1,221 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing 2.1 system for your PC, MP3 player etc...
Sorry to be so Gushy...but I really LOVE these speakers. Having owned high-end speaker systems from Logitech, Labtech & Creative, I have always enjoyed good sound for games and music. As time has worn on, I began to play more music and fewer games on my PC. As a result I began looking for a quality 3-piece system to replace my 5-piece surround system.
I searched...
Published on April 19, 2002 by Tim Allison

3.0 out of 5 stars DIN Plug Nighmares
Wonderful sound - Cheap DIN plug

One little 3 cent plug turned my $150 amazing sound speaker system into a pile of trash. Since then, I've been reading tons of people in blogs with similar problems and very few solutions. The plug is so flimsy that, it broke when I moved the subwoofer to clean under it! Once broken, nothing works! The replacements are so...
Published on July 2, 2007 by PPP

4.0 out of 5 stars Best 2.1 computer speakers out there., December 30, 2005
This review is from: Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 THX Certified Computer Speaker System (Black) (Personal Computers)
Since I moved I've had to suffer...and that's not an exaggeration, listening to my CDs through a Sony Discman and Altec Lansing ACS44 2.1 speakers.

It was torture listening to the horn section on Rickie Lee Jones' Pirates CD. It was like nails on a blackboard. Very harsh sounding. I never remembered it sounding like that on my audio system I left back home. But, when I plugged the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 into the Discman and played Rickie Lee Jones...oh my! The horns were smooth, not harsh. Rickie's voice was mellow. I could discern individual voices and instruments on the loud passages. These loud passages sounded like mush on the Altecs.

I have a broad range in musical taste. So, next I put in some Classical. Beethoven's String Quartets performed by Quartetto Italiano. I could really hear those rosin laden bows grabbing at those strings. On good recordings you can hear this with decent audio gear. This is one of the criteria besides horns I use when listening for how well the speakers can resolve audio detail in the mid and upper ranges. Other criteria are cymbals; they should sound smooth, not tinny...sort of a "psh psh" as opposed to a "tzz tzz". On the Klipsch cymbals sound like "psh psh" like they're supposed to. Cymbals linger and float in the air now. That's something that never happened with the Altecs.

These are quite revealing and detailed speakers. Hook in a different CD player and you'll really hear a noticeable difference. The quality of the recordings will come through on these speakers. Good recordings will sound good and mediocre records will sound mediocre. These speakers will not make John Fogerty's voice on CCR's Cronicle 20 Greatest Hits CD any more tolerable unfortunately, but neither will just about any other good set of speakers. Instruments and notes that I didn't notice before on my old system or totally missing on the Altecs are revealing themselves again and anew. Some say the tweeters are overly bright. Perhaps. These speakers are on the bright side but not overly so in my opinion. And if they are bright it's not harsh. I can listen to these speakers all day at moderately loud levels. Can't say the same for some other hi-fi speakers I've heard before. I could only listen to 1 or 2 CDs on the Altecs before I gave up.

The Klipsch Promedias do a great job on vocals too. Raiatea Helm's voice sounded more "Sweet and Lovely" (the title of her latest Hawaiian CD) on the Klipsch than on the Altecs. If you love listening to female vocals you HAVE to get Raiatea's CD!

***Since 1/10/06 I've learned that Raiatea's CD has been nominated for a Grammy in Category 70, Best Hawaiian Music Album
(Vocal or Instrumental.)!***

Bass is good too. Good detail and extension, though a bit vague. This trait, I've found, is common with small diameter, ported woofers. It's also a bit weighty. I keep the bass adjustment for the subwoofer all the way down. Any setting higher than that and it overpowers the mids and highs. Placing the subwoofer outside and away from corners and walls and slightly to the left of your listening position is probably best. You will have to experiment on placement and level settings to find what works best in your environment and for your taste. Everyone's room and ears are different. Just walking around the room or moving slightly toward or away from the subwoofer unit will change the sound of it. After fiddling with my subwoofer placement I found having it about two feet out from the back wall and two feet out from the side wall, but just inside the left satellite is ideal for me. Placing it more toward the center of the satellites caused a lack of lower mids and upper bass. Cellos sounded anemic when the sub was placed in the center. Just off to the left and cellos sound much much better.

