1,501 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the money
I bought these to go with a shuffle to use while working out and I am very happy with them.

Published on September 18, 2009 by Snow Pugilist

2.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones but they break with light wear
Published on August 7, 2010 by bperdue

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good for the money, September 18, 2009
Snow Pugilist (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Klipsch Image S4i Premium Noise-Isolating Headset with 3-Button Apple Control (Electronics)

Sound quality: The sound quality is excellent for the money ... they have a ton of bass which is perfect for what I am using them for. I own the Image X10s too which are superb but they are 3 times the price and don't have the inline controls. The X10s sound quality is definitely superior, they're more accurate and have much better separation but that's just not necessary when I'm more focused on not passing out while running up the hills here in San Francisco. I find the Klipsch's Image range to be pretty bassy in general so if you are listening to classical music or a lot of instrumental stuff at high bit-rates you will likely be happier with a set of Etymotic ER4Ps (very accurate with amazing separation) but if you're listening to rock/hip-hop/dance etc. the Klipsch Image range are a great choice.

Build quality: Time will tell how well they hold up but they feel sturdier than the X10s and I have had those for 8 months ... I've been pretty hard on them and have had no issues whatsoever.

Comparison to other brands: I have had Shures and several sets of Etymotics in the past and am now a total Klipsch fan. The Klipsch IEMs have comparable sound quality (better for some types of music), are far more comfortable than both Shures and Etys, are better made than the Etys and are better value for money than the Shures.

One word or warning that you will see in many of the reviews: if you have never used IEMs (In-Ear-Monitors aka sound isolating earphones) - they take some getting used to. You need to make sure to get a good seal in you ear for them to work well, if they're lacking bass it's probably because you don't have a good seal. They really do block out pretty much all noise so make sure to look both ways before crossing the road ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars Exhasperating Review., October 28, 2009
I recently took a trip to Europe and one of the things on my "to-do" list before I left was find a decent pair of headphones that would travel well, since I didn't want to drag my bulky studio headphones along. So with over 26 hours of flying in 10 days, I wanted a pair that could block out a lot of noise and put out good sound quality for the money. I stumbled upon the Klipsch brand and the S4i headphones, and I'm glad I did. These have been without a doubt the best in-ear headphones I've ever owned.

The first and most important thing is sound quality. The highs are great(when listening to certain songs, I heard hi-hats and tambourines that i had previously not heard), mid range is excellent and the low mids are impressive. However, what sold me the most was the bass response. The bass is there, without being too powerful, but when I wanted some brainthumping bass, I turned the EQ on my iPod to "Bass Booster", and I was blown away. These little headphones pack a punch, that's for sure. Bass that can't be replicated by my Infinity 6 x 8's in my car was played with ease, and with little distortion. The only issue I had was slight distortion when playing songs that had both a deep bass line and a punchy kick("Forgot about Dre" by Dr. Dre) but other than that everything was darn good. I wanted to listen to a wide variety of music for this review, and everything sounded great through these, from AC/DC to Jay-Z,Miles Davis, Cake, Outkast,Common, Arcade Fire,and Neutral Milk Hotel, it all sounded flawless, and many tracks I felt I was listening to for the first time since I heard hi-hats, guitar riffs and bass lines that I hadn't heard before.

The sound isolation is also nice, having an 8 hour trip from Houston, TX to London, England, I didn't have to listen to the crying babies with popping ears or most of the engine noise(there was a slight drone, but turning up the tunes solved that problem).

The headphones we're quite comfortable as well, although I think Klipsch could have designed them a little better if the 180 degree insertion method wouldn't have to be used every time. I only had trouble with them when I had fallen asleep for about an hour on one side of my head, and upon pulling out the earphone my ear canal stung for a while, but other than that they we're quite comfortable.

These seem like they're pretty well put together, although I think for this price the wire could be a bit thicker, I'm not entirely sure how long the wires will last, but I can't see any problems in the near future as long as they are taken care of well.

I don't have an iPhone so I wasn't able to do much calling, but did successfully make a few calls from my iPod Touch using VoIP Stunt and both my call quality and my voice carried through well. The earphones block so much sound, however, that I could not hear myself speak very well and was almost yelling into the microphone (the person I called appreciated this none whatsoever).

So as you can see there are a lot of benefits to buying a pair of these. Sound quality is great (especially on Miles Davis' "In A Silent Way"), they're reasonably comfortable, work well as far as making calls (again I didn't try on an actual iPhone) and should hold together if taken care of.

The few gripes I had were nitpicks at best. If they would seal well without having to turn them 180 degrees that would be great. They could include a few more sizes of ear tips as well, but foam tips are cheap and can solve this problem. Other than that these are great and I would certainly recommend them for travel and everyday use, just mind the thin wire!

