Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing SnS

on September 25, 2011
I wasn't sure what to expect. I mean it's tough to choose a cooling system from pictures, descriptions and reviews. Our local city codes prevents me using ducted AC in the garage space where I have my workshop. So the choices were: ceiling or through-the-wall (or window) mounted; or a split system. Not wanting to make big structural changes I chose a split system. One of the main disadvantages though is that most of the non-split systems come pre-charged with coolant whereas split systems do not. Basic installation is a breeze. The wall chiller that mounts on the inside wall is very light and easily fitted to the wall. The outside unit (compressor) is much heavier yet still small. It's about the size of a medium suitcase. There are two relatively difficult stages: one is breaking through the wall to connect the thin copper pipes and low voltage wiring between the two units; the other is to vacuum out the air and charge the system with R410 coolant. I did all of the fitting, connecting etc but had a local AC company do the last stage of vacuum and coolant. The company charged me $135 first hour and $80 / hr thereafter. Under 2 hours to do the work and the cost for the R410, total bill under $300.

The system performs very well. The inside chiller is *very* quiet which was not expected. There is a good breeze from it in turbo mode and the sweep mode moves air up and down and side to side. I mounted the chiller over 8 feet high, about 2 feet from the ceiling. The compressor is much louder but still a fraction of the noise that our 3-ton units for our main house AC make.

The installation kit has pre-insulated copper pipework. The insulation is quite thin and easily snagged during the installation process (passing it through the wall etc). I looked for replacement insulation and found some very good rubber pipe insulation, which is the same as the main house AC units have, at my local HomeDepot. The included insulation is 0.9inch diameter so 1-inch bore worked well to double insulate the pipe and make it blend with the rest of the outdoor pipework.

I've only had this installed for a couple of weeks but so far very impressed overall.
on April 28, 2012
Easy to install if you have the right tools and are familiar with refrigeration and electricity. If not, suggest a professional to help.
Works well, cools well, makes a little noise but not too much. Very glad to have it at night in our top floor room here in Florida!