The stereo imaging and soundstage is head and shoulders above the Altecs! When I put on Laurie Anderson's "Home of the Brave" live CD and turned up the volume I really felt like I was in the concert hall. And how's this? The Klipsch's imaging is so good it fooled my cat's sensitive ears! I was listening to Eagles' Greatest Hits Vol. 2 and 'Heartache Tonight' ends with a series of drum beats. My cat was sitting in my lap, facing me and these drum beats caused him to turn his head back in the direction he thought they came from. He directed his head and ears to the outside of the right speaker where even I thought they were coming from! With the Altecs I could always pinpoint that the instruments were coming from the satellites.

Now for the negatives. First off the Tractrix tweeters are taken from the high end models which are priced in the $1000s which is a plus, and although they have very good lateral dispersion they have a real lack of vertical dispersion. This being the case it's very important to set the satellites at ear level for the best treble detail and sound. The speakers are normally tilted up on their stands. The thinking is they'll be placed on the computer desk below ear level. But it would've been nice if Klipsch had designed adjustable stands that could be tilted up or down. The Altec satellites can be tilted up or down. You could remove the stands and bend them so the speakers are more vertical and I may have to do this with my set up. I have the speakers set up on a counter between my kitchen and living area of my apartment and when I sit to listen the tweeters and mid range drivers are pointing up slightly. This is enough to cause a lack of clarity in the upper ranges. When I stand up from my seated position I notice a definite change...and it's better. However, like most people I like to sit while I listen to music, not stand!

It would be best to use stands to adjust the height of the speakers, but don't get the ones they sell on Klipsch's website. Instead get a pair of Sanus EFSatb (black) or EFSats (silver) and bolt the Klipsch stock stands to them using one of the Sanus' brackets. The Sanus stands are better than the ones Klipsch sells because the tubes are bigger and the base is cast iron. The Sanus is more sturdy than the Omnimounts that Klipsch sells. On Amazon's website the Sanus' are cheaper than the Klipsch stands too...by almost half!

While you can order a Monster Cable speaker cable kit from Klipsch (something I highly recommend). It would've been really nice if Klipsch designed the satellites with regular speaker cable connections rather than mini jacks. This way you could upgrade the stock speaker cables with any brand speaker cables you want. And it would've been really really cool if Klipsch incorporated binding posts to connect the speaker cables instead of the usual cheap clips.

While you can connect your CD or MP3 source through the mini jack on the control preamp you need to use adapters if you want to use your favorite interconnect cables. Again, it would've been really cool if Klipsch designed the control preamp with a pair of RCA jacks.

These are all nit picks of course as these are designed and marketed for use with computers. Still, it would've been nice if Klipsch designed these with the audiophile in mind. And I'll tell you why. While an audiophile has his/her main audio equipment in the living room this setup would be great in a den, bedroom, rec room or garage.

Want to have a cheap, but truly good if not great sounding little hi-fi system? Hook up a nice, yet inexpensive CD player from NAD, Adcom, etc. with good interconnect cables from Kimber Kable, Rega, Tara Labs or Synergistic Research using adapters...get the Monster Cable kit from Klipsch (wish they had better) and you'll have one nice little sound system.

This is what I'm planning to do exactly. I need to build my sound system from scratch again and this is a good starting point as I can't get all the components all at once...I'm not rich after all. I'm planning on getting a Jolida JD100 vacuum tube CD player and hooking it up to these Klipsch with good interconnects for the time being. This combination will work just fine as I feel these little "computer" speakers are up the to task and worthy of something like the Jolida CDP. Then, I'll get Jolida's 1501RC tube/solid state hybrid integrated amp...and then a pair of Magnepan MG12s...then I'll really be in music heaven! Until then the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 will satisfy me.