4.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Good Earplugs for the IPhone..but not right away., September 8, 2009
After a somewhat disappointing purchase of the Apple In Ear Headphones with Mic that I wanted to use with my IPhone 3GS, I now faced the dilemma once again what to buy that would work with the phone. I do own several sets of Etymotics and still feel that these are the best sets out there, in sound as well as value. However, even the new type of Ety's for the IPhone 3GS does not have the volume up and down (aka Apple Chip) on the remote, making it impossible to take full advantage of the phone's features. After reading all the good reviews about the S4i, I decided to jump in once more and to purchase these. Amazon did a great job shipping and they shortly thereafter arrived.

With great anticipation I plugged these into my phone, turned on the music and was greatly disappointed. Mediocre sound with no bass. I now tried the largest inserts, pulled back my ears, opened my mouth and shoved them in as far as pain would let me. Still crap and they hurt big time. I was not happy and thought that I just wasted more money on a bad headset.

I researched other sites about Klipsch IMAGE S4i Headsets and one person wrote about the problems he had (same as mine) and how the 180 degree insertion method did make all the difference, due to how his ears are shaped.

I then took the plugs, turned them 180 degrees, Cable pointing up, and inserted them into my ears. This time they went in easily without any pain and effort! They actually fit nicely and the sound is great! Yeah!

Still not to Etymotic standards, but almost there. Big time bass and (now) great sound isolation. Better compared to my friends Bose Ear Plugs and in a different universe of the Apple in Ear Phones.

So for all of you out there with sound and comfort issues, try them upside down. This might work for you as well.

I did give them 4 Stars instead of 5 due to the 180 degree rotation requirement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding "in-your-head" sound, remarkable mic, one way you can make it better, July 29, 2010
Length:: 0:28 Mins

These are outstanding headphones. They have the best sound of any I've tried for under $300. I was worried about the mic being placed at chest level rather than closer to the earpiece but that's not a problem. Audio through the mic sounds clearer than speaking directly into my iPhone. One small problem is that the mic rubs against my shirt if I move too much while speaking and that's fixed by using the included clothing clip.

The S4i comes with the best stock ear gels I've used. There must be something to the oval shape that Klipsch uses. However, I've never been able to get "stock" ear gels to fit comfortably. The "best I've used" means they are reasonably comfortable, stay in fairly well, and I have to keep pushing them back in every once in a while. The problem is my ears, not these headphones. What brought these headphones to a whole new level of awesomeness (for me anyway) was to replace the supplied eartips with my standard "go to" set: Etymotic Research ER6i-18 Replacement Triple Flanged Eartips for Etymotic Earphones (Gray, 5 Pairs). The fit the "buds" perfectly, as always stay securely and comfortably in my ears, and if possible make the music sound even better.

Finally, and I'm sure other reviewers have mentioned it, is that the controls work perfectly with an iPhone 4.

Bottom line is you can spend a little less and get a lot less or spend a lot more and get a little more. In my opinion these present a great price/performance compromise.

UPDATE: I found a place on the web, Averysound, where you can order custom made ear gels. By custom made I mean you go to an audiologist and have molds professionally made. You send the mold to the ear gel manufacturer. What you get back are professional looking gels, customized to both your headset and your ears. The fit is snug but not uncomfortable and rock solid. The sound is great and noise isolation is amazing. In particular the work very well with my S4i, making then an even more remarkable set of earphones. I can't include a URL in my review and you'll have to figure out another way to find averysound on the web. The accompanying short video provides details in this happy union between earphone and eargel.

BTW, I feel that honest, effective reviews take the place of first-hand experiences that are lacking in online shopping. I've always appreciated the help I've gotten from other reviewers and continue to return the favor as best as I can. If you thought this review was helpful please let me know by clicking on "Yes" button where it asks. If there was anything you thought was lacking or unclear leave a comment and I'll do what I can to fix it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great headphones but they break with light wear, August 7, 2010
I am a consultant. I travel 2x a week. I used these headphones before, during and after each flight I take. Within about 3 weeks of normal use, the wire that attaches to the headphone jack started to come lose. I was very careful about not pulling on it and protecting it, but the design is just simply too weak to absorb normal wear and tear on headphones. Sure enough, the wire is now ripping out and the sound doesn't work anymore.

