5.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed, quality bottle
Published on June 2, 2012 by R L

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong chemical smell from new bottle
The cap smelled strongly of a chemical that reminds me of "WD-40" or insecticide. I washed multiple times with soap, vinegar, and baking soda respectively. I was unable to get rid of the smell. Once I thought I succeeded. But I discovered on the trail that the chemical smell remained.

I returned the bottle to the seller. While I expect I got a...
Published 1 month ago by S

5.0 out of 5 stars Well-designed, quality bottle, June 2, 2012
R L (California) - See all my reviews
This is a well-made, perfectly designed stainless steel water bottle. The wide mouth is unique and feels like a big step in the design evolution for these kinds of stainless steel water bottles. Easier to clean and the cap covers the threads and opening, where your mouth touches. This helps keeps it clean and sanitary. The wide mouth also allows you to put in ice cubes.

I did notice a slight metallic taste the first time I used it, so I immediately washed it again gently, but thoroughly. Then I didn't notice any taste after that. Water just tastes crisp and clean, like it should.

Some color and print design options would be nice, though. Right now the bottle is mainly functional over fashionable. But the bottle itself is seems well made with high-quality materials. It's been a few months now and I see no sign of wear at all. A reviewer said they noticed algae in their bottle. My guess is it's probably just from leaving water sit in the bottle with with lid closed a few days or weeks. Any container will probably do that. I usually empty the bottle at the end of the day, so there's not liquids sitting in it overnight. Although there were a few times I forgot about my filled bottle for a few days, and still there wasn't any problem.

I picked it up at my local Whole Foods where they had pretty much every size in this line at reasonable prices.

1.0 out of 5 stars Strong chemical smell from new bottle, January 18, 2015

I returned the bottle to the seller. While I expect I got a "dud", I have lost confidence in these bottles and will not purchase Kleen Kanteen products in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Klean Kanteen Wide mouth, September 12, 2012
I bought 2 of the 12oz bottles for my kids! It like a cup with a lid. Easy to clean. Metallic taste for only the first few uses.I also hand wash all of my stainless products.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Camping Bottle, August 7, 2012
Chris (California) - See all my reviews
I bought this water bottle to go camping because I wanted something that was going to be durable and I would be able to boil water in it if necessary. Although I did not test its ability to boil water, I did test its durability by dropping it many more times than I would have liked. That brings me to one of the negatives. This water bottle gets a lot of condensation on the outside when filled with cold water. When it builds up condensation, it gets slippery.

Another problem I had was that when filled with cold water, the bottle was very cold. This water bottle has absolutely no insulation at all. But that is just the nature of the metal it is made out of and I had expected that before purchasing it. My plastic Nalgene bottles, on the other hand, seem to insulate well and do not get the condensation this bottle gets.

This bottle does not have the standard Nalgene threads so I cannot use my Human Gear capCAP BPA Free - Green / Gray on it. The threads appear to be the same but they are slightly different and the capCAP leaks. I found it uncomfortable putting my lips on the thin metal surrounding the opening when taking a drink but overall, it is a good water bottle to have when durability is needed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Leaks like a Sieve, September 26, 2014
Like many of the other users posting here I found the bottle to be really susceptible to leaking. True disappointment for something that is supposed to be so well made.

Complained to the company and this is what response I received: "Thank you for contacting our family here at Klean Kanteen. I am so sorry to hear about the issues you are having with your bottle leaking. From what you describe it sounds like you may be missing a gasket that goes into cap for your bottle. I have included a picture that will help you identify if this is indeed the problem. If you can email me your address I would be more than happy to ship you out a few replacement gaskets. Thank you for taking the time to reach out. Customer satisfaction is very important to our company. I look forward to hearing from you and resolving this issue right away."

This was accompanied with a photo of the bottle cap. Completely missed the point that this was a brand new bottle that would obviously have a brand new gasket. Fix the design folks -- don't just send out gaskets.

1.0 out of 5 stars It Leaks, drip drip drip, October 13, 2012
bob (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
This thing is a great concept, but it leaks, so it's useless to me for camping because when turned on its side (would happen all the time if in my pack) it drips consistently. When turned upside down it drips like crazy. However, when I held my nalgene at exactly the same angles, and shook it like crazy, it didn't leak _at_all_, not a single drop of hint of moisture escaped. So I'm returning my klean kanteen and will use my nalgene instead. I'll use a separate pot as my water boiling/purification container and my food prep container.

p.s. when I mentioned my nalgene, I'm referring to a 48oz "Nalgene Silo" (a super tall version of normal nalgene bottles) which is the best bottle I've been able to find with a size comparable to the 64oz klean kanteen.

2.0 out of 5 stars Smells like metal, a little leaky, August 13, 2012
I bought three new water bottles- one for myself, husband, and daughter. We wanted to stop using plastic water bottles. I bought this particular one for my husband, and it doesn't appear to be the best choice. The stainless steel smell is pretty strong, and you have to use quite a bit of muscle to screw the lid on to keep it from leaking. I would recommend this one: http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan-18-Ounce-Stainless-Steel-Hydration/dp/B000FJ9DOK/ref=pd_ybh_3 It's the one I bought for myself and it is much better.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor manufacturing, lids don't fit, October 4, 2012
I have bought 5 and returned a total of 4 of these ... the lids don't fit well and they leak. The threads don't seat well and it is difficult for me to get the lid on, and it darn near impossible for my kids to get the lid on. Thought a reputable company like this would have better manufacturing quality control. Back to recycled 12-oz plastic water bottles ... have to throw them away after a few trips to school with milk in them, but what can you do when you can't find a decent little bottle for your kid's milk?

3.0 out of 5 stars Bad Design, September 27, 2012
IT LEAKS!!!!!! I even tried buying a new cap (the one with the D-ring) and it leaks also. VERY disappointed.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointment, April 12, 2012
While the metal part claims to be dishwasher safe, the lid is not. The Amazon product description does not state this. Only after ordering and receiving this item did I learn that the packaging states the lid is NOT dishwasher safe. That is important to me.

Also, the package states that is "responsibly made in China".

I am returning and looking for something else.