***Since writing this review I've found out that Kimber Kable makes cables with a pair of RCA connectors on one end and a mini plug on the other...or, if you want to hook up your iPod or portable CD player they make a cable with mini plugs on both ends. And, Synergistic Research will be coming out with cables for iPod (I'm guessing mini to mini and mini to RCA cables). So NO ADAPTERS NEEDED! These cables will be a huge step up, from top to bottom, in musical detail and extension over the built in cable or anything you can get from Radio Shack or similar store.***

***Okay, another addition to my already long review, but this is very noteworthy. If you really want to hear what these speakers can do you HAVE TO get the Monster Cable kit. Not having the patience to wait for the Monster Cable 2.1 set to be in stock on Klipsch's website I went ahead and ordered the set for the Promedia 4.1s and installed the shorter 15ft. pair to my Promedia 2.1s.

Well, as expected upper end detail improved greatly. With the stock speaker cables the speakers could barely resolve the cymbal beats on Pink Floyd's 'Comfortably Numb'. They're very subtle, but they are there. But, with the Monster Cables the cymbals are resolved very well. Nora Jones' voice really opened up on her 'Come Away With Me' CD. Before it was good, but always seemed constrained, boxed in even. I thought it was the recording, but the Monster Cables really helped her voice on this CD. But the last thing I thought the Monster Cables would do is IMPROVE BASS DETAIL. After all the cables feed the satellites and the sub is on its own needing no cable hook ups aside from the power and DIN from the control preamp right? As I sat there dumbfounded but enjoying the increased detail in bass I thought, the mid range drivers on the satellites are responsible for the lower mid-range and the upper bass...and this is where the increased detail is, but this also helps define the lower bass too. Also, from what I've read elsewhere another way to increase bass detail is to raise the subwoofer off the floor. I would recommend something inexpensive like Herbie's Isolation feet at:

[...]

This will be my next upgrade for these great sounding little speakers.***

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than Logitech z2300!!!, June 7, 2005
In a previous review, I had stated that there was a problem with the bass, and that my old SOUNDSTICKS were, infact, better. I gave the product 3 stars under the heading, "NOT FOR MUSIC!!!" The bass seemed very thumpy and well, noteless, like there weren't notes in the bass lines, just thumps.

Boy was I wrong -

It appears that the sub or speakers require some time to WARM UP/ BURN IN. Becuase 30 minutes after I had written that review, I came back into my room to hear BEAUTIFUL, FULL, and RICH music coming from these speakers. I couldn't beleive my ears. I was about ready to pack them back in the box and take them back. Now, however, it seems as if i can almost hear the speakers getting better with every note that is pumped out of them. They fill my room with sound beautifully and i wouldn't trade them for anything. Even at low volumes they sound great.

**I have tried the LOGITECH Z-2300s and returned them. MUSICALLY, They DO NOT COMPARE to these, except for mere power and spaciousness. I consider myself somewhat of an audiphile, and trust me, for MUSIC, these are the ones.

Just make sure you purchase some sort of protection plan or extended warranty as these seem to have a reputation for crapping out a little early (see 1 star ratings).

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, November 15, 2012
Initially impressed by the good reviews, I bought these without much research. Unfortunately, when I listened to them I wasn't impressed at all. They sounded WORSE than the Logitech's they were replacing. Confused, I did some more research and I discovered that they were completely redesigned. The sub lost 5 pounds. Basically, Klipsch 2.1 speakers USED to be good, but now they're not good at all. I would avoid them, or at least do some more research (in which case you'll avoid them). Here are my initial impressions

* The bass is very punchy. It's strong, but completely distorts low frequencies. I have trouble hearing some MAIN instruments in songs, when I can clearly hear them on headphones. That being said, I thought the mids and highs were clear. Overall though, I thought the music sounded empty

* The warranty for this product looks terrible. Basically, these speakers fail all the time, and Klipsch appears to have the worst customer service in the world. If you do any research, you'll be scared. Everyone has the same part failing in 1-2 years. Clearly these were not designed to last

