5.0 out of 5 stars How to quiet a noisy cap! This works!
I was almost ready to quit using my cap because it was embarassing to use,no matter how slowly and quietly I tried drinking from it!
Published on June 12, 2009 by KIT

3.0 out of 5 stars It works well, but must be washed frequently.
Why listen to me? I carry two 64oz KKanteens of water into work with me every day, and switch this top between them as they are being consumed throughout the work day. I've owned this product for about a month now and use it 6 days a week.

Published on February 14, 2010 by Michael Mikulaninec

5.0 out of 5 stars How to quiet a noisy cap! This works!, June 12, 2009
KIT (Nevada, Iowa United States) - See all my reviews
But, I sent klean kanteen an email asking if they had any suggestions, not really expecting an answer...but I did get an email back with the answer I hoped for. The tip they gave me WORKED, and I absolutely love the cap now, and it doesn't make a sound!
So, here's what they sent to me....I hope it works for you too.

From Klean Kanteen: "I do have some tips for using the sports caps. They are our most popular cap, as well as our most complained about. It is the air pressure that makes that funny noise.
Sports caps were originally designed and used with plastic drinking bottles, and with those, we have the ability to squeeze and change the pressure coming in and out. Because you cannot squeeze stainless steel, air has a more difficult time getting inside and making the water flow out. We had to alter the design to include an air vent in the cap to allow the pressure to escape. This air vent does have a silicone plug and valve; it helps to keep the water in.

1) The trick is to "gently" tighten the sports cap onto kanteen. Not over tightening the cap allows the silicone vent to function more quietly by relieving the vacuum created inside the kanteen.

2) Try to keep the air vent facing up toward your nose. This way, it keeps the vent facing upward so it is backed by air, not by the liquid.

3) Only tilt a little and then suck through the spout.

Try those tips, and in most cases they will take care of the noise and air flow issues.

The silicone white dot is the air vent; if you take it out it will leak. There is some natural variation among the silicone stoppers and the noise that you hear is air moving past the silicon. Some people who use the bottle specifically for sports and working out will actually take out the silicone stopper and find that they don't mind the drip as a trade off for the increased flow.

The little plastic cover of the sports cap, is a sanitary cover. It is not intended to bear the weight of a full kanteen, it is just to keep the nozzle klean and safe to drink from.

I hope that helps.... Let me know if you have any other questions.

(I deleted the name)
Customer Service Supervisor
4345 Hedstrom Way
Chico, CA 95973

800 767 3173
[...]

One planet, one you!

3.0 out of 5 stars It works well, but must be washed frequently., February 14, 2010
Michael Mikulaninec (Orlando, Florida USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Caps (Sports)

It consists of two pieces: the base, and a disk shaped cover that inserts at the top that turns 90 degrees to either expose a drinking port, or obscure it. This is NOT spill-proof. If the container tips, fluid will spill out.

Drinking without spilling any on you is easy if you use the right techinique. No need to elaborate it here... try it with water first and you'll get it right after a few tries.

It works, BUT: There is a problem with this design. The rotating disk insert traps fluid between it and the base beneath it. If you do not frequently wash these parts with soap and water AND pop off the top so the area between them can dry, it will get a fetid smell to it as bacteria grows. The disk is not designed to be regularly removed from the base; I have to squeeze the plastic insert that holds it on and pop the thing off. I have a feeling that eventually, the part that holds the rotating disk on is going to break from doing this. I have no other choice though as it cannot dry out without being seperated. Once it does break it can still be used as a sipping lid with a hole that cant be closed.

This cap is easier to drink out of by far than having to remove and reattach the screw on lid the containers ship with but it could definitely be improved. I will be looking for another sippy-cup type lid for my Kleen Kanteens, but it wont be one of these the second time around.

Conclusion: Better than nothing but needs improvement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product... does what it's supposed to, August 16, 2008
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Caps (Sports)
I recently gave up buying bottled water. While I don't miss dealing with all the plastic bottles, I did miss the sports cap that my favorite brand came with. I was happy to see that Klean Kanteen offers a sports cap, and I am happy that it works just like any other sports-capped bottle I've used.

Like other reviewers noted, my sports cap whistled when I took a drink. Thanks to another reviewer, I discovered that if I loosen the cap just a little, I get a much better flow of water and no whistling. Basically, my sports cap works best if I tighten it just to the point of stopping and then no more. (My habit is to use more pressure and tighten it that extra turn or so.) Even though I leave off that extra turn, I have had no problem with leaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Works fantastically well, June 20, 2009
David Pye (Baton Rouge, LA USA) - See all my reviews
For the longest time, I held off on buying products like this one after reading several so-so reviews, or the one or two negative reviews in a bunch of good ones. It took me a long time to figure out that the very existence of an opinion forum will invite some people to nitpick, and often to even find problems where none actually exist. Such is exactly the case with the Klean Kanteen Sport Cap 2.0. I own three such caps, and exchange them among three Klean Kanteen bottles. I've never had the least bit of trouble tightening or untightening any of the caps on any of the bottles. Before writing this review, I went to a local store that sells these, and did another check there, exchanging several Sport Caps 2.0 with several Klean Kanteen water bottles. The result: Not a single problem. The caps all fit well, and tightened and untightened easily on every Klean Kanteen of every size that I tried them on. It's always possible that someone got a defective bottle or cap, but I find it difficult indeed to imagine that the average person would have any trouble whatsoever in this department.