So, although I really liked these headphones, they only worked for me for about 8 weeks before completely falling apart.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for everyone. Bad sound isolation, slightly too much bass, October 11, 2009
I bought these headphones to replace a pair of E2Cs I had worn into oblivion. When I first took these headphones out of the box, they seemed great. The good:

- They look great.
- They fit into the ears more comfortably than you might expect
- They take up less space then other headphones I have tried, especially with a remote / mic inline

Unfortunately, they have failings in the two most critical areas (for me):

- Sound isolation is horrible compared to similarly priced headphones. After trying all included tips (the medium sized fit best), I was unable to find any configuration that would approach any amount of reasonable isolation. Sure, you can turn the music up and eventually drown out the sound, but compared to my previous headphones (Shure E2C), the Altec Lansing UHP336, and a pair of Skullcandy earbuds I tried, the isolation was pretty nonexistent. Without music playing you can hear and participate in conversations taking place tens of feet away from you. They are practically a joke on a plane, you can hear announcements, engine noise, crying babies, or whatever happens to be going on in your cabin.

- There is a lot of bass. Some might put this in the good category, but there is more bass than you would expect. So much in fact that at first I listened on "Bass reducer" EQ on my 1G iPhone, even for Hip-hop. This problem is compounded by the fact that the sound isolation is bad, so you will find yourself constantly turning up the volume. I was often at nearly half volume on my iPhone in noisy settings (busses, trains, planes), compared to one quarter volume on the E2Cs in similar settings.

Ultimately, I returned these. They were convenient and comfortable, but the lack of sound isolation really caused me to question the purpose. The only reason I could see to get these is if your only other option was the S4 and you have an iPhone, since you can skip songs and pause from the not-too-obtrusive inline remote.

5.0 out of 5 stars For active listeners who want full control using a remote, December 18, 2009
I use these headphones with the 64 GB iPod Touch and love them. I am someone who appreciates great audio quality. All my music is recorded lossless using Apple's lossless encoder. I own several of Shure's products and various over the ear headphones for home listening. The Klipsch IMAGE S4i are by far the most comfortable and easiest to insert earbuds i've used yet. Even during prolonged listening they remain comfortable well beyond the point the Shure's would hurt. The sound isolation is fantastic as I have used these while mowing the lawn with out having to turn the volume up.

Why buy the Klipsch IMAGE S4i? To use during activities and on the go. The sound quality is good, not superb. These are not the headphones you use when you want to relax and listen to every last detail in your music and have it reproduced perfectly. These are the headphones you use while jogging, walking, riding in a car or plane, using lawn mowers; basically any active pursuit where decent sound quality, ease of use, comfort and noise isolation are important. Your iPod or iPhone can now stay in your pocket as you can control your device through the remote. The remote's controls are simple to use by feel and do the job well. Combine easy access to play/pause, skip/skip back, and volume controls with Apple's voice control feature and now the whole device can be controlled through these headphones! That is why they are so good! And voice control... wow. I can tell the iPod to play certain playlists, artists, albums, songs, even commands such as "turn on/off shuffle", "what song is this", and "play more songs like this" to use the genius feature.

Anyone in the market for headphones has a lot of choices to make. For this price range there are better alternatives for sound quality, but right now there is no better choice then the S4i's for active listeners who benefit from leaving their devices in their pockets. Get the Klipsch IMAGE S4i if decent sound quality and comfort are important as well as full control over your music and phone functions using the inline remote.

They also work great with my MacBook Pro allowing me to control iTunes with the remote and use Skype because of the microphone. I have been using the Klipsch IMAGE S4i for three months and recommend them to anyone who will use them as I detailed above. May be in the future a $300.00+ pair of audiophile earbuds with the remote will be released and everyone will be satisfied... until then I'll be happily listening to my tunes on the go with these.

3.0 out of 5 stars 4.5-star headphones at a 6-star price = 4 stars (-1 for defect), March 16, 2010
Archer Koch (Santa Cruz, CA, USA) - See all my reviews
These are nice overall. I had to chuckle at all the reviews I read before purchasing where people were talking about putting the headphones in upside-down - and then complaining about the cables sticking up in the air. Hello? Don't turn them upside-down... Simply swap the right and the left and you'll accomplish the same thing while leaving the cords hanging down. This works very well for me because the headphones take a much lower profile and stay in my ears more securely (your mileage may vary). This reverse insertion technique also works particularly well when wearing these with my motorcycle helmet. The range is great, as is the noise isolation. Unfortunately, there is a lot of "thumping" to be heard when the cord bounces or rubs up against something. They ship a little clip that attaches the cord to your clothing, which should help mitigate the problem - although I'd rather not have to fuss with such a clip in my active lifestyle. All this said, I think these are about twice the price they should be.