Anyway, if you're looking at alternatives, I think Logitech Z623 might be good. I've also read really good things about M-Audio BX5a Deluxe (best reviewed in its class) and for slightly more money, AudioEngine A5. However, I haven't decided on any of these, as I had Logitech Z2300 and I don't want to downgrade.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent three-piece computer audio system, April 23, 2002
It's surprising how many music fans stick with the cheap speakers delivered with their computers. Considering how much time is spent in front of the computer (rather than perfectly centered between one's hi-fi system's speakers), this low-to-medium grade audio has become the primary interpreter of many listener's music experience. And that's a shame, because there are dozens of reasonably priced computer add-on audio systems available whose reproductive abilities far surpass the $19 speakers bundled with most computers.
Klipsch is a well-known name in home audio, and their products incite both love and hate among audio enthusiasts. No doubt their desktop speakers, such as this system, will produce similar (though perhaps less extreme) reactions. The lesson to be learned is this: auditioning speakers for yourself, in person, is critical. This can be difficult with consumer electronics of this price category, as you're unlikely to find them set up in a quiet room, or available for take-home auditions. If you plan to audition them in a large (super-)store, arrive at opening to get as quiet an environment as possible.
This three-way system (subwoofer and two desktop satellites) compares very favorably to others in its class. It is a huge improvement over the speakers that ship with most desktop computers, and, depending on taste, a step-up from many of the premium systems one might add to a computer purchase. The desktop two-way satellites throw an impressive stereo image, and the high- and mid-range have enough sizzle and punch to be present, but not so much as to be fatiguing. The subwoofer blends well with the midrange. The desktop speakers are also visually attractive (though not nearly as high-design as some of the competitors), which helps, given that they're within eyesight at all times. One satellite also has a handy auxilliary input jack, perfect for connecting an MP3 player or other temporary input source.
Set up is simple, though there are a couple of minor issues to be noted. The cabling seems to be a bit more complicated than necessary. A separate speaker wire runs from each satellite to the subwoofer, and then separate cables connect the computer's audio out to the left satellite, and then the left satellite to the subwoofer. Combining some of these (and perhaps daisy-chaining the satellites) would make for neater setup.
The power switch is inconveniently located on the back of the subwoofer. Make sure to pick up a power strip with an on/off switch (or be prepared to climb under your desk). Also, for cost/price-point reasons, Klipsch failed to add circuitry to mute the audio output when the amplifier switches on. The result is an annoyingly loud pop when the system is powered on. Setting the volume level to zero has no effect.
Finally, the audio controls are limited to volume and subwoofer, leaving users to adjust balance via the computer's setting (as well as any other equalization one might like to do). Not really much of a problem, but less flexible than some other systems.
Ergonomic nit-picks aside, this is a fine system, with better sound than any of the others in its class. It's well worth the price that Klipsch asks for it (which tends to be a few dollars higher than equivalent models from other manufacturers), and a terrific purchase for anyone whose computer has become a major source of musical sound.
4-1/2 stars, if Amazon allowed fractional ratings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loud has been redefined!, December 28, 2005
These speakers rock! Look at the reviews by other people! What these other audophiles have written remains true for me as well.

I had a pair of Altec Lansing speakers for the past 10 years. They were good (at 27 watts, they werent great) but I was ready to update to something better. I dont have room for surround sound with 5.1 speakers, so I knew I needed a 2.1 set. Klipsch has been making speakers and audio products for a long time, so it is a brand you can trust. After reading these reviews and finding them on sale on Amazon, I bought them (I would keep checking Amazon to see their prices - they change from time to time and I bought mine when they were on sale with free shipping).