As for flow and noise: The Sport Cap 2.0 is designed to increase the flow, and it certainly does. After a long run, I can drain a 27-ounce KK in well under 10 seconds with this cap on it. It's a cinch to wash it, and other than that it requires no maintenance. The only "drawback", if you want to call it that, is the slight whistling sound the cap makes when you drink from it--not some mysterious, strange sound that will make people wonder, but the ordinary sound of air rushing through a small hole in the cap, past a small silicone valve. The noise could probably be eliminated altogether if the valve hole was bigger--but this would make leaks much more likely (as it is, I can shake, drop, run with, and roll my KKs across the floor with no leakage whatsoever from this cap). In any case, I've used my KKs with this cap at work, in the classroom, and even in the quiet zone of a research library and never gotten so much as a curious glance due to this "noise" that is about as audible as a grumbling stomach.

Unless you spend most of your time inside a completely silent echo chamber, the air-flow sound won't be a problem for you, and as my three-year-old nephew can tighten one of these caps just fine, I doubt you'll find that to be an issue either. If you're looking for an excellent, easy-to-use-and-clean, high-flow cap for a KK, this is just the thing.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid cap, doesn't whistle if you use it right., November 21, 2008
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Caps (Sports)
Its a solid sports cap that is designed specifically for KK. The reason it whistles is that the Kanteen is solid steel and unlike plastic bottles you cannot squeeze it to get the water out. You actually have to suck on the cap to get the water out. There is actually a little soft plastic valve that opens when theres negative pressure in the bottle letting air in from the outside. This is what causes the whistling. If you orient the cap so that this valve is on top and not touching the water inside, it wont make that chirping noise. A bit annoying (thus the -1 star) but it isnt something that is a real dealbreaker.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's a great solution to a great kanteen., December 19, 2009
Sharon L. Faulk "linnefaulk" (Wesley Chapel, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Caps (Sports)
I just got my Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Insulation Thermos and I ordered the Café Cap at the same time. I am so glad I did. I love the Klean Kanteens but didn't like unscrewing and screwing every time I wanted a drink. This lets you drink hot or cold beverages at home, work or on the go.

One caveat, it is not leak proof and it not spill proof. I found that out yesterday when I moved my arm too quickly and found it covered with hot tea.

I also wish you could open and shut it with one hand but it's not enough to make me change thermoses.

Klean Kanteen Wide Mouth Insulated Water Bottle with Loop Cap

1.0 out of 5 stars It does Leak, April 11, 2012
Tony (Tucson, AZ) - See all my reviews
It does leak!

Dont listen to the people that say "its just water trapped in the lid that dripps out." If my bottle is on its side or upside down all the water will drip out of it in a minute or two and being how I have the 64 oz bottle thats alot of water.

KleenKanteen, love you guys, but get your act together, this cap is crap. Plus, you have no alternative lids for your wide mouth bottles other than unscrewing the stock lid everytime you want a sip of water which is a pain.

3.0 out of 5 stars 2.0 cap is still in beta, May 20, 2009
John Mignault (New Rochelle, NY) - See all my reviews
I initially bought the first version of the sport cap only to find it difficult to screw into the bottle and very, VERY noisy when drinking. It makes an odd squeaking sound, much to the amusement of my colleagues at lunch. So when I saw that this cap was specifically advertised as having better flow and less noise, I happily sent off my money.

It does flow more freely. Unfortunately, it also still squeaks. "Quieter" apparently means "less squeaky" rather than "silent." In contrast to KK's other caps, this one also requires a great deal of effort to screw into the bottle. I generally have to wrap a cloth around the cap, twist hard, and grunt. Given these caveats, the sport cap is still more convenient than having to unscrew a regular cap every time you want to drink, but Sport Cap 2.0 does have issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars water flow/noise issue, January 10, 2010
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Caps (Sports)
I received a bottle with this cap for Christmas and initially did not like the fact that you had to suck on it to get a good flow of water, and it was rather noisy when you did. I investigated a little and noticed a little clear plastic piece next to the spout. At first it was not clear to me what this was, but I decided maybe it was a release valve for the water flow. I pushed it while using and the water flowed much more smoothly without the need to suck and without as much noise. I then looked at the manufacturer's literature (a piece of paper inside the bottle) to see if it confirmed that this is indeed the little 'button's' function, but it said nothing about it that I could find. So I came to Amazon and noticed in the write up for this bottle/cap that it has what they are calling a 'push and release valve, allowing you to drink on the go'. I suspect that this is what this means. So... if this is correct, that should solve the issue of many peoples concern with this product (many reviewers complained about this issue of a noisy water flow, etc.). Also, to the manufacturer - if indeed the literature that you provide does not include these instructions (I could not find any), why on earth not!! That is the reason for 4 stars instead of five. I asked several other members of my family who have also been using this bottle/cap for a some time if they new this, and nobody did. Come on folks!

2.0 out of 5 stars Sports cap leaks, August 16, 2010
This review is from: Klean Kanteen Caps (Sports)
I bought a Klean Kanteen with the sports cap after reading the product description which implies that the cap does not leak. First thing I did was to fill up the bottle and lay it on its side to check. Sure enough it leaks - there is a steady drip from the air intake hole that is covered with a plastic diaphragm. What is more, the information sheet that came with the bottle states explicitly that the sports cap will leak, and even shows a picture of liquid dripping from the cap. So how do they get away with claiming on the Amazon site that it does not leak? It was a blatant deception.

Now, if you plan to always keep the bottle upright then the sports cap is fine. In other words, you can use it at the gym. However, don't buy it if you want to carry it in your bag on a plane, as I had intended.

Klean Kanteen Poly Sports 2.0 Cap