2010 July 7 UPDATE:
A few weeks ago, I noticed that the cord sheathing had pulled out of the connector, which exposed the wires. I had seen other reports of this in a review or two before I purchased, so this seems to be a known defect. Klipsch issued an RA and I shipped them back at my expense. They've had them for 1 1/2 weeks now. I just called for a status check. After waiting several minutes for the guy to get the information together, he told me that they're "set to release" but that it will be a FEW MORE WEEKS before they have more inventory!!!! No apology of any sort - just matter-of-fact. Even after I calmly told him how I felt about the situation, he remained unsympathetic.

I deducted one star for the defect and resisted the urge to deduct another for the lousy customer service (because we rate the product, not the company, right?)

2010 Dec 23 UPDATE/TIP:
The problem with the cord sheathing eventually occurred again with the replacement pair that I received. Clearly a manufacturing defect. When I first noticed it occurring this time, I remedied the issue by pushing the sheathing back into the connector as best that could, then applying a very very light bead of super glue where the connector/boot meets the cord sheathing. Your mileage may vary, but it's held up great for the past several weeks.

4.0 out of 5 stars S4i - for the iPhone - still kicking, September 18, 2009
As a recent convert to the iPhone and a headphone junkie, I was making due with my old earbuds and no mic, willing to sacrifice convenience for audio quality. After I stepped on and crushed my Shures, I was living with some Sennheiser CX400s while I dug around the apple site and tried to find a decent pair of headphones that could capitalize on the new inline-remote features. I was having no luck until I found these.

The audio quality on these bad boys is plenty good. Much better than the Sennheisers (which cost about the same), not as clear as the the Shures (which cost twice as much), but with a lot more bass.

The beauty of these headphones is the inline remote. It's a snap to control the volume, skip or repeat tracks, and use the phone hands-free without taking your iPhone out of your pocket. You can also use voice-commands to control other aspects of the iPod, which is cool but I've barely used it. I get self conscious standing on the train saying "Play Songs by Wayne Hancock" loudly into my sternum. The remote/mic is so lightweight I barely notice it on the cable, and I have gotten no complaints about voice quality. All in all, the cabling is pretty lightweight (and on the short side, but long enough to make it from your pocket to your head), but the earphones and joints seem sturdy enough to last for a while. There's a two-year warranty though, just in case.

Two caveats: the first pair I got was defective and almost immediately started malfunctioning. Amazon replaced them right away and the new pair has worked flawlessly. Second, I liked the included rubber sleeves but prefer foam, so I used the foam tips from my Shures, and they really make a better seal.

These are a no-brainer if you are looking for better headphones for your iPhone.

UPDATE: It looks like I wrote this review over a year ago, and these things are still going strong (the replacement pair, anyway). I use these five days a week for at least an hour or two, so there's some wear and tear: the rubber around the connections on the earphones and the plug is split, but to their credit, they still sound and work nearly flawlessly.

This isn't a new problem, but I finally put my finger on it: every now and then the buttons get switched up, and up is down and vice-versa. It's just a momentary annoyance, but I thought I'd mention it, especially in light of the fact the there's a ruggedized version of these coming out any day now, S5i. Built with a sturdier cable and a moisture-proof remote/mic, they might be the right choice if you're going to be taking these on runs or generally manhandling them a lot. Haven't seen 'em though, and these are still the champ until I do.

I have only one complaint about the design itself: the have a straight plug instead of the L-shaped type. It makes the phone/ipod seem that much taller with these plugged in, and I feel like it puts unnecessary stress on the soldering when they're yanked on.

2.0 out of 5 stars Hi hopes dashed. It just didn't live up to the hype, September 4, 2010
I had researched a ton of headphones on amazon and on other sites. Based on the reviews i went ahead and picked up the Klipsch. I had really hoped that this new Kipsch S4i would be the tool that delivered my iphone 4 earbud bliss. Sadly it was not the case. I've had super high end phones like Sure E5C's all the way down to the $8 headsets you can buy on the streets in NY.

I read lots about these and really wanted them to be the right combination. A great headset, a good noise canceling microphone so i could use on the busy streets of NY without having to grab the microphone and put it to my mouth.

Unfortunately, it just didn't do it. For starters, the cords is incredibly thin and tangles instantly! no matter how i tried to store it, it was always a tangled mess when i pulled it out of my pocket. 1 BIG strike. if it's a hassle to use the earbuds, it doesn't make for a good experience.

Second, when i got them in, they sounded...."eh". Not lousy but not great either. I had purchased a pair for $15 that sounded arguably as good and intererstingly enough had the some cord diameter. I thought the ipod remote built in would make it easier but that just became another thing to get tangled.

Then i started using them on the subway. Great except i could hear everything going on around me (which kind of defeats the purpose).

I really don't mind dropping $100 on a good set of quality earbuds. Just make sure that they deliver what they promise.

Sadly, these did not. I like Amazon and i appreciate their return policy (though i rarely use it).