I set them up at home, got them ready and put a CD into my computer. It came out loud. It came out clear. And the bass rattled my wall, pictures, and my bones. I have had other fantastic stereo systems before - in my car, TV surround sound, etc. However, I have never heard bass match the music so cleanly. On lesser speakers, you will hear music from the sattellites and every once and a while, you will hear a thump from the bass, like it just needs to thump to make sure it is working. The ProMedia 2.1 speakers are different. The subwoofer has an exit tube for the bass sound and a covered speaker for additional sound. Which means that when you are listening to music, sound comes out of the two satellites and the subwoofer and the same time, blending the bass and music perfectly. I think that is what impressed me the most. Yes, you can make these speakers extremely loud. Yes, you can turn the bass up high enough to bring down a small building. Yes, your vision will blur if you put your head near the subwoofer while its on. All of those things are impressive, but I think the fact that it matches the music so perfectly makes these speakers the best on the market.

I also tested a DVD, Star Wars Episode 2, since the speakers are THX certified. I used the scene when Jenga Fett chases Obi-Wan throught the asteroid field. Since it is only two speakers, the directional ability of the sound is not as effective - in this case, the movie sounds better on my TV surround sound set. But for computer speakers, the ProMedia speaker sounded great. I would have no problem watching movies on my computer knowing that I was getting high quality sound. And since that subwoofer is kicking out so much bass, you can feel the explosions in the movie.

As for games, which is really what I use my computer for, there is no comparison. Other speakers in this price range dont stand a chance in terms of sound quality, clarity, bass and range. I started playing some levels in Half-Life 2, and indeed there are things I have never heard before. There are birds chirping in the background in some level! But the best thing is that these speakers handled the sound of a bird just as well has it handled the sound of my shotgun blasting an explosive barrel. Everything just sounded so good. I tried other games and each one sounded better than anything else I have ever heard on my computer. The speakers have made a big difference in my game playing experience.

Overall, I highly recommend these speakers. I dont update my computer hardware very often, but when I do, I make sure to get the best. These speakers will change you computer listening experience. They will handle any media - CD, DVD, and games. They will do so any way you wish - you can adjust the subwoofer all the way to off if you perfer not to destroy your apartment. This speaker set is capable of handling anything you want. You wont be sorry if you use these speakers. Buy. Setup. Enjoy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Owned them for a long time DIN Plug Flaw, April 2, 2012
This speaker set sounds great don't get me wrong. BUT... there is one HUGE flaw in the design that they have not sorted out after all of these years. The DIN Plug. Once this goes bad your entire nice system is utter trash. What sounded great is now dead because of one input to the sub that powers the entire unit aside from the AC. Wiggling the cable to try to get it in the perfect spot to get sound. Because of this issue I have decided not to purchase another set. All you have to do is google it. This is a known issue... FOR A LONG TIME.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, Steep Price, June 24, 2003
Wesley Nakamura (Long Beach, CA United States) - See all my reviews
I am very happy with the Klipsch Promedia 2.1. I read as many reviews as I could before purchasing, considering the GMX A-2.1 among others. I really had Klipsch in mind because of their track record and the raving reviews. It definitely performs and has plenty of power (much to spare). I cannot speak so much to the quality because I do not have a trained ear for intense listening. All I can say is that it sounded way better than my old speakers ($$ computer show piece of junk). I also own the Logitech z-560 THX 4.1 system for my computer at school. Comparing the two, it seems like the klipsch system has more power (both have plenty to spare). I assume that having a separate tweeter improves the quality of the highs, but I couldn't really hear a difference. Also, the Klipsch gives you more control over the subwoofer. When i turn the subwoofer down on the Klipsch, it is very close to off, when I turn the bass control down on the Logitech, the subwoofer is still booming. The Klipsch system is fairly easy to set up. The lack of bare end wires (the Klipsch has a mini jack on the speaker end) might turn some users off. Doesn't really bother me. The price of the system is a real hit to the checking account, and I'm not even sure it's worth it. For $$ more I could have purchased the z-560's again. Alas, no room for it and no 5.1 sound card for this. This system will be overkill for most users, but if you like big sound without distortion and you have some money to spend, here is your system. Gamers should probably get a 5.1 system by Klipsch (Promedia, not GMX) or Logitech. You can read plenty of technical reviews (with fancy graphs and numbers and jargon like "soundstage") online. They all proclaim the Klipsch promedia 2.1 the standard by which every other 2.1 Computer Speaker system is measured. Design wise, these aren't exactly sexy, but not hideous or out of date either. They are quite large, larger than the Logitech sattelites. I recommend these speakers to the buyer not on a tight budget who listens to a lot of music. I don't recommend these speakers to gamers or buyers who want to watch DVDs because of the lack of 5.1. Just for the heck of it, I've also seen/heard a klipsch promedia 5.1 setup (probably playing stereo mode) broadcast to an entire street block. It wasn't anythign close to a concert, but if it's enough to travel that far with clarity, it's certainly enough to fill up a room.

5.0 out of 5 stars klipsch: the best multimedia speaker, stateside, January 29, 2003
I've gone through three speaker upgrades over the past three months, and I've finally found a set that I love.
Great features of the Promedia 2.1: fantastic 2-way 35 watt satellites with MicroTratrix horns; ported, efficient, 6.5" long-throw subwoofer rated down to 31hz, with an improved crossover point of 120hz. It also has both a headphone and auxillary jack (for plugging in a discman or mp3 player) on the right satellite.
The 200 watt Klipsch 2.1's will fill even large rooms with huge sound. The subwoofer can supply huge, booming bass for games and DVDs, and also balanced, musical bass for music. The satellites, with their 3" long-throw drivers and separate tweeters, provide clear, accurate sound reproduction. A word of caution: your 128kbps-encoded mp3s will NOT sound very good, as these speakers will bring to light every pop and flaw of a compressed music file. Stick to CDs, and you will be in heaven.
My minor gripes include the power switch on the back of the subwoofer and the thin speaker wiring. It is an inconvenience to have to bend over and shut the speakers off, and the speaker wire connection could be better.
BOTTOM LINE: If you have no reservations about spending a little more on a set of 2.1 computer speakers, these should be your #1 choice.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor design, mine crapped out, June 19, 2004
By A Customer
The sound is great at first, but there's a design flaw in this product that made mine useless. The right satellite speaker has the subwoofer and volume dials on it. But it's really cheap construction, and after a while the rubber dials start to vibrate and make a "chirping" sound during play. This occurs even when played at a reasonable volume. I babied these speakers and still had this problem. If you're thinking about buying these, ask yourself one question. Do you feel lucky?

5.0 out of 5 stars Best among ALL computer speakers so far, December 2, 2002
J. Wu (Honolulu, HI USA) - See all my reviews
After reading all the reviews on Amazon, I decided to give Klipsch a try and purchased it. I followed the suggestion of some reviewers: extended warranty. I have 4 years of that, and it's made in China. No doubt this system beats my Boston Accoustics 7500G, which I still love and keep.

Compare to BA 7500G, Klipsch's satellites have more noise, but it is not noticable unless you get close to them. The subwoofer is what beats off the BA 7500G. It's too strong!! With my Sound Blaster Live!, sometimes I have to turn the subwoofer control on the main satellite to the minimum in order to not disturb my neighbors. Very, very impressive subwoofer power, which is what I'm thirsty for!! The surround volumn of front and back is adjustable and sounds great. When I play ghost recon, if I turn the sound too loud, I am always close to have a heart attack when someone is shooting behind me.

Physically the satellites are pretty large compare to many others, but THEY LOOK GOOD. They just look like some high-price, expensive speakers, which they are. The subwoofer is big and heavy, but who cares about the size when it sounds that good?

I have listened to many computer speaker systems in stores, including logitech, monsoon, creative labs, altec lansing, harman kardon, and so on. I'll have to say altec lansing simply [stinks]. Noise, and the subwoofer always has bumping sound. Harman Kardon on the other hand is really high quality, but too pricy and not common in store. All other systems are just weak compare to Boston Accoustics, not even mentioning this Klipsch system.

But be aware of what the reviewers tell you, this might break. The first system I brought home simply was broken. No power! I brought it back to circuit city and replaced with a new one, which's been working fine so far. However, with my 4 year warranty, I am ready to get it replaced any time if something goes wrong with it.