also don't have to worry about the outside of the bottle sweating all over my desk. Every morning, I fill it up at home and throw it in a bag, and I haven't had any issues with leaks etc, though I would never put it in my actual purse (because I don't trust any container enough to risk ruining my purse). I plan on buying this in another color, as well, so I can alternate without having to wash one everyday.

The only problem that I've had is that the bottle can cause water to start tasting metallic after a few hours. However, I did not take a star off for this because I have NEVER found a bottle that doesn't make water taste like either water or plastic. Lately, I've been adding juice from half of a lemon to my water, and when I do this, I don't taste the metal at all.

---------------
Revised 6/17/2013
Since writing my review about a week ago, I no longer detect the metallic taste when drinking plain water that's been stored in the bottle for several hours. Not sure how this issue resolved itself, but maybe it just goes away after enough washings. So now this bottle really is perfect.

4.0 out of 5 stars and she says it stays hot for a good while and does not leak, July 1, 2014
I bought this for my girlfriend, so I have not personally used it. But she really likes it, and uses it all the time. She takes it back and forth with her all day, and she says it stays hot for a good while and does not leak. I also got the wide mouth cafe cap for it, and she loves that too. A lot of people say that this bottle leaks when using the wide mouth cafe cap if they put it in a bag or store it somewhere. They are idiots, because anyone with common sense would not put a cafe lid on their bottle and then turn it sideways and not expect it to leak. The bottle DOES NOT LEAK with the regular cap. Great bottle. Great cap. Wide mouth cafe cap, also great. Recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does What It's Supposed To, May 5, 2014
Love my Klean Kanteen. I bring iced lattes to work every morning and there's still ice by the end of day (12+ hours later). There have been a few occasions I forgot to take it out of my bag and found ice from the previous morning!

Hot liquids don't stay hot as long as cold liquids stay cold, but it's still more than enough time (I've burned myself before).

My only issues are with the cap. On multiple occasions bits of plastic shredded off and ended up in my drink and/or mouth. Cleaning is also an issue as the rubber seal lifts and allows whatever liquid to seep underneath and get stuck. Probably not too big of a deal if you only use it for water, but as I use it for coffee/lattes, it takes quite the effort to keep it clean and odor-free.

Edit: I've since fallen in love with the Hydro Flask. Doesn't have the issue with liquids getting stuck under the seal and the bottle has better grip with the matte finish. Insulation is about the same, if not better on the Hydro Flask.

1.0 out of 5 stars Can not recommend!, October 4, 2014
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Wide Insulated Water Bottle with Stainless Loop Cap (Sports)

3.0 out of 5 stars Klean Kanteen 16oz Insulated, February 28, 2014
This is my second such mug. The first lasted over three years. Used day and night.

I just received my second and the outside bottle label is partially rubbed off and there are permanent black smudge marks on it. It does not look new on the outside. Looks beat up. The inside is spotless. Hope this is not a sign of lower quality !!!!!

Normally this product would receive a 5 Star from me, but being as OCD as I am about things I am NOT pleased with the appearance of the label being rubbed off.

1.0 out of 5 stars Leaks like mad, September 9, 2012
Ordered this thinking it would be great to keep my water insulated during colder days and I would no longer need my regular Klean Kanteen, but boy was I wrong. The bottle leaked with hot and even warm liquids! I thought maybe it was just the cap being faulty, so I got another cap and the same thing happened. It's terribly made. I now only use it at home to keep my water warm. I have used it for coffee, and the odor sticks even after rinsing it immediately after finishing the coffee. Not so good. I'm disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best insulated container ever!, December 12, 2013
This thing is awesome! Ice in water stays frozen all day, any where from 12-24 hours. I recommend this to anyone who likes their water cold. Never had a leak, but you do need to be careful when you take off the lid because water will drip off the lid when you remove it.

5.0 out of 5 stars the best, November 10, 2013
A double walled coffee mug isn't anything unique. Where this excels it the simplicity and how easy it is to clean. No complicated lids to get build up. I have the sippy lid, which doesn't seal, but the pieces come apart so you can clean them completely. Inside the bottle, I get build-up sometimes but a soak with peroxide and hot water, it comes right off.
I am thinking about getting a second bottle to rotate in, and because I dropped my first one a few times so the bottom isn't completely flat anymore. Paint chipped little from being dropped, but it works fine otherwise. (If you drop it with the regular lid, it doesn